Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I guess the odds are better from higher tier raids but you can get TMs from any raid. Ironically the two tier 2 raids I've completed both gave me TMs but the tier 4 one did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Do raids have to be a certain level to drop TMs? Or can you get them from the lvl 1 raids?

Got a TM from a two bowser raid today.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
8 people showed up for a Level 4 Snorlax raid yesterday. Today nobody showed up for a Level 4 Charizard raid at the same park.

This is the flaw of the whole system.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Got a 15/14/15 Machamp and 15/15/14 Lapras from raids today :getin:

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Astro7x posted:

8 people showed up for a Level 4 Snorlax raid yesterday. Today nobody showed up for a Level 4 Charizard raid at the same park.

Because anybody who cares to have a Charizard could, given enough pinaps and motivation, snag half a dozen during last week's fire and ice event?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

kxZyle posted:

You get three mons from an incubator vs. just one from a raid pass, though. And those three are guaranteed to hatch, while you may lose your 100-coin pass investment to an unwinnable battle.

They don't necessarily need to drop the price, they just need to make passes a safer investment and/or more appealing. Make them last a whole day or something.
Play with more people. Also you can retry raids as many times as you want for free as long as the timer's still going (1 hour total).

quote:

In other news, I used a second Charged TM on my Gyarados and it went back to Outrage from Crunch. :shepface:
If you have dragon tail/outrage it makes a good dragonite killer. Vaporeon's a better water attacker anyway.

Shifty Pony posted:

The more I think about it the more well put together this update is and how targeted it is at ruining the game for spoofers (who manage to avoid detection via whatever Niantic is using to put the slash on their pokemon)

Coins are easier to get now for your average player, but more difficult for a spoofer because you only get 50 per day and you don't have control over when you get them. At the same time they added a new sink for coins in the raid pass system, which also keeps spoofers from just hopping from raid to raid to gather up tons of desirable pokemon. Additionally the new system gives people a way to gently caress with spoofers by feeding their pokemon to keep them from returning.

The only thing that really needs tweaking as far as I can tell is to have the raid pass only get burned when you enter the battle instead of just entering the lobby. Oh and the glitchly health bars in battle.

Lol if you think spoofers are only in it for the money. If anything it's easier for spoofers to go around feeding berries remotely, allowing their team to stay in gyms longer. From what I've seen of a lot of spoofers before the update, they just want to occupy as many gyms as possible, well past the payout cap.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What is the benefit of a spoofer giving their own Pokémon berries? In theory, can't you reach your cap of 50 coins in half an hour if you have enough gyms? There is no point to keep them in the gyms anymore

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Astro7x posted:

What is the benefit of a spoofer giving their own Pokémon berries? In theory, can't you reach your cap of 50 coins in half an hour if you have enough gyms? There is no point to keep them in the gyms anymore

To keep the other teams out of gyms. A lot of these people only do it to say they're in a lot of gyms or out of spite.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've gone to four different four star raids, so far the only one where people left was when it ended up being a Venusaur. People were willing to use their passes on Lapras and Tyranitar. Once the novelty wears off I'll be glad if GPS spoofers join the fights with me though, I don't really give a poo poo at that point if they're using their army of beefy 100% pokemon they sniped from Hong Kong to carry me.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Lol if you think spoofers are only in it for the money. If anything it's easier for spoofers to go around feeding berries remotely, allowing their team to stay in gyms longer. From what I've seen of a lot of spoofers before the update, they just want to occupy as many gyms as possible, well past the payout cap.

This. I don't think spoofers have a problem finding top tier, high IV Pokemon, which is what non-cheating people are aiming to get hopefully through hatching eggs and buying incubators to hatch more eggs and needing coins to buy more. It's just amusing and ego-stroking for them to kick out everyone at their whim and feel like a god or something.

The only exception is if maybe there's some kind of account-selling, gold-farming thing going on but I don't know if that's a thing anymore or how lucrative that even is now to put the time and effort to farm the new gym system.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

15 people showed up for a Tyranitar raid. As we were trying to catch it after taking it down, another 7 arrived :psyduck:

This update is pretty rad

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Who goes out in Western Washington in 96 degrees and knocks poor PopcornBall the Golem out of his gym, my foolproof plan... :negative:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I understand why they do it, but raids being 9-9 is really unfortunate for me. I work 6 days a week and my friends and I usually don't start playing until later at night. Guess we're gonna have to start going out earlier.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Astro7x posted:

Hey bud, count your blessings that you get to experience an actual raid, instead of endlessly getting kicked out of the lobby with an Error message every. drat. time :suicide:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
5 out of my last 8 10k eggs were Mantine. 2 were Gligar.

I want Mantine to be deleted from this game permanently.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Dely Apple posted:

Who goes out in Western Washington in 96 degrees and knocks poor PopcornBall the Golem out of his gym, my foolproof plan... :negative:

Pretty sure it's not possible to hold a gym past 36 hours in King County unless you've got a 15/15/15 3300+ mon. It's brutal out there.

Also the shitload of Vaporeons running around are problematic for Golems.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Every gym near me just went red and every trainer is either a variation on one name or something like "NoGymsForYou." I was wondering where they all went, I guess the spoofing applications must have finally caught up.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
I'm half tempted to configure the Android emulator I use to play lame mobile games on my PC (Instead of you know... real PC games) to put my GPS one street over so I can reach a gym...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BobTheDestroyer posted:

I'm half tempted to configure the Android emulator I use to play lame mobile games on my PC (Instead of you know... real PC games) to put my GPS one street over so I can reach a gym...

Walk you lazy bum.

I go the half mile total to the drive in theater gym near my house and I like it dag nabit.:argh:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Play with more people.

Yeah but that's the thing. I could find a group of players myself, but I shouldn't have to. Raids should spontaneously attract groups on their own, but they don't, cause they're neither accessible nor lucrative enough for that. But they could be. hence my interminable whining on the subject

Well, anyway, it's monday, so hopefully the announcements speed up again and something good happens.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

financially racist posted:

15 people showed up for a Tyranitar raid. As we were trying to catch it after taking it down, another 7 arrived :psyduck:

Did my first Ttar raid yesterday. First it was just 4 people. Then more showed up. Then of course came the issue with not everyone using the same password to be in the same group, the game glitching, etc. I was somehow 'in' even when my game crashed and I had to restart, so when I started picking my mon for the battle, it said I had won. Then I got 5 white balls, none of which did poo poo. Out of the 15 or so people there, only one person managed to catch him.

Then came the Facebook gripes, because this was all put on Facebook, and people getting pissed that the 15 group didn't wait for them, that they tried to battle alone, etc.

So later that night I knocked out a Muk raid myself because gently caress it, I wanted some goodies! No TM yet but plenty of rainbow candies.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did my first Ttar raid yesterday. First it was just 4 people. Then more showed up. Then of course came the issue with not everyone using the same password to be in the same group, the game glitching, etc. I was somehow 'in' even when my game crashed and I had to restart, so when I started picking my mon for the battle, it said I had won. Then I got 5 white balls, none of which did poo poo. Out of the 15 or so people there, only one person managed to catch him.

Then came the Facebook gripes, because this was all put on Facebook, and people getting pissed that the 15 group didn't wait for them, that they tried to battle alone, etc.

So later that night I knocked out a Muk raid myself because gently caress it, I wanted some goodies! No TM yet but plenty of rainbow candies.

Thankfully our Facebook group has been really good at coordinating. Though unfortunately, two people showed up after the first two groups; we didn't see their message because we were all fighting/catching it when they posted.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Had a raid in my hometown yesterday - popped up while my daughter and I were walking the lake. We saw it was a 4 star Tyranitar and went rushing over. There were at least 30 people standing and waiting for the raid to start, and another 10-15 parked in cars along the street. We were able to take it down on the 2nd try with 6 people and I captured the bastard on my 9th and final white ball!! Down to just Unown and Ampharos for my NA dex to be complete!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Thankfully our Facebook group has been really good at coordinating. Though unfortunately, two people showed up after the first two groups; we didn't see their message because we were all fighting/catching it when they posted.

That is the downside, people chiming in that they are coming, and you have no idea because gently caress restarting unless you have to!

4 10ks yesterday. 2 Pinecos, 1 Dratini, and 1 Larvitar. I count that as a great hatch. Plus 4 garbage 5ks and a Phanpy.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I may have missed someone posting this earlier:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/6j6idf/raid_tier_boss_list/

Glad to know I can ignore tier 2s. Tier 1s are all new dex entries for me, so I'll keep tabs on tier 1s "starting soon" near me now!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BrianBoitano posted:

I may have missed someone posting this earlier:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/6j6idf/raid_tier_boss_list/

Glad to know I can ignore tier 2s. Tier 1s are all new dex entries for me, so I'll keep tabs on tier 1s "starting soon" near me now!

excuse me sir but weezing and muk are two of the coolest pokemon ever and i for one will catch every single one i see :colbert:

e: unless i catch a 100% iv one anyway, once i have a 100% iv of a given raid boss i prolly won't fight that one anymore

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 26, 2017

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
I still haven't gotten a muk or weezing yet, so those are great for me. I saw someone on reddit caught a shiny magikarp, so I'd be willing to dump a free raid pass during the week on one if nobody's around.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
You get a coin every 10 minutes and there's a cap of 50 coins a day, right? So if I'm three gyms I just need to hold them for three hours. Easy enough.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
If I put a 'mon in a gym and it goes for; say, 46 hours before being sent back to me, and it's the only one I have in a gym, do I get 100 coins for doing 50 x 2 days, or so I get 50 since it didn't come back to me in the first 24 hour period, and those coins are lost?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Igiari posted:

If I put a 'mon in a gym and it goes for; say, 46 hours before being sent back to me, and it's the only one I have in a gym, do I get 100 coins for doing 50 x 2 days, or so I get 50 since it didn't come back to me in the first 24 hour period, and those coins are lost?

I think you lose them, pretty sure it's making a max of 50 a day. I had two pokémon that were both in a gym for a really similar amount of time, but one gave 38 and one gave 12. Seems like the extra coins just go away.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Did a raid yesterday with 10 other people, and caught myself my first Tyranitar.

98%, 15 15 14, Bite/Crunch :stare:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

This game was laggy as heck on my lovely old phone before, but now it's basically unplayable. I hope they streamline some stuff or I'm just not going to be able to do anything with gyms until I upgrade.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

LanceKing2200 posted:

Did a raid yesterday with 10 other people, and caught myself my first Tyranitar.

98%, 15 15 14, Bite/Crunch :stare:

Power up that Mewtwo killer!

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Given one single fast move TM, what's your priority? I could give my bite/ hydro Gary dragon tail, or I could give my bullet/ submission Machamp Counter. I can't really think of anybody else who's a priority.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

voodoorootbeer posted:

Given one single fast move TM, what's your priority? I could give my bite/ hydro Gary dragon tail, or I could give my bullet/ submission Machamp Counter. I can't really think of anybody else who's a priority.

Same here but with a charge TM - I'm thinking either a Bite/Twister Gyarados (since all 3 options are better) or a Confusion/Seed Bomb Exeggutor (and flip a coin on the chances of getting Solar Beam).

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

voodoorootbeer posted:

You'll want double fighting moves on machamp ASAP. It does the most damage to 3 of the most valuable raid bosses: tyranitar, snorlax, and Lapras.

kxZyle posted:

Yeah but that's the thing. I could find a group of players myself, but I shouldn't have to. Raids should spontaneously attract groups on their own, but they don't, cause they're neither accessible nor lucrative enough for that. But they could be. hence my interminable whining on the subject

Well, anyway, it's monday, so hopefully the announcements speed up again and something good happens.

It's going to be different depending on where you live, but your best shot of meeting people st raids is right when a 4 rated egg hatches. If it's a really good one then you can expect people to arrive within the first 15 minutes, but again it depends on the location.

Anyway, you say you "shouldn't have to" organize with a group, why do you say that?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Machamp is the best attacker vs 3 of the big 6 defenders and best attacker vs 3 of the 7? level 4 raid bosses. They're insanely valuable and I want 6 of them instead of the one double steel move guy I have.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Anyway, you say you "shouldn't have to" organize with a group, why do you say that?

I meant outside the game, like on Facebook or Discord. Raids around here aren't drawing enough people in just by themselves, at least not from what I've seen. I'm hoping that more accessibility would help that.

The rollout continues:

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/879390500394086404

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

When you use a TM do you just get a random move again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

When you use a TM do you just get a random move again?

Yep, any of the other current possible moves.

• Locked thread