Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

I haven't seen any raids nearby yet. They sound fun though. Hopefully one pops soon. Do you get notified if one is coming up in the area?

Yup, every time you open the game. You can also check the start times on the nearby page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Chekans 3 16 posted:

They're 25 and up now.

Nice, thanks!

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
What do the number of angry faces mean next to the raid? I saw raids between 1-3 faces so far, is it just difficulty?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

OGS-Remix posted:

What do the number of angry faces mean next to the raid? I saw raids between 1-3 faces so far, is it just difficulty?

And awesomeness of mon. 3-4 tier gets you Snorlax, Tyranitar, etc. 1-2, karps.

Did my first raid! Just a single karp, pretty small, but got a rainbow candy which I promptly turned into a Dragonite candy, and met some cool people.

Local Facebook page is reporting a ton of Tyranitars in raids. I will be hunting tomorrow!

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

My raid was a two face/star Magmar. It was a red egg.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Cowslips Warren posted:

And awesomeness of mon. 3-4 tier gets you Snorlax, Tyranitar, etc. 1-2, karps.

Did my first raid! Just a single karp, pretty small, but got a rainbow candy which I promptly turned into a Dragonite candy, and met some cool people.

Local Facebook page is reporting a ton of Tyranitars in raids. I will be hunting tomorrow!

I have two raids nearby one with two faces and the other has one. I guess I know which raid I'll be going to.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
There's a raid for a 34,000 Tyranitar not too far away from my house. What does it take to try and catch it? Have to wittle down its CP to zero? Just don't want to waste my time walking over for nothing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, take it down to zero and then you have to catch a much lower CP Tyranitar with some provided special pokeballs (you can use your own berries)

for that level I would hope you'd have at least a couple friends with you, I dunno about soloing 34k :v:

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I went to a one Bowser face raid and it was a 5000 Croconaw. I soloed him with a 2400 double psychic Exeggutor in less than 30 seconds. When I caught him he turned into an 885. I wasn't going to buy raid tokens to begin with, but even with a free daily token that wasn't worth it. Maybe if they change it so instead of catching some lame raid boss with poo IVs you get a shot at a random Unown letter.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Julio Cruz posted:

50 a day should also mean fewer people will end up holding their full allocation of gyms because it won't make them any more coins.

Some spoofers held 25+ gyms around me under the old system. Who knows why...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Heathen posted:

I went to a one Bowser face raid and it was a 5000 Croconaw. I soloed him with a 2400 double psychic Exeggutor in less than 30 seconds. When I caught him he turned into an 885. I wasn't going to buy raid tokens to begin with, but even with a free daily token that wasn't worth it. Maybe if they change it so instead of catching some lame raid boss with poo IVs you get a shot at a random Unown letter.

I believe all raid captures are egg-hatch IV so 10/10/10 minimum

also you can get TMs and those are the real prize

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Sprite Based posted:

So, wait, you don't get stardust from gyms anymore? Only coins?

That...really sucks. A lot. I don't care much about coins, but I really liked getting some regular dust everyday, especially when I was busy with work and couldn't get out and actually do any hunting.

I guess I can feed a berry to a Pokemon...for 20 dust per berry.

Pogo plus helps with stardust. It's no replacement for gym dust but it helps.

GonSmithe posted:

And now it's 50 coins per day, which is horseshit. They're going to be tweaking these numbers a lot the next couple of days, I think.

The new system makes you actually have to put effort into playing the game, and that is the way it should be.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
They're totally gonna make regional exclusives the bosses at Go Fest.

My first Raid was a Level 4 against a Lapras. I managed to see the timer go off with 1 hour and 45 minutes to go, so I told my local groups and we had nearly 40 people show up.
I then went to a level 3, which was a Flareon.
The third was another level 4, but it was just a Venusaur. That was lame, but the turnout was cool.
Fourth of the day was a level 3 Gengar. Small crowd there.
I passed a Muk gym and was really tempted to pull over, but the fifth raid was a level 4 Snorlax so I had to get there before time ran out.

What I learned today while taking out regular gyms is to ALWAYS go into a private room during a raid. This will force spoofers to fight alone.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
My first raid was a 11K Machamo. It's kinda bullshit that you don't get a yellow flash before an attack by the raid boss, also every single time one of my pokemon fainted the machamp used its charge move so my next pokemon would start the fight with 50-30% of its HP. However in a surprisingly generous move by Niantic losing the raid doesn't burn out your raid pass, it's active as long as the raid is available. Beat it on my second try with some instinct dude that sat in his car. The Machamp I caught was 95.6% though :toot:. It has bullet punch/dynamic punch but hopefully TMs will fix that. Speaking of, anyone got a TM yet? I wonder how rare they are.

I hope they sort out the way coin pay out works, feels lame having a defender go back after half a day and get nothing because you already cashed out. Maybe have some sort of bank where all your earned coins go, but you can only cash out 50 a day from it.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 24, 2017

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I managed to snag a little bayleef from my gym which is good because I still need chikorita candies.

Slightly annoyed that after the raid I couldn't berry up the gym it was on top of. Do they still degrade with Raid poo poo going on above it?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
50 coins/day is way more than I got under the old system. I'm a Level 37 Instinct player in a fairly gym-dense city, limited by walking distance, and it was extremely rare for yellow to hold a gym for more than a few hours. I'd usually spend a couple hours walking and fighting to collect 20-30 coins tops (since most gyms I'd take would be flipped back almost immediately, sometimes within minutes). It's not like I play for coins--all I ever use them for is incubators, which at this point are just a novelty for me since the only candy I genuinely need is Mareep to max out my Ampharos (95.6% with preferred move combo :unsmigghh:) but it was really frustrating to get nothing as an Instinct player when the local Valor and Mystic players at my level were sitting safe in warm in L10 gyms, collecting hundreds of coins every day with little to no effort on their part.

My biggest complaint right now is that all of my awesome low-CP attackers are unambiguously worse than my boring-rear end flock of Dragonites, but hopefully that'll change.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I used my first Charge TM to switch out Outrage on my Gyarados.

It got Crunch :negative:

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch

kxZyle posted:

I used my first Charge TM to switch out Outrage on my Gyarados.

It got Crunch :negative:

I got 3 charge TMs today, and got pretty lucky -- got Hydro Pump on my 91% IV shiny Gyarados, and got X-Scissor on my 93% IV Scizor. Got Psychic on my Confusion Espeon, but that's still better than Psybeam so I'm cool with it.

Still need some quick TMs, though. I need to get Steel Wing off of my 100% IV Dragonite with Dragon Claw, and Bullet Punch off of my 95% IV Machamp with Dynamic Punch.

Also, has anyone noticed that EPS has been nerfed on quick moves? Maybe it's my imagination, or glitches/lag, but it seems like moves that used to generate a lot of energy pretty quickly (Bite, Karate Chop) do so at a slower rate now.

Also, save your rare candies -- I have a sneaking suspicion that'll be the only way to power up legendary Pokemon.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
How do you get TMs? Defeat raid bosses?

e: my Blissey has been in a gym for 22 hours straight, what the gently caress

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Sprite Based posted:

Also, has anyone noticed that EPS has been nerfed on quick moves? Maybe it's my imagination, or glitches/lag, but it seems like moves that used to generate a lot of energy pretty quickly (Bite, Karate Chop) do so at a slower rate now.

Who can even tell atm? The bar just bounces up and down randomly.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Louisgod posted:

e: my Blissey has been in a gym for 22 hours straight, what the gently caress
Mine likes its spot too!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Yeah I've also got a Blissey that's been in 36 hours.

I had one Snorlax give me 50 coins upon leaving a gym, but that was 30 minutes past midnight. Do I have to hope no mons leave a gym today? Is the 50 coin limit even based on your local day?

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch

Louisgod posted:

How do you get TMs? Defeat raid bosses?

Yeah, the higher level the raid boss, the more likely it is to drop a TM, and the more likely you are to get multiples.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Who can even tell atm? The bar just bounces up and down randomly.

I had some of the glitchiest battle experience I ever had in this game -- deathloops, health and energy bars bouncing around, being unable to switch out Pokemon, you name it. It was inconsistent, but I'm pretty sure its a result of Niantic trying to fix some of the other battle issues.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So the month before the switch I had a poke sitting in a ten stack in a small rural gym because no one plays this game. If that happened now as I understand I would never see the coins and if I went and made a second account to shave me out of there after a month of waiting I'd have a whopping 50 coins?

Niantic continuing to try to bore out us non city players is admirable.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

weekly font posted:

So the month before the switch I had a poke sitting in a ten stack in a small rural gym because no one plays this game. If that happened now as I understand I would never see the coins and if I went and made a second account to shave me out of there after a month of waiting I'd have a whopping 50 coins?

After a day or so, that Pokemon would be at 0 motivation and have drastically reduced CP. So unless it's a gym where literally NOBODY of the opposite team will encounter it, it'll come home sooner or later. Probably sooner, since the empty heart is a tempting target.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

weekly font posted:

From what I understand, when a raid spawns all pokemon get kicked out of the gym, so it's. It like you will lose your pokemon forever and never see the coins.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
looks like level 4 raids are Snorlax, ttar, Lapras, rhydon, and oddly enough the gen1 starter evolves
level 3 is arguably more useful: Machamp, Gengar, Alakazam, Arcanine and the Eevee variants

there's a map up showing these in Chicagoland so it might be tied to biomes but I don't think so.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Heathen posted:

Did the same mon/cp raid battle just now in my area. Took it down with a 2300 Venusaur and it barely scratched me. Got a rare candy out of it. I know how they work, but do they just give 1 candy for a 'mon or can you get more out of it?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

wisdomHNOX posted:

From what I understand, when a raid spawns all pokemon get kicked out of the gym, so it's. It like you will lose your pokemon forever and never see the coins.

I just like the idea of a giant super-powerful pokemon just rampaging into the gym and kicking everyone out. Bonus points if it's a giant Magikarp.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I have to admit I do like the new gym system better. As someone that doesn't live within walking range of gyms the most coins I've ever seen in a day was 20 off two back to back gyms. Last night on our way home the gf and I took out two gyms and collected our daily max when we woke up this morning.

Also did my first raid last night. Had a choice between an Arcanine and a Magikarp that were going off at the same time. Actually went for the karp since I still don't have a gyrados and wanted a good stats karp.

They need to get on fixing the gym battle lag though. It's all still doable just janky as all hell.

Soarer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 24, 2017

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

wisdomHNOX posted:

Based on a raid I just watched where my Gary has been since this started I would call this fake news.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Just finished a raid. The raid boss was a loving 1076 CP Magikarp. The one it gave me in return was only a 87 CP.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
How do you decouple your google account login from PGNexus? Really don't want that slashing Pokemon.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery

Dr Tran posted:

What I learned today while taking out regular gyms is to ALWAYS go into a private room during a raid. This will force spoofers to fight alone.

How is this done?

I need a new gyms for dummies guide I've lost track of all these changes.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

The New York Times posted:

How is this done?

I need a new gyms for dummies guide I've lost track of all these changes.

Click on Private Room.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Can somebody explain to me how the hell a raid pass works, and why after I spend my daily ticket on a raid battle, wait till the clock counts down till the fight kicks off, the fight is right about to start, then BAM! kicks me out of the lobby

Every. Goddamn. Time :argh:

What the gently caress game, did you just jack my raid pass? How the flying gently caress does this stupid thing work?

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
^^^^^
Once you use a raid pass, you have until the Pokemon timer expires to finish. My group failed 2-3x each till we got it. You have time to revive and start again in the lobby.

Did my first 2 raids today, saw there was 2 tier 4s next to each other. First was a Blastoise that 4 lv 30+ ran out of time on, 2 more showed up and it was easy. Fled t.t but got a tm at least

Second was a venasaur that we needed 5 lv 30+ on, that fled too t.t

The battling is still glitchy AF, and half the time I had someone else's giant exeggutor blocking my screen. Same Pokemon would die several times in a row then I finally get a chance to fight.

Fix your poo poo Niantic, you have something cool. There's a ton of raids going on right now and it's kind of overwhelming. You can also raid every other day if you want with the free pass. I got my free raid pass on the first gym spin today.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Just had a CP 5000 Quilava as a raid boss. I'm level 26 and was able to solo it with a CP 2000 Golem. Hooray type advantage.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Just attempted my first raid- 18K Machamp. My co-raider (aka my 7 year old kid) and I probably could have defeated him except for the bugs that kept cycling through my 'mons and healing Machamp until we ran out of time. Frustrating! I'll try another one tomorrow- it looks like they are frequent enough in my area that I can choose a relatively easy, close raid. But since I don't really play with a group, I can't imagine getting too involved in the raid scene.

Not loving the gym rework as I'd gotten addicted to that sweet, sweet 100 coins per day. But so it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
The idea of getting more rare mons out of raids brought me back to this game, as I'm sure it did for others. Being level 22 and not being able to even try them is a pretty major buzzkill. Im sure to a lot of higher level players getting to 25 doesn't sound like much, but it was the sudden steep grind that burned me out last time.

Bleh.

• Locked thread