Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rastor posted:

As someone who just hit 27, even 30 seems out of reach... :sigh:

Save all your evolutions for the next double XP event and buy lucky eggs. Make sure you have the right amount of candy and evolve as much as you can in the half hour. 27-30 is almost no experience compared to the levels after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Interesting, I got a free raid pass from a gym earlier and at level 37 it doesn't say it's locked. Too bad the nearest gym is 5 km away...

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
It really isn't as far as it seems. At the start of this last event I was level 29, now I'm level 31. And honestly, the only real benefit to being a higher level than 29 (when your pokemon could reach level 30) was getting into those higher gym slots, and even that is gone with the new system. Even a level 40.5 pokemon will crash and burn against something nominally much weaker, if the type matchup is good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

They said they were going to beta test first, the 35 is probably just temporary. I'm sure it'll be 30 when it's fully implemented.

This will be a huge mistake. They should just make it level tiers starting at either level 10, or at most level 15. That both includes more people and hooks more people. I've been "playing" (I would rate myself semi casual, I catch a few Pokémon a day on average) since just after launch and I'm still only on level 27.

Gyms were just starting to get interesting in the old system once I hit level 24-25. Limiting cool poo poo to 30 is just beyond stupid.

I put a 2400CP Snorlax in the local gym at around 8pm eastern. 2 hours later I'm being told he wants berries and I check, he is at 639 CP in the gym.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Had my Vaporeon in a gym for four hours, got four coins. Interesting.

You can also buy max revive and Max potions now as well.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LumpyGumby posted:

Yup, and they expanded the maximum bag size to 1500 (gotta buy them of course)

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Rastor posted:

As someone who just hit 27, even 30 seems out of reach... :sigh:

At 33, 35 seems very far off. :v:

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Yup, and they expanded the maximum bag size to 1500 (gotta buy them of course)

No poo poo? I'm all over that!

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

LumpyGumby posted:

My guy came back after holding a gym for a few hours in Kent, a whole five coins. Thanks Oakbama.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Kheldarn posted:

No, they did exactly what they set out to do: Limit the amount of free MTX currency people can get. People were racking up Pokécoins for free. Now people will have to pay for them.

Granted, it won't work, as only a few will pay for them, but that was their plan.

I was about to write a bunch of words about the new gym system but this is basically it. We have been enjoying a year's worth of pretty easy in-game currency.

I just go from annoyed to dejected about putting effort into gyms when I think about how Niantic is essentially doing what F2P mobile game models are supposed to do. The only personal value I can enjoy is getting the highest level gym badge for irl places I'd be proud of "defending."

:palmon: Welcome to Gyms 2.0, the gardening simulator: pull out the enemy weeds overgrowing a garden you want, plant your own weeds, and then make sure to water it with some berries every day. :palmon:

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
I haven't seen any numbers yet but it looks like the arbitrary barrier for motivation decay is 3000cp. That is if you have a mon over 3000 it will decay significantly faster than one less than 3000.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Robokomodo posted:

No poo poo? I'm all over that!

Fffffffffffffffffuck yes me too! I want a huge bag!

Get that Digimon plant poo poo outta here.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

NickBlasta posted:

I haven't seen any numbers yet but it looks like the arbitrary barrier for motivation decay is 3000cp. That is if you have a mon over 3000 it will decay significantly faster than one less than 3000.

Gonna be a whole lot of CP 299x defenders

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

So basically the only way to earn coins reliably is to put a pokemon in at 2 am and let it sit overnight. Fun.
The new system is basically a gift to spoofers who can keep taking gyms and feeding berries from their home. For anyone who actually walks around​ it simply sucks.

Yeah this new system kinda screws over anyone who didn't live/work/commute through an area where they Gym.

My neighborhood is completely dominated by the two enemy teams, and the only way I managed to stay in gyms is by going to the ones on the way and near my work (which are also much more contested). But now that's out the window because I can't keep checking up on them to feed them berries or whatever and I have to hope the closer players will give my guys berries.

also I'm sure glad I spent all that time powering my guys to 3000+ cp only to find out they're pretty much useless now.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 23, 2017

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I quit. Anyone who wants to join me on the Garfield GO Discord channel can follow me.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Third gym of the day, third time I get a pokemon back within an hour with no reward. The new gym system is so much better in so many ways, but there is no loving point in doing it, and it's honestly sapping my desire to keep playing this dead, stupid game.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Emasculator posted:

Third gym of the day, third time I get a pokemon back within an hour with no reward. The new gym system is so much better in so many ways, but there is no loving point in doing it, and it's honestly sapping my desire to keep playing this dead, stupid game.

You get 1 coin per full hour. The time is cumulative though, so if you sit in a gym for 35 minutes you get nothing, but put another mon in that same gym for 25 more minutes and you get a coin.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Are raids seriously exclusive to level 35 and up? "Let's advertise this cool new feature that maybe 2% of the players will actually be able to participate in!"

I've been playing since day 1 and I'm level 29. Some of the popular youtube players aren't even level 35.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 23, 2017

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

voodoorootbeer posted:

Isn't that actually a better coin per mon per hour ratio than before?

Well it depends on how you look at it.

Before, I could go around to several gyms all in a row and immediately cash out. I could easily hit 3 gyms on my walk home from work and get 30 coins. If they got kicked out within 10 minutes, I still got 30 coins.

Now... I could do all that work and effectively get zero coins.

gently caress off Niantic. This new system totally favors the spoofers that can just keep going around and adding berries to up their Pokemon's motivation with zero effort.

So if the limit is 20 Pokemon in gyms, and 1 cent per hour, you can make the same 100 coins by having 20 Pokemon defend 20 gyms for 5 hours. Or 10 Pokemon for 10 hours, or 5 Pokemon for 20 hours.... Yeah, it seems easier, but not when you have spoofers that are going to just go around booting everything out instantly.

I would have rather them given more coins per hour, but limited it to something like 5 gyms per user. But whatever, I am not going to bother with this game anymore

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
The only real difference to me is that all 8 gyms in town are run by only 6 teenagers instead of the previous 10.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Fish Of Doom posted:

Are raids seriously exclusive to level 35 and up? "Let's advertise this cool new feature that maybe 2% of the players will actually be able to participate in!"

I've been playing since day 1 and I'm level 29. Some of the popular youtube players aren't even level 35.

they're exclusive to 35 and up for now as an early access/test kind of scenario, the level limit will be dropping pretty quickly I imagine

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I've played reasonably since release and I'm only 26, late 30s feels like the Realm of the Damned. Or... Realm of the Pigeon Collector/Murderer.

Pigeons are the worst, they eat your lunch.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Protip posted:

Spawns definitely confuse me. I recently started a new job on a college campus and enjoy taking walks during the day to get out of the office for a bit. There are multiple stops on campus and after this update we went from 3 gyms to 4. However there are 0 spawns when I walk around. Pokémon just don't seem to spawn anywhere on campus and even the "nearby" tracker never shows Pokémon at any of the stops on campus. I have no idea why this is. At least I can spin stops but it'd be nice to see some spawns as well.

Ditch posted:

I've seen 'islands' where there are stops but no spawns (for instance the US Senate office buildings). Seems random.

I hear if you lure a stop or use incense in a no-spawn zone, rare pokemon will spawn more often since there's no pre-existing spawn table to draw from.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

So basically the only way to earn coins reliably is to put a pokemon in at 2 am and let it sit overnight. Fun.
The new system is basically a gift to spoofers who can keep taking gyms and feeding berries from their home. For anyone who actually walks around​ it simply sucks.

It really is. I bet now people are working on building an army of berry bots the just walk around feeding berries to teammates. No one can see them so they'll never get reported.

Robokomodo posted:

Is HP even a factor now? I got a blissey with like 400 HP because I've been walking it like forever. Is CP the only factor and I should only worry about my dragonite and Tyranitar?

HP is doubled for gym defenders, making it the most important defensive stat, especially now that overall CP doesn't determine gym placement.

Duckman2008 posted:

I put a 2400CP Snorlax in the local gym at around 8pm eastern. 2 hours later I'm being told he wants berries and I check, he is at 639 CP in the gym.

Can you still shave your own teammates out of gyms like in old system?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Can you still shave your own teammates out of gyms like in old system?

They're supposed to be kicked out based on time spent in the gym, starting with the pokemon who was in the gym the longest.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Emasculator posted:

Heck, same. Now that this is a garden simulating game that requires me to travel around my neighborhood to water my pokemon, it's not very fun anymore.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Mister Gyrados did his best and I got the 10 hour guard a gym award, but his lifeless body returned to me didn't come with any money.

:xcom:

Edit: He did eventually bring me a dime. And that someone is crazy enough to play this at 10 pm wandering Federal Way.

Dely Apple fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 23, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I now have even less motivation to fight the gyms than I did with Blissey stacks. The most :effort:.

What the hell Niantic, is there anything you fuckers are competent at?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
And just for context for that.

Within walking range of my home is one gym and one pokestop and that's it. And that's on a good day, when I am able to walk to begin with. There used to be more but they were on private property.

Said gym has been usually full of 10-Blissey stacks. Wearing down the 10-Blissey stack would get you 10 coins.

They nerfed the rewards... so people who own cars and can reach remote locations no longer get 100 daily free? And ordinary players get a "gently caress you"?

... the more I analyze the situation the more I realize that this game is so threadbare it doesn't have anything to play for, and the developers simply don't give half a poo poo about it being a game. Everything I wrote up to a rough launch has turned out to just be Niantic wholly unable or unwilling to develop their app and I wish I didn't spend a cent on it. How hard is it to set up a system to crowdsource the required map data? Apparently entirely impossible.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
A lot of you are freaking out without even actually having the time to try the new system out.

Me and a friend just went out for 3 hours and managed to take and add Pokémon into 18 gyms, in areas that we always play in with lots of fighting between the gyms. One of those gyms got taken back, which we took back. So all of these gyms have had our mons in them for 2-3 hours.

Battling gyms is actually fun now and not a horrible grind. The berry system has diminishing returns if you are the only person feeding a Pokémon, and each Pokémon can only eat 10 berries total until it's kicked out. I understand that some people just want to have 10 gyms that they can collect an easy 100 gold per day from, but that's what they want and I'm okay with that. This update requires you to play the game to get gold, and I'm fine with that.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah I figure the experience is entirely different when you can reach 18 gyms in 3 hours. Nothing new there.

You get a very lovely version of the game unless you live in an area Niantic cares about. I live in a small city and 18 gyms? No, I wouldn't get to that many walking as long as I can for three days, nevermind in three hours. And I've seen the rural area mom lives in - nearest pokestop to the house is about ten miles away.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Uh, I really don't think most people playing this game both lack transportation and don't have much of anything in walking distance. I also really think you underestimate how much work it'd take to get data for the entire world, crowdsourced or not.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GonSmithe posted:

This update requires you to play the game to get gold, and I'm fine with that.

This is exactly it. The entire problem with the old system was, as we all know, basically 'rich get richer' and 'no effort to collect your 100 coins a day' once you were a high level player, and gently caress anybody low level. This new system fixes all three of those, to a degree. Is it going to have new problems, sure, does anyone know, no, because it's been what, 10 hours?

some of you people are shameful in your complaints, though, god drat.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

flatluigi posted:

Uh, I really don't think most people playing this game both lack transportation and don't have much of anything in walking distance. I also really think you underestimate how much work it'd take to get data for the entire world, crowdsourced or not.

Yeah, I know, I'm a walking name/post combo and I'm bored out of my mind most times so I have a lot of tolerance for grinding. Locally we have the one park with a pokestop and a gym, downtown has four gyms and a few dozen stops.

Also the map data exists and actually is in Google Maps. It would need a system to mark points of interest, which scales with the amount of servers you throw at it. It's not a question of "work", it's a question of programming skill to extract the signal from the user data. Though given how well Niantic has done with spoofers, I don't hold high hopes for them having anyone competent enough.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I wandered up to the single gym within walking distance last night at about 10.30, on my way to collect my partner from her yoga class. Looks like five people bothered to visit our tiny rural church between then and 5am this morning. Nice to see religion still has such a strong following amongst the young.

The church has been lvl 8 with four blisseys at the bottom for several months, though. I couldn't be bothered to fight it, even spoofers couldn't be bothered to prestige it. Nice to see some changeover, so yay?

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

The new system actually encourages interacting with gyms since it's not a huge grind anymore and I can just throw berries at teammates if I want some reward for only a few seconds of work. Gym badges are nifty too.

The fact I can no longer earn an instant 10 cents from open gyms isn't bothering me much.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I just hate that I keep forgetting to spin the gym so I have to turn back around for it.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Away all Goats posted:

They're supposed to be kicked out based on time spent in the gym, starting with the pokemon who was in the gym the longest.

I'd like to try to battle in the new gym system but literally every gym in the city is owned by my team, full and well fed, so there's nothing I can do!
I did manage to drop some mons in suburban gyms last night and all but one are still there. And indeed, the 3000+ CP ones decayed really fast, the others not so much. Quite arbitrary! I have too many useless 3000+ ones now...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The only complaint about the new system I have is 3000+ CP Pokemon decaying faster. Everything else is a positive change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

"My playstyle is somewhat inconvenienced by this update!"
:qqsay:

-people ITT

• Locked thread