Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I just ran out to get my very first Gen II mon and guess what? We can now add Sentret to the list of things that can actually be Dittos.

Also holy hell this game is nearly unplayable unresponsive right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Most of the new cosmetic options look like poo poo. The lighting and textures seem totally off and clash with the original designs. Reminds me of all the community DLC for The Sims back in the day. (Or, to be slightly less dated, most Skyrim workshop stuff)

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

mastershakeman posted:

Lures are still working for 6 hours (i think). pretty nice

Correct. I'm 99% sure the official Twitter account said this goes until 4PM PST on Saturday.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Sanford posted:

I just caught a bear with a moon on its face. Is that good? I don't know whats going on any more.

I got one too and would also like to know.

Is there some place to find (and submit, for that matter) data on the relative rarity of pokemon in this game, gen II or otherwise? Maybe something that archives scan query results so I can see "yeah there are like a billion Venonat in Portland but if you see a Geodude you should probably put some effort into getting it"?

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

kuroiXiru posted:

I think you can use the Global Nest Atlas that way if you search for individual species.

Thanks for sharing, but I'm not looking for instances of a particular species though. I'm just curious about the general frequencies of spawns in a given biome, disregarding nests. I enjoy the posts when people share what's common and what's not in their area but I realize they can clutter up the thread and it's an inefficient way of compiling that data. I think it would be interesting to browse a map or spreadsheet and was wondering if anyone has made such a project. Especially now that we have a bunch of new species for which I haven't developed a rarity scale based on experience.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Away all Goats posted:

Gonna pile in on the anecdotal evidence here; my Dragon Scale was also part of my 7 day bonus.

Same. Dragon Scale on 7 bonus.

Just now my fiancee got a Metal Coat out of an unremarkable pokéstop spin though.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Away all Goats posted:

I just realized this release was a stealth nerf to mass evolving. None of the new gen pokemon are 12 candy evolutions like Pidgey/Weedle/Caterpie
But the Pinap Berries and evolved catch candy bonuses might actually offset that. I'm throwing Pinap Berries at all the low level Pidgeys I can find, reserving a handful for rare and desirable spawns.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

bobjr posted:

Slowking gets fire blast so if people attack gyms with grass or bug it'll surprise them.

Yes but type effectiveness and STAB are the same multiplier in this game, right? So if a Slowking uses fire blast on a grass type, it's just as much of an advantage as if it had just used a psychic attack, correct?

I don't get what's so bad about this. The author pretty much opens with "hey so this is quite silly and not mean to be taken very seriously; read it if you want to have some fun, and if you don't want to hey that's alright."

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 21, 2017

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Dr Tran posted:

Is Mareep common anywhere?

Certainly not here. I haven't seen one yet here in Portland. For anyone who cares about this stuff, here's a dump of all Gen 2 I've seen (I think I did well subtracting my hatches, nests, and gym sightings). Anything not listed is 0.

21 Sentret, 2 Furret, 12 Hoothoot, 15 Ledyba, 2 Ledian, 38 Spinarak, 4 Chinchou, 42 Natu, 7 Marill, 1 Sudowoodo, 8 Hoppip, 6 Aipom, 6 Sunkern, 17 :wooper:, 24 Murkrow, 1 Wobbuffet, 1 Gligar, 9 Snubbull, 1 Teddiursa, 1 Slugma, 3 Swinub, 2 Octillery, 3 Mantine, 2 Skarmory, 1 Houndour, 3 Phanpy.

I tap just about everything I see if I can manage, but there's still going to be some underrepresentation of the common ones of course.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Blossoms just updated with Gen 2 support about an hour ago, get it while it's hot! Time to check those IVs.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I know this is foolish to ask because it's Niantic but does anyone know when the storage discount ends? All I can find on official channels is "through Feb 28th PST". Midnight? Who knows?

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Marf Revus posted:

How many evolution items have you guys gotten? Picked up my ninth tonight and not sure if I'm insanely lucky or what. The only two other people I know who still play have gotten one between them 😳
I had gotten one from the bygone era of "guaranteed" 7th day drops and then nothing until this Sunday when I got 3 more.

I'm pretty sure I saw it's a roughly 0.15% chance that a given drop will be an evo item. With some back of the envelope math that's roughly 1 item/150 pokestops if you average 4ish items per stop (slightly generous estimate).

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Shifty Pony posted:

I got confusion/psychic with the name.
Same.

Also, goddammit do I hate it when I throw a pinap berry on something and it turns out to be a ditto. Literally just happened again while I was posting this.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Willsun posted:

Someone in my town swears the same for one of those promoted Starbucks stops. That would make sense if that's related and true, but boy that would be sinister.

Now that you mention it, I realize I got 2/4 of my evo items from Sprint store stops.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Willsun posted:

An enemy in my area has been using a lowbie Gastly to train their gyms.

There's one gym (and only one) in a nearby busy neighborhood that regularly turns Valor and it'll have 4-6 50CP Gastly in the bottom slots. It's really weird and suspicious.

Also, gently caress these 10k eggs. I've gotten 3 Gligar in a row. I've still never gotten a Lapras, Chansey, Aerodactyl, or Larvitar. Level 35. :(

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Fish Of Doom posted:

I don't understand this. Are Koffing and Grimer exclusive to really really specific biomes or what? The only ones I've gotten have come from eggs.
I've caught about 20 wild Koffing since launch, they're quite rare (Portland, OR - water/bug/grass area). I haven't seen a single Grimer though, those fuckers are borderline mystical.

As long as I'm on the subject I need to gripe that I still haven't hatched or seen a single Aerodactyl, Chansey, Lapras, or Snorlax (or Grimer). I'm level 35. Though I've been blessed with a respectable number of Dratinis - including two wild Dragonites - so I can't complain too much I guess.

seiferguy posted:

Eggs pretty much are worthless, aren't they?
Sign me up for the "angry at 10k Mantine and Gligar" club.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 27, 2017

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Visual Sneeze posted:

As long as I'm on the subject I need to gripe that I still haven't hatched or seen a single Aerodactyl, Chansey, Lapras, or Snorlax (or Grimer). I'm level 35. Though I've been blessed with a respectable number of Dratinis - including two wild Dragonites - so I can't complain too much I guess.

What an afternoon, I just found my first Lapras a block from my house (thanks to the pokehuntr scanner) and hatched my first Chansey on the way!

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Dr Tran posted:

Congrats! I got a 93% last night with water moves. People were jumping a fence to get it.

Everybody, what type badge seems the hardest to get?
I'm barely at 78/200 on the Ice badge
Steel by a considerable margin here. I'm only at 25. Doing better on ice even without many Swinub here but that's probably just because I've stumbled into several Jynx nests over the months.

As for tracking stuff, pokehuntr.com has been back up and fairly reliable lately, it's how I finally got my Lapras yesterday.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 28, 2017

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

No, I just didn't hit any stops for two days but that has never stopped me from continuing a streak before
Are you sure? Because that's kind of what a "streak" is.

I mean that sincerely, not just to be a condescending rear end. My experience has been that missing a day starts it over at 1.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

AlphaKretin posted:

It's not officially a softban, but if you get kicked out of a gym fight due to GPS adrift you can't re enter for a while.
I remember someone here saying something like "it thinks you're still fighting so if you go spin a stop you'll alert it that you aren't and kick its rear end into gear, then you can re-enter". It might be bullshit and it's certainly anecdotal, but it did work for me when I tried it. Of course it could have just been that enough time had passed. Still, it might be worth trying next time it happens if there's a stop nearby.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

seiferguy posted:

Am I being trolled here

I can't speak for Halibut but no trolling over here, it makes sense to me. I get more ultra balls and pinap berries than I know what to do with and I don't use a tracker regularly so it's not like I'm swimming in Snorlax and Chansey, so what else am I going to do with them? Get candies to power up my perfect but effectively useless Nidoqueen and Raticate? Nah, I'll turn that pinap berry into another ~275XP down the road with a Lucky Egg evolution batch. Sure it's chump change, but a penny saved is a penny earned...

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Parrotine posted:

I love how most Rhyhorns evolving into Rhydons have Megahorn as their defense option, specifically to tell one certain palm tree to gently caress off royally whenever he tries setting up any Solarbeams

Except that because the Super Effective and STAB multipliers are identical, the Rhydon would still be better off with Stone Edge.

e: I just realized bug would be doubly super effective. Even still, it's not that much better and is of course extremely situational.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 6, 2017

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Dr Tran posted:

I evolved 3 Bellosum and all got poo poo movesets.

My Sunflora got Razor Leaf and Solar Beam. 1500 cp, I use it often to train against Vaporeon and Rhydon

fwiw I had the same experience. My two Bellosum both have fairy moves. My Sunflora is a great CP for prestiging with 2x grass.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Willsun posted:

To be fair to a lot of casual players, the game's algorithm hardly chooses electric types at all when going into a gym with Gyarados even if the first enemy is a Gyarados and you have a high CP electric type ready with full health. My guess is that the highest CP electric types are only mid to low compared to everything else so that's why the game doesn't queue them at first pick.

I have a death squad of ~2300CP Jolteons (whoever recommended Electabuzz must clearly not have my bad luck of getting fighting moves), but I always have to override the lovely algorithm to get them on my anti-Gyarados team. I'm picking off a gym with a single Hydro Pump Gyarados in it and what does it select for my 1st slot? Why, my Rock Smash / Earthquake Rhydon, of course! Double vulnerable to the enemy charge move and with both attacks being weak due to flying type defender - what the hell, game.

Robokomodo posted:

I'm level 35 and still haven't found a decent snorlax. I have terrible luck. However, I hatched 2 2ks on my walk to work. Wonderful grimers. Fight me.

36 here and I still haven't found a decent Snorlax. Full stop. I did hatch my first Grimer though! In your face, "financially racist".

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 20, 2017

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Ballz posted:

Event over and I have seven 2ks to hatch. Here's hoping :pray:

I'm still getting 2x XP and Lucky Egg discounts over here. But yeah, it was scheduled to end at 1:00 PDT if I'm not mistaken. A late end is par for the course with these events though.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Drunk Nerds posted:

Wait, is mareep good in battle, or just rare?

Ampharos actually looks quite good in this game. Just hope you don't get the fighting charge move. A/D/S is 211 / 172 / 180. It doesn't hit as hard as Magnemite or Jolteon, but it has way more staying power than any other electric type in the game so far. Jolteon and Electabuzz are the next highest at 232 / 201 / 130 and 198 / 173 / 130, respectively. Data from Silph Road.

Note: I have no personal experience with the bastard. I haven't seen or hatched a Mareep yet.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 29, 2017

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
My greater neighborhood is lousy with level 10 Mystic stacks and there's nothing I can do about. I haven't shaved yet but goddammit I'm tempted to when I see the same person in gym after gym and when I meet them in person they tell me they have like 35 gyms. Leave some for the rest of us, ffs.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Add me to the "I've got plenty of grass so 'meh' " camp here in Portland too (not a weed joke). The kicker? I'm going out of town for the first time in ages this weekend and was looking forward to finding different things. LOL NOPE. Just my luck, eh?

Speculation: Water event got a Magikarp hat; Hoppip propeller beanie for the grass event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Steve Jorbs posted:

How did you bastards get so many Larvitar candies? I've only seen one pop up that I caught that happily turned out to be 93% albeit low leveled. Time to grind...

I've got Kabuto and Geodude candy for days though.

I have no idea. I talked with the guy who coordinates the Mystic group on Facebook for our city at a meet-up on Sunday and he was showing off the 180 larvitars he had caught so far. I mean really, what the gently caress. I've seen 1 and that was before this event started. Granted, he did say he hadn't slept in a couple days and played for 14 hours straight at one point. I would ask why he does these things when there are thousands of better games to be binging on, but it's obvious this guy REALLY gets off on making himself the center of attention in the group.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 24, 2017

• Locked thread