Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
50 coins is the max daily limit now, you could've gotten screwed over after the update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
^^^^^
Once you use a raid pass, you have until the Pokemon timer expires to finish. My group failed 2-3x each till we got it. You have time to revive and start again in the lobby.

Did my first 2 raids today, saw there was 2 tier 4s next to each other. First was a Blastoise that 4 lv 30+ ran out of time on, 2 more showed up and it was easy. Fled t.t but got a tm at least

Second was a venasaur that we needed 5 lv 30+ on, that fled too t.t

The battling is still glitchy AF, and half the time I had someone else's giant exeggutor blocking my screen. Same Pokemon would die several times in a row then I finally get a chance to fight.

Fix your poo poo Niantic, you have something cool. There's a ton of raids going on right now and it's kind of overwhelming. You can also raid every other day if you want with the free pass. I got my free raid pass on the first gym spin today.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
The city fb group made a discord channel, and a city scanner had a long running discord channel in place already for unowns/Lapras/tyranitar/Snorlax etc notifications. I'd just show up at a yellow egg raid and ask how ppl are coordinating

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Astro7x posted:

caught the Snorlax. L

Do you remember what kind of throw/berry combo you did? Just wondering if all Tier 4 pokemon are tough to catch or if it's just the starter pokemons I had to deal with (Blastoise/Venasaur jumping around, wasted a bunch of golden razz and all my premiere balls)

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
If you're new to attacking like I am, this was pretty helpful as far as figuring out what pokemon to farm/power up. Wish Alakazam had more HP, with the lag didn't even get a chance to dodge/attack when I raided.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sn9XiNlwAXxwccK-YtJo_vM6nZRN4VhGjm2cKhuaZBo/htmlview?sle=true

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

Where do I see his attack and defense stats? Is it his two moves that he has? He only has Rock Smash (15) and Rock Slide (80).

Nah the moves are separate from his "IV" stats (attack/hp/defense). You need to select the pokemon, hit the spring? (3 rows) on the bottom right and appraise it. It'll give you a basic overview of your pokemon IV, and you can narrow that down using an IV calculator like https://pokemon.gameinfo.io/en/tools/iv-calculator. With machines now, I wouldn't bother checking a pokemon's IV unless it's a "Overall, your [Pokémon] is a wonder! What a breathtaking Pokémon!/Overall, your [Pokémon] simply amazes me. It can accomplish anything!/Overall, your [Pokémon] looks like it can really battle with the best of them!" so it's at least 82%+

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
I still haven't gotten a muk or weezing yet, so those are great for me. I saw someone on reddit caught a shiny magikarp, so I'd be willing to dump a free raid pass during the week on one if nobody's around.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Machines are stackable right? I think I got 1 in the first raid I did, haven't gotten any since

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

LumpyGumby posted:

Only done two raids so far, both by myself. No TMs yet, but five rate candy, which is 25 kilomi don't have to walk for Tyranitar.

I'd save the rare candys for the eventual legendary pokemon. Tyranitars pop up as raid bosses, even if you don't have some way to coordinate, people will show up

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

This is the TM drop frequency according to Reddit:

tier 1 0.11
tier 2 0.14
tier 3 0.5
tier 4 1.0

so 3 from 2 is a bit on the lucky side, but not too unexpected if they were both high level raids.

I saw another survey going with 64% on a tier 4, which is closer to my lovely RNG of 1 tm in 4x tier 4s, tier 3, and a tier 2.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
First time I ran into any kind of issue, and of course it's when I finally get into a Tyranitar raid. Finish up attacking, see it go down, and all I see is "Error" and boots me back to lobby. I waited a few seconds before I finally got the raid items to pop up, then I see a black screen with a spinning pokeball. Fuckers didn't even let me catch the ttar, though I'm just going to remain optimistic and say it would've eaten my golden razz berries.

RESTART YOUR POGO APP BEFORE RAID BOSSES :bang:

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

flatluigi posted:

CalcyIV is a good app and doesn't interact with the game at all past taking screenshots.

Thanks for this, was using iv go without the login before. So much easier.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
With how rare TMs seem to be for me, I'm saving mine for golem/machamp/tyranitars.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
+1 to Facebook or preferably discord groups. There's a gymhuntr bot on discord that shoots out raid notifications based on area if you set it up correctly which is nice. I always ask ppl at raids if they want a discord invite, and most are appreciative for more people to play with.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

OldMemes posted:

If the catch rate for the legendaries was higher, that would be nice - 2% is just silly, 20-30% would be fairer.

you got your wish!

quote:

(Using GamePress' formula and Grand Unified Catch Theory)
Assume that each throw you land is pretty skilled:
Curve ball
Golden razz
Great throw (middle of the range for great throw)
Has gold medal bonuses on ice and flying
For a single successful throw like this, on an articuno:
Old base rate = 13% chance to catch
NEW base rate = 19% chance to catch
Assume that you land these throws with up to 5 premier balls in a single raid:
Old base rate: 50% overall (with 5 tries) chance to catch
NEW base rate: 65% overall (with 5 tries) chance to catch
Now let's say you're great at throwing pokéballs AND you're on a majority team or usually doing raids with teammates. So maybe you earn enough premier balls to land up to 10 hits in a single raid:
Old base rate: 75% overall (with 10 tries) chance to catch
NEW base rate: 88% overall (with 10 tries) chance to catch

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/6pm0u1/changes_to_july_25th_game_master/
nice little buff

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Downtown Charleston is always Magnemites and voltorbs through all the nest changes. Only took a couple trips to get the steel and electric badge.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
A lot of people are still using FB chat in my city. When I came back right before raids, luckily players around my area started up a discord server that is easier for me to keep track of. Now whenever I see strangers at a raid I always ask if they came from discord, and if they want to join. It's simple enough to show them the invite code and they can open their browser and get started.

Just got back from a couple morning raids thanks to discord.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
We were able to group up around 8ish to grab a Moltres. Nice to not have the typical 9-5s. Wanted to head out since East coast didn't get any fire birds last night

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/6q5p8m/solo_machamp_raid_with_lvl_265ish_team/
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/6npqhq/level_32_walked_5_evees_to_solo_machamp/

Here's a couple posts, surprised you don't need lv 30+ mons to take one down. I've got 2 machamps and a poliwrath 2x fighting, and luckily for me people still want to do tyranitar raids, so I've been saving my dust for other pokemon.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

LumpyGumby posted:

After we got knocked out and revived I jumped back in. I'm not sure if the other players realized they could come back in, as only I and one other players rejoined.

Were they just standing around and not doing anything, or were you looking at the battle screen and only seeing a count of 2 people? There's a bug when people rejoin with a second team that doesn't always show them as fighting.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Or if the first lobby has 20 people in it, the 21st gets put in a new lobby all by themselves. Some groups do private battles to keep spoofers from taking a spot, I only bother with that when we have 19-20 and literally don't have room for a spoofer.

If that happens, you get a group of ,21-25 ppl at a raid. Really cool people could drop out from the 20 lobby raid after the raid boss is 5-10% hp and start another lobby.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

robziel posted:

The Great Eye?

Probably his city's map. My city's map has been down since the eclipse, and it's such a huge advantage knowing where the raids are without using gymhuntr.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Today the Pokemon Trainer login thing was hosed and there were a lot of people at raids screaming at their phones and Niantic and whatever. My five-year old told a handful of them it was just a game, which owned.

This owns.

If it's a small group or some hydro pump non-sense, I'l max revive before I get to my 6th pokemon. I think your damage contribution still gets wiped clean, but I'd rather use my golems/ttars 2x than a B-team and hope it's enough.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Lv 20 bite/crunch ttars will still be worth using if you're low on dust. I'm hoping it's not going to go into min/max mode for Mewtwo, but I've been seeing less and less people show up for raids the past couple weeks.

VVV the shadow Mewtwo and ttar are lv 20

GTJustin fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 31, 2017

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
IVs really only matter if you're trying to min max raid bosses with small groups. I generally only pay attention to high attack IVs as fast moves do have breakpoints, but that's only cause there's nothing else to do really. I don't have trouble finding raids or the people to do them with.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Unless you're drowning in millions of dust, I would push that Geodude/golem to lv 30 and call it a day. It doesn't matter now if you evolve/power up first because of TMs. Before TMs you would want to evolve first and see if you got the ideal moveset before dumping dust.

This is assuming you are in the America's and taking on raikous and don't have rhydons to play with. If you are in other regions, I'd wait till raikou rotates.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

The New York Times posted:

Ok got my invite, but I need some work on my curveballs. What's the trick to locking the target size? I never tried it but now I feel like it's time.

And is this still the best technique for curveballs?

E- fixed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qdjCk-cT08&t=24s

There you go. You must throw during the attack phase, if you throw any other time the set circle will reset (jumping/flying up and down is the biggest offender).

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Das Doppelganger posted:

Out of curiosity, how many started playing this game 'for their kids' but will keep playing when the kids get bored with it?

My story: Kid played but nobody else did so he couldn't get a Legendary because he didn't know anybody. Mom decided she would help and started playing just over a month ago. Got him into a raid and SHE got Articuno (sp?) but HE did not. So I'm sitting the car in the park while she goes to gather things to level up to help him more. After about 20 minutes I decide "Ok, why just sit here bored for the foreseeable future as they play this. I can help out, so I loaded the game, got out, and started playing about a month ago.

I'm creeping in on Level 27 and while it all started looking to help him out, I'd probably play if he gives it up.

That's the case with a bunch of the people I play with, most of them are ~40-50 and really into the game, always asking where the next raid is and the best part for me, they walk A LOT. There's one that's lv 32 or 33 who's put in over 2k km, and a couple others who are 1.5k km in. It's an absolute blast to play with them. I'll show them stuff off of Silph Road like how to do the set circle lock trick, which counters and movesets for the raid bosses, and one guy will always be down to do Tyranitar raids with me since they seem to be less common. It took them a while to get used to discord, but now they're constantly sending out messages of where raids/eggs are if the city map is down.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Louisgod posted:

I'm sitting on 250k stardust and am not sure what I should do with it:

I have a pretty good spread but don't know what the best thing for battle is right now. I can pump it into a second Mewtwo to get him to level 30 too I guess.

No shame in having a stockpile for gen 3 mons you like, or 100%ers. Maybe a Raikou if you have a good one? It's being really nitpicky though

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon/245

Suicune has hidden power, which could be any element. So yeah, worst legendary

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Charleston, SC has a ton of magnemites/voltorbs downtown, plus magikarp/poliwags of course. Met a guy from Utah who showed me all the geodude/larvitar he's got saved up, and he comes over here and chases all the water pokemon :3:

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, are you kidding me? I could look around at my near-ish gyms and figure out if it was worth heading around my normal route, or changing it up. I also saw a pokemon I didn't have, so I adjusted to make sure I could pick that one up, too. It was pretty awesome; it felt like magic.

The nearby pokemon you are kind of SoL for though, especially if you're in a new area and don't know where the spawn points are, then you are at the mercy of pokehuntr/city maps and hopefully it pinpoints it. The park I grind at has a couple spawn points you have to go out of your way for when you see a nearby pokemon, plus depending on your cell data it could take a few seconds to actually show up, by then you might have walked past it.

I wouldn't mind if Niantic bans all city maps, but they need a better system to find raids besides people having their app open and walking/driving past gym spots.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Psychobabble! posted:

:crossarms: You know you can click on the little three foot thing in the nearby pokes window and it shows you the spawn point, right?

I click on the psyduck and it just says "find these Pokemon in the wild!"

e: VVV Yeah I knew stops/gyms nearby will show you, I need to search on pokehuntr/maps to find the spawn points for Psyduck/Bulbasaur. Before you could actually figure out where they were if you eliminated the stop/gym pokemon spawn and got the full sighting page but now it's complete garbage.

I wish Niantic would work on a raid map based off your gym defenders at least, this would give gyms a meaningful use outside of gold gym spins/50 coin dailies. You can already see raids nearby if you go to remote feed, the raids will show up at your current raid, but it's tedious.

GTJustin fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 17, 2017

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Your dumb theory sucks

Normal: 59
Legendary: 144
Ex pass: 0

There's a 38 who has done 200, and a 40 who has done 300 and 0 invites as well.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Have the Mewtwo passes mostly come out first in the big cities? Charleston, SC isn't the biggest but there's a ton of gyms downtown, and so far 0 Mewtwo raids.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
I think it's a dick move by Niantic to sub in razz for pinaps for the middle box

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
CalcyIV doesn't require a login, it's just an overlay and owns.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

AirRaid posted:

Whoa whoa whoa

They're saying this is a bug now? This is pretty huge that they are changing this.

This seemed to be already fixed for me on Sunday. I did a bunch of raids, the last couple entei raids there was 5, and I had to rejoin with a second team, kept getting +2/3 dmg balls myself. Saw a silphroad post on this before, otherwise I would usually start off with 7/8th Pokemon and rejoin with my first team.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
It would help if you knew what the raid is before the egg hatches. I liked a Reddit suggestion of a ttar nose poking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I haven't gotten a charge TM since Moltres came out and a fast TM since the dogs started. This is getting kinda annoying.

What raids are you doing? I usually raid with a small group of 5-7 (not by choice, but that's just the turnout) and I'm close to throwing away some fast TMs if Gen 3 release doesn't have any good use for them. We try to flip the gym to blue, combined with a decent legendary counter line-up and mystic team dmg, I usually walk away with 11-14 balls each time. If you're not able to group up for legendary raids, solo tier 2/3s will be your best bet.

https://thesilphroad.com/science/raid-rewards-secret-multipliers

• Locked thread