Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Goons having trouble getting their jogging distance registered:

Have you tried doing it in battery saver mode? I'm finding a huge uptick in distance measured with the battery saver (upside down) screen on. I measured today, and it was practically 1:1

I'm in Washington state FWIW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Wow, smart tip. Thanks! (E: the turning your phone off until enough time has passed to get under 6.5 mph)

My neighborhood gym is by a school bus stop, so it changes hands 3-10 times per day. Doesn't matter if it's a maxed out Blissey sandwich, with 50 kids walking through twice a day it gets taken out easily.

So, and of course this happened without pre-arrangement because I'm a forty year old man who doesn't talk to kids, what we've ended up doing lately is making it easier on everyone by taking a gym and leaving 1-2 low cp mons. It's been freaking hilarious, and has happened several times today with all three teams.

I currently own the gym with my 11cp wooper reigning supreme

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 2, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony posted:

No difference. I do notice a difference when I'm slowly meandering when it's nearly 1:1 but if I'm walking at a brisk pace it's nowhere close, battery saver or not.

That's too bad. I do a jog, albeit a slow one (~4-5 mph)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

You're just now figuring out Karping? Anyway, if you want to also make it easier for people on your team to train it up, put something at least 20 CP so they can get a prestige bonus for using pokemon under half the defenders CP (aka "bubble strat").
Hope you enjoyed the jargon.

Haha yeah, I'm way behind. This is actually my first experience with the franchise, ever
Thanks for the tip... does a prestige bonus just increase the gym rank, or does it come with a corresponding exp or candy bonus Or something?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This event owns so loving hard.

I usually get about 10% pokemon appearing that I actually want to catch. The promotion has uupped it to at least 50%, everywhere including my house has a slew of pokemon I need to evolve

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

Also you can't accidentally mass-trasnsfer a shiny, a message pops up. My friend got one last night.

This is a relief. As a totally new person to the franchise, the odds are high that I would either transfer a shiny without noticing, or just say "idc that it's yellow, i need my 400. I'll get a bunch more yellow ones prob"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So sad it ended before I could evolve my Karp. Oh well, at least 315
Candy is a lot closer than the ~45 I had before the event

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
How is everyone just like casually "oh I caught two lapras and a dragonoid and a leprechaun today?" Are you all using a scanner or am I just playing it wrong? I went all over nearby towns playing this game for most of the week, like nearly ten hours a day, and I've never seen anything rare spawn. Maybe I'm not high enough level(I'm 26)?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the input/advice. Yeah I used to live in sf/Los Angeles but now I live in Lacey, WA. It's like 30% water but all ponds so I guess they don't show up even when I roll into Olympia/Seattle. And when I visit the in laws on puget sound it's so rural there aren't many spawns. Sucks that I am surrounded by water but not in the right way but, hey, oh well

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Uh, I've missed up to 3 days in a row without it resetting before

I usually miss a day or 2 a week and have been doing this since they introduced the streaks and I've never had the days reset before getting to 7 days (other than this time)

This is intriguing and I wish to unpack this more.
Just to make sure..: you realize that catching a Pokémon every day is a separate "streak" than hitting a pokestop every day? like if I hit a pokestop for four days but catch a Pokémon for six days it will say "six day streak" but that doesn't refer to the pokestop streak? Because, as been mentioned, I've not seen any streaks continue after missing an entire calendar day

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Math You posted:

Uh I think I've noticed something weird with eggs. I alternate between purging 2km and 5km eggs until I have 9/9 because idk why. It looks nice I guess?

I just got to 9/9 2km yesterday and hatched like 1 or 2 of them as far as I can recall.. but I have 4 5km eggs now... I think the game is removing "poor quality" eggs when I spin new eggs.

Maybe I'm crazy but I can't test for a few hours, so I'm hoping someone else can confirm/deny for me. Definitely just noticed this morning

Edit: this would be really good for 10kms if it's true

If that happened to me I would be mad. I hate 5km eggs: just give me 2s I can plough through until I get a 10

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
It's not the piano berries that's weird, to me, it's the utterly unnecessary use of ultra balls to catch something that rarely bursts out of a regular one

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Wow best Pokemon day ever.
First of all, I got to pop a lucky egg, which I haven't been able to afford in like 2 months (the gyms are tough around here, and I refuse to buy fewer than 8 eggs at once). Got ~92,000 exp. Would have probably cleared 100,000 if the app hadn't frozen halfway through.

What's everyone else's records for exp from a lucky egg?

Then, was taking my twin 4 year olds to the museum, but the parking lot was full. So I said "let's just drive around and see if we spot something to do." Just then, a snorlax appeared on the nearby screen. I've never had anything remotely good spawn like that, so we dropped everything and started looking for it. The picture clue was this angry cartoon muffler, which my kids loved searching for. We managed to find it. It's only ~175 cp, with zen headbutt and earthquake. I don't konw the max IV yet, but it's gotta be less than 60 by how nonplussed the appraisal was. Don't care, I have nothing even close to that rarity of w/e it's called

Then we drove a little more and found a park near the woods. So we wandered around the woods in the pouring rain trying to find all the picture clues. Caught the 8 Kabuto I needed to evolve it (obviously I'm going to wait until I pop my next lucky egg.)

Great day!

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 7, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It will also show you exactly where it is on the map if you tap the three footprints under the circle, though it might be more fun for kids to look around. Sometimes stops like murals and temporary art installations aren't around in the real world anymore though.

Whoa! Thank you

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Picayune posted:

Man, I just randomly caught a Miltank a week or so after Gen 2 started and didn't think anything of it. I didn't realize Miltank was a Thing until recently.

I guess that makes up for the fact that I am never, ever going to see a Porygon. :v:

Yah I got one from a 10k in march. Feels good to know the rare mons aren't totally avoiding me.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Event started an hour early. Even though they said it was only 5k, I just hatched an 1100 cp stantler for a 5kmd
Edit: whoops, I got that egg before the event started, so the hatch was irrelevant

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 13, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

Wait was it an egg you already had incubated? The event is affecting already owned eggs?

Yeah, just realized my mistake. It was all a coincidence I guess

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
5 pokes top spins, including a 7 day. Still haven't gotten an egg. Not a 2 k egg... ANY egg
Plus side: popped a lucky egg before my 7 day streaks today, all told I got 160,000 xp during that half hour

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hatched 3 Spankin' new 2k eggs today: Bulbasaur, lickitung (spawns regularly in my area), and phanpy
:thatsmiliewhereheholdsaguntohishead:

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 15, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Thank you, I searched and couldn't find him

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

Cool they just threw a bunch of trash tier pokemon into the 2k stuff

event fuckin sucks

Hey if it's any consolation, in my ~150 hours I've never caught an elekid nor a sudowooodo, and only found one koffing

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Hatched 3 Spankin' new 2k eggs today: Bulbasaur, lickitung (spawns regularly in my area), and phanpy

89% Charmander

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

drunk nerds posted:

Drunk Nerds posted:

89% Charmander

Squirtle. 84% . Hatched all three starters in my first 5 2k eggs

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I thought you just had to rename the eevee to get Espeon and umbreon?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

BrianBoitano posted:

Probably best to focus on 5k and 10k eggs since it locks in the egg contents when you get them yeah? Stock up on as many 10k-esque 2k eggs as possible?

A lot more 2k eggs are dropping though, so just churning through the 2ks should yield more than making room? idk

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Willsun posted:

The most disheartening thing about gym battling for me is knowing that tons of people are cheating with GPS spoofing. I understand and honor if people tag team and kill a full gym I've helped build if they actually got their friends together and walked/drove out there to play. But when I'm standing there and there's no one else within the gym's distance and it's rising up in prestige and there's 2 or 3 enemies instantly getting into gyms, what's the point? Call me simple but I don't mind if there's turf wars going on and gyms are getting rocked back and forth and I would enjoy trekking back out to a gym we really want to hold if I know enemies are legit taking them back. It feels fun even if it's a stupid augmented reality location we're fighting over. But knowing that they can never truly block GPS spoofers really takes a lot of gas from this.

Even scanning for Pokemon I don't care about if other people do it as long as you're not literally collecting from home. You get the info there's a Pokemon you want and rush out thereto get it? Great. It's geocaching and you're playing the game. I don't do it because it wasn't really meant to be played with a scanner, but at least people aren't god mode-ing it if they still have to go out and do the playing part.

There's a gym right next to my house that is also next to two bus stops. It's gotten so overrun with spoofers, that me (valor) and the instinct kids are practically on the same team: We just roll the mystic spoofers together, caring like 90% about stopping the spoofers and 10% about who actually gets the gym. That's not right. Plus at the end of the day its always been retaken by spoofers

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Willsun posted:

Similarly like my situation except I'm Instinct and we're hoping that the Mystic in our town is getting the hint that we're leaving their gyms alone to encourage tearing down the viral outbreak of spoofing Valor people in my town. The Mystic often just get lazy and instead of joining the fight, they come take our Instinct gyms instead and let Valor go unchecked.

I am still being able to hold like 4-5 gyms with my team through group text communication though. At least sometimes it makes me wonder about spoofer activity, like why don't they just literally tear through every gym in the area. Are they afraid it'll be too suspicious and they'll get reported? Because currently it just seems like they want to keep the main nucleus of gyms in the center of town but do it through nefarious means even if they can easily take over more.

Spoofing as team Valor is so hypocritical

I finally got a 10k hatch from my 11th 2k egg! A Lapras! So content right now

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

LumpyGumby posted:

I still have not seen a Hoppip. Enough Cyndaquils/Quilavas/Mareeps/Larvitar though, so i guess I can't complain too much.

Just not looking forward to walking it when I finally get one.

Hilarious. I see 10 hoppip a day, I have only seen ONE total of those four guys you listed (one cndanyquils)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Willsun posted:

Older people really like Pokemon Go even if they never played any of the main games before. They usually mean well and are just overly excited to be in a game that includes co-op with a lot of people for the first time. Some of them do need to chill tf out though because they're not good at walking the line between knowing it's just a game and "you're kinda scaring people."

Your story did remind me though that recently I thought someone sitting down nearby with a phone out helped me take down a gym and I asked and they just looked confused and I apologized.

I'm 40, never played a single pokemon game before. I like Go because I'm always walking my hyperactive twin toddlers through parks and forests. Although I am socially well-adjusted, all the little kids I take down gyms with say so

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Wait, is mareep good in battle, or just rare?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Willsun posted:

List of cross-generation evolutions that have anything to do with what we can collect right now:

Gen 3
  • Azurill (baby) → Marill
  • Wynaut (baby) → Wobbuffet

Gen 4
  • Magneton → Magnezone
  • Lickitung → Lickilicky
  • Rhydon → Rhyperior
  • Happiny (baby) → Chansey
  • Tangela → Tangrowth
  • Mime Jr. (baby) → Mr. Mime
  • Electabuzz → Electivire
  • Magmar → Magmortar
  • Eevee → Leafeon
  • Eevee → Glaceon
  • Porygon2 → Porygon-Z
  • Munchlax (baby) → Snorlax
  • Togetic → Togekiss
  • Bonsly (baby) → Sudowoodo
  • Aipom → Ambipom
  • Yanma → Yanmega
  • Murkrow → Honchkrow
  • Misdreavus → Mismagius
  • Gligar → Gliscor
  • Sneasel → Weavile
  • Piloswine → Mamoswine
  • Mantyke (baby) → Mantine

Gen 5
    Nothing

Gen 6
  • Eevee → Sylveon

Gen 7
  • Pikachu → Alolan Raichu
  • Exeggutor → Alolan Exeggutor
  • Marowak → Alolan Marowak

Thank you so much for this. Is wonderful to see that Murkrow will one day cease to be the bane of my existence

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
poo poo, Gilgar evolves? Just got YEET ANOTHER one out of a 10k, this provides an ounce of redemption

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I just caught a trash mon, first throw great throw, and got 300 xp instead of 200. Can anyone tell me why... there's obviously some kind of bonus I got that I don't know about(and I clicked out of the score summary screen before I thought to look at the breakdown)

Tia

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

No Safe Word posted:

ABC buddy, Always Be Curveballin'

Get that extra XP (and better likelihood of catching!)

I quit throwing curveballs because last week it seemed really off. I fired one from center starting position, it went all the way to the right side of the screen, then curved back and hit the left side of the mon. No curveball bonus

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Is there a way I can narrow down the IV when I'm given a range? Like my calculator says my Karp is 82-93%. If it's in the 90s I'd like to evolve it, but not in the 80s. Just a personal preference. Is there any way I could know for sure?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Get the IV Go app. It's safe.

The app specifically named "IV Go?"
Maybe I'm not using it right, because I got it, input my stats, and it told me the Karp was between 71-93%. It didn't even ask my trainer phrases

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The New York Times posted:

I tried using two devices one and it wasn't too bad. The one that's way past my caring level is force quitting the app and relaunching for every evolve. Hell naw i am not doing that.

I feel like that's not accurate (that force quitting saves time). Every successful force quit to save ~5 seconds feels like it would be offset by the inevitable force quit followed by "login error: retry?" x50

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Been running/hiking almost since the launch of this event. Not seen a single larvitar, but I did catch two new pokemon, neither of which was an evolve of something I already had (I don't remember what they were, will edit it in later).

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

I'd seriously like to hear how someone with a no scanner policy got their Dex past, say, 200 entries without also getting word of mouth on best spots to go to (word of mouth likely derived from scanners)

Exactly 200, here. Zero communication regarding any pokemon spawns (I wouldn't even really know how). I hike a lot and have traveled to several different biomes this year. I also really like sorting and tracking my mons, so I'm always walking the one closest to getting me a new evolve and stopping to catch ones that I need just a little more candy for a new evolve.

The key, I think is, is that I have ZERO A-tier mons. No dragonites, Tyrannitars, none of that magikarp evolve, no blisseys. Oh, one snorlax, which just popped up on my radar one day. It's remarkably easy to get an extreme variety of useless trash mons

Interestingly, I don't think a lot of my novel mons have come from eggs. Is there a way to tell how many new guys i've hatched?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Feels like even the best gym revamp would be useless if Niantic cant stop spoofing

• Locked thread