Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Divine Styler posted:

Did Lapras get nerfed? My 2600 Lapras is 2250 now?

Oh poo poo mine did too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Yikes.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Where are the loving Pikachus at? I need my party hats.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

jeef posted:

reading silph road updates makes me want to drown an eevee in a bucket

Greetings, trainer! We don't appreciate that kind of talk here on the road. Please be considerate of your fellow travelers!

Travel safe!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I've been getting +1 for team control and another +1 for bronze.

Edit: I've also received an evolution item from gym spins.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Quit feeding my Snorlax candies, I want him to come home!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

loving :laffo:
Great 1-year anniversary guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

If you hatch a Pichu it comes with an Ash hat

Ahhhhhh too cute

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Don't you get it for feeding Pokémon berries?

But no, I guess you don't get 1000 stardust a day for doing jack poo poo anymore

Besides being needlessly hostile, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Even at level 30 it would take feeding 250 berries to level up one Pokemon once.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Guess youll just have to catch 10 whole pokemon

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I find I'm even less likely to attack a gym than before because it rewards my opponents with their coins and immediately notifies 6 of them to come back and kick out my one guy.

Edit: I still like the new system better. The incentives are just a little weird and not that well thought through.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 12, 2017

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I get more coins under the new system, but it's more frustrating. If you put a mon in and it gets booted in 15 minutes, it sucks to get like 2 coins and then have to revive and heal. If you put a mon in and it sits there for three days earning nothing, that sucks too. Neither are really under your control.

I like that the new system is more open to casual players, but I also wish the gyms didn't go down too fast for anyone to defend them.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

NZAmoeba posted:

So assuming Niantec aren't completely stupid (cross fingers) they'll have planned ahead for this.

Judging by how they handled the ticket sales, I'll bet they haven't.

Also,

NZAmoeba posted:

lol if they use the event as a giant honey pot for spoofers and ban hundreds of them

lol if spoofers are the only people who get to participate.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

They had to change 'pokemon kicked out of gym' to be a good thing because the gym revamp coincided with something that requires you to work together with people from other teams, often in close proximity.

People took gym ownership way too seriously in the old system.

The new system is way more antagonistic than it used to be, though. It's annoying to give another team their 50 coins and have your team's mons kicked out in a half hour and you get 2.

Maybe in some areas teams are being nice and trading off but that's not happening at all where I am.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Psychobabble! posted:

I wonder if you can use the reduced buddy distance on an eevee to avoid having to walk it the 10k? I'd much rather have to walk it 3.5 km than 10. I think I'll give it a shot, will report back.

Reddit says no.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Went 0 for 6 today and feeling salty.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Wow it sure makes me feel better when I know the odds say I should have caught one.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Psion posted:

Given a moderate amount of skill 7 free attempts is plenty. But wow, f2p game involves IAP friction, news at never. This isn't even a thing unless you literally can't figure out probability.

I'm 0 for 6 with mostly curved great and excellent throws, so no, it's not plenty.

E: I'm hearing they buffed the capture rate so even they agree.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 26, 2017

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Yeah the new rate looks better.

If I could change two things it would be to be able to refund passes if you error out, or if you never enter the battle (if they can't detect the difference between losing and getting errored out, then I'd rather they err on the side of refunding, just because glitching out and losing the pass is sooo much bullshit.) The other would be to give a minor boost or at least guarantee a minimum amount of bonus items, so that even if you don't catch the boss you know you get something extra for paying.

TheMaestroso posted:

Does this happen when the raid timer is almost over? Because you can keep trying the same raid as long as it's going and you haven't beaten it yet.

What I've seen happen (hasn't happened to me) is that one or two people in the group error out, and the rest beat the raid and leave. Sometimes another group never comes and those people are SOL.

E: And frankly the details shouldn't matter. If you pay to raid and the game glitches, that needs to be refunded, period. Doesn't matter if you have to leave before another group comes or if you run out of time or whatever.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm surprised that some people still haven't encountered the concept of "F2P games encourage people to pay for better chances at end-game content".

Most of them are up front about it from the start, rather than adding it in upon year 2. Up until now, paying hasn't gated actual content. Ash hat Pichu and the legendaries are the first time limited Pokemon that you need to pay to have a better chance at getting before they're gone for the indeterminate future (since Niantic won't communicate their plans). It's worth it for me so far (at least as long as I have gym and Google reward coins) but I don't expect everyone to see it the same way.

In other news, I'm 1 for 9 on Articuno :toot:
(2 of the 9 I whiffed. The first I was using a strategy that didn't work for me, and one today my phone was overheating in the sun and I rushed it. I also only have a silver ice medal.)

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 26, 2017

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Entropist posted:

I never paid a dime for this game and I caught 6 Lugia (of 12) and 4 Articuno (out of 10), and hatched 3 hatted Pichu so far even though I only ran one incubator (the event speeds things up).
You can get coins by losing in gyms too, you know!

I do know that since I mentioned it in my post, but thanks!!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

LegionAreI posted:

Ingress isn't marketed towards kids though. There's a lot of poo poo talking in my local ingress group.
However, pre-written statements like "I am ready for raid" or a "check in" ability to show a number over the gym would be rad.

The only kids I've seen at a raid are the ones dragged there by neglectful parents

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

Moltres

- Omastar w/ double rock moves (legacy) or Water Gun/Rock Blast

Oh Jesus that's legacy? I wish the reddit chart mentioned that because I burned like 4 fast TMs trying to get that lol

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Recycling Centerpiece posted:

I'm about an hour west of Baltimore (Washington County), and the area is an utter dead zone for active Facebook/Discord groups. I'd resigned myself to never doing a 4* or legendary raid. Record so far is 4 people for Articuno when he first came out. Imagine my surprise when I stumble upon a random Lugia group of 17. Fight goes fine, they kill it while I'm in the menu right after my sixth mon goes down. Three of the group catch him first try, he breaks out of nearly every one of my throws immediately. Made it to the second shake twice out of 11 tries, but ended up fleeing. I asked if they had a social media group or anything; turns out they're not local, just on their way to Ocean City and stopped into town to get gas. I'll probably never see them, or any other group, again. 0/1 legendaries caught.

Find out where people play in Baltimore (or DC?) and go there for an afternoon. There might be another suburb with a densely pokestopped park or a touristy area where players convene closer to you than all the way into the city. The point of the game is to get you to go places.

If you can't afford the time to get out though you're pretty much SOL.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

I'm the lone kendama sitting on the table just in frame.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

They finally implement a raid check-in system but do it in the most Niantic way possible: You can't check how many people have used their raid pass there unless you're standing at the gym :psyduck:

I don't see how this helps anyone but spoofers. It's just baffling (but completely unsurprising)

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
There will never be trading.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
drat, every Sprint store I've seen has only been a stop.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
In a game ostensibly about playing in groups this is an entire mechanic based on excluding people from groups.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I too am confused by people wanting to collect Pokemon in a game about collecting Pokemon

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Willsun posted:

Keep getting mad at the game then. Enjoy.

Or I'm empathizing with people who are upset. Enjoy being clueless.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Every Sprint and Starbucks gyms today were reported by frantic players, and not a single one had a raid at all today.

Apparently raids don't appear between when passes are issued and the actual EX raid, and the last wave was sent out on Tuesday night. Probably those locations have EX raids and the time to battle there was before Tuesday.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm sure for some it's an instant gratification thing, but considering how opaque Niantic is in their communications and the half-assed nature of their implementations, I think most of the complainers are just worried they won't get Mewtwo before he goes away. There's nothing anyone can do to guarantee getting an invite, since highly committed players have already been passed over. Yeah, they'll probably get an invite, but they can't be sure of it.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Hoenn Dawn

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
This 2 items per spin thing is really killing the event for me.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Das Doppelganger posted:

Contact Niantic. I had the two item thing when it first popped, but it was fixed the next day and I haven't had an issue since. Something may be up with your client.

Their support has an auto response calling it a "feature."

E: It appears they are A/B testing it to see which group spends more.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

financially racist posted:

i have caught 130 ghosts this event

the best ivs i have got were on a shuppet at 65%. am i just absurdly unlucky or is everyone else having a hell of a time getting anything eceb remotely good out of this?

Yeah, I'm getting crap IVs on everything too.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

everyone slots 2000~ cp pokemon (or they slot a 3000 that quickly decays) or under

Not that it ultimately matters, but that bug got fixed.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Can't wait to join Slytherin and spoof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

You should maybe contribute if you want to reap the rewards.

• Locked thread