Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I stopped playing this for probably 10+ months. What has changed, I notice there are new berries and mons. Is there a good site for info? Are Pokemon trackers a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Unowns seem to mostly spawn at night. The two I've caught spawned at 4:15 and 7:05 AM. I wouldn't have caught either one if it weren't for insomnia and having a bladder the size of a walnut, respectively.

They're also apparently not the same for everyone who catches a particular spawn now.

There were noticeably less in my town, to the point where the admins (who also provide the raid maps and alert bots) drove all over town to make sure their bots were working. Seems like less today too.

I don't know of a good site that sums up the changes, and couldn't find one. So :words:

I quit playing in Oct and started again at the beginning of July. I didn't even know anything had changed, I was just getting really bored on my walks. Level was 27-almost-28 when I restarted, I hit 33 yesterday.

Like someone said, Gen 2 is out, but most of the Gen 2 Pokemon are fairly easy to get, especially if you raid. Also if you have access to a tracker. Pokehuntr is the best free one, there are better private ones, many regional. I gained free access automatically when I joined my city's Discord, although pretty quick they're gonna lock non-Discord people out and maybe start charging a monthly fee if people don't start donating. But that's just my area. Best way to find local Discord channels are FB or Reddit, or asking at raids.

New thing: A handful of gen 2 need Special Items to be evolved, there will probably be one you almost never get.

Gyms are more fun, imo, but people have differing opinions on this. I rarely had time to sit and grind down a level 10 gym, so the fact that the cap is now 6 and they lose health slowly if not fed berries makes it better for me. No, I can't sit in gyms for weeks anymore (with some exceptions), but I can kick people right back out if they take a gym from me. Doing this also gives more points, you get enough points and the gym goes from bronze to silver, silver to gold. You get better items from the pokestops that are silver/gold, especially if your team has the gym. I hit gold on my two closest gyms in about 5-6 weeks. Doesn't take long, now I get max revives and potions and buried in Pokeballs.

You can also feed berries remotely to any gym with a Pokemon of yours in it, which is fun when you know that one neck beard dude with the ponytail is trying to kick you out at 11:57 PM.

The coins thing has changed, you earn a max of 50 per day, you get one coin per 10 minutes. Limit resets at midnight local. The gym max is now 20, so if you have a few gyms you can reliably leave Pokemon in and have them booted by the end of the day, you'll get your 50 coins. If your gym time spans more than one day, you'll get coins for the prior day as well, up to the cap.

Raiding is pretty fun and Niantic is making bank on it. If you want to raid against Articuno, Zapdos, or Lugia, they're dksappering on the 31st or the day after.

Supposedly MewTwo will show up on the 1st of September and be a massive pain to find and catch. You will get an invite to raid Mewtwo at a gym you recently won a raid at. I believe it needs to have been a level 5 raid. Then you have to coordinate with others who go invites, or sit at the gym for six hours or who the gently caress knows. Then you get 50 balls to catch him, apparently. Prior legendaries you get 13ish. Other legendaries who follow will also have the invite system.

Because of berries (including golden razzes from raids), rare candy (can be transformed into any Pokemon candy), and passes, you may need to buy more bag space. Same with Gen 2 and Pokémon spots.

Raids combined with lucky eggs combined with the old mass-evolve-and-lucky-egg trick can shoot you through levels pretty fast.

The game is a a fair amount more slanted to those who can spend real $ now. As someone mentioned, you get one raid pass a day. If you don't use it, you get another the next day, but after that they don't stack. Many of the Pokemon (babies) are egg-only, so buying incubators will get those faster. Using a GoPlus or a Gotcha will also help your level up (and get amazing amounts of stardust). You can raid and gym battle more if you have time to hit a bunch of stops, or just buy max potions/revives.

Someone figured out that nests change every two weeks, every other Wednesday. Called migrations. This Wednesday is a migration. TheSilphRoad keeps track of them to an extent.

IV calculators are okay to use as long as you don't need to log in to whichever one you use. CalcyIV for Droid, dunno about iPhones.

There's now a daily bonus for the first Pokestop you spin (including gyms, did I mention those have stops now?) and Pokemon you catch. Buikds up to every seventh day, if you spin a gym owned by your team you get a ton of stuff.

I think that's all the changes.

But you see then you buy more bag slots!

Thanks for the effort post. If I go to a gym and fight whatever is there does it count as a raid?

If not, what is a raid?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ah cool thanks!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just captured my first gym in forever. Is there somewhere you spin/activate for the gold per 24 hours or is it automatic now?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Finally got a 7 day catch streak bonus. 6k stardust with the event going on.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just hatched a porygon from a 10k pre-event egg. :woop:

Found out that you can only get 50 coins a day from gyms total, not per Mon :(

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah that revamp plus the CP decay does have me making more coins now even with the daily limit.

Put my porygon into a gym right away. It got defeated and the victor capped with a porygon 2. Touche good sir.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

seiferguy posted:

The old gym system had you bootstrap to the top, and only the rich got richer while pointing guns at each other with the threat of shaving each other out. Unless your pokemon were 3k and above, good luck getting into a gym since you were at risk, unless you ventured out into weaker towns and gentrified their gyms with your city pokemon. But if you survived the system you were guaranteed that wonderful coin and bountiful stardust. It was capitalism in its purest form. Those not in gyms were merely temporarily embarrassed pokemon masters.

Nowadays, any player can piggyback off of someone's hard work by hopping into an open gym, and everyone earns half of what they used to make. A level 5 player can make as much as a level 40 player. What's the fairness in that? Why should those who put so little effort into this game be rewarded as equally as those who put hours daily into becoming the best. I used to think of myself as a leftist until this gym change. After expressing disgust with my friends, they suggested I read Ayn Rand. I like to think of myself as an objectivist now, and have pokemon go to thank for that.

Source your quotes.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

As someone who never played anything but Gen 1 (OG pokemon) what gen 2 (and upcoming 3) mons are cool and/or good?

Note I do not require that they be good in Go just cool looking and/or cool names.

edit: because most of the ones I'm catching are lame

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for all the cool mons to keep an eye out for. Especially when the base is lame but the evolution is cool.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tried looking around online but couldn't find a clear answer to this. What average CP of a 6 mon stack would I need to have a chance at the lower starred raids if I am solo?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I just hit level 22 :shobon:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Boywunda posted:

I'm thinking the same. Mind you I'm always swimming in balls (pun not intended). Prior to owning a Go Plus, I deleted red balls all the time, as I used to sit on about 200-300 great and 300-400 Ultra balls. Now that I own a Go Plus and have decided to participate in gyms a lot more, I sit on 100-200 red balls and 300-400 Ultras. I delete all my Great balls now. However the past couple days, I've even had to delete some red balls, as my Go Plus cannot use red balls faster than I'm getting them.

Is there a max to bag or Pokemon storage size or can you pay to upgrade infinitely?

I seem to be getting a lot of balls with my spins here the past two weeks but I honestly don't play enough to know if that's random chance or a true change.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Chairman Mao posted:

It broke after an update so they just removed it.

I thought they removed it because people were going into private property and doing dangerous things as directed by the app and it was a legal liability thing.

But hell if I know.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

robziel posted:

Started getting only 2 items from stops, reported it and was told it was working as intended. I really look forward to being constantly short on items.

I barely play as it is living in a rural area. I spend a few bucks when I get free Google play money on balls here and there. If they made stops 2 items per spin that would certainly make me quit.

Guess we'll see how the A/B testing whales react to determine if the game gets more poo poo for rural people.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I caught and evolved a 53-64 duskall. Should I farm for a better one? What about a good houndoor?

Also should I farm candies for the gengar I just evolved?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Level 30! Inefficient use of a lucky egg to get there but I want those incubators while the events still on.

Actually, when does it finish? If it's tomorrow then I'm a big dummy.

I read somewhere on the internet that it does end tomorrow.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Fritzler posted:

I just want a holiday pichu! I've gotten two of the middle boxes with gym coins. Blown through hella eggs with the super incubators, but no witch hat pichu yet.

I must have gotten super lucky then. Not played very much and have captured maybe 5 with hat's? I've mulched all but 2 for the candies. If I evolve into a raichu will the witch hat remain?

Also hatched a larvitar during the event with 64 candies. Maybe I'll get a tyrannitar within the year :)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Fritzler posted:

I agree, my work friends are dumb and I usually try not to raid with them.

Pichu can only be hatched. Pikachu can be caught, and isn't too rare.

Oh durrr thanks for the explanation.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Some fat white trash loser showed up to a Suicune raid with his 3 month old kid in a carriage with a loving open carry pistol proudly displayed on his belt. Everybody felt uncomfortable around him.

what the gently caress is wrong with people

Open carry is dumb, I conceal carry while I'm spinning pokestops personally.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Finally caught a Snorlax today (im level 22), only the second or third one I've ever seen.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Beastyfella posted:

That's....a fairly good update on ex raids honestly. It also means I'll probably never get an invite since the sponsored stops here aren't gyms. Maybe they'll change that if I submit a ticket.

Guess I need to start getting the few parks nearby more often

Do you have any stops in parks? Not sure what a park is, the dark green? But they mention those gyms being ex raid locations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Finally did my first raid, a solo ivysaur. Took 1.5 Pokemon to take it down, very easy. However I suck at throwing balls and can't consistently get curves so I just threw greats straight on and finally got it with 1 ball left out of 12. Raspberried every throw also (4 were batted down). Is there a good app for training throws?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'll try checking that video out later thanks.

I can't use pokeballs for high repetition training because I live in a rural area so my pokestop spins are limited.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the tips, didn't know that about the nanab lasting for 2.

Time to throw some curves!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Did I read Niantic's tweets right and Farfetch'd is only available until 11/27 at about 1800 CST?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Worked yesterday and today + have a 3 month old. Finally caught one as I pulled back into my work parking lot from my lunch break where I unsuccessfully tried to drive around to find farfetchd.

39CP lol

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hatched a 97.8% mareep. My work here is done (and powered up twice because appraising in calcy IV is broken for this mon I guess and I couldn't remember the % before it broke but powering up fixed it).

Also found a lovely Sentret Nest, maybe the most poo poo nest to find in the game?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Fine fine I'll catch Sentrets :v:

Curve ball update, getting decent at landing a curve every time. Now I just need to get the nice/great bonus more with it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just caught a pidgey that transformed into Ditto. :woop:

Figured I was way behind the curve but per some article Ditto just came out this thanksgiving. Time to slot it into a gym.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Beastyfella posted:

Ditto came out last year at Thanksgiving

Damnit haha I'm gonna say the article must have changed their date to appear fresh or some poo poo. Oh well :shobon:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

houses are gone but commercial buildings , schools and synagogues are still visible from what I see

I wonder what their thinking was here, you can see all these houses on the services they pulled data from so it's not like there is any privacy issue. Whatever I guess.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Looking forward to people driving around in fog and snow and high winds to catch mons. What could go wrong?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Psychobabble! posted:

Give me the new pokes already Niantic.

Slightly made up for the missed unown for my boyfriend today when a blastoise happened to spawn by my work, his first!

Do you have to be a certain level to see third level evolutions like Blastoise, Charizard? Or is it just super random luck of the draw?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Your level doesn't matter for spawns, so everyone sees the same thing. The level and IVs of whatever you catch does, though.

Thanks for the info

fake edit:

Edward Mass check out Calcy IV (should work on iOS).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

... what?

iOS has no IV apps you should use. They're either gonna get your account stolen or don't work. Use a website.

EDIT: The only way to make an IV app work on iOS is to feed it a Pokemon Go screenshot. I don't know if an app to do that exists.

Ah sorry about that, I could have sworn when I was DLing the app on Android I saw something saying it worked on both.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Majumbo posted:

Cloudy is Fairy, Fighting and Poison

Can confirm.

25 stardust is such a terribly small bonus lol

Not caught anything yet, stuck at work :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Can't login, servers down?

If the severe weather thing restricts spawns and is very sensitive this will be hella lame.

• Locked thread