Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I don't think you can meaningfully ask this question without specifying what kind of disease it is, what circumstances it emerges under (i.e. it's hard to really separate the impact of the Spanish flu from the fact it occurred during the tail end of the First World War) and how effectively various governments recognize the crisis and respond to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I imagine that the reaction time of the government would play a significant role in how rapidly the disease spread. Just look at the response to Hurricane Katrina: that was going to be a bad disaster no matter what but it probably wouldn't have been nearly as bad as it was if a more competent government had been overseeing the crisis.

On the bright side a mass die off of humans would go a really long way toward dealing with our multiple overlapping environmental crises.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

the black husserl posted:

Very well articulated - your first paragraph is exactly what I think would happen. Breakdown in organizational structure means that the finger on the button gets more and more twitchy.

I don't think nuclear subs would be a factor since I think the launch would come from either India, Pakistan, or Israel.

That's a really specific outcome to be predicting given how vague the parameters of the scenario are.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Well that's what happens in World War Z (the book), which I find an eminently plausible explanation of the effects of a worldwide, deadly pandemic (zombie stuff asides)

Oh right. The gritty and realistic book by Mel Brook's kid where plucky misunderstood Israel expends significant resources in the midst of a global crisis to save save Palestinians from a global zombie epidemic.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

To be fair the ultra-orthodox (and them losing because they have no military experience) being the source of an Israeli civil war is the most realistic plot point there.

Maybe if you're a pro-Israel liberal living in America who cannot bring themselves to fully recognize how the entire country has been swinging hard to the right since the 1990s.

We're talking about a book where Palestinians who irrationally fear that the zombie epidemic is a lie spread by Israel have to be rescued by the benevolent intervention of the IDF. I don't think Max Brooks intentionally wrote pro-Zionist propaganda I think he's probably just a moron who was really caught up in that mid-2000s Jon Stewart liberal poise of assuming everything in the world would be fine if only a small band of extremists on either side of every conflict could be brought to heel. I assume that if World War Z was written today it would most likely have a much darker tone and it already does.

Anyway, why anybody thinks that book is worth bringing up in the context of how an actual pandemic disease would impact the globe is beyond me.

• Locked thread