Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Instability would spark regional conflict, which would spark conventional war, which would spark nuclear war as one of the combatants gets desperate.

I can't imagine any kind of global outbreak scenario that doesn't end in the bombs being dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Do you think that the death or debilitation of roughly half or more of the command structure of a nuclear nation would lead them to launch sooner as less-senior members are field promoted? Or would they focus on solving/isolating the disease over settling scores while the world dies?

How does the fact that nuclear subs/carriers are one of the few groups to be 100% not affected by this outbreak (at least until they run out of food and need to make landfall to resupply, so a month or so at the soonest) and be able to make clear-headed decisions?
Very well articulated - your first paragraph is exactly what I think would happen. Breakdown in organizational structure means that the finger on the button gets more and more twitchy.

I don't think nuclear subs would be a factor since I think the launch would come from either India, Pakistan, or Israel.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

rudatron posted:

I can't see wars breaking out over a global pandemic, or any stupid poo poo like a nuke firing, because every country in the world is going to be primarily concerned with maintaining order inside their own borders. Maybe a particularly opportunistic state that has managed to largely avoid the full brunt of the conflict intervenes in a limited way to smash & grab certain contested areas or whatever, but I can't think of a better vector to spread a disease than a literal armed engagement.

You're completely failing to imagine how it could actually go down. It wouldn't be everyone in India and Pakistan getting sick. It would be a major public health crisis in Mumbai making Indian war hawk hardliners need to sabre rattle with Pakistan to distract and win an upcoming election. Oops, turns out they sabre rattled too hard and now a real war starts in Kashmir. Oops, turns out the plague got even worse in Pakistan, the government is on the verge of collapse, and a desperate leader is convinced launching a nuke is the only way to save the country.

The current global balance of power feels like a bomb waiting to go off. I think a pandemic would light the fuse.

• Locked thread