Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
Calcifying hardwood embankments burst from the bay wrapping around and beside newer and well maintained cherry wood docks. The harbor itself was oval, essentially, floored with gray and black cobblestone, trimmed by nightmare-black ocean spray and surrounded on three sides by looming wooden shanties stacked three or four stories high, stained grey from their time beside the sea. These shanties were never very large but they were typically quite warm and from the abundance of diners and taverns and hookah dens and illicit trades Stenke Bay was alive at all hours, in the morning when it smelled like coffee, and at night when the sea wind stained the harbor with the scent of salt and mystery. Stenke Bay was Gault’s finest harbor, saw as much traffic and trade as eight lesser ports, and the hurried transport of men and goods fueled an empire that was destined to span the entire globe.

You would see it first hand. Sitting in a well warmed shanty sipping on whatever the day brought you, you knew full well you would see it first hand. An elegantly unknown world, and Gault’s power over it.

That leather parcel tucked into the nook of your arm was your ticket to the new world. A royal Charter. Your ticket to nobility. Hand signed by the king and sponsored by your benefactors the papers in your leather bundle sponsored you as a lord, the first minister of whatever your realm grew to be. They empowered you to claim lands and resources, to recruit personnel and collect taxes, to negotiate with foreign powers and represent Gault and her interests in the world's newest wilderness; Peregrin Minor had been discovered only three and a quarter years ago. It was still vastly unexplored. Unlike its sister continent Peregrin Major, now heavily looted and fully controlled by the devilish Pyrenze. Your charter sponsored you to be among the first, and then among the only to step foot on the new world. It was a ticket to adventure, a raffle card for danger, one-way admittance to a brand new life.

And it was yours. Just as Peregrin Minor would be. The summer could not pass quickly enough.

_..._..._..._

Welcome to Heart of Darkness. This will be a PDQ-”ish” game with more prominent King of Dragon Pass elements. You’ll be one of the select few authorized to build a colony on a newly discovered continent. You hail from the Kingdom of Gault which recently acquired the means to establish its sovereignty in the new world and perhaps tip the balance of power away from the rivaling kingdom of Pyrenze. The Pyrentine are gaining power back in the homeland thanks to imported riches from Peregrin Major, but word reaches you now of new lands untouched by Pyrenze, lands richer even than the Pyretine claim. Peregrin Minor. Cities of gold, fountains of wine, jewels the sizes of melons, it could all be somewhere in this mysterious, uncharted, new continent. It falls on you to find those riches and, maybe, turn your colony into something greater. But remember, no great opportunity comes without great danger. And the greatest dangers often lurk in the dark...

If you wanna join, just fill out the app below. Both I and AnAnonymousIdiot will look it over and post questions about your character and backstory. We’ll accept apps until March 6, then we’ll make our picks.

Name:

Description/Pic: (Either or both are acceptable.)

Backstory:

Skills [+8] - pick up to four skills.

Drawbacks [-4] - pick two drawbacks.

Who Holds Your Charter?:

(A charter is your authorization to found villages and colonies in the new world. It can have been granted by either the King of Gault or some other influential industry, personage or collective; if you pick the latter option, please describe your benefactor in detail. A brief list of reasonable options would include: The Church of Gault, The King’s Illicit Half-Brother, The Lumber Industry Magnates, The Royal Department of Wildlife and Wilderness Preservation, etc. People can share the same benefactor, if anyone wishes to.)

All the Necessaries Fit Snugly in Four Ships. You Were Chartered Five Ships. To What Use Do You Put Your Final Ship?

(Begin the game with a well stocked surplus of one kind of resource, supply or item. A brief list of reasonable option might include: Weapons, Rations, Artisans, Horses, etc. Alternately if you can think of a purpose for an empty ship that does not involve shipping, or you wish to sail to the new world with one empty vessel, you can describe what you choose to do with the ship.)

What Sort of People Will You Bring To The New World? (Create a [+2] Skill for your colonists)

What Will You Remember of Gault on Your Long Voyage Away From Home? (Tell us something, or a couple something’s, about Gault. Keep this portion in-character and please try not to contradict other entries.)

When Your Sailors Whisper Rumors of Pyrenze, What Do They Whisper? (Same as above, but without concern for contradicting stories. Pyrenze can be a complicated place...)

The Rules:

This game will be played primarily with the PDQ system while on adventures or engaged in potentially dangerous exchanges. Political actions or intrigues large enough to affect the colony as a whole, however, will be considered too large for your character's personal skills and drawbacks to have a meaningful impact on the outcome. Resolving these will instead be handled with a King of Dragon Pass-esque narrative CYOA.

And in the background I and AnAnonymousIdiot will be calculating your individual colony's rates of growth and annual income. We will also be keeping record of what benefits and drawbacks have been earned by your colony and colonists. Through the course of the game you will gain benefits and drawbacks naturally. Such as in the PDQ system these drawbacks and benefits can impact any part of the character or narrative.

There are a number of hidden stats we're keeping track of too but what you, as a player, need to know boils down a couple simple points. Money is acquired from your colonies. How much money you make is based on what you’re exporting and your colony's population. You get more colonists once per year and how many you get is based on how much Gault favors you and your colony. So to have more money you have to do more things that Gault will like and then find even shinier resources. And barring surprises and exceptions, that's it. The game is otherwise played PDQ.

On Themes, Aesthetics and Inspirations:

I picture Peregrin Minor as like South America, from the Amazon to the Andes just a very diverse and naturally elegant continent. Peregrin Major is similarly, in my head, built like North America. Gault is an analogue for Britain if it had stayed pastoral instead of embracing empires. Pyrenze is most akin to Spain in my mind. The feel of the RP will be similar to the founding of the 13 colonies of the early United States. I'd like to see players cooperating to write constitutions and arguing over where the continent’s capital should be, in between robbing ancient tomes like Indiana Jones’s sugar-fiending little brother.

It seemed to I and AnAnonymousIdiot that a colonization RP ran the risk of being a little culturally insensitive. As such we've decided to remove the game from the realm of realism by making the continent totally empty of natives and including a fantasy horror subplot. That's all I really want to say about it. Be prepared for the game to turn scary later.

AnAnonymousIdiot and I both look for a healthy sense of originality when evaluating characters. We like weird ideas best, typically, and we encourage all applicants to embrace their surreal side a bit while making entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
There hasn't been a lot of interest in this so far. Hopefully that will change soon because the idea seems quite interesting. I'm still working on some aspects of the application but I wanted to get the meat of the app up now.

Sir Andrew Gene Blackwood

Sir Andrew Gene Blackwood is the son of Baronet Johan Melville Blackwood the celebrated war hero, who saved the life of the king at the battle of Helgrady. For his courage Johan was made a nobleman and invited to court, quickly becoming a favourite of the royals and the nobility. By chance, the kings first son and heir apparent, the crown Prince Frederick Floric Antes was born within a few months of Sir Andrew and so it was ordained that the two would be true friends for life.

Much to the chagrin of many at court, the two did indeed become fast friends. Some would say the strength of their friendship was an inspiration to everyone, or if they were feeling less charitable somewhat concerning given the fact that in general, the pair have very few other friends. Some would even say the strength of the bond between Andrew and the Prince was “inappropriate”, but any who would say that within earshot would soon find themselves on the wrong end of Andrews swordpoint.

In either case, recent rumours, a certain degree of controversy from the church and the upcoming wedding of Prince Frederick has all meant that it has become… politically expedient for Andrew to be out of the country for a few months or years. Fortunately, this series of events has lined up nicely with the Kingdom of Gaults desires for outward expansion. By chartering Andrew with the responsibility of founding a colony, the King gets a loyal servant on Peregrin Minor and a walking, talking controversy out of Gault where it can explode mostly harmlessly. The success or failure of such a colony doesn't really enter the equation.

- - - -

+2 Royal Prerogative - Being the only son of a war hero who was elevated to the nobility for saving the life of the king has it’s advantages. Andrews father was made a Baronet for his heroism and he and Andrew have been fixtures of the court for many years, allowing them to curry favours and friends among the royal family. Andrews association with the crown prince is also a source of much influence. Even on the other side of the ocean, Andrew’s word holds much sway.

+2 Dueling Aficionado - The fickle nature of court life means the nobility are constantly after some form of distraction and entertainment. Andrew has had many “hobbies” over the years; horse breeding, botany, cattle breeding, poetry, sheep breeding and so forth. One of the few things that have held Andrews interest for more then a few months is dueling. And at court, where yesterdays friends are today's enemies, there has been plenty of opportunity for practice.

+4 Palace Education - Being a favourite of the court and the royal family, and being of similar age to the Crown Prince, Andrew was often made subject to the various tutors along with Prince Frederick. While education was often the furthest thing from Andrews mind, it’s hard not to absorb some knowledge from some of the best lecturers the universities of Gault had to offer.

-2 Religious Controversy - It all started going downhill when Andrew was nine, when he and young Frederick threw jam tarts at a visiting priest for having a “stupid hat”. Since then it’s been controversy after controversy, coming to a head with a paper being published only a few months ago postulating the theory of “Andretics”, a more catchy title compared to “The Andrew Gene Theorem Of Offspring Inheritance”, based on Andrews experience with animal and plant breeding. The theory suggests life was not made whole cloth by god, but rather a number of factors. This outrageous and heretical claim, coupled with the (what some would say inappropriate) friendship with the Crown Prince has meant that Andrew has had to leave Gault very, very quickly.

-2 Foolhardy -This recent spat with the Church is just another example of Andrews inability to back away from something. Mountain climbing, fighting with the church, fighting with pretty much anyone really. Andrew is stubborn and foolhardy to an extreme, and although a bit of stubbornness will be a necessary quality in the establishment of a colony, Andrew takes it to a whole new level.
------

Who Holds Your Charter?
Andrew’s esteemed friend, the Crown Prince Frederick Floric Antes of Gault, is the holder of his Charter.

All the Necessaries Fit Snugly in Four Ships. You Were Chartered Five Ships. To What Use Do You Put Your Final Ship?
Andrew’s briefing was quite… brief; so hurried was his departure from Gault Andrew scarcely had time to pack all of his furniture! But there was one thing Andrew refused to leave without and that was his newest project. A cattle breeding program, hoping to create a more robust and practical cattle breed for use of the peasants in less hospitable areas. While the meat is not as tender as the Wellington breed and the milk not as creamy as the Borgendale blend, Blackwood cattle are hardy, resistant to all temperatures, are milk-able and edible both and above all, Andrew refused to leave without them. So, the fifth ship became home to a small herd of very special cattle.

If it’s KODP inspired, it’s gotta be cows.

What Sort of People Will You Bring To The New World?
+2 Industrious - In either a form of ironic joke or genuine care of his part, Prince Frederic managed to charter some recently out of work guild hall members as settlers for Andrews aspiring colony. Diligent, hard-working and industrious to Andrews… not any of those things, the desperate workers know who really pays their contracts and will remain fastidious in their duties, whether or not this whole “colony” thing actually manages to work out.

What Will You Remember of Gault on Your Long Voyage Away From Home?
"Ahh, what I will remember most fondly about Gault is the Rontham Road. Many years ago some very clever king decided that all the best universities and colleges should be all grouped together in the same place, to allow lecturers and professors easier access to materials from other universities, promote inter-disciplinary unity and to have a right big booze up every Saturday night. At one end of the road you have the Royal Chartered College of Surgical Excellence, on the other end you have the Gaultian Military Academy, where all the strapping young officers go to begin their learning in the military arts. In between the two there are twenty seven other institutions of higher learning each catering to different disciplines; mathematics, architecture, literary works anything else you could possible want. And where they havn’t stuffed a university, they’ve got salons, coffee houses and pubs. Pubs galore! It is a fantastic place to be whether you’re looking for some learning in a certain field, art and culture, a fine debate among peers or if you’re in the mood for a punch-up."

When Your Sailors Whisper Rumors of Pyrenze, What Do They Whisper?
The sailors whisper of but one thing coming out of the Pyrenze Peninsula; war. War with Angelerre and Monte-Farbach on the continent. War between the highest nobles for control of the crown. War with the nations of Cantrimir to the far south, and even with Xing’Ing and Raptnan at the furthest known reaches of far east. There is even talk of wars with nations we have never even encountered. You would scarcely think they had the men for so many wars! The war talk that passes through the most lips however, is the talk of war between the Pyrenze and Gault. The Pyrenze sit atop the golden throne of power and while seemingly merciful with the supplicant, it appears that this recent attempt at grabbing a slice of the new world for ourselves has angered them greatly.

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 20, 2017

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Well thanks for being the first application! I imagine others will start to roll in soon. We're looking to accept between 8 and 10 players so I hope of course we get that many apps and more before deadline.

Your sheet isn't completed but I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question now, I know I'm gonna wanna ask it later. Is Andrew reluctant to be sent to the new world? Your application essentially describes him being "thrown out" of Gault. As the result of a convergence of factors, sure, but is there any resentment there for him? Is Peregrin Minor a place he actually wants to be?

Also, on the subject of your first drawback, I'm worried a poor reputation with the church won't be a strong enough point for me to play with until the middle to end of the game. Keep in mind that the first churches in the New World will be the ones that you guys build. Depending on how you play its possible no church structure will get established at all, in which case I would probably step in but ... In the end not being able to rely on favors from the church is a trait you'll likely share with everybody, unless special circumstances are met through the course of playing the game. So I was hoping we could take that idea and make it a little punchier.

Could you imagine Andrew being actively sought after by the church? Maybe the prince sent him to Peregrin Minor and three days later there was a papal edict out for his arrest, they want to talk with him in some terrifying underground cell or what-have-you? It wasn't uncommon for heretical intellectuals to be thrown in prisons for upsetting the status quo, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for the Church of Gault to want to apprehend your character. And that would change the apparent relationship between you and the church from a mutual sense of "Grrr-", to something more like Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd. Which I think could be a lot of fun.

But it's your character and your decision. Feel free to run me through any ideas you have for replacement drawbacks and we can talk it out and get something working.

I like the character so far. He fits the mood. I find him humorously posh and he makes me think of Oscar Wilde. He'd probably make a good Benjamin Franklin analogue. Keep up the good work, looking forward to reading it when its done.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Mother Kalliendria, High Priestess of the Blood Rites

Backstory: Kalliendria was a foundling, left on the doorstep of a convent of the Church of Gault. Raised to the strictures of the monastic rule, her competence and assertive manner saw her rise to prominence over the years. Her devotion to the faith and unwavering loyalty to the church made her an ideal choice for induction into some of the more esoteric rites of the faith, and she proved an apt and capable learner. Her prowess led to her ordination as a Priestess, fit to command the forces of the Church as required and with relatively light supervision. Commended for the success of Church levies under her command in one of the interminable minor wars Gault was so often enmeshed in, she was seen as an ideal candidate to be appointed Mother Superior over an ecclesiastical establishment in the New World.

Skills [+8]

+4 Mistress of the Esoteric Rites - As a high ranking church official whose loyalty is matched only by her discretion, Kalliendria is party to the practice and execution of certain rites which are usually covered by obscurantism and mystery lest they spook the laity. Everything from true absolution and shriving through to exorcism and banishing evils of all kinds, she knows how to bring them about. She is trained in the armaments of the Church, their use in battle and how to properly anoint and consecrate them. She can also do marriages, funerals, confirmations and ordinations as required.

+2 Charitable Goodwill - The church sees itself as having a duty of care towards the people, and it does not shirk this duty. Helping those in need, tending to the sick, comforting the bereaved, supporting those bound in holy matrimony, blessing their issue, and taking responsibility for foundlings and orphans. A thousand and one little kindnesses that go utterly unnoticed by those powerful enough to never have need of them, but never forgotten by those that do. The community turns to the Church in times of trouble, and to be seen as its representative grants a certain cachet, respect and a willingness to pay back what was freely given. It is a mutual bond of support which helps both sides.

+2 Favoured of the Church - Just as she serves the Church of Gault, so too does the Ecclesiastical establishment have her back. They want her to succeed and will be more than happy to provide assistance she deems necessary, should she ask.

Drawbacks [-4]

-2 Religious Prudery
- Raised in a Nunnery, she has little grasp of the seedier side of life, be it smuggling to keep a colony alive through illicit means rather than starve, turning a blind eye to the excesses of sailors safe on shore after months at sea, or other minor breaches of morality that most of society wouldn't bat an eyelid over for good or ill.

-2 Fanatical Will
- As one raised from near-birth within a stronghold of the Church of Gault, her indoctrinations have developed into an unshakeable and committed faith, a drive to do what is right even in the face of easy, straightforward or profitable options. She will always do that which benefits the church, even at cost to herself, without a moment's pause.

Who Holds Your Charter?:

The Church of Gault has commissioned her to make a theocratic establishment on the new shore. - Loyal to the crown, of course, for the church is free of ulterior motives or schemes of power and control.

Consecrated items, blessed by the Grand Hierarch himself. Everything from sanctified door-lintels with which to secure church entrances, to altar-pieces for all rituals, to blesséd weapons and armour. Everything necessary for a strong and long-lasting holy presence.

What Sort of People Will You Bring To The New World?

+2 Devout labourers - Willing to put up with almost any amount of hardship and privation, the colonists under Kalliendria's purview are almost as fanatical as she is, hard workers right down to the last child. So long as it benefits the Church, they will give it their all.

What Will You Remember of Gault on Your Long Voyage Away From Home?
"My mind drifts back to the sublime glories of the High Cathedral in the capital, the way the sunlight through the great rose window would cause dancing gemstones of light to slowly move across the high altar as the day progressed. Perhaps, one day, we shall build something as fine to be the centre of worship in the new lands."

"The sailors whisper dark tales of heretics and consorters with vile spirits, venal souls besmirched by the ways of the world and a surfeit of fleshly pleasures, sinning as they please and condemning all their kin to damnation. Is it even worth trying to make them see the light?"

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 23, 2017

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Finished up the rest of the app. Might re-tweak a couple of things but for now it’s complete.

My initial thought was having the colony on Peregrin Minor start out as a sort of distraction for Andrew. To both protect him and keep him out of their hair for a few months, the royals and his family bundle him off to the new world where he’ll be distracted by how shiny and new everything is, then get bored and come back after a few months hopefully in time for everything to be smoothed over. Except, in the course of the game, running the colony manages to keep him interested for quite a bit longer. However, you’re idea of escalating the problems with the church is a pretty interesting one. I’m fine with upgrading from “Oh the new world looks interesting, why don’t you go over for a few months, oh you want to stay there? Okay whatever.” into “The Pope is coming to arrest you in five minutes, here’s a charter and receipt for 5 ships, now run!” I’ll have a think on other possible drawbacks to replace the current one, but if nothing comes to mind I’m fine with an even more hostile relationship between Andrew and the Church, even up to the point where there is serious risk of church agents coming to try and drag Andrew back.

In that case, the new world changes from a place of distraction for a few months into a land of forced exile, with the expected change in attitude that would come from that.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I'm running with the idea of pastoral not-Britain ignoring industrialization/modernity for a reason. Namely the influence of the Church of Gault.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
"I'm sure you are already aware that it took Gault thirty years to adopt the crossbow. Thirty. Years. Thirty years after first being introduced to it through war, through death, through the armor of our knights being punctured and pierced and perforated, through our armies and superior longbowmen being outclassed by inexpensive hordes of untrained conscripts armed with cheap weaponry the Church finally grant an exception to its archaic rule against technological complexity.

I'm not sure there's a more apt metaphor for our country, sir. We could have industry and success. Instead, we have stagnancy and death. We have the Church."

Letter to the King's brother, His Grace Arthur FitzRoy, Duke of Brightwell

Sir Malcolm Hawke

Backstory:
Hawke can pinpoint the exact moment his country swung back into mediocrity. He knows the exact date. He wouldn't never say it outloud, of course, being both as an ardent monarchist and a keen survivalist but he knows all the same. It was day of the birth of the current of the king. The "Miracle Prince" he was called at the time.

The old king, His Royal Highness Richard VI, had no heirs. His wife had produced no children in twenty-five years of (quite-loving) marriage. And worst, he had no close male relatives of appropriate blood. The Church was and still is radically anti-divorce. And so his Royal Highness began... drifting from the Church. To put it lightly. This is all common knowledge. A young woman named Anne, a servingwoman in the castle, was determined by a panel of royal advisers to be an excellent candidate for siring an heir to the throne. She was young. Strong. And exceptionally beautiful. And, sure enough, she produced King Richard a son: Arthur. Arthur was given the surname "FitzRoy" as befitting the king's acknowledgement of him and was placed in the Royal Nursery.

This put the whole Church in an awful tizzy. Adultery being a sin and all. But the more dust they kicked up, the further King Richard separated himself from them. Several cardinals were stripped of power or forced to resign. Certain Church lands were seized by the Crown for development. The king, the Church, and indeed all of Gault was at a turning point.

But then the Queen became pregnant. She was fifty-seven years old. The "Miracle Prince" was born. The pendulum swung back. And the Church of Gault has never been more powerful.

Hawke is a loyal servant to the Crown and a traditionalist and a family man and a Church-goer but he is frustrated by the state of his country. He has seen first hand the damage the Church can inflict upon Gault. To live in a time when "work smarter not harder" is a borderline heretical thought could drive any man to near madness. But Hawke is a military man, a decorated naval officer, and he has witnessed first hand the unnecessary death born from an edict against innovation. One cannot retroactively prepare for war. Gault almost lost part of its coastline to the Pyrenze and Hawke was almost excommunicated and imprisoned for saving it.

The Royal Navy-- highly skilled but horribly outgunned--was in disarray following the death of the Vice-Admiral and the disastrous battle outside of Kingsport. Everyone else limped off to save their ships and to live to fight another day. Hawke did the opposite. He docked, packed all remaining gunpowder both from his ship and the city at large, scuttled his beloved Horizon to hide his presence, and waited for the Pyrenze to arrive.

And then he blew it up. All of it.

The Pyrenze Armada was shattered. The city of Kingsport (if not the dock) was saved. And Hawke was put on trial by the Church.

He would be released, of course. After public outcry and a little royal pressure. But it left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. The consensus amongst all parties is that it would be best for him to take his "talents" to the New World and everyone would get to save face. The Crown could reward a hero. The Church could remove a thorn. And Hawke could receive a real opportunity to better his country.

Skills
Veteran in Service of the Crown -- Academy graduate. Distinguished officer. Decorated war hero. Gentleman of questionable moral character. Questionable at least as far as the Church concerned since Hawke has routinely demonstrated and vocally stated that he values the importance of his men's lives over strict adherence to tradition and dogma. +2 War

Modernist in Service of the Country -- Hawke knows there is only one thing that changes the world faster than war... gold. And there is plenty of that to be made in the New World. Without the suffocating stranglehold of the Church to stymie innovation and invention and advancement, there is very real opportunity to facilitate change for the country. Even if it has to happen far, far from the country itself. +2 Business +2 Innovation

Drawbacks
Revolutionary -2 -- Men who look to the future always concern those in charge of the status quo. After all, how far a stretch is it really for a man who rails against one tradition to move on to another?

Poorly-Allied -2 -- He might be beloved by the common man but his friends in power number few. And his one major benefactor, the holder of his Charter, isn't much better off himself.

Who Holds Your Charter?:
Technically, the Charter is held by the king's half-brother, Arthur FitzRoy, the Duke of Brightwell. The two men share a proclivity towards progressive thought and a desire to see Gault industrialize. Unofficially and a bit ironically, the Church of Gault is also involved. The public outcry that stemmed from the trial of "the Hero of Kingsport" was a tremendous egg on the face of the current hierophant. But the wily old statesman didn't ascend unto his position of higher power without learning how to turn an egg into an omelette. He's taking this event as an opportunity from God to dump the Church prisons--and the country as a whole--of undesirables.

What Sort of People Will You Bring To The New World? (Create a [+2] Skill for your colonists)
Free-thinkers. Inventors. Dissidents. Artists. Atheists. Debtors. Divorcees. The Church's condemnation casts a wide net. So Hawke's future colonists might not be singularly focused or specialized in any one field (save for the fact that they are unwelcome and unliked and persecuted in their home country) But, goodness, there are an awful lot of them. +2 Numerous

As Hawke see's it: the future. Raw materials. Metal. Tools. Everything necessary to build a foundry and then enough resources left over to begin short-scale production.

What Will You Remember of Gault on Your Long Voyage Away From Home? (Tell us something, or a couple something’s, about Gault. Keep this portion in-character and please try not to contradict other entries.)
"Gault is the greatest country in the world. God save the King."

"Their king is a decadent, indecent slob unfit for leadership let alone a crown. Their soldiers are well-trained though over reliant on their equipment. Their civilians are hot-headed, quick to anger, but honorable. Prisoners of war are well-treated. Their Peregrin Major colonies are suffering from an unknown ailment or malady. I'm not sure what it is but it's causing quite a concern amongst those in power."

*** The general idea here is that Hawke and his colony will be a bit like James Edward Oglethorpe and Georgia. He'll be sailing with a ship of prisoners except instead of them being primarily debtors they're Church dissidents and free-thinkers. Also, I think its hilarious to have a group of people escaping religious persecution but... the other way around

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 25, 2017

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

I must say I'm really delighted everyone's applications are so sympatico. We have a man who resents the church, a woman who basically is the church and a fellow who's being hunted by the church. If I accepted only the three of you, this would still make a funny story.

@AJ-Imp - I'd hoped someone would take on the role of representing the church. It makes my life much simpler to be able to provide pokes and nudges about what the papacy wants instead of making decisions directly for them. So thanks for that. Kalliendria reads quite well. I have two questions to start off with, and we may have some more branch of that but we can cross those bridges as we reach them

The first has to do with your ship of consecrated relics. I didn't know if any of the apps would make it pertinent to reveal this, but yours has. Magic is going to play a role in the middle to late game. Eldritch Magic. Mostly unfriendly eldritch magic. So let me ask, how potent are you imaging your holy relics? Because if your character is really bringing blessed arms and armours, blessed enough to resist dark magic or curses from very evil things, then you and your surplus of those items will be highly useful past the midgame. On the flip side of that coin, you may get noticed quicker, or most especially, by the horrors in question. I wouldn't want you to feel singled out but, realistically, having that sort of gear would make you a target on this continent. It would improve your ability to fight back, certainly, but it would also bring more fights to your doorstep.

So, let me know if that's a thing you're okay with. If you'd prefer a situation that involved less combat, I could also interpret your relics as something like a fame modifier, which would get you more colonists every year. Alternately, if neither of those are really what you had in mind when you chose relics, let me know what you were thinking and, in all likelyhood, I can accommodate for it.

My second question is if I can convince you to replace Stubborn As A Mule with Fanatical Will for your second drawback? They're somewhat similar Traits to begin with, I think that Fanatical Will is a little easier to define and see the results of in gameplay. And having to think of The Church of Gault before you consider the well-being of your own colony and colonists is definitely more of a drawback than a skill. Kind of a clever drawback at that considering your background and the vaguely crusades-y feel of your app. The choice is yours of course, I try to give all of my players full agency. But if you're open to that change I think the character would play smoother for it. And you'd get two points of skill back to reassign, so you could give her some other kind of boon, if you wanted.

@Tyrannosaurus - Your sheet isn't done yet but as with Oscar Diggs I'm gonna talk with you about it anyway. Your character reminds me of, like, if Thomas Jefferson started the Ford Motor Company. I like that he's a well spoken progressive. The angle of pushing for industrialization is gonna be fun and sufficiently unique. I like that you know who Oglethorpe is, a knowledge of history helps us parody history. There's really only one thing I want to talk with you about. But two points I have to make because of it.

In some ways I feel this would be a stronger app if you toned down Hawke's military focus just a little. The things that stand out to me so far about Hawke are his industrial proclivity, his connection with the almost-king of Gault and his hard stance against religious dogmas. He's a modernist in my mind more than a general or admiral, I like that he follows modern warfare trends and I think it makes sense for him to have served in the military - but currently six of your eight skill points are devoted to war style things. I just think you'd have more fun with a slightly more rounded character.

... and tactics as a skill is one of my pet peeves...

Anyway, I think you should consider taking this character in a Rockefeller direction. Making things and profiting from them. I could see Hawke leading an expedition of men into the jungle to lay down railroad tracks. Or leading a team of engineers into the mountains to drat a river. Probably your colony will have a foundry, right? Hawke could be home-making the very same armaments that aren't allowed in Gault and supplying his colonists with them. Hell, he could honestly just be making lightbulbs or something and it would definitely give me a little more to play with. Having skills like those will grow the culture of your colony a lot more effectively than fighting well would. In my opinion.

If any or some of that sounds acceptable, or if you have other ideas, let me know and we can talk it through. I like your character and i'm looking forward to reading the finished app.

@Oscar Diggs - i'm glad to hear that change will work for you. On the subject of church agents try to drag you back to Gault, I was playing with that notion myself. I'll probably reserve something like that for if things go really badly in the midgame, as I don't want your character to get pulled away from developing your colony until that colony can sort of stand on its own as a character. However, yes, that will be a risk for Andrew at some point. Negligibly so if you can keep your head down, but I don't plan to let anyone keep there head down long.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

KhediveRex posted:

@AJ-Imp - I'd hoped someone would take on the role of representing the church. It makes my life much simpler to be able to provide pokes and nudges about what the papacy wants instead of making decisions directly for them. So thanks for that. Kalliendria reads quite well. I have two questions to start off with, and we may have some more branch of that but we can cross those bridges as we reach them

The first has to do with your ship of consecrated relics. I didn't know if any of the apps would make it pertinent to reveal this, but yours has. Magic is going to play a role in the middle to late game. Eldritch Magic. Mostly unfriendly eldritch magic. So let me ask, how potent are you imaging your holy relics? Because if your character is really bringing blessed arms and armours, blessed enough to resist dark magic or curses from very evil things, then you and your surplus of those items will be highly useful past the midgame. On the flip side of that coin, you may get noticed quicker, or most especially, by the horrors in question. I wouldn't want you to feel singled out but, realistically, having that sort of gear would make you a target on this continent. It would improve your ability to fight back, certainly, but it would also bring more fights to your doorstep.

So, let me know if that's a thing you're okay with. If you'd prefer a situation that involved less combat, I could also interpret your relics as something like a fame modifier, which would get you more colonists every year. Alternately, if neither of those are really what you had in mind when you chose relics, let me know what you were thinking and, in all likelyhood, I can accommodate for it.

My second question is if I can convince you to replace Stubborn As A Mule with Fanatical Will for your second drawback? They're somewhat similar Traits to begin with, I think that Fanatical Will is a little easier to define and see the results of in gameplay. And having to think of The Church of Gault before you consider the well-being of your own colony and colonists is definitely more of a drawback than a skill. Kind of a clever drawback at that considering your background and the vaguely crusades-y feel of your app. The choice is yours of course, I try to give all of my players full agency. But if you're open to that change I think the character would play smoother for it. And you'd get two points of skill back to reassign, so you could give her some other kind of boon, if you wanted.

"The role of the church, first and foremost, is a duty to save the souls of humanity. From their own sin, yes, but there are threats beyond that. Those possessed by demons, those serpents, the voice of temptation, the work of the Accuser... Our duty must also encompass each and every one of these threats as well. We did not bring these relics, ritual tools, guardstones and blessed armaments to be decorative. We brought them to be used."

The Church militant will not shy away from danger. Yea, though we walk through the valley of death, we came prepared with the heavy-duty stuff.

Sure, I'll shift fanatical will down, they were very much the two sides of the same coin to begin with. Editing in an alternative.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
No, I think you're on to something. That's a solid direction. I've added a bunch following your notes (and will finish tonight).

Finished.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

So, it's the fifth today and we said we would be accepting apps until the sixth. We've only received three apps so far and that is, unfortunately, not going to be enough to run a satisfying game in this format. So...

We are extending the deadline one more week. Our new cut off for apps is now Monday, March 13th

If you've been thinking of putting in an app, we'd love to hear from you. And if you've already put in an app and would like to see the game come to fruition, bug your friends about joining us with an app. We'd like to accept between eight and ten players. I think the game could be run with six but, realistically, not with less.

We're in lighting round now folks. I hope to see a lot more apps from you.

• Locked thread