Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Vince MechMahon posted:

Did anyone read Gary's first book? I have zero connection to the Worlds of Power stuff he's riffing on, but with him doing a kickstarter for a second I'm wondering if I should check it out and maybe back it.

It's good but it's going to lose a little if you're unfamiliar with either the title he's paying homage to or the WoP novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's good but it's going to lose a little if you're unfamiliar with either the title he's paying homage to or the WoP novels.

I have a decent enough understanding of both Dark Souls and Fallout that I'd get that end. And from what I understand WoP were basically kids books written by people who were given like, a paragraph about the game and told to go nuts. Is the first one funny?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, if you dig Gary's humor on the shows, you'll enjoy the book.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I guess I'll pick it up then. Hopefully I'll be able to get through it before the Kickstarter is over for the new one so I can back it if I like it.

E: oh hey, $5 audio book.

E2: While I've never read any Worlds of Power stuff, I did read a lot of Goosebumps when I was a kid, and I immediately recognized the style he's doing here. And it's really spot on.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 10, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
If anyone doesn't listen to MIMP, you owe it to yourself to at least listen to the one where Gary discovers the existence of star-nosed moles on air http://www.monsterinmypodcast.com/21

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Vaati did a faux Prepare to Cry on a character from Gary's first book, which may give an idea of the general feel of it, and is honestly really funny and not many people have seen it. (I hope it's ok to share it here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mpEVW9uoKg

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If anyone doesn't listen to MIMP, you owe it to yourself to at least listen to the one where Gary discovers the existence of star-nosed moles on air http://www.monsterinmypodcast.com/21

Haha nice! I hope they end up doing Shadowrun creatures for season 2 of the show.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Just wanted to pop in and say that Radio Free Midworld owns. I marathoned the series about a decade ago and can't bring myself to reread them, but the podcast is a great substitute.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I didn't realize I was reading a retconned copy of The Gunslinger. Gan drat it, I hate that.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
How do I suggest songs for Teenage Dirtbags? Just found a good one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z--E9OeuJE

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I thought they were a little harsh on DS3 on the whole, but this new DLC is basically every single issue they had with the story telling and "more hard=better" design of that game wrapped into one package, even more so than the previous one.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Well guess I won't be listening to Bonfireside Chat again anytime soon, because the circular discussions they had anytime they didn't like something were driving me crazy

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Well guess I won't be listening to Bonfireside Chat again anytime soon, because the circular discussions they had anytime they didn't like something were driving me crazy

This time they're going to be totally right, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Vince MechMahon posted:

This time they're going to be totally right, though.

They've been right before, it's still a lot of going in circles around the same points in order to defend themselves against every possible objection someone might have that I don't have much use for.

The rightness or wrongness is kind of irrelevant here, it's just this thing that seems to happen to them when they don't like a thing in Dark Souls

Or don't like a pop culture property that has a tie-in game on Abject Suffering but that's a different kettle of fish and one that's easier to avoid when I don't feel like it, because I can just skip ahead ten minutes and listen to them talk about booger semen or whatever

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

They've been right before, it's still a lot of going in circles around the same points in order to defend themselves against every possible objection someone might have that I don't have much use for.

I'm saying this as a fan of the show and all but it feels like they really seldom actually disagree with each other in a major way (I actually can't think of any examples off the top of my head) and yeah, they do just beat the same point into the ground back and forth over and over.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tracula posted:

I'm saying this as a fan of the show and all but it feels like they really seldom actually disagree with each other in a major way (I actually can't think of any examples off the top of my head) and yeah, they do just beat the same point into the ground back and forth over and over.

I mean they do have differences of opinion now and then(like Kole being more positive on VNs then Gary or Gary liking the song "Inside Out" by Eve 6) but they do have very similar tastes and backgrounds, Kole's weird time displaced TV history notwithstanding and occasionally I feel like it ends up with them locked into a certain perspective and barely even knowing there's a different way to look at things.

I mean don't get me wrong, them being in sync works great most of the time, it's just annoying when they start playing pong with a point and neither of them are moving the paddle

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I love the chemistry they have but BFSC has become an insufferable series of complaints and based on whats coming and Twitters it's not going to get better. Just as well, the DS3 season was a slog.

Just confirms my belief that Abject Suffering is their best show by a ton. :colbert:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

https://twitter.com/koleross/status/847023099618963457

Sup, Kole.

Radio Free Midworld is supremely dope keep that poo poo rolling. Genuinely can't wait til the series heel turns on you and y'all talk about killer Dr. Dooms with lightsabers. It was where I was pretty sure King was pranking his readers.

Pangaea Ultima
Sep 7, 2005

Fun Shoe
http://twitter.com/GaryBuh/status/847007561987604480

Gary's tweet last night got me thinking about my own reaction to Dark Souls 3 and BFSC. I think both were difficult for me for the same reason--I really wanted to like DS3 and it just fell flat for me in so many ways that mirrored what Gary and Kole described. One thing I keep coming back to that was a theme throughout BFSC is that from early on the souls games had a reputation for being "hard" that was really played up by the git gud crowd that really missed the point of everything I loved about the series. I haven't played the recent DLCs but it seems like that really became a focus for some reason, and it's just not what I'm looking for in these games at all.

I appreciate that Gary and Kole try to be sensitive to the bizarre feedback and hate that gets thrown their way by the increasingly toxic souls community. It seems like in a lot of ways both the series and that community have developed into something I just really am not into, and that makes me really sad. So although it can be frustrating to hear them caveat their opinions so much, I'm sure they're sharing like a fraction of the hate they receive so I don't envy them that position.

ITT I white knight Gary and Kole apparently....

Looking forward to the final DLC discussion! Gary should pitch that article to waypoint.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

"hosed and Cucked by Nameless King" by Chuck Tingle

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
If anyone posting ITT still hasn't bought the Diggity Duck Bundle I couldn't recommend it more, every episode is pretty great and it has some of that hard to come by Steve Gaynor podcast content we all crave.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

weekly font posted:

https://twitter.com/koleross/status/847023099618963457

Sup, Kole.

Radio Free Midworld is supremely dope keep that poo poo rolling. Genuinely can't wait til the series heel turns on you and y'all talk about killer Dr. Dooms with lightsabers. It was where I was pretty sure King was pranking his readers.

I for one can't wait for near the end where we meet three bearded not-Stephen-Kings that try to give Susannah a sweater.

BFSC winding down in a bad way made me nervous about the future of the network, but Radio-free Midworld and Days of Future Cast are both pure gold.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

credburn posted:

The quality of Duckfeed is fueled greatly by the talent and attention to detail its hosts (namely Kole) ...

I also edit and produce :colbert:

And just to say my minor piece about it (not to get into a prolonged argument), though it may appear as if I'm arguing with no one, or a straw man, about Souls opinions, we get a lot of feedback that doesn't come through publicly, and we get a lot of feedback that is very _sensitive_. I act like me being down on Souls might hurt someone's feelings because people tell me that it does hurt their feelings and I'm not the sort of person who's really capable of saying, "gently caress'em. That's their problem."

That's probably a fault, but it's not something that's a priority for me to change right now. It's also one of those things where we get conflicting feedback. So, the people itt saying they had to stop listening to BSC aren't the first people to say so, but we also get people who are saying, "Hey, this game is rough and I'm really glad you guys are actually talking about it because no one else is." In our position, such feedback is really hard to act on because we get conflicting stuff. So, we just go with our gut and our gut says to just honestly say what we feel about the game and not try to hurt anyone's feelings, regardless of if they have the right to have their feelings hurt.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 29, 2017

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It should be less of "gently caress it it's their problem" (which, tbf, it is) and more "what the hell do you want?" You gotta run your ship the best way you can that's true to you and you will never, ever please everybody. The nice thing is that you guys have years of established personalities and chemistry and I think it's telling that everyone in this thread who is down on BSC is really high on another network show.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Regardless of how negative the show has gotten, it would be completely disingenuous for the tone to be anything other than it is right now.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

It's real hard for me not to act on my gut with stuff like this. It doesn't bother me if people move away from the show for this reason. I totally get it. I'm not trying to convince anyone not to ditch the show (though I'm happy people who do listen to WOFF too), just trying to explain that while it seems like I'm talking to a vacuum about such things, there are actually responses and feedback that most people don't see. They're drops in the ocean, and definitely get more air time than they should by percentage, I admit.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I feel the only way for BSC to move forward is shifting to random games with souls in the title. Start with Murdered: Soul Suspect.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Aardark posted:

I feel the only way for BSC to move forward is shifting to random games with souls in the title. Start with Murdered: Soul Suspect.

Murdered: Soul Suspect is, imo, the dark souls of ghost games

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Aardark posted:

I got Soul but I'm not a Souls-like

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

WOFF has been on a great run lately. The Nintendo Power episode was exceptional, I especially liked their mention of the AV club article on being a game counselor: http://www.avclub.com/article/what-was-it-be-nintendo-game-play-counselor-224289

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm almost caught up on Teenage Dirtbags. Ding dong, it's me... THE WEIRD MAN.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
spoilers for upcoming Abject Suffering if you're a non-backer

While we mostly say cum, australian slang has a variety of terms for it deriving from Sperm, such as Spunk, Spunt, Spoof or Sprog

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Every game they play apparently contain something "really gross!". Like very drat game :rolleyes:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mordekai posted:

Every game they play apparently contain something "really gross!". Like very drat game :rolleyes:

Oh hey, it's one of the straw men they spend too much time arguing with, right here in the thread.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I feel like Monster In My Podcast is consistently the strongest thing they put out, probably because of how distilled it is

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

I wish someone would make a supercut of every time Kole worryingly starts yelling "Gary... Gary, Gary!"

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Oh good, the Teenage Dirtbags boys get Run The Jewels. Since I've heard Gary and Kole talk about "rap music" before, I was worried I would have to place Duckfeed on my shitlist forever when I saw they reviewed Nobody Speak.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Aardark posted:

Oh good, the Teenage Dirtbags boys get Run The Jewels. Since I've heard Gary and Kole talk about "rap music" before, I was worried I would have to place Duckfeed on my shitlist forever when I saw they reviewed Nobody Speak.

I hadn't seen the Driller Mike photo before this episode so it was extra heartwarming on my end. Teenage Dirtbags is a real good show

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Hah yeah, I hadn''t seen the photo either. Killer Mike is pretty awesome. I remember seeing an interview where he politely explained that his name is a joke about killing microphones and is not related to gang violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Xenolalia posted:

I wish someone would make a supercut of every time Kole worryingly starts yelling "Gary... Gary, Gary!"

Haha yeah, one of my favorite Kole moments was during Barbie's horse adventures. It was something like "you broke me Gary."

I've never listened to Teenage Dirtbags, what's a good intro episode?