Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I think Unfilmable has become my new favorite network show. The episodes on Castle Freak and Midsommer were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Hellraiser 2 episode was fantastic. One of the all-time greats of the 80s. Unfilmable absolutely rocks.

NO. no? NO.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I'm really happy they're finally doing Fallout 4 on WOFF; my wife got me that and a bunch of new computer hardware for Christmas one year and I have sunk so much time into it and goofy poo poo like the crafting and settlement building and such. It was the first Fallout title I played and I'm sure it's blasphemy, but I actually like most of the streamlining that they did to the game. I've tried to go back to some of the older titles and just bounced off of them but this one had just the right gimmicks and gameplay to keep me engaged for way too long. They're right about the dialog though, it sucks poo poo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

killhamster posted:

I'm really happy they're finally doing Fallout 4 on WOFF; my wife got me that and a bunch of new computer hardware for Christmas one year and I have sunk so much time into it and goofy poo poo like the crafting and settlement building and such. It was the first Fallout title I played and I'm sure it's blasphemy, but I actually like most of the streamlining that they did to the game. I've tried to go back to some of the older titles and just bounced off of them but this one had just the right gimmicks and gameplay to keep me engaged for way too long. They're right about the dialog though, it sucks poo poo.

Nice! I was dumb and bought it at launch. Some good times but would also get invested in quest lines that would glitch and become unfinishable. Did like being able to customize power armor. Yeah the dialogue was bad and the male protagonist sounded bored. the mix of teleportation and replicator robots didn’t feel like fallout, felt like the writers wanted to tell a mix of Star Trek and terminator.

Fallout games go up about two points on a rating scale three years post launch after the big patches and dlc are out and the bundle is $15.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
About halfway listening to the Fallout 4 Part 1 episode. I agree wholeheartedly with their takes that the base building was good and the dialog system was bad. Hooray!

It's odd though in 2021 to spend any time talking about Travis the DJ from Fallout 4 without mentioning he was played by Coach Beard from Ted Lasso.

Listening to this is making me want to start it up again, I definitely bought the Season Pass but I actually never finished the game, trying to delay choosing between the factions as long as possible. Moved on to the next thing before any of the DLC came out at all.

If my savegame still exists somewhere I would probably find it very challenging to drop back into my 120 hours played world, but it's a lot more conceivable than starting over.

This podcast is such a joy to listen to sometimes. I've had a lot of prior exposure to blowhards like Ian Bogost who think no videogame should ever have a story, it's nice to hear people praise a game's mechanics while still allowing that it could or does have a decent story though the story could be done better.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I actually did a playthrough with each faction instead of putting off choosing, the most fun was sneaking into Nuka-World at the very beginning instead of properly leveling up and then coming back and steamrolling all the low level quests with my raider pals.

I’ve put something insane like 2000 hours into this game and listening to them talk about all the parts that were good kinda makes me want to go back and build up all my weird little settlements again.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

My favorite moment came early as I had no idea Codsworth knew how to say my not super common first name.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

My favorite moment came early as I had no idea Codsworth knew how to say my not super common first name.

Canonically, the FO4 PC's name is "Miss Fuckface".

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

killhamster posted:

I’ve put something insane like 2000 hours into this game
:aaa:

I just now listened to the Stardew Valley episode and I have a renewed (but likely temporary) desire to jump back in to this game that I've played a mere 70 hours of.

Both of these games were released a year or two before I had kids and could sink big chunks of time into making my own little worlds without a second thought.

I've still managed to spend 100+ hours into various games since then, but it's usually at the cost of draining down the relationship bars on my real-life relationships.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

:aaa:

I just now listened to the Stardew Valley episode and I have a renewed (but likely temporary) desire to jump back in to this game that I've played a mere 70 hours of.

Both of these games were released a year or two before I had kids and could sink big chunks of time into making my own little worlds without a second thought.

I've still managed to spend 100+ hours into various games since then, but it's usually at the cost of draining down the relationship bars on my real-life relationships.

I liked how Kole immediately set up a factory farm. Felt like a fair review of the game, I got dozens of hours of entertainment but eventually hit a point of ok that's enough.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
How many episodes are they planning on doing on Fallout 4? Are they doing one for each of the DLCs as well?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Beartaco posted:

How many episodes are they planning on doing on Fallout 4? Are they doing one for each of the DLCs as well?

so far there's this

Episode 338: Fallout 4: Part 1
Episode 339: Fallout 4 (Part 2)
WOFF: Fallout 4 Part 3 (Including Automatron and Nuka-World)
WOFF 341: Fallout 4: Far Harbor

I haven't listened past Part 1 but I don't think there's any other substantial DLC if they've done those three?

My enthusiasm for picking the game back up diminished a little bit when I remember why I didn't poke around in any of the early DLC packs

But I imagine Far Harbor is pretty good, maybe I will play it sometime in my life.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nuka World is the other big dlc but it's pretty memey. I'm interested in hearing how far harbor is. I've heard it's got really good writing for a Bethesda joint, but I ain't never made it to the dlc in my runs

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://twitter.com/DuckfeedTV/status/1472025920739360768

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gary thought Nick Arcade was hosted by J.D. Power

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The Dark Messiah episode is really good. I'd vaguely known about the game but only that it was a first person fantasy game in the source engine. It sounds like it does some neat stuff. I've had it in my steam library for over a decade at this point, I might actually go check it out at some point this week

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
A great Abject Suffering, where Gary and Kole learn the premise of That's So Raven and what exactly the house in Cory in the House refers to.

I was a big fan of Raven when I was younger, I should watch a few episodes and see how it holds up.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I've finally started playing Fallout 4 and in the first episode of the WOFF series they say that the twist that your kid is 90 years old is revealed immediately with some of the computer dates in the vault. I looked everywhere in the vault but I couldn't find that tidbit, were they mistaken? Was it patched out? You know that you went in in 2078ish and you know that it's currently 2200 something, but I couldn't find anything that tells you the date your husband and child were de-thawed.

e: and for anyone curious: That's so Raven? Still pretty good! I watched the first episode and had some genuine laughs.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 12, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Got darkest dungeon for switch after their episode and it’s a lot of fun, perfect for the platform. Disco Elysium less so, awful load times.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Has there been any word on if Radio Free Midworld will resume? If this has been addressed before, I missed it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Didn't Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance also have a kicking subtheme, or have I been getting that game and Dark Messiah mixed up for all these years

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Dark Alliance is a Gauntlet clone. If it has kicking it’s just another unsatisfying animation of two piles of polygons mushing into each other, nothing like the grandeur of punting a goblin down a flight of stairs in Dark Messiah.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Shardix posted:

Has there been any word on if Radio Free Midworld will resume? If this has been addressed before, I missed it.

I've been waiting for more as well. Haven't seen anything about it, either. I just assumed Kole got busy and the audience numbers weren't there.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I was in the mood to listen to them talk about Final Fantasy 6 and these episodes came out 10 years ago and I cant keep listening because i am old and turned to dust

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

The Halogens posted:

I've been waiting for more as well. Haven't seen anything about it, either. I just assumed Kole got busy and the audience numbers weren't there.

Yeah, I sort of wondered if the show just wasn't pulling in the numbers to make it worthwhile. Especially with the film absolutely failing to create any serious interest.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I was in the mood to listen to them talk about Final Fantasy 6 and these episodes came out 10 years ago and I cant keep listening because i am old and turned to dust

What do you mean? I've been listening to the 3 Moves Ahead podcast from episode 1 forward and it's much less funny than a WOFF. Not sure what the FF6 episode being a decade old has to do with it, it's not like the game changed. I would think the content is pretty evergreen unless you're poisoned into only consuming the freshest produced content or something.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It's the realization that 10 years have passed OP, has nothing do with the content.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
::sheepishly walks away, hat in hand::

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Man, the latest Abject Suffering really rubs me the wrong way. Gary's talking about some bullying he did in the past, which is fine, we've all done lovely things especially when we were 20 years younger. He says he feels bad about it and considering where the target of his bullying went in life he thinks it's okay to joke about now which I might have agreed with. But then he goes on to be like "I dunno, maybe I'll dig up those old pamphlets I distributed to my friend group mocking the target of my bullying and post them online for our listeners to laugh at as well". I think that's just reveling in what he did at that point. That's not moving past it, that's celebrating it or worse, continuing it.

e: I don't think I give a poo poo that Gary did it, I think I give a poo poo that Gary offered this while claiming he felt so bad about it, implying that because he felt bad about it that gives him carte blanche to do it again. Some real Bojack Horseman vibes.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 1, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Gary's a nice dude I'm sure it was in the pursuit of humour

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

e: I don't think I give a poo poo that Gary did it, I think I give a poo poo that Gary offered this while claiming he felt so bad about it, implying that because he felt bad about it that gives him carte blanche to do it again. Some real Bojack Horseman vibes.

Where did you draw that conclusion from? That's a really weird thing to say and believe.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I for one appreciated the convoluted backstory of the Shatterhand parody poetry slam zine.

I only wish that he had taken his bullying further and made "Orbs! Orbs! Orbs! Orbs!" for Kick Master as well.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

I for one appreciated the convoluted backstory of the Shatterhand parody poetry slam zine.

I only wish that he had taken his bullying further and made "Orbs! Orbs! Orbs! Orbs!" for Kick Master as well.

I think it's one of the funniest anecdotes Gary has ever told. It's like he became a Tim Robinson character at this point in his past.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! I didn't realize my profile was still going. Gary here

Just to clarify: my interest in digging it up isn't like, hey listeners, come and laugh at this. My sincere feeling upon unearthing this memory in myself was intense surrealness and distance. If I found the zine, it wouldn't be like, look how clever I was, it'd be "Look how much effort I put into this extremely smallball thing, god I feel weird."

I'm not trying to yum anyone's yucks. But rest assured, my motivation isn't to revel in my past crapulence even if I'm not constructing a notes app apology for it either.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
If a person isn't constantly extremely embarrassed about the person they were even a year ago they're lying to themselves.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The professor Layton ep is great, I liked Kole accusing him of being a Nyarlathotep figure. Was pleasantly surprised when discussing puzzle books how they mentioned “You Be the Judge” as I liked getting those from the library but had never heard anyone else mention them. Mostly fun brain teasers but as this was a while ago many solutions revolved around knowing flag etiquette or details about postage stamps.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I haven't read Penny Arcade in over a decade, but their comic about the first(?) Layton game has always been in stuck in my head, so thanks for reminding me of that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I haven't read Penny Arcade in over a decade, but their comic about the first(?) Layton game has always been in stuck in my head, so thanks for reminding me of that.

Oh yeah that was a good one.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The book I thought of right away was Lady or the Tiger which we had a copy of in the bathroom for years growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Gary was joking about what would happen if a real rapture occurred on a recent episode. I know recommendations are poison but the tv show “The Leftovers” deals with that exact situation. It has the usual modern day prestige drama garbage of over-the-top emotions and extremely on the nose song sampling but it handles well in showing how hosed up society would be if suddenly 1% of the world disappeared in an instant. You only see minor moments of the day of the rapture through character flashbacks.

It’s a great show but it comes with the usual caveats that the first season is only okay and there are annoying characters (especially some horrendous lovely teens being lovely teens) and plot lines that don’t go much of anywhere. It’s all fixed by the second season.