Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Guw posted:

I love you Gary and Kole. Legitimately excited to hear Gary's hate for Nioh.

I like Nioh a lot but am also ready for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm playing the poo poo out of some Nioh right now, and I don't know if I'll be too terribly crazy about it. But I probably won't beat it, and that renders everything moot so

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Yeah, as much as I happen to it dig it, I know it's got a lot of serious bullshit.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Guw posted:

I love you Gary and Kole. Legitimately excited to hear Gary's hate for Nioh.

I don't hate it, sadly. I just think it's mediocre. I had a solid ten hours of fun and then all of a sudden I would rather do anything else than play it. There's like 5 enemies, you fight them the same way, the story is ridiculously poorly told, in a way that it requires that you already know it to enjoy it. I would play Nioh 2 with an open mind, but I don't think I'll beat the first one. I'm going to jump back in before the episode though, so maybe it'll grab me.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Woffle posted:

I don't hate it, sadly. I just think it's mediocre. I had a solid ten hours of fun and then all of a sudden I would rather do anything else than play it. There's like 5 enemies, you fight them the same way, the story is ridiculously poorly told, in a way that it requires that you already know it to enjoy it. I would play Nioh 2 with an open mind, but I don't think I'll beat the first one. I'm going to jump back in before the episode though, so maybe it'll grab me.

Have to agree but the story is an airtight, multifaceted masterpiece.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vince MechMahon posted:

I like Nioh a lot but am also ready for this.

Same I think Nioh is my favorite Souls game not named Bloodborne but agree that it has a lot to call poo poo.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Guw posted:

Have to agree but the story is an airtight, multifaceted masterpiece.

Maybe it is, but I'd never know because of how it tells its story. It is consistently introducing characters with the assumption that they're a big deal, guys keep losing swords in caves, I never know why I'm in a level doing anything. The common thread in people I know who dig the story is that they are already deep in this stuff from history. If you're a novice, it does nothing for you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like that the historical version of the sword man from Kill Bill was in it.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

No, I have no idea what's happening in it. It was funny sometimes but I ultimately just ended up skipping it all - even the ending.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ghostbusters 2 is an excellent Abject Suffering episode. I especially liked the intro with the stained glass window

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Man I've said it before in another thread I think, but I love listening to your podcasts in my spare time. You guys just seem to come off as a couple dudes I'd want to split a beer with and chat about video games, which I think is what brings me back to your podcasts week after week.

Was a little sad to see BSC dying, but it sounds like the new format stuff for WOFF will make it worth it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Woffle posted:

Maybe it is, but I'd never know because of how it tells its story. It is consistently introducing characters with the assumption that they're a big deal, guys keep losing swords in caves, I never know why I'm in a level doing anything. The common thread in people I know who dig the story is that they are already deep in this stuff from history. If you're a novice, it does nothing for you.

I'm listening to Have No Mouth episode, and reached the part that explains your avatar's origin. Great episode.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'm listening to Have No Mouth episode, and reached the part that explains your avatar's origin. Great episode.

Kole made that for me :)

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I'm halfway through the extrasode on Let it Die, and you guys mentioned needing an acronym to avoid calling things "anime." I'd like to suggest Accentuated Norms Incorporating Manga's Expressionism. Which would abbreviate to ANIME.

edit: or maybe AHNIMAE, Accentuated Hyperexpressions Neutralizing Innate, Measured Emotions.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 25, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Or just don't compare to stuff you don't know anything about and then try to avoid criticism with insecure waffling

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

No thanks.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Or just don't compare to stuff you don't know anything about and then try to avoid criticism with insecure waffling

Has a point

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

:thumbsup:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I like anime. Some anime is good. I know exactly what they mean when they say something is "anime as gently caress." And so do you. So shut up.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Vince MechMahon posted:

I like anime. Some anime is good. I know exactly what they mean when they say something is "anime as gently caress." And so do you. So shut up.

I have a pretty distinct idea of anime as gently caress, but I feel like they overuse or use it oddly enough to the point where it becomes a useless non-comment.

I really didn't need a weird digression about Protoman's scarf in my life, is what I'm saying.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If you're listening to duckfeed for something OTHER than weird digressions, you're doing it wrong.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

EC posted:

If you're listening to duckfeed for something OTHER than weird digressions, you're doing it wrong.

There are good weird digressions and bad weird digressions. Sometimes you have Witcher 3 side quests and other times you have Ubisoft side quests

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Didn't realize there was an arbiter for which digressions are good and which are bad. Please, tell me more.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EC posted:

Didn't realize there was an arbiter for which digressions are good and which are bad. Please, tell me more.

Weirdly enough, this is The Arbiter from Halo's job.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

EC posted:

I especially like the tangents about what it's like living in Ohio, or their book recommendations. They have good taste.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

JFC, SA podcast threads somehow continue to be the worst.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I dunno I think I can win the New Yorker caption contest now

"Waiter there's a fly in my soup"

"Didn't realize there was an arbiter for which ingredients are good and which are bad. Please, tell me more."

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Pound for pound, this is by far the most exhausting "issue" we've dealt with on the network. It's the same conversation over and over again. We've made it very clear that we're not going to change, so it's hard to understand why it's ever brought up in places like this. At this point, I couldn't care less about anime in general: when we talk about that medium with any anxiety at all, it's because we know that someone who listened to an episode four years ago has already decided we've made a personal affront to them. The topic and the response are linked inextricably.

"Shut up and stick to..." or "Just stay away from..." aren't pieces of feedback we've ever acted on. When things come up on the shows, it's happened naturally. We aren't forcing it and we aren't trying to piss people off. Just like everything else, the conversation leads there (in this case, we were speaking directly to several comments about Let It Die's aesthetic).

I'm breaking our non-response policy by saying this here, but it's frustrating how strong and how often people respond to our mild indifference to a thing they like.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Edit: Eh, I don't actually have a strong feeling either way.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 31, 2017

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
I think if you guys are going to run a games club podcast as your primary show, you need to find a more positive less adversarial way to communicate with your audience, and probably a better way to take criticism and feedback

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I appreciate the input. It's this one topic that brings out the worst in me, personally. The vast majority of the interaction we get is constructive and positive, and not adversarial even if it is challenging.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I'm listening to the backlogs of Abject Suffering since I recently found the network and the Captain Skyhawk tangent on the potential disaster situations of a hot air balloon is an all time great. Same for the intense setup for Kole's food paranoia combined with Gary's heavy sass from this week, that had me cracking up hard. Really loving the content.

Also, Days of Future Cast is a real treat!

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Song For The Deaf posted:

I appreciate the input. It's this one topic that brings out the worst in me, personally. The vast majority of the interaction we get is constructive and positive, and not adversarial even if it is challenging.

I think the burger situation really has you on edge, man.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Whoolighams posted:

I'm listening to the backlogs of Abject Suffering since I recently found the network and the Captain Skyhawk tangent on the potential disaster situations of a hot air balloon is an all time great. Same for the intense setup for Kole's food paranoia combined with Gary's heavy sass from this week, that had me cracking up hard. Really loving the content.

Also, Days of Future Cast is a real treat!

Hahaha the food paranoia tangent was excellent. I especially liked Kole's shame in becoming a pizza ordering regular who is gifted coupons.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

"Don't make comparisons to anime"
"Don't be ambivalent to anime"
"Don't bring up anime"
"Go on the type of tangents I like, not the other kind"

are all terrible pieces of feedback. We're a small fish in a small pond, as far as podcasting, but something I'm not sure people get is that we hear conflicting feedback. Everything you tell us is lovely, someone else has told us they like. The tangents that bore some, delight others. When we describe things as "anime," there are people who know exactly what we mean by that and aren't up in arms to defend the honor of their medium. Making a project doesn't mean acting on all feedback, it means listening to all feedback and deciding what you want to act on. Anyone who has ever taken a creative writing class will tell you that probably 1/3 or so of the feedback you receive is not really valuable.

The reason why this issue specifically pisses me off is it's been heard. We heard it, we considered it, we rejected it and we explained why. We've talked about it many, many times over. And we were really open about it. So, it becomes nagging. People who won't just stop listening (which would honestly be fine. I don't listen to things I don't enjoy), and want to somehow sand away all the flaws they perceive through needling, repetitive feedback.

It probably seems like there are legions of people demanding we change our stances on anime, but there aren't. It's just annoying, so we talk about it, so it seems like a bigger problem than it is. The correct action would be to ignore it, but we're human and this board is a direct line to us, so that can be difficult. I'm trying to get better about ignoring it, but it's like someone kicking the back of your chair on a flight.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
edit: Wrong thread

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 1, 2017

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Woffle posted:

"Don't make comparisons to anime"
"Don't be ambivalent to anime"
"Don't bring up anime"
"Go on the type of tangents I like, not the other kind"

are all terrible pieces of feedback. We're a small fish in a small pond, as far as podcasting, but something I'm not sure people get is that we hear conflicting feedback. Everything you tell us is lovely, someone else has told us they like. The tangents that bore some, delight others. When we describe things as "anime," there are people who know exactly what we mean by that and aren't up in arms to defend the honor of their medium. Making a project doesn't mean acting on all feedback, it means listening to all feedback and deciding what you want to act on. Anyone who has ever taken a creative writing class will tell you that probably 1/3 or so of the feedback you receive is not really valuable.

The reason why this issue specifically pisses me off is it's been heard. We heard it, we considered it, we rejected it and we explained why. We've talked about it many, many times over. And we were really open about it. So, it becomes nagging. People who won't just stop listening (which would honestly be fine. I don't listen to things I don't enjoy), and want to somehow sand away all the flaws they perceive through needling, repetitive feedback.

It probably seems like there are legions of people demanding we change our stances on anime, but there aren't. It's just annoying, so we talk about it, so it seems like a bigger problem than it is. The correct action would be to ignore it, but we're human and this board is a direct line to us, so that can be difficult. I'm trying to get better about ignoring it, but it's like someone kicking the back of your chair on a flight.

https://youtu.be/zB4I68XVPzQ

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gary could probably get behind it being time for the Jedi to end.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Look goons just know exactly what they want, and if you don't want the same things, that's fine! but also, gently caress you and you're wrong

Kole and Gary did a whole series of episodes on Berserk and Junji Ito and have passingly mentioned Akira and Ghibli in positive terms, I think their anime opinions are probably more respectable than most avowed fans of anime (so says I, an avowed fan of anime)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Sorry my dudes but that Nioh episode is actually not listenable.