Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Abject Suffering and Teenage Dirtbags are the best shows on the network. I really miss TD.

(pssst check the feed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Woffle posted:

(pssst check the feed)

Oh poo poo oh gently caress oh poo poo how did I miss that this fuckin rules.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Listening to the latest WOFF Dispatch and Gary made a comment to the effect of a game having no actual happy ending, just the happiest possible within the context of the game. Hollow Knight is a great example of this. The "bad" ending has the player character accomplishing what they set out to do at the start of the game, but along the way you've come to understand that this solution may not be as permanent as initially advertised (but no one ever says outright that it's a failed solution). Meanwhile the "good" ending comes at a much greater personal cost to the player character and there's a small chance that it actually dooms the world, but it is a permanent fix to the issue and breaks the cycle that brought you into the story in the first place.

Also you should definitely go back and play Hollow Knight again :colbert:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh my god, I just spent 15 minutes listening to Gary and Kole talk about DUSK this evening, wondering why they were covering and heaping praise on a game developed by alt-right anti-lgbt assholes. It took a couple of minutes of googling to realise that I was thinking of the completely separate 90s throwback FPS Ion Fury released literally weeks apart.

I can't imagine I'm the only one who thought that they were the same game and holy moly, that mess must have hosed over DUSK in terms of sales.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
DUSK came out in 2018, well before any of the Ion Fury controversy. IF was just in early access for awhile (used to be called Ion Maiden before the Iron Maiden lawyers got involved) and we didn't know about any of the dev's bullshit until after the official launch. So DUSK did fine and also who could confuse the Quake throwback game with the Duke Nukem throwback game??

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Beartaco posted:

a game developed by alt-right anti-lgbt assholes.

If you think a single person putting a single instance of the f-word means everyone involved is an alt-right anti-lgbt rear end in a top hat I have bad news about the forum you are currently posting on and also yourself.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sleeveless posted:

If you think a single person putting a single instance of the f-word means everyone involved is an alt-right anti-lgbt rear end in a top hat I have bad news about the forum you are currently posting on and also yourself.

I AM TRULY ONE OF THE WORST POSTERS ON THIS SITE. LOOK UPON THIS GUY MANN REREG AND DESPAIR.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
tfw you're so woke you deadname someone to try and own them

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Hmmm it's almost like there's way more lovely stuff in that game than the one hidden thing, and instead of removing it and apologizing they doubled down on it and became alt right chud folk heroes.

gently caress off, idiot.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Went and looked up Dusk on Steam after the intro to the most recent WOFF and boy does it have an aesthetic.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

C-Euro posted:

Went and looked up Dusk on Steam after the intro to the most recent WOFF and boy does it have an aesthetic.

Also check out Amid Evil, it's basically Dusk if it was more inspired by Heretic / Hexen. They're both really good and better than you expect from 'retro FPS.'

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
That Gears Pop! episode was so good!

On the topic of witch media in the latest AS, Gary if you're reading this, I'd recommend checking out the Sabrina reboot on Netflix. It marries the two witch genres of teen empowerment fantasy with ridiculously over the top grim dark horror. Basically, they're all satanists and the first season is about Sabrina refusing to spill her blood and sign her soul over to the goat headed devil.

It's absurd and I really enjoyed seeing what on earth they'd do next to my beloved childhood sitcom.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Do I need to do anything special to get a Slack invite? I signed up ($5) last month, but I've never used Patreon before so I dunno if I need to fill out a form or something first.

Also I literally fistpumped when I saw the playtime for the Shadowrun episode.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The most recent batch of invitations went out by email last Friday. Search your spam folder. If it’s not there, message us on Patreon with your preferred email address and I’ll invite you.

Sorry about the hassle.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I decided to give Dusk ago after listening to the podcast. I had a bunch of fun with the first episode, then I got to the screaming invisible monsters and I have never alt-f4ed faster in my life.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Watched TNG’s Chain Of Command episode, couldn’t place actor who was Picard’s interrogator then realized holy cow it’s Jon Irenicus

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Watched TNG’s Chain Of Command episode, couldn’t place actor who was Picard’s interrogator then realized holy cow it’s Jon Irenicus

David Warner's filmography is almost as daunting as Frank Welker's, so it's not that surprising. He was also in the original Fallout with a ton of other big boy actors doing voice stuff iirc

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I didn't know a lot about Atari going into the most recent WOFF episode, so that was a hell of a primer.

Also I can't believe you guys haven't done Ocarina of Time yet.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I didn't know a lot about Atari going into the most recent WOFF episode, so that was a hell of a primer.

Also I can't believe you guys haven't done Ocarina of Time yet.

It's one of my least favorite zelda games but we felt like we had to do it to open up the possibility of doing other zelda games, since the series basically just kept doing that game over and over for a decade or so. It's a good game, but I don't think it's a great game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Woffle posted:

It's one of my least favorite zelda games but we felt like we had to do it to open up the possibility of doing other zelda games, since the series basically just kept doing that game over and over for a decade or so. It's a good game, but I don't think it's a great game.

For sure, it's not my favorite Zelda by any means either. It just seems like one that you would have already covered on the grounds of "this is an Important Work and merits discussion based on its place in gaming canon, if nothing else".

Also the next Zelda game(s) you cover should be a Link to the Past + Link Between Worlds double feature.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I played through OoT when it came out and had a wonderful time, but haven’t gone back. Link’s Awakening is my favorite, the musical instruments were so charming.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

We've done Link to the Past! But I would love to do Link Between Worlds and Link's Awakening at some point (and Majora's Mask).

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
The latest AS is only further proof there should be a weekly Jawin' About Junkfood network show do it Gary and Cole you cowards

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I was in a Shoprite in the cereal isle while they were talking about Captain Crunch and it took all of my willpower to not grab a box of Oops All Berries.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GameStop trade in value for Battlefield 1 is 55 cents, just like WWE Warzone 64 when Kole worked there.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Last week's xcom episode made me start another play through of Xcom 2 and man does that game keep giving. Every Time I go back to it there's always a new handful of cool mods that add or change things in cool ways. Just hundreds of mods that adds new enemies, classes, weapons, and mechanics.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

DrManiac posted:

Last week's xcom episode made me start another play through of Xcom 2 and man does that game keep giving. Every Time I go back to it there's always a new handful of cool mods that add or change things in cool ways. Just hundreds of mods that adds new enemies, classes, weapons, and mechanics.

Same. Screw you Kole and Gary, I have other games to play! (jk love you guys)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
No one has posted here about it, but pay attention the Duckfeed twitch this weekend, the boys are doing a fund raiser for Bernie Sanders.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hell yeah. Do Twitch Prime subs count as donations? I wanna funnel my Bezos dollars to the big man.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Lester Shy posted:

Hell yeah. Do Twitch Prime subs count as donations? I wanna funnel my Bezos dollars to the big man.

I know they do when we do Duckstream, so without consulting Kole I would say yes, but Kole will know for sure.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Yeah, I’ll donate any money we get through subs and cheers during that weekend. All other donations will go through the ActBlue portal.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Been laid up recovering from a surgery so I'm playing through Bloodborne again and listening to the Bonfire Side Chats afterwards. Listening to Gary talk about how excited he is for Dark Souls 3 is pretty lol.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I completely missed you guys doing a Yakuza cast a few years ago!

Sidenote: i had no idea what wizardy you guys do with duckfeed that lets me view the site at work but its very much appreciated

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Genuine question, what's the legality of donating to such a stream from outside the US?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I believe that’s super illegal. The payment processor, ActBlue, doesn’t let you donate if you’re not a citizen or permanent resident.

And it’s not possible for me to say “give at this personal donation account and I will donate it for you”, because that breaks straw donor regulations (that’s something that got Paul Manafort, Dinesh DeSouza, and Lev Parnas in trouble).

I’d love to not turn money away, but I don’t want to get destroyed by the FEC.

Edit: The exception seems to be if you’re a US citizen who currently lives abroad. See this page for info https://support.actblue.com/donors/contributions/im-a-u-s-citizen-living-abroad-how-can-i-donate/

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
That's what I thought, but would donating the proceeds from subs and bits not count as straw donations?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I hadn’t thought of that and I honestly have no idea, and Google is not helping me. My instinct is to side with caution and not donate Twitch proceeds. I believe in the cause, but not enough to go to jail for Twitch crimes.

The best way for people abroad to help would be to signal boost on social media.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
You could always donate to a local cause if you’d still like give your money to better the world.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Also true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Will definitely point my American (and largely Bernie loving) friends your way!