Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

How on Earth does anyone know Adam West if not from batman? Family guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
As a Child of Nite I have a fondness for The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Bob Newhart Show, and The Mary Tyler Moore Show, even though the last two are from the early 70s.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Get Smart and Hogans Heroes were Saturday morning staples growing up but not sure if they'd be worth watching brand new these days.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
shout out to The Prisoner

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

JollyBoyJohn posted:

shout out to The Prisoner

Ooh that’s another good one.

Lol judging by Gary’s less than complimentary tweets about MGS5 that’s gonna be a spicy episode.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GaryBuh/status/1562260206259560451

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MGS5 doesn't exist. I assume they mean MGSV

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Yeah I was looking forward to those eps when they were announced but not so much whiny mode Gary for a double ep

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I liked MGS5 but stopped at the pivot point which is apparently the start of the "postgame"

one of the last missions has a jeep ride where there's two minutes that the characters don't say anything while stirring music plays and the jeep continues to drive through unremarkable scenery

it felt so janky it was like my soul left my body a little bit. a remarkable experience.

Anyway, I would like to hear them complain about that part on the podcast.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was cinematic, you just don't understand art

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Whoolighams posted:

Yeah I was looking forward to those eps when they were announced but not so much whiny mode Gary for a double ep

iirc he's mentioned that mgsv is his favorite one so I think it'll be a fun back and forth of how much he likes the gameplay while hating the story/Kojima.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

I liked MGS5 but stopped at the pivot point which is apparently the start of the "postgame"

one of the last missions has a jeep ride where there's two minutes that the characters don't say anything while stirring music plays and the jeep continues to drive through unremarkable scenery

it felt so janky it was like my soul left my body a little bit. a remarkable experience.

Anyway, I would like to hear them complain about that part on the podcast.

Yeah the jeep scene didn't work probably because Skull Face was so underdeveloped as a villain. I don't even remember what his deal was or what he was trying to accomplish. Contrast that with the ladder climb in MGS3 that worked well and is one of the most memorable scenes in the series.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I don't know why but Kojima Bullshit just works for me in a way that 99% of other video game nonsense doesn't.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Totally fine that people enjoy Kojima, but I am so much happier with his games now that I ignore and skip story. Thoroughly enjoying my 2nd attempt at Death Stranding, now that I know to skip 90% of cutscenes and dialogue. I look forward to replaying MGSV with the same approach.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Man I'm okay with them not liking Bugsnax, but they didn't even bother to do all the main missions let alone the DLC. They didn't even do a boss fight! The game's only 10 hours long and they still mainlined it completely.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gary’s story from the major league eating ep about being bored enough to play Stratego alone then eat a box of ice cream drumsticks was relatable. I guess more the games part, although I did learn Jenga sets make fantastic dominoes.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 9, 2022

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

Beartaco posted:

Man I'm okay with them not liking Bugsnax, but they didn't even bother to do all the main missions let alone the DLC. They didn't even do a boss fight! The game's only 10 hours long and they still mainlined it completely.

Coming across as defensive is bad form, but by way of explanation (for myself): I did what the game told me to do and had a guide on hand, referencing the headers to make sure I didn’t miss anything…. But it was either incomplete or I didn’t properly use it. Once a Grumpus was rescued I moved on because I wanted to see the next area and figure out how to catch the next creature. I didn’t make a habit of talking to people in town because the game didn’t train me to believe that would lead to anything substantial or additive.

That’s how I ended up with the playthrough I got. In the moment it didn’t feel like rushing, I was focused on seeing new stuff and taking notes. The last thing I want is to give the impression of some kind of neglect.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I did a play along of bugsnax, and don't worry the bosses were absolute drags in terms of gameplay. All the fiddlyness of a really awkward snax catch, but more so and requiring you to repeat it several time. The sushi dragon especially. Cute names and graphics though, I'll give them that. If you have a quick look at them on YouTube you get a much better experience than actually fighting them.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

iirc he's mentioned that mgsv is his favorite one so I think it'll be a fun back and forth of how much he likes the gameplay while hating the story/Kojima.

Lol right out of the gate comparing the idea of playing more MGS to going through Kingdom Hearts

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Man, that was rough going listening to the MGS5 episodes. The story is barely there, but that's almost all that got talked about. I wish they had moved on and talked about what you could do in the game a bit more. I'm hoping the Halloween episodes are more fun than this.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I listened to the latest Dispatch after not tuning into WOFF for about five years and while it was surprising how blunt Gary is towards his dislike for Kojima, it seems in line with what Gary's been saying about Kojima for what I know of the podcast. It was harsh but refreshing because I think a lot of people in the gaming community recognize that Kojima has problems but they're reluctant to criticize him for a myriad of reasons. The guy is responsible for some of the earliest examples of "Video Games As Art", maybe that's why people are reluctant to criticize him out of reverence, but MGS4 going forward is when his limits became apparent.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Flubby posted:

Man, that was rough going listening to the MGS5 episodes. The story is barely there, but that's almost all that got talked about. I wish they had moved on and talked about what you could do in the game a bit more. I'm hoping the Halloween episodes are more fun than this.

I mean, it was a long set of episodes and they spent like 2-3 hours on gameplay, and the rest on story, I thought they were great episodes (although the story stuff didn't bother me because I love the playground and mastering missions). The lads really dislike 'score attacks' in most games like this (see Hitman for example) so a big part of the fun most people had with MGS V isn't for them, which is 100% understandable.

Also, some neat toys and mechanics are pretty hidden and will require you to spend a long time loving around, reading wikis/watching videos/grinding the basebuilding part, which they obviously touched upon but didn't spend ages with.

i don't wanna play white knight for G&K and I don't wanna disparage your opinion ofc so apologies if it comes across that way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thank you Kole for shouting out Black House during the most recent Dispatch, I was thinking to myself "should they just do a Black House adaptation instead?" right as you said it. V spooky :spooky:

From the same episode, I'd like to nominate "We need to talk about Ness's privilege" for a future thread title change.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

I listened to the latest Dispatch after not tuning into WOFF for about five years and while it was surprising how blunt Gary is towards his dislike for Kojima, it seems in line with what Gary's been saying about Kojima for what I know of the podcast. It was harsh but refreshing because I think a lot of people in the gaming community recognize that Kojima has problems but they're reluctant to criticize him for a myriad of reasons. The guy is responsible for some of the earliest examples of "Video Games As Art", maybe that's why people are reluctant to criticize him out of reverence, but MGS4 going forward is when his limits became apparent.

Yeah agreed, I was surprised with his harshness but thought he defended his points well especially regarding how Kojima portrays women.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I always laugh at bad recorder versions of themes so the bad Mario music at the end of the trailer reaction recording had me dying as I was doing dishes.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It really says something about Devotion that I played it more than a year ago but the opening notes of Lady on the Pier still made me panic a bit.

Red Candle is currently working on a new game, a 2D Sekiro-like with a beautiful aesthetic called Nine Sols.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Having actually listened to the episode, it is weird how little they talk about gameplay in comparison to the plot. Ah well. Gary put it very well when he said that Kojima might be the 'elder statesman' of good video game writing but he's fallen behind compared to game writing since the mid-aughts.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think they acknowledge that the game is uniquely badly suited to WoFF, since it's primary success is gameplay and WoFF focuses a lot on narrative and artistry. To really give PP it's due you'd need to have a group of people recollecting the things they pulled off in the playground with the tools, and largely avoid the story.

I guess the modern hitman games are a window into how a playground style game could have looked if it had a better written story.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm going to have so much Schadenfreude whenever WOFF get round to Death Stranding

Edit: and now that I think about it, Nier Automata too

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm going to have so much Schadenfreude whenever WOFF get round to Death Stranding

Edit: and now that I think about it, Nier Automata too

Willing to bet neither one of those ever happen.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

EC posted:

Willing to bet neither one of those ever happen.

I'd be really quite disappointed if they never covered those games out of some weird popular hangover spite

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Sounded like Gary is completely done with Kojima games after MGSV, so wouldn't be surprised if they never do Death Stranding. It's not really about avoiding popular games, just that creator in particular.

I think they're even planning to do Nier: Automata one day, or are at least leaving open the possibility.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Death Stranding is out of the question for the foreseeable. And there’s not really an appetite for N:A.

I would like to stream Death Stranding at some point. But I like that game, and know it well enough that there’s not much to be gained by dragging G along.

Not everything is right for the show, or right for the both of us, and that’s fine.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'd be really quite disappointed if they never covered those games out of some weird popular hangover spite

Patreon dot com slash duckfeed tv

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't think a Death Stranding episode would provide a lot of new text on what the WOFF boys think about Kojima. In fact, the storytelling of Death Stranding is very similar to MGSV and the weird gameplay/story disconnect is similar to MGSV too. I know a few people that liked DS for its gameplay and got lost in its surreal, apocalyptic atmosphere while disliking the explicit narrative. If WOFF did an episode on it, it would like follow the same flow as their MGSV one.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

EC posted:

Patreon dot com slash duckfeed tv

hey bro ive held out hope for a decade that they will cover Thief 1/Thief 2 and thats way higher up my list than Nier or DS lol

plus, this is totally tangential to anything but I've just cancelled all my subs/recurring charges including WOFF as things are really starting to go south in the UK

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 16, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thief 3 being the only one they've covered is wild

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

JollyBoyJohn posted:

hey bro ive held out hope for a decade that they will cover Thief 1/Thief 2 and thats way higher up my list than Nier or DS lol

My point bro was that there's avenues for people to ask them to cover games, and that if they don't pick those games outside of those avenues, then it's because they don't want to cover them, not "some weird popular hangover spite".

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Listening to the latest episode on Strangeland and when did they get rid of skits? Pretty sure since I last listened to them they were still doing skits. I never liked them much because I didn't find them funny but now that they're gone I feel lost.

It's very familiar territory otherwise, now that I'm listening again. In fact, it's feels like there are not a lot of new threads to pick up. Gary mentioned a LucasArts game and I was like, "I wonder if Gary is going to mention how he doesn't think Tim Schaefer is a good game designer" and then he did.

And as someone who's just started to watch Breaking Bad for the first time, it's frustrating that the podcast is spoilery but I get because they'd likely have a richer discussion if they could mention things later on.

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 19, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

DoubleCakes posted:

Listening to the latest episode on Strangeland and when did they get rid of skits? Pretty sure since I last listened to them they were still doing skits. I never liked them much because I didn't find them funny but now that they're gone I feel lost.

It was a good few years ago, I recall them saying in dispatch that they got a surprising amount of negative reaction from them, that's a bit lovely but I do have to echo the sentiment that every skit felt like this bizarre self referential in joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah it’s been a few years since skits went away? Honestly don’t miss them as while some were fun others didn’t really hit. Although I do appreciate the game selection skits from each Abject Suffering, especially when Kole gets horrified and breaks character.

For Breaking Bad I think they were upfront about it having spoilers as it’s been out for so long? Understood that’s not ideal if you’re watching now but would really limit discussion if they had to self-censor later season plots. I remember the commentary on Who Shot Mr Burns part 1 not being allowed to mention the culprit and it felt silly as c’mon I bought the DVDs and am listening to the commentary I probably know who did it.