Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

One of my favorite podcast networks is Duckfeed.tv. This is a comedy podcast network primarily focused on retro video games, but they also put out content on music and books. I've enjoyed their programs for years as they are consistently hilarious and informative and genuinely love what they cover.

The tone of the podcasts tend to be relaxed and natural, without the hosts trying to scream about bad games or overuse memes. It is an excellent choice for casual car listening podcasts. They have a large number of shows, including some that have been discontinued. The primary hosts are Gary Butterfield and Kole Ross.

Their shows:

Watch Out for Fireballs

Their biggest show is Watch Out for Fireballs. This is a retro gaming podcast where Kole and Gary go in depth on a game. It is a nice mix of big name releases, such as Mega Man 2 & 3 or Resident Evil 4, and more obscure titles like Shadowrun (SNES) or E.V.O. Big titles such as Fallout or Deus Ex get multi-part episodes.

It is one of my favorites as if I already like the game is a fine nostalgia trip (especially the music inclusions), and if I haven't played the game they do a good job explaining everything. Both hosts take detailed notes while playing and present them in a coherent narrative so it is easy to follow along. Each episode opens with a short comedy sketch about the game which I enjoy, but admittedly can be a little hit or miss in the early episodes.

After an episode is released, they put out an "Extrasode" that includes listener e-mails. It is a neat way to get feedback and listener opinions.

Episode recommendations: Maniac Mansion (including an interview with Ron Gilbert!), Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within, Deus Ex, Earthbound.

Abject Suffering

My second favorite show on the network. They play a bad game and discuss it. Very prone to delightful tangents. I'd recommend starting with episode 7: Home Improvement, that's when they got the format figured out and began a good run on delightful content.

Episode recommendations: A Week of Garfield, Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue, Home Improvement, Zoo Race, Angel Quiz.

Monster in My Podcast

Gary and Kole are going through the D&D monster manual and riffing on the entries. Each episode is only about five minutes so it is fun for bingeing, especially when the have eight entries in a row about giants and get mad. They are a 120 episodes in and only up to the H's.

Episode recommendations: Just start from the beginning, (Reverend Lovejoy voice) it's all good.

Bonfireside Chat

This is one of the largest shows on the network audience wise and goes in-depth on the Dark Souls series. I've barely touched those games so I haven't listened much, but I've heard good things. They had a few horror and book reviews in this feed and those were great.

Check It Out Comrade

Gary and Nick discuss indie games. It's not as in-depth as Watch Out for Fireballs or comedy focused as Abject Suffering, but still pretty good. Good way to get info about an indie game to find out if it is worth playing.

Radio Free Midworld

Kole leads a book discussion of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. This is super in-depth, I've only listened to the first few episodes but it is well-constructed and a recommend for King fans.

Other shows on the network include The Level (about the game industry), File Under Water (about R.E.M.), Days of Future Cast (about the old X-Men cartoon), and an assortment of others. Check out all their shows at duckfeed.tv, or on your podcast app of choice.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

Teenage Dirtbags is extremely good, you gotta get in on that

Could you recommend a good intro episode?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Also angel quiz and zoo race aren't in the recommended abject suffering episode list which they totally should be.

Holy cow how did I forget Zoo Race and Angel Quiz? Good catch, I got those added.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That's honestly kinda heartwarming in a weird way.

Yeah Kole and Gary are great at the personable moments like that.

I started listening to File Under Water, it is excellent and now I have to track down R.E.M. on Spotify. So far it is like a less star studded but more focused U Talking U2 to Me.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I like the frequent reminders that I am exactly in the audience demographic for Duckfeed whenever they make a reference to a specific Dril tweet, Achewood comic, or Wolf in White Van.

Hoping for more tangents about living in Ohio or Portland. Their stories are surprising interesting.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If anyone doesn't listen to MIMP, you owe it to yourself to at least listen to the one where Gary discovers the existence of star-nosed moles on air http://www.monsterinmypodcast.com/21

Haha nice! I hope they end up doing Shadowrun creatures for season 2 of the show.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

WOFF has been on a great run lately. The Nintendo Power episode was exceptional, I especially liked their mention of the AV club article on being a game counselor: http://www.avclub.com/article/what-was-it-be-nintendo-game-play-counselor-224289

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Xenolalia posted:

I wish someone would make a supercut of every time Kole worryingly starts yelling "Gary... Gary, Gary!"

Haha yeah, one of my favorite Kole moments was during Barbie's horse adventures. It was something like "you broke me Gary."

I've never listened to Teenage Dirtbags, what's a good intro episode?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

There is no bad Teenage Dirtbags episode. Start at the start for maximum in jokes.

Will do! Man, it's insane just how much stuff is on the network. I've listened to hundreds of hours, and I'm probably not even at 50% as I haven't heard any Level, Bonfireside, or Darn Ross Kids.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

Rors is a sassy boy who suffered from us getting better mics. I miss him.

Have you considered a one shot episode with Mackey, "Tales from GameStop?" Those are always amusing when they pop up on Retronauts or Abject Suffering, like how WWF War Zone was so worthless it was a $1 trade in.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

rumble in the bunghole posted:

The Super Princess Peach woff is great.

still laughing at 'I don't know who fudge is but what you do on sundays is none of my business'

Hahaha yeah it's a good ep. I liked the tangent about Gary opening an Anti-DMV, and Kole's plan to live in a monastery.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The AS on Smart Ball is a delight. It's always a treat to dig into Gamefaqs gold.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Ghostbusters 2 is an excellent Abject Suffering episode. I especially liked the intro with the stained glass window

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Woffle posted:

Maybe it is, but I'd never know because of how it tells its story. It is consistently introducing characters with the assumption that they're a big deal, guys keep losing swords in caves, I never know why I'm in a level doing anything. The common thread in people I know who dig the story is that they are already deep in this stuff from history. If you're a novice, it does nothing for you.

I'm listening to Have No Mouth episode, and reached the part that explains your avatar's origin. Great episode.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

EC posted:

If you're listening to duckfeed for something OTHER than weird digressions, you're doing it wrong.

I especially like the tangents about what it's like living in Ohio, or their book recommendations. They have good taste.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Whoolighams posted:

I'm listening to the backlogs of Abject Suffering since I recently found the network and the Captain Skyhawk tangent on the potential disaster situations of a hot air balloon is an all time great. Same for the intense setup for Kole's food paranoia combined with Gary's heavy sass from this week, that had me cracking up hard. Really loving the content.

Also, Days of Future Cast is a real treat!

Hahaha the food paranoia tangent was excellent. I especially liked Kole's shame in becoming a pizza ordering regular who is gifted coupons.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Yakuza is a darn good WOFF. Fun to get an open world game in the mix.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GNU Order posted:

The bizarre rambling chirps of the R Zone theme make me laugh every time, I love it

Haha yeah, those episodes are always a treat. SSX Tricky is a good ep so far, fun when they cover sports games outside the usual genres. Mutant League Football or Blood Bowl might be interesting topics. Maybe even a Madden, just for the tangents.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GNU Order posted:

Even in the alt-sports games space it's kinda hard to find something that has an interesting enough level/character/sound/visual design and mechanics that make it worth talking about, above and beyond the sport it's from.

Most sports have a strict enough rule set that discussions about a game can kinda start and end there. A game I love way more than I should is Backbreaker, and there's not much to say about it other than "Hey you know football? Well they used the Euphoria engine so the movement feels and looks good and also the players ragdoll when tackled instead of going into precanned animations"

Tricky is definitely the Woffiest sports game.

That's true rule sets don't change much from year to year, but I think sports games do have significant importance in gaming history that tends to be overlooked by podcasts such as Retronauts and Duckfeed. The older sports games had such wonderful goofiness like Sega compressing John Madden voice clips onto a cart, playing hockey games for the fighting, or trying to figure out how point systems work in boxing.

The only sports that seems to get coverage is wrestling games, but stuff like NBA Jam rivaled Street Fighter in popularity. Overall the game selection on the network is good, but throwing in a football manager or NFL Blitz would offer lots of new ground for discussion.

In my opinion, WOFF worthy sports games could include:
-NBA Jam
-Super Punch Out
-Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run
-Blitz

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 5, 2017

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The MGS2 WOFF is great. I laughed when Kole explained how he would throw Raiden to a watery grave rather than deal with alerts.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

We recorded the Bloodlines episode before we understood what the ideal pace for that kind of game would be. It's way too quick, and if we did it today that would be a two-parter for sure.

It was still a pretty good episode. Man, I remember getting that game for pennies in a Steam sale and being baffled that they were allowed to sell something that didn't work without mods.

Monster in My Podcast has been killing it lately.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Heartbeat City pilot is available. Another good show where Kole and Gary discuss relationship questions from callers. An enjoyable listen and they stay on topic. Hoping we get more episodes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Batman month has been good stuff so far. I appreciate Gary and Kole correctly identifying Arkham City as the best of the series. Although I'm confused by Gary preferring Origins over Arkham Knight. Yeah, the Batmobile got old but at least it was a polished game instead of a rushed cash-in (although Origins multiplayer was delightful with a good group).

One thing I hope they mention is how much better Asylum and City are on hard mode. The extra challenge adds a lot of tension to fights, plus it means more stages to bosses like Mr. Freeze and Ra Al Ghul. I could've done without the five minute rant against the chattering teeth in Asylum. Tap the R button a few times and they're gone, what's the problem?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Weird Sandwich posted:

I feel like Origins is a bit underrated. Sure it was just more of the same, but it was more of the same mostly good things. Maybe I just enjoyed it more because I played it like 3 years after City so there was more of a break between.

Arkham Knight however, was like a solid third comprised of underwhelming batmobile sections. Which also had the effect of making the Riddler make even less sense if that was possible. Also everything to do with the Arkham Knight himself was disappointing, even the fight against Deathstroke in Arkham Origins was a better attempt gameplay wise at portraying an equal rival to Batman.

Yeah, those are good points. I thought Asylum and City were outstanding, but losing Dini as a writer wrecked their storytelling. It was frustrating to see Joker be the main villain for all four games.

The Deathstroke fight was the highlight of Origins. Dunno what they were thinking stuffing him in a tank for Knight.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Get John from the Abject Suffering trucking episode back more often, he was delightful and added a lot to a great episode

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Kole losing composure from laughter is a precious gift. Gary earned it with the Hollandaise Inn joke during the Wetrix abject Suffering.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

Realtalk: Going on Abject Suffering is fun as hell. Do that if you can afford the tier.

Haha good work. That’s a solid episode.

The Abject Suffering episode on Lost has the most horrifying Gary tangent to date. Made me double down on daily flossing so I do not dishonor a Target.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Does anyone remember the Abject Suffering where they extensively discuss Westworld? I skipped as I hadn’t seen the show yet but now I’d like to listen.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It’s 177: Joe and Mac

Thanks!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Kitty nooooo

Dang that’s sad. We have an elderly tuna butt and I’m dreading when she starts acting weird.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Monster In My Podcast hitting Shadowrun has been a joy. Although we still haven’t topped Kole yelling at Gary for “Muck Finn.”

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

fingers crossed for dark sun

I would also like Dark Sun. Dug the cannibal halfling cameo in Baldur’s Gate 2.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I got a sensible chuckle from a Monster in My Podcast when Gary and Kole agree it would be best to pause for 130 hours for Kole to play through the Baldur’s Gate series.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Boy and His Blob exquisite suffering is gold. Kole losing it when Gary suggests turning a turtle into an USB drive is top shelf.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

In Monster in My Podcast #313, when Gary calls out internet lawyers trying to sound clever by claiming Die Hard is a Christmas movie and a hotdog is a sandwich, was he putting Judge John Hodgman on blast?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Woffle posted:

No, not specifically. There is a certain sort of clever-clever internet pedant that I am really annoyed by though.

I bring it up in the upcoming Sims 3 episode, but national treasure John Mulaney has a bit where he compares people to the kid who, at the sleepover, keeps saying "Don't you mean yesterday? It's technically tomorrow because it's after midnight."

I got no time for that poo poo.

Hodgman can be entertaining with a good case but can have some bizarre rulings. I didn’t support his judgment that anyone who keeps a botched Amazon order is a dirty Bezos wronging thief. Buy VacationLand now through his Amazon affliliate link.

Yeah Mulaney is fantastic. His closing bit about meeting Clinton is pure gold.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 29, 2018

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Wrestlepig posted:

the newest abject suffering on the early feed might be the best ever.

Shaq fu or Die Hard? Is the early feed included in the $10 level? I may have missed it

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Wrestlepig posted:

It was the die hard one, so the newest one out on the regular feed. Early access is on the 5 dollar level

Gotcha, I just needed to read the Patreon notes, I’m set up on the early access feed now. Nice, Sims 3. Should be good.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Monster in My Podcast #344 has top notch tangents. I was cracking up about sending Lawrence the Saltwater Serpent into battle to mildly inconvenience the Germans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

bony tony posted:

I think MIMP might be my favorite show, because I get to learn about cool monsters and hear awful puns at the same time.

Haha yeah it’s my top show at the moment. Just listened to #348 on Snow Snakes where Gary put trucker lingo and culture on blast.