Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You guys should add chapter marks (or at least timecodes in the show notes) to The Level: I don't really enjoy listening to the personal talk, but I do like the games talk. Would be great to be able to skip the fluff.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chapter marks don't change anything about the podcast, they just allow people that don't care about the personal parts to skip them.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 23, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Good recommendations. Does anybody know some podcasts focused on old PC games?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Reviewers forced to play through a game in a limited amount of time will always believe any more substantial game to be too long. These things stop being fun when you're rushing through them for work.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes. Pocket Casts is good, for example. But maybe Duckfeed has plans for offering their Premium feed through Spotify as well?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EC posted:

Almost definitely not, Spotify gives no fucks about podcasts that don't do insane numbers or don't have a celebrity attached.

For premium feeds you can try to use the Patreon app, but you can use just about any third party app on your phone for a much better experience. I like Overcast on iOS.

Spotify is opening up their payment platform for all podcasts, as far as I've read.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EC posted:

I hadn't seen that! I looked it up and it's a slightly better deal than going with Apple (Spotify takes %5 instead of %30), but it ain't great. You have to use a specific hosting platform (Anchor), you can't set your own prices (it's locked to $3/5/8), and you can't subscribe from within the app. That last one is really rough.

I don't want to put word's in Kole's mouth but I can't see the value you'd get from doing that when you already have a successful Patreon that allows people to get the content they pay for through standard apps/infrastructure.

Not being able to subscribe from the app seems like a decision born out of not wanting Apple and Google to get their 30% cut. Clearly not in Spotify's interest. And having to host the podcast with them is standard for this new paradigm, Apple is doing the same. And any podcast on Spotify is hosted by Spotify anyways.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 29, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like this new paradigm of locked podcasting platforms either, I very much prefer the free-and-open current model, where I can chose my preferred app. But I think locked platform are, unfortunately, where things are going.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
With Pocket Casts specifically (because that's why I use), you simply pop the Patreon URL into the search bar.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I still want the Patreon bonus tier where you get podcast chapter marks.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Add chapter marks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry, it will get extremely repetitive soon enough. There's a reason it isn't all that well-regarded.

It's essentially great cutscenes coupled to a subpar game.

I didn't find the soundtrack selection to be especially inspiring either, seems to be mostly very obvious choices.