Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If you're listening to duckfeed for something OTHER than weird digressions, you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Didn't realize there was an arbiter for which digressions are good and which are bad. Please, tell me more.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Berzerker posted:

I've been skipping a lot of Radio Free Midworld lately because I am planning a Dark Tower re-read, but I still listen to the "between seasons" episodes and just wanted to say The Stand and IT movie episodes were all great.

That IT episode was one of my most fun times recording RFM. I could have probably kept going for another hour.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Get John from the Abject Suffering trucking episode back more often, he was delightful and added a lot to a great episode

Jon is great. You should listen to his DGUS ep too.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

misadventurous posted:

That mutant with a tiny version of himself hidden in his back, holy christ

Did someone mentioned tiny tusk?

https://twitter.com/DOFCPodcast/status/921722207625252866

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I made Gary watch an anime! Go get it, y'all.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Halogens posted:

Is it me, or has Jeremy Greer made himself scarce on Radio-Free Midworld (Autumn is great, don't get me wrong)? Seems like he kind of noped out after being around a lot in the early seasons. I miss having him on the show, although all the other guests are good, too. Speaking of which, I'm really glad for the sheer variety of nerds Kole can get rustle up to talk about Uncle Stevie's self-insert masterpiece.

I'm signed up for a few episodes in book 5, but I took a break for awhile. I have several other shows on various topics, and I was running out of free time. That and also I wanted to make sure I wasn't dominating guest appearances or anything (Kole would never say that in a million years but I can't help but think it).

If you like Cowboy Bebop, Souls, Supernatural, or the Witcher books though, I'm your man. :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Berzerker posted:

I was pretty close on the username... I used to contribute to Dark Souls Haters back in the day.

Cool! That site is still up but I barely pay attention to it anymore. Don't Give Up, Skeleton(my souls interview cast) is much more satisfying and positive in general.

WrightOfWay posted:

What's your Cowboy Bebop podcast called?

Don't Give Up, Space Cowboy. The first episode is here, the rest will be released via the Monster of the Week Patreon (that's also where the Witcher bookclub is).

EC fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 7, 2018

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Halogens posted:

You're a man after my own heart. I've been craving a Witchercast.

You'll be happy to know Autumn is on the first two episodes, and we have a bunch of different guests lined up for the future.

I'll stop pimping my own poo poo in here now, though. To listen to DOFC!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's either 110 or one right before that, because I just heard that story and that's where I'm at.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it in here, yet, but the dates for the 2019 Duckstream have been announced!

https://twitter.com/DuckfeedTV/status/1071562824135122950

I've seen some of the plans for the West Coast boys and I'm v. excited. Also Gary, me, and the rest of the lads will be doing a live Days of Future Cast on another terrible Wolverine movie, so yay?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

C-Euro posted:

Also do a WOFF for Hollow Knight you cowards.

EP 120 and 121 of BSC were on Hollow Knight. Still available on the old BSC feed.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Who's coming to DuckFest?

https://www.abjectsuffering.com/duckfest2019

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Wrestlepig posted:

Uncensor the guppy sex scene you cowards

Hard disagree

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hey Kole, is there any plans to talk about Castle Rock in any of the podcasts? If this has been talked about on any of the bonus podcasts, my apologies, I haven't had much free time to listen to everything like I used to.

I put a bug in his ear to check it out the last time we recorded RFM. I liked S1 a lot and S2 seems to be even better so far, so hopefully Kole will dig it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
No one has posted here about it, but pay attention the Duckfeed twitch this weekend, the boys are doing a fund raiser for Bernie Sanders.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Lester Shy posted:

Hell yeah. Do Twitch Prime subs count as donations? I wanna funnel my Bezos dollars to the big man.

I know they do when we do Duckstream, so without consulting Kole I would say yes, but Kole will know for sure.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I knew the tens of thousands of dollars they've raised for charities over the last few years was all an act.

Speaking of that, I don’t think anyone has posted about Duckfest 2020: Enter the Compu-Realm that’s happening THIS WEEKEND. Live streamed episodes of each podcasts, tons of bonus stuff, guest podcasts, and raising money so we can perform wokeness.

https://duckfeed.tv/duckfest

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Worrying if true https://twitter.com/koleross/status/1330639116929740803

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm in no way trying to defend Blow who by all accounts sucks, but it just seems to me that it's overstating the case to say that there should never be any game that has a color or sound puzzle for the rest of time, which seems to be the inevitable conclusion of claiming a designer is saying "gently caress you" to those people who are excluded.

People might like to play color or sound puzzles, and game developers might like to create them, so why should they not get them just because certain others can't enjoy them?

I would think a better option would be a configuration setting that could please both groups, rather than just abandoning entire conceptual design spaces. Obviously such an option is not in The Witness, but that's hardly unique to this one game and this one developer.

"I personally have never experienced a disability and thus, it seems to me; I should never have to have my beautiful video games sullied by things that remind me they exist"

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
He's also said that women are genetically inferior to men, which is why I say:

Old Swerdlow posted:

Jonathan Blow sucks poo poo.

I could live with the guy being pretentious (and I played both Braid and Witness and enjoyed them both) but following that dude on Twitter after the Witness came out was an eye opening experience.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes. Pocket Casts is good, for example. But maybe Duckfeed has plans for offering their Premium feed through Spotify as well?

Almost definitely not, Spotify gives no fucks about podcasts that don't do insane numbers or don't have a celebrity attached.

For premium feeds you can try to use the Patreon app, but you can use just about any third party app on your phone for a much better experience. I like Overcast on iOS.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I hadn't seen that! I looked it up and it's a slightly better deal than going with Apple (Spotify takes %5 instead of %30), but it ain't great. You have to use a specific hosting platform (Anchor), you can't set your own prices (it's locked to $3/5/8), and you can't subscribe from within the app. That last one is really rough.

I don't want to put word's in Kole's mouth but I can't see the value you'd get from doing that when you already have a successful Patreon that allows people to get the content they pay for through standard apps/infrastructure.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Edit: never mind

EC fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 29, 2021

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Omon Ra posted:

Wasn't familiar with him before, but it was a joy. He came across as a super smart dude.

If you're a fan of hip-hop or just the process of making music, I can't recommend What Had Happened Was enough. Every season is a different guest (Prince Paul, El-P, and most recently Dante Ross) and they do a deep dive into each guest's career. Even if you don't recognize the guests, Mike does a great job introducing the listener to them.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm going to have so much Schadenfreude whenever WOFF get round to Death Stranding

Edit: and now that I think about it, Nier Automata too

Willing to bet neither one of those ever happen.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'd be really quite disappointed if they never covered those games out of some weird popular hangover spite

Patreon dot com slash duckfeed tv

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

JollyBoyJohn posted:

hey bro ive held out hope for a decade that they will cover Thief 1/Thief 2 and thats way higher up my list than Nier or DS lol

My point bro was that there's avenues for people to ask them to cover games, and that if they don't pick those games outside of those avenues, then it's because they don't want to cover them, not "some weird popular hangover spite".

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

A Strange Aeon posted:

What is Spotify doing to the podcast industry? I listen to like 2 or 3 podcasts, so I'm unaware of larger trends I guess

One of the great things about podcasts is that it's still a relatively open medium. You can pay a small hosting fee and your podcast is then available everywhere in the world, and the people you're paying generally aren't one of the big mega-corps that dominate the rest of the tech industry. This is great for listeners since they have a wide variety of options for finding and listening to the episodes.

Then Spotify came along and started making deals with podcast creators, paying them big bucks to make their podcast exclusive to the platform. Joe Rogan was the biggest one, but there's tons more. Now those podcasts, which you may or may not listen to, are only available via Spotify, so listeners have less choice in how they get to it.

The last I checked, the money wasn't working out for them, so they're now dumping tons of staff in the podcast division, which sucks for the staff, the people that want to listen to these shows, and the people making these shows. Spotify isn't the only one doing this, either.

tl;dr it's another example of for profit companies hijacking open Internet standards to make a buck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Reminder that Duckstream is this weekend! It promises to be an insane time as usual:

http://duckfeed.tv/duckstream