Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The Witness episode is a lot of fun, they are roasting the creator good
I got like 80% of the way through The Witness (inside the mountain) and it always seems theoretically possible that I should finish it or replay it but maybe I should just listen to this ep and close that chapter in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
Y'all are making me reluctant to listen to the episode. I hold HZD in pretty high esteem and mostly only listen to WOFF episodes to hear them praise things they like, so if it's 3.5 hrs with a substantial amount of gripes maybe it is not for me.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't really get this opinion. Why would you only want to hear positive opinions of the works you love, instead of the contrary view to deepen your own appreciation of the work.
There's no shortage of reviews that focus on the flaws in a work. What I'm often hoping for in a WOFF episode is an appreciation for the things that were done well, hopefully with a little meta analysis of why the good things landed the way they did.

Fame Douglas posted:

Reviewers forced to play through a game in a limited amount of time will always believe any more substantial game to be too long.
I did ultimately listen to the ep and I agree with this assessment. Some of the sidequests are bad, but not as bad as they made them out to be. I probably played the game over the course of a month, I can't imagine how annoying any of the annoying parts would have seemed over a week.

I'm one of those people who is content to play one or two of these big open world games a year, so the length didn't bother me. Compared to AC:Valhalla, HZD is positively svelte. The modern day story is worse than the metal world story, but I still enjoyed being immersed in this world and imagining how things got from there to here.

I can see someone who listens to this without playing the game thinking that HZD is a bad game with some good story parts, whereas I think it's a good game with some good story parts.

Their fury with the trash economy in the game is on point, though. I spent way too much time picking trash off the ground, sorting through my trash in the menus, and giving my trash to vendors for almost no reward. Definitely recommend anyone on PC install the x10 inventory slots mod or any similar quality of life thing.

I didn't agree with their take that Ted Faro's arguments for destroying Apollo should've been presented by some other character. I didn't perceive Faro's argument as a serious one, just a last desperate grasp for relevance from someone who had doomed all life on the planet and just lost his close frenemy.

There's room for arguments about what the best way to reboot human civilization would have been, but "destroy the encyclopedia" isn't really one of them.

It sucks that they didn't play Frozen Wilds! Though I doubt it would have changed their opinions much.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Beartaco posted:

the tedious and embarassing task of blowing into the microphone
there's a part in Seaman for the Sega Dreamcast where Seaman gets sick and you have to do some unknown amount of cheering it up or it might die. I will never sink lower in my gaming career than when I spent a half hour saying "I love you" to a virtual monster man fish because a GameFAQ told me to.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Stardew Valley
something about this fills me with dread. Have they done many episodes on simulation type games before? I see there's one in the archives about Harvest Moon / Simcity

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Song For The Deaf posted:

Kole here. I love Stardew and have played it voraciously since it came out on Switch. G isn’t as enamored with it as I am (that would be a difficult feat), but he had a good time with it.
Interesting to hear! I played it a lot when it came out but have tried and failed several times to leap back in for the 1.5 content.

I've played a lot of similar games since that have worse characters and theming (My Time At Portia, Rune Factory 4) but more quality of life improvements. Which makes deciphering my farm and its 20 unshared unlabelled chests feel daunting in comparison, and I'd rather play a different new game than start a new farm.

Intrigued to hear how y'all break it down!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
About halfway listening to the Fallout 4 Part 1 episode. I agree wholeheartedly with their takes that the base building was good and the dialog system was bad. Hooray!

It's odd though in 2021 to spend any time talking about Travis the DJ from Fallout 4 without mentioning he was played by Coach Beard from Ted Lasso.

Listening to this is making me want to start it up again, I definitely bought the Season Pass but I actually never finished the game, trying to delay choosing between the factions as long as possible. Moved on to the next thing before any of the DLC came out at all.

If my savegame still exists somewhere I would probably find it very challenging to drop back into my 120 hours played world, but it's a lot more conceivable than starting over.

This podcast is such a joy to listen to sometimes. I've had a lot of prior exposure to blowhards like Ian Bogost who think no videogame should ever have a story, it's nice to hear people praise a game's mechanics while still allowing that it could or does have a decent story though the story could be done better.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

killhamster posted:

I’ve put something insane like 2000 hours into this game
:aaa:

I just now listened to the Stardew Valley episode and I have a renewed (but likely temporary) desire to jump back in to this game that I've played a mere 70 hours of.

Both of these games were released a year or two before I had kids and could sink big chunks of time into making my own little worlds without a second thought.

I've still managed to spend 100+ hours into various games since then, but it's usually at the cost of draining down the relationship bars on my real-life relationships.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Beartaco posted:

How many episodes are they planning on doing on Fallout 4? Are they doing one for each of the DLCs as well?

so far there's this

Episode 338: Fallout 4: Part 1
Episode 339: Fallout 4 (Part 2)
WOFF: Fallout 4 Part 3 (Including Automatron and Nuka-World)
WOFF 341: Fallout 4: Far Harbor

I haven't listened past Part 1 but I don't think there's any other substantial DLC if they've done those three?

My enthusiasm for picking the game back up diminished a little bit when I remember why I didn't poke around in any of the early DLC packs

But I imagine Far Harbor is pretty good, maybe I will play it sometime in my life.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I liked MGS5 but stopped at the pivot point which is apparently the start of the "postgame"

one of the last missions has a jeep ride where there's two minutes that the characters don't say anything while stirring music plays and the jeep continues to drive through unremarkable scenery

it felt so janky it was like my soul left my body a little bit. a remarkable experience.

Anyway, I would like to hear them complain about that part on the podcast.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Gary referring to Conan O’ Brien as a “grotesque star fucker”
what episode / timestamp be this

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
ah, I don't know if I listened to that episode in particular but I think they probably said similar things about Kojima in the MGS5 ep

I was curious to see if these hotheaded games podcasters were itching to take that oversized ginger down a peg!! but alas

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The King’s Quest 8 abject suffering is top tier.
Man I totally memory-holed that game. Was a big enough fan of the good-looking kings quests (5-7) but didn't want anything to do with KQ8 at the time because it looked like rear end.

I'm surprised wikipedia says it got "above-average reviews"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

DoubleCakes posted:

Glad that Gary found his detective game with Curse of the Golden Idol. I like the sound of it myself, but I find the aesthetic repulsive so I won't check it out.
It honestly grows on you.

I felt a sense of resentment visiting its Steam page before purchase, like why are people making me look at this ugly thing.

Now, having done the game and its DLCs: these folks are my Idol buddies, they are my trusted friends and they are beautiful.