Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got one of those old 2015 retina mac book pros for myself. I had gotten an air for the mrs but it wasn't mine so I used it a bit and it hosed me off.
it wasn't until I got one of my own that I realised how good this piece of poo poo is

osx is a great laptop operating system in that ios is a great phone operating system, and in the same way that both are terrible computer operating systems

but when it comes to making my laptop the coolest drat thing in the world.. this poo poo owns. fullscreen on this is such a great idea. my calendar? alwasys a three finger swipe to the right. press the volume button and spotify changes volume. the display is fantastic.

i mean there are bogus bits., thanks for always putting notifications over things I want to use. and god, the file system. what is this trash? as far as I am concerned this laptop is magic, until you lift the hood and see just a bunch of worms come out and you realise its a largely glitter rolled turd. that I love using. and the hardware. I can see why people are hosed off with the new one, this is a pro machine, and this pro machine of mine can do a whole lot of poo poo. the new one can do a whole lot of bogus poo poo if you have a dongle

and what else. i had to build a pc and i used one of those intel NUC things. god it was easy to put togehter. i dont think ill ever build a case pc again except for my main pc. i really wanna put one in the attic as a headless cyber war machine but i really dont have any need for one

and when I got that I got a new mouse a logitech thing but the thing is that the laser is too good and so you have to lift it HIGHGGGGGHH off the tablet or else the pointer keeps moving. lame

oh and graph mate gently caress you i wasnt drunk i was fuckin feeling really down and out and sure posting a yospos thread wasnt the best way for getting what I needed but did you have to be such a fuckin prick about it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
congrats on getting the proest computer

also on being back I guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it certainly is the most pro computer I think someone could ever get

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

how is the farm?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im the sex kiwi, not the farm kiwi, and not the skull kiwi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress is with installing software on osx. its a total joke. whats this dragging business?

the trackpad is fantastic. mission control owns. launchpad is worthless. the command-space spotlight is the greatest thing ive ever experienced on any operating system

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

installing software on a Mac is quick and easy to do you just reminded me that the gotta put in an insurance claim for my MacBook 2010 unibody that my youngest daughter poured a cold cup of coffee into and pretty much rooted the keyboard and maybe I'll get a proest computer not a poo poo laptop like the current line lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

im the sex kiwi

I am also this but just with one woman for over a decade poo poo it's nearly a decade and a half.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

objecting to the 2016 mbp because the battery isnt up to par and the ram is 16gb max is one thing, but being mad because "dongles" is loving stupid, the entire operating system is designed around doing everything wirelessly unless you need a really high speed port which is exactly what USB-C is

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
launchpad is one of those things that's weird to me when people don't take it out of their dock. do normies use it?

that and loving coverflow view in finder

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

objecting to the 2016 mbp because the battery isnt up to par and the ram is 16gb max is one thing, but being mad because "dongles" is loving stupid, the entire operating system is designed around doing everything wirelessly unless you need a really high speed port which is exactly what USB-C is

its a "pro" machine for "pros" to take along to a concert or their friends house or down to the hack station and it should be able to do everything possible in all those environments. leave it for the other line up to push the envelope, leave the pro line for pros who need to get poo poo done without bringing a bag of dongles

2015 retina mac book pro - hummer
2017 mac book usb c - hummer h2

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tmesis posted:

launchpad is one of those things that's weird to me when people don't take it out of their dock. do normies use it?

that and loving coverflow view in finder

finder is the worst thing in the world. i dont particualry "like" windows explorer but it works fine. mostly. its like a minimum standard. finder is just horrible. idk what it is either that makes it so bad to use. just terrible

also lol at how much poo poo costs in the app store. yes i want to pay 20x what i did for the ios version with exactly the same functionality :rolleyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i like how sweet personal hotspot works with my iphone too. like there is a special bff connection between my phone and my lappy. also coz the lappy can charge the phone

things that are bogus - start downloading a file, close lid and come back hoping to see it finished. oh the OS goes to sleep.. and so.. if you for example upgraded and wanted to leave the laptop to encrupt the whole harddrive.. you cant just plug it in charging and closed. you have to plug it in charging and open. LID OPEN.. what is the the 1900s??????

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh and the keyboard. its not nice to use, but its effective. its like in medicine ultiamtely you focus on end points, lowering your blood pressure is actually only worthwhile if it reduces mortality. otherwise youre just changing a number

and end of the day, i doint like typing on the mac keyboard but its actually very easy to do and dont make many typos. as opposed to my mechanicla which i like typing on and rules, or lovely boards which i dont enjoy and produce garbage. woah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good laptop, good laptop os. id shoot myself if i had to use it on a desktop

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

echinopsis posted:

finder is the worst thing in the world. i dont particualry "like" windows explorer but it works fine. mostly. its like a minimum standard. finder is just horrible. idk what it is either that makes it so bad to use. just terrible

Counterpoint: cmd + up goes up a level, cmd + down moves down and open files.

still on the fence on whether enter for editing filenames is clever or dumb. I mean it's nice on a laptop since instead of having to use two keys I can use one.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I am also this but just with one woman for over a decade poo poo it's nearly a decade and a half.

congrats! :)

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
it's macs book pro, op

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
hi echipenis :)

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

echinopsis posted:

I got one of those old 2015 retina mac book pros for myself. I had gotten an air for the mrs but it wasn't mine so I used it a bit and it hosed me off.
it wasn't until I got one of my own that I realised how good this piece of poo poo is

osx is a great laptop operating system in that ios is a great phone operating system, and in the same way that both are terrible computer operating systems

but when it comes to making my laptop the coolest drat thing in the world.. this poo poo owns. fullscreen on this is such a great idea. my calendar? alwasys a three finger swipe to the right. press the volume button and spotify changes volume. the display is fantastic.

i mean there are bogus bits., thanks for always putting notifications over things I want to use. and god, the file system. what is this trash? as far as I am concerned this laptop is magic, until you lift the hood and see just a bunch of worms come out and you realise its a largely glitter rolled turd. that I love using. and the hardware. I can see why people are hosed off with the new one, this is a pro machine, and this pro machine of mine can do a whole lot of poo poo. the new one can do a whole lot of bogus poo poo if you have a dongle

and what else. i had to build a pc and i used one of those intel NUC things. god it was easy to put togehter. i dont think ill ever build a case pc again except for my main pc. i really wanna put one in the attic as a headless cyber war machine but i really dont have any need for one

and when I got that I got a new mouse a logitech thing but the thing is that the laser is too good and so you have to lift it HIGHGGGGGHH off the tablet or else the pointer keeps moving. lame

oh and graph mate gently caress you i wasnt drunk i was fuckin feeling really down and out and sure posting a yospos thread wasnt the best way for getting what I needed but did you have to be such a fuckin prick about it all

wb echidnapenis

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

echinopsis posted:

its a "pro" machine for "pros" to take along to a concert or their friends house or down to the hack station and it should be able to do everything possible in all those environments. leave it for the other line up to push the envelope, leave the pro line for pros who need to get poo poo done without bringing a bag of dongles

2015 retina mac book pro - hummer
2017 mac book usb c - hummer h2
no, it's the reverse, since if you are a pro you dont need usb-a / cupholders, you need a bunch of super high speed ports / a turret mount and adjustable tire inflation. the 2016 mbp is the proer machine

macos is designed so that you can do everything wirelessly in "all those environments" unless you are a poor who cant afford wireless poo poo, and in that case why are you buying a $2000 laptop to begin with

echinopsis posted:

i like how sweet personal hotspot works with my iphone too. like there is a special bff connection between my phone and my lappy. also coz the lappy can charge the phone

things that are bogus - start downloading a file, close lid and come back hoping to see it finished. oh the OS goes to sleep.. and so.. if you for example upgraded and wanted to leave the laptop to encrupt the whole harddrive.. you cant just plug it in charging and closed. you have to plug it in charging and open. LID OPEN.. what is the the 1900s??????
get bettertouchtool and set five-finger swipe down to display sleep

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:chanpop:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i too wirelessly connect to power sources and external displays

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

power sources and external displays are actually one of the best reasons for usb-c adoption since now you can hook up multiple displays and power to one single port. although getting rid of magsafe was dumb.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Don't worry, there's a dongle for that

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i have the exact same laptop echi that i bought right after the 2016s came out, great choice mate

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Syncopated posted:

wb echidnapenis

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
i dont get why 'pro' users bithch about finder so much, still way better than that poo poo you get on windows or the bazilon varieties of suck you get on linux. just go on preferences disable that tag poo poo, and all the stupid loving 'movies' flolders, which are are even more hosed up on windblows and then enable file name extensions then show everything in column sort by name or date modified, loving simple. you now have the best setup known to man.

also echi mate, pro tip, right click, on a file, hold alt > copy file path, loving ace 😏

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that does sound pretty ace (asexual)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

i have the exact same laptop echi that i bought right after the 2016s came out, great choice mate

you helped me make this choice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vodkat posted:

i dont get why 'pro' users bithch about finder so much, still way better than that poo poo you get on windows or the bazilon varieties of suck you get on linux. just go on preferences disable that tag poo poo, and all the stupid loving 'movies' flolders, which are are even more hosed up on windblows and then enable file name extensions then show everything in column sort by name or date modified, loving simple. you now have the best setup known to man.

also echi mate, pro tip, right click, on a file, hold alt > copy file path, loving ace 😏

right click? you mean short tap with two figners right? ugh clicking the trackpad bites

and im not sure what youd want to do copy a file path???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

that does sound pretty ace (asexual)

lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vodkat posted:

its probably the file system I hate more than finder but I also hate finder. i hate how poorly it deals with a SMB netowkr and how when I use the mac outside my house it has the gall to try to tell me it can't "connect" to my network at home and forces me to answer ignore or retry

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you should be using appletalk op

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

echinopsis posted:

right click? you mean short tap with two figners right? ugh clicking the trackpad bites

and im not sure what youd want to do copy a file path???

echinopsis posted:

its probably the file system I hate more than finder but I also hate finder. i hate how poorly it deals with a SMB netowkr and how when I use the mac outside my house it has the gall to try to tell me it can't "connect" to my network at home and forces me to answer ignore or retry

1) because you using terminal on mac is actually very good

1.5) system settings > touchpad > tap to click

2) because you are trying to connect to an inferior protocol

etc etc.. yospos bithc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankfully I don't need to touch a computer to the depths of entering a terminal

and I had tap to click on. poo poo owns. whats hosed up is that its NOT on by default. like when you log off and you have to select yourself as a user rather than guest and you tap on your icon and it doesnt work because thats right TAP TO CLICK IS DISABLED BY DEFAULT

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

you should be using appletalk op

what the fucl even is thi

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

echinopsis posted:

thankfully I don't need to touch a computer to the depths of entering a terminal

and I had tap to click on. poo poo owns. whats hosed up is that its NOT on by default. like when you log off and you have to select yourself as a user rather than guest and you tap on your icon and it doesnt work because thats right TAP TO CLICK IS DISABLED BY DEFAULT

my friend you may have had the pleasures of touching a lady, but i am saddened to hear that you have never experienced the true joy and nirvana of touching a computer deeply

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i never understood the launcher fad in like, 2010. it made sense when you had windows xp and no search bar but vista and on you could launch and program basically instantly, and if you wanted a specific document instead then you could go into your well-organized document stash and find it there. whatever search algorithm they use that gives preference to half-words inside documents and random webpages is way worse than just finding something. i think the big problem is that normies just hunt and click and don't understand say, how the windows key + e will open up windows explorer and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
today wife asked about her mothers phone number and her lappy was there and i said "command space" as i hit command space and the typed "mum" and i showed her the contact cane up and showed the numbers immediately
and i love that that works across all computers and phones

• Locked thread