Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fender posted:

Re: V7 talk.

I've had the V7 II for about half a year. A little over 3,000 miles so far. I've had no major issues.

I have had to replace the cap on the master cylinder with one from a few models back. The new one is a poo poo design that leaks a bit of fluid. I've also had to replace the brake signal switch that sits right under that reservoir, likely related to the former. Or the bike was made on Tuesday. Either way, nothing major and I spent about $40 and my dealer is 20 min up the street.

It's a cool bike. Probably too cool for me to use as my daily ride. You will attract more old men than you can handle. And you can spend less & get something zippier & modern like the FZ-07 or SV650.

Here is what I really like about it:
Looks cool as gently caress.
Shaft drive.
ABS & Traction Control.
Huge gas tank, miles per gallon up around 50-60. 300 mile range.
Easy to handle at 430 lbs.
Engine oil is separate from the transmission oil which is separate from the shaft oil and it's a dry clutch.
Good ol' V-Twin. Super relaxing bike to ride. Nothing on this bike is screaming at me twist my wrist and take off like a bat out of hell. Mostly because it can't.

It's a good bike. But I'd only get it if it makes your pants tight & you can't imagine being on anything else. It's not the most practical decision at the current price point, even with the most recent drop down to $8k.

Literally this. I actually bought my V7 Special as my first bike and it's been great, long winter break notwithstanding. Of course, I'd been looking at old Guzzis for years and never pulled the trigger, because there's something about them that "makes my pants tight," so to speak, and I fully realize that I'm a massive dumb-dumb for immediately jumping on it, but the bike itself is fantastic.

It will be the spark of conversation with shitloads of greybeards reminiscing about their old Guzzis (I don't know how but there's always one every time I get on the bike) and hipsters won't poo poo up about it (but let's face it, every V7 owner is a little bit hipster).

The shaft drive was a big draw for me.

It's an oddball that will make you end up learning a bunch of stupid trivia about the brand because outside of greybeards and hipsters it's still not very well known, but I love every second of it and wouldn't trade that for the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I read the whole thread over the last week or so and was wondering if the other people who started out on a V7 are still reading it?

Still reading and still riding; I love my V7 and wouldn't change my choice for a first bike. I still love the look (an important part of riding an Italian bike), and I've yet to find any major problems with it. Some bolts/nuts have rattled loose but that's why you check things periodically and tighten them when needed, and that's happened on every bike anyone in my family has ever owned.

I did drop it in my driveway. Marred the bar end and a spot on the exhaust, but otherwise it was fine. People keep talking about how much that sucks but I figure it just gives my bike a little personal character and I don't give half a poo poo about resale value.

Keep up w/ maintenance and don't be afraid to fiddle with things on it and you'll be just fine.