Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Looks like you started this thread right around when my friends and I decided to get back into the game, right around when the new movie came out. Wish I had seen this thread sooner so I could have jumped on the poking fun at the dummy who had to cheat to LP Sacred Cards 7 years ago bandwagon, but oh well.

I'm looking forward to seeing where the plot goes in Reshef of Destruction. I never played that one, only ever heard that it was painfully difficult which made it painfully unfun. I was never a fan of these styles of Yu-Gi-Oh games, if it was going to involve the cards I preferred they stick with the actual TCG rules.

I started rereading the manga about a week ago too, I'm at volume 1 of Duelist, and some of the differences between the manga and anime are pretty interesting. I like seeing the manga only characters show up in these updates, nice nods to fans of the series, and unique sprites so the NPC's wind up with some extra color to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

season 0 ruled, or at least the manga did. yami burns a guy alive, cool as heck

Yami burns one dude alive, Yugi has Joey burn another dude alive. But to be fair that guy was basically leatherface and Kaiba locked Joey in a room with the two of them handcuffed together. Yami also burned some bullies but they lived.

Also Yami gives Kaiba recurring nightmares to the point where Kaiba builds a theme park based around torturing if not outright killing Yugi, and when Yami beats him again he puts Kaiba in a coma. The English dub of the anime kinda glosses over the coma from what I remember but it's been a while since I watched it.

He electrocutes, like, a LOT of people, poisons Mokuba, blinds a jackass TV producer, chloroforms a rapist, steals a guy's soul, etc. Season 0 (Yu-Gi-Oh volumes 1-7) is awesome. The way the anime needed to use plot points from the early manga to make filler to explain some things also works pretty well, and is why the filler in the Duelist Kingdom arc doesn't really feel like 'true' filler.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Also the Duel Boxes make way more sense and are just better in general than the stupid Duel Arenas.

Making them Duel Arenas in the anime only screwed things up, like Mokuba grabbing Yugi's star chips (he had to get down from the arena, run around it, climb up Yugi's side, and steal Yugi's star chips without Atem realizing what's going on. He successfully does this) or Kaiba's main reason for wanting to use the Duel Disk against Pegasus (he knows Pegasus can read your mind, he just theorizes that Pegasus needs to be in close proximity with a clear line of sight, so the duel disk lets you stand further away from your opponent and 'expert mode' makes the holograms of the cards in your hand for you to stand behind. With the Duel Arena, you're probably further away from your opponent than when using the duel disk, rather than the duel box where you're across a small table from them).

And I don't think the anime (at least the english dub) showed why losing a duel to Kaiba put Yugi's grandpa in the hospital, but in the manga it's because Kaiba subjected Yugi's grandpa to the same 'shadow game' Atem originally put him through that gave him nightmares for months.

I'm winding down reading the Duelist Kingdom arc, so I don't really remember too well how the Battle City arc reads. I thought it was pretty similar (with some minor filler here and there in the anime), but I'll see in a few days!

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Ephraim225 posted:

I didn't know Tristan had a dog.

It comes up a few times in the manga. It's the reason he doesn't get into the V-pet craze (too busy with a real pet to get a fake one). Later on while walking his dog he sees Yami Bakura go into Duke's game shop, which is how the gang realizes something is up and that Duke and his dad kidnapped Yugi.

Side note, the Duke arc in the manga was split into three arcs in the anime. First you have the actual DDM game between Yugi and Duke, although in the manga Yugi doesn't have the Millennium Puzzle so it's actually Yugi playing the game instead of Atem. Second, the "trapped in a burning building with the broken Millennium Puzzle which Yugi tries to put back together instead of running to safety". Finally, the "your grandpa hosed over my [grand]dad".

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If you've seen the movie, you might recall Joey working for a guy dressed as a clown.

That's actually Duke's father. He dresses up like a clown because he's really weird and lost to Yugi's grandfather in a Shadow Game. In trying to get his revenge on Yugi, he burns down his new gaming store, which is replaced by a warehouse fire caused by a delirious Bandit Keith in the anime.

And Duke's father having a problem with Yugi's grandpa is more or less replaced with the Rebecca story. Although in the manga, Yugi's grandpa did get his Blue-Eyes from a friend in America, and there is a picture of the two of them in the game shop, Dr. Hawkins is never actually named and Rebecca never shows up.

Also in the show Joey loses a game of Duel Monsters to Duke to become his dog and Yami Yugi has to beat Duke in a game of DDM to free him, in the manga Joey loses some bar bet card games. Then Yami Yugi beats Duke in a bar bet card game to free Joey, the DDM match had nothing to do with him.

I talked about this with a friend a while back, but most of the filler before Battle City (other than the virtual world) was pulled from other storylines in the manga, so a lot of it feels like it fits in pretty well. Then there's the two virtual world arcs to throw off any momentum. Although even then the Battle City virtual world arc is the only time in the anime if I remember correctly where we get the story of Seto cheating at a game of chess to get himself and Mokuba adopted. Then being treated like poo poo, taking over the company, and driving his adopted father to commit suicide.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Bonz was also one of the last players in both to get eliminated.

I'll give him Duelist Kingdom (although he did have Bandit Keith telling him what to do and building his deck), but in Battle City, he and his two buddies just scared people at the cemetery to take their Locator Cards.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In the manga it was just him and we never see how he got the other cards. Presumably it was by dueling. I'm assuming that's the continuity they're treating his skills with since this game merges the manga and anime, though he never seems particularly impressive in either.

In fact, Bakura just kills him after dueling him offscreen during the manga of Battle City.

Ah, I haven't gotten that far in my reread, but I remembered how it played out in the anime. I'm at Joey vs. Mako now.

And speaking of Mako, he seems pretty solidly middle of the pack as far as they go. He had a respectable number of star chips when he dueled Yugi, and has four locator cards when he dueled Joey. Given the characters who make the final 8, Mako probably lost the last two to either Marik, Odion, or Ishizu, so there was some bullshit going on. As far as being a regular duelist goes he's not bad, just missing something to get him over the hump.

Like not dueling two main characters with their main character luck.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Ephraim225 posted:

Geez, Keith! That's twice in the same continuity you've smashed the puzzle!

I was going to say something about how this could be the manga (not counting R) continuity, in which case Keith never broke the puzzle, but in the manga (not counting R) Keith is dead so I guess not! :v:

Ephraim225 posted:

If you're thinking it's Paradox as in the Paradox Brothers, no, it isn't, but I can see where the confusion comes from.

Is it still "Paradox" in the Japanese version of the game? Because they're called the Meikyu Brothers in the manga, so there would only be confusion for the English audience I guess.

Besides that, 7 years after this game came out we did get Paradox in Bonds Beyond Time! Another character that makes little to no sense and only serves as a minor temporary distraction in the grand scheme of things! (I haven't actually seen that movie, my only knowledge of it comes from the YGO:TAS version)

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

That is around the point LittleKuriboh stopped just taking the piss out of the actual story and started making dozens of pop culture references, so I definitely am missing a lot of the story. And if it's tied closely to 5D's I figure I should probably get around to watching that first. But you're right, trying to prevent a card game from destroying the world by traveling through time to play said card game with the fate of the world on the line makes perfect sense in or out of context.

Also, forgot this in my last post but

Ephraim225 posted:

Dan Green returns!

Dan Green never left, he voices both Yugi and Atem :v:

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Man, the art style for the original anime got a lot worse after Battle City.

Speaking of ridiculous plays, here's a non-edited one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80fbdQBwbO4

Wow, there's a lot of recycled animation just in this 3 minute clip.

I had stopped watching the anime long before this duel so I'd never seen that. I mean, credit to the strategy, it falls in line with other rule bending the anime and manga do, like using Brain Control on Revival Jam as it was reviving. But I mean it's still pretty god drat stupid.

Ephraim225 posted:

You're gonna need every broken card you can fit into your deck. Luckily, I picked up a pretty good one. Remember Petit Moth? This card evolves into Larvae Moth if it survives a turn, then Cocoon of Evolution the next turn, and finally, the 2600-attack Great Moth. But it has to survive, so surely the CPU would just destroy it, right?

I think Weevil got his hands on the Millennium Rod and took over Ephraim's mind. Or the Konami offices. I don't think there will ever exist another context in which Petit Moth would be considered 'broken'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Ephraim225 posted:

Does Duelist of the Roses count? (Granted the Cocoon itself is the card doing the hard work in that context)

I was a Nintendo child growing up, so Falsebound Kingdom was the only console Yu-Gi-Oh I got to play. How is Cocoon of Evolution broken in Duelist of the Roses? Is it just that it has 2000 defense and can hold out until Great Moth?

• Locked thread