Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Yugioh has always been a broken mess of a game, every since the very beginning. It's just a different kind of broken now than it used to be.

Still super fun though. Can't wait for dinosaur meta to begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Ephraim225 posted:

A single card can be used to build an entire field in one turn if you know what you're doing.

Off the top of my head, there's only like, one modern deck (Zoodiacs) that can do that consistently and reliably, and the OCG banlist just rendered said deck unplayable.

Maybe Infernoids, but they can't do it nearly as consistently.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Which period, exactly? Monarchs have been the meta like, four different times in this silly game's history.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

... They are still making new yu-gi-oh epsiodes? Actually, I would kinda have a nostalgic desire to see a reboot of the first few seasons of the show, kinda like dragonball z and fullmetal.

You're in luck. They just did a movie that's a sequel to the original manga (Not the anime, the manga. There's a couple of plot points that don't make sense if you try to view it as a sequel to the anime). It has it's flaws, but overall it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG3sUoY61es

But yes, they're still doing episodes. The final episode of the fifth series is this Sunday, and then the sixth series begins in May.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Zore posted:

One of the later series features a caste system based on your ability to duel! I should also stress that series has a mini arc where the protagonist is thrown into jail and manages to escape by using illegally smuggled cards provided by the other prisoners to duel the warden for his freedom. And every city in the world has a highway system configured to change on a whim to a race track so people can play card duels on motorcycles against each other.

And that's probably the most grounded setting.

This is also the series with a final boss who comes from the ruined future to stop the protagonist and his friends, because the future is destroyed by card games.

The key to defeating him involves riding a motorcycle into space and becoming a super saiyan in order to combine five mythical dragons together into one greater dragon, who is the embodiment of cosmic might and also the protagonist's bonds with his friends.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is fuckin' weird, man.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Most YGO shows tend to fall apart in the second half.

The exception is Zexal which falls apart in the first half and puts itself back together in the second.

That being said I like the second half of GX but that's a hotly debated subject over whether it's good or not.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Flame Wingman's super power?!

N-no..! S-surely you can't be talking about what I think you're talking about..!

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

"But first, I play Pot of Greed, which lets me draw two cards from my deck!"

"Good move! Since he played Pot of Greed, he can draw two more cards!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55rM2_XvcT4

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yuma did it first.

Yusei went Super Saiyan first.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

That's way too many words to type to complain about a children's card game anime, especially when many of those complaints can be used for any of the five main shows in the franchise.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

So is every Yu-Gi-Oh series.

Doesn't change that he's complaining about plot elements that are in most or all of the other shows.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

GX was all about alternate dimensions.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Sangan was banned because he was the second best searcher in the game.

He recently became unbanned, though they gave him errata to weaken his effect.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Kick Man is an old card from before they had consistent, clarified text on their cards, and I'm pretty sure he's never been reprinted to fix it.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

He would have won, too, if not for the Crimson Dragon pulling out bullshit time travel powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

Ive been watching GX for the first time and whenever someone gets hurt by a monster attacking them directly I lol. Its so stupid.

You would have a heart attack watching Arc-V.

• Locked thread