Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I always liked The Sacred Cards, even though people said it was too easy. A friend of mine even drew the avatar character of this game, even though you can't really see too many details of him.

Also, I believe that The Sacred Cards follows the manga more closely than the anime. Pandora, for instance, was dueled in some magician's tent in the anime, whereas the manga had Atem figure out that the Ghouls were working out of the shop where the Duel Disks came from and he dueled Pandora in the basement of that building. The location in Sacred Cards is based on the latter, from all indication.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Having read the GX manga, I don't recall seeing him at all. The only original characters in GX's manga were:

* Koyo Hibiki: The guy who gets Jaden into dueling and gives him his E-Hero deck.
* Midori Hibiki: The above's teacher and the professor of Osiris Red.
* David Rabb: A minor antagonist mid-way through the manga that used The Big Saturn.
* Reggie MacKenzie: A minor antagonist mid-way through the manga that used The Splendid Venus.
* Principal MacKenzie: Reggie's dad. Possessed by the main villain, Tragoedia, and uses The Supremacy Sun.

Otherwise, everyone else was a character in the anime.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I never realized that Mai used a deck with a bondage theme when I was a kid.

Also, Marik's death trap never made sense to me. Instead of setting the timer and anchor to 30 minutes, why not set it to two minutes and just have Joey stand there instead of dueling? He didn't want Yugi's puzzle in the manga, so this way they die immediately and there's no need to prolong things. The anime added some lines about him wanting the Millennium Puzzle and needing to win it fairly in a duel or some nonsense, but he cheats in pretty much every match in Battle City aside from the duel with Strings.

In regards to the game, Revival Jam is a good card to use in tandem with the God Cards. Its special effect summons an extra copy of itself to the field.

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh God, you're going to have to play Reshef.

Godspeed you poor bastard.

Thinking about that game still makes me angry.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 2, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jean Claude was not in the manga, no.

And Odion pretends to be Marik because the real Marik wanted to do something. I dunno. Marik's plans are pretty dumb, to be honest. He spends the whole time he pretends he isn't Marik holding the real Millennium Rod behind his back.

Incidentally, I do believe that Odion can summon Ra, but I think it just winds up being the Sphere Mode if he does.

The God Cards weren't destroyed for reasons gone into in the Memory World arc. Yami Yugi needs to win them and use them on Ishizu's Giant Rock of Ancient Egyptian Spoilers to learn his true name so he can pass into the afterlife. This ties in with a subplot about Yugi becoming his own person and so on. I guess this game just decided not to worry about silly things like that, so he'll wander the Earth forever. Cheery!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 6, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's a pretty obscure secret, yeah.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That first game sounds dreadful and somehow the fourth game sounds even worse.

Surprised to see the Puppeteer of Doom in the second, as well as the Mimic of Doom/Gay Clown. Why on Earth would they make Ritual spells consumable?

I remember playing Dark Duel Stories so much in elementary school. It was my introduction to a number of things from Battle City. By the end of the game, I'd always have BEUD and Thousand Eyes Restrict in my deck, though it really sucked if someone used Change of Heart to steal your BEUD since it's pretty much unbeatable. No traps in the game can kill it and it has no elemental weakness. You basically have to use Crush Card or your own Change of Heart or something to get rid of it.

I always wondered why they didn't put Gamma and Valkyrion in the game, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziT_oPvNT-k

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 11, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oops, my mistake.

And I had no idea that song was that old. I only know it from DDS, Falsebound Kingdom, and Duelist of the Roses.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I want to say that stars can be given or taken with spell effects. Powering down a monster would make it have less stars than normal, I think.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought that was how it worked in DDS, but it has been years since I touched the game admittedly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The depths of my hatred for this abomination unto game design know no bounds.

I never even beat Rebecca because the lovely deck you're stuck with at the beginning can barely beat the opponents with crappy cards, let alone her decent ones. Not helped by the fact that she's an encounter only available early on and the plot of this game loves to poo poo talk you and call you weak at every turn just to add insult to injury.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why does Isono have Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon?

Ephraim225 posted:

Rebecca's grandpa was the one that gave Yugi's grandpa the Blue-Eyes White Dragon card, but Seto Kaiba tore it up and Rebecca's not happy about it. Huh. Did that also happen in the manga? I'm confused. Which continuity is this?!

Sort of. In the manga, Arthur Hawkins technically exists, but he's not named nor is any real detail given on him unlike in the anime filler. Rebecca is also not mentioned at all in the manga.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 15, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Clearly the moral guardians couldn't get past the ridiculous opening act either.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

Well, they could have just made Yugi the player character, that would solve 99% of the plot issues that come up.

That actually would be a pretty compelling game, especially given that the last arc of the original series (and part of R) involve Yugi having to handle dueling on his own rather than relying on Atem.

Heck, since Atem has been removed from the equation, you have an even better reason to go that route.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

the only good yugioh days was when gemini twins or w/e was the only 1900 4-star and it was one of the rarest cards, with only a few 1800 ones. Basically the first like 7? packs

Gemini Elf. Vorse Raider had similar stats.

There was also Thunder Nyan Nyan, but you had to play a Light-themed deck if you wanted to make that card work.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

serefin99 posted:

I have seen the, quote, "Calvinball-Mornington-Crescent-Rocket-Tag YGO has turned into," and Links are not the solution. I can sympathize with wanting the game to slow down. It's why I don't touch any meta decks period, since I prefer my duels to last more than 2 turns. But what Links are doing isn't 'slowing the game down'. They're cutting off its legs, throwing it into a pit of starving tigers, and yelling, "Run, Forrest! Run!"

tl;dr anyone who legitimately thinks the Link mechanic will be healthy for the game can eat my Duel Dick.

I saw a webm of some guy summoning the same Xyz monster, like, 50 times in one turn and decking their opponent out with it.

What happened to this game?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

A likely-stacked deck against an opponent that was either in on it or cherry-picked?

I think it was something to do with Maxx C.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

- The final boss was nerfed. Believe me, he needed it.

Using an action replay code that reduces enemy LP to 0, I believe it still took me until Turn 8 before I was able to end the duel with this guy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, that was a mistake on my part. Or maybe I did include them and it just took a while for them to come up. I can't remember; it's been years at this point since I've touched this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well now I'm wondering what the deal is with Ritual Monsters. I never used them in these games.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I found a pretty good summation of the problems with RoD. Excluded a few things that haven't come up yet.

Sabrina posted:

This, in itself, is a good showing of just why Reshef of Destruction's gameplay isn't fun: it's never a competition between equals. The game may feature 800 cards, but between Deck Cost, Duelist Level, the limited opponents you can grind ante cards against, and the execrable pricing structure, the player will only ever be able to obtain a fraction of them. This, in turn, makes it nigh-impossible to actually form a cohesive strategy, much less a Deck that's uniquely yours. Just creating something functional is so important to gameplay that it actually stifles creativity. And because the grinding is so slow, the player has no chance of creating a Deck that's consistently able to actually match the challenges they face.

Let's assume we want to create a Deck capable of matching (Duelist). He played mostly cards in the 1100-1200 range. To have a Deck containing twenty cards with stats of 1100 or better, we would have to have a Deck Capacity of at least 2060 - even if the only other cards in that Deck were twenty copies of 0-cost cards like Sparks or Infinite Dismissal.

So instead, the player is forced to pack a few cards that can consistently beat the opponent, instead of spreading themselves thin. The rest of their Deck atrophies and suffers, and the player resigns themselves to their strategy devolving to "draw the card that can win."

And that just isn't fun.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's also the fact that a good number of the Ghouls should be dead.

Like, Marik straight up brainwashes Pandora/Arkana into killing himself after the duel. Or, at least, he did in the manga. His girlfriend also didn't really get more than a passing mention in the manga.

Duke and Tristan having a thing for Serenity was also anime only.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I haven't seen much of the other Yu-Gi-Oh series, to be honest.

There were a series of story time threads for GX and 5Ds' mangas that I caught, but I've only seen the beginning of GX up to about Jaden getting his Neo Spacian deck and a smattering of 5Ds episodes involving the Dark Signers. The GX manga was better than what I saw of the anime, though the 5Ds manga was terrible.

That being said, I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts on Arc-V, though I probably won't be able to appreciate them fully.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That sounds like what I've heard of 5Ds.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Don't forget that the main character of VRAINS literally becomes a Super Saiyan while he duels.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pretty sure Bakura is Freeza. Or Dark Marik.

Also, Iove how regular Bakura doesn't even show up in this game. The anime team really hated using him, from all indication, and now the games are cutting him out too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not sure what I just read, but I think I made a good choice stopping at 5Ds' Dark Signers arc.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

I don't remember anyone creating dimensions with just their playing cards, so...that's a shock to me as well.

Well, it wasn't a dimension, but that was the final arc of the original series in a sense.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The manga has Atem destroy Kaiba's mind which leaves him catatonic for nearly a year. This results in the Big 5 deciding to make a power play to take KaibaCorp away from the Kaiba Bros., planning on merging with Industrial Illusions and having Pegasus take over the company. But only if he can beat Yugi in a duel since Yugi's public embarrassing of Kaiba caused their stocks to go down.

The anime has Atem just instantly purge Kaiba of evil (which really makes me question what happens to PaniK and the Mimic of Doom when he Mind Crushes them) and Kaiba leaves to go do soul searching because... reasons. The Big 5 proceed to try to take over with Pegasus during this time as well.

Noticeably, this leads to some differing scenarios between the two mediums, particularly in the Ghost Kaiba section. In the manga, this guy named the Puppeteer of Doom shows up with a doll he claims to hold the soul of Kaiba in it, while the anime has the "Ghost of Seto Kaiba" who is actually the evil side of Kaiba's heart that was sent to the Shadow Realm and revived as a gay clown a gay clown that happens to be a skilled disguise artist and not some silly 4Kids edit. In the latter, Kaiba goes to the Kaiba Cave and hacks the duel to destroy the hologram with a virus; in the former, Kaiba comes out of his catatonic state which causes the Blue Eyes on the field to destroy itself because Kisara really hates it when people other than Seto use her.

Really, Duelist Kingdom as a whole is better in the manga I'd say (especially Pegasus), though the anime does a lot better with Battle City. Yugi vs. Exodia Ghoul, for instance, is pretty underwhelming in the manga with no LP damage occurring at all and Exodia Ghoul immediately surrenders upon Lightforce Sword destroying his Exodia strategy as opposed to the anime actually making that a duel.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 28, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Johnny Steps and the Big 5 weren't filler; they were also in the manga, but in smaller roles.

The Big 5 are just there for Duelist Kingdom and are presumably fired after Kaiba realizes they tried to have his company taken over, while Johnny Steps just does the dance-off with Tea, though the anime added him trying to knock her off of the game platform and challenging Atem to a duel.

And the Kaibaman scenario is, of course, a reference to the first Virtual World Arc, with each of the Big 5 portrayed as their Deck Master from the second.

I like talking about this series too much.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Who knew Petit Dragon had such a long and complicated history?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You had to remind me of the last duel of Nightmare Troubadour.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If you've seen the movie, you might recall Joey working for a guy dressed as a clown.

That's actually Duke's father. He dresses up like a clown because he's really weird and lost to Yugi's grandfather in a Shadow Game. In trying to get his revenge on Yugi, he burns down his new gaming store, which is replaced by a warehouse fire caused by a delirious Bandit Keith in the anime.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The second virtual world arc would've been better if it took place before the Battle City finals rather than after Mai and Bakura were teetering between life and death.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Pipipi thing is supposed to be him consulting the cosmos. Think of it like people going "Ommmm" when they're meditating.

As a note, there are a number of other manga cameo duelists, but they aren't as easily noticeable as Zombire there.

Also, Mai placed high in Duelist Kingdom and Battle City. Bonz was also one of the last players in both to get eliminated. As for Mako, I dunno.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 5, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MissileWaster posted:

I'll give him Duelist Kingdom (although he did have Bandit Keith telling him what to do and building his deck), but in Battle City, he and his two buddies just scared people at the cemetery to take their Locator Cards.

In the manga it was just him and we never see how he got the other cards. Presumably it was by dueling. I'm assuming that's the continuity they're treating his skills with since this game merges the manga and anime, though he never seems particularly impressive in either.

In fact, Bakura just kills him after dueling him offscreen during the manga of Battle City.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

Does he kill ALL the likable non-main characters or just Bonz and Pegasus?

Bonz, Pegasus, Shadi, and almost Joey.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Why did they have that dumb laser battle? When was that ever established? How come Yami Bakura isn't wearing the eye in battle city?

The anime team liked Pegasus so much that they decided to spare him. Though, for whatever reason, they also cut out the dialogue of Pegasus explaining everything about ancient Egypt. That might possibly be because the Duelist anime didn't adapt Season Zero, so instead of Pegasus talking about how he met Shadi and got the Eye from him, they just did a quick adaptation of Shadi's introduction in Season Zero.

As for why he's not wearing the Eye, it would be noticeable as Onmi said, but he's also intending on giving the Eye to Yugi at some point so he can send him to the Memory World and enact his plans with Zorc. That is in fact how the final arc of the manga starts.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not dueling main characters is a good way to get ahead, yes.

Also, Joey vs. Mako was a bunch of nonsense.

"I summon Panther Warrior and use this equip spell to attack your monster even though it's stronger than mine! However, by using Kunai with Chain, I can swing onto its back and attack its blind spot."

"Yes, but my Fortress Whale can spin and send your monster flying, which will cause it to have broken bones and internal injuries from the impact."

"Aha, but I played my additional equip spell card which zaps your Fortress Whale with electricity by channeling it through the sword Panther Warrior left stuck inside of it! And since you're over the ocean, all of your monsters are likewise electrocuted and destroyed!"

How the gently caress does this game work?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If you look to the left of this image, you'll see Kaiba's henchman, Hobson. Just one of the game's many cameos.

But never mind that, let's talk about Marik.

Now, I was going to wait until we got to the postgame (or at least some later bosses) before I started talking about how strong opponent decks are, but Marik is really the point where the game decides to stop giving a gently caress about pretending it doesn't hate your guts.

Marik's Deck posted:

Monsters:
---------
1x Cyber-Tech Alligator
1x Humanoid Worm Drake
3x Humanoid Slime
3x Worm Drake
3x Executor - Makyura
3x Revival Jam
3x Newdoria
3x Viser Des
2x Darkfire Soldier #1
1x Talons of Shurilane
1x Byser Shock
1x Des Volsgraph

Traps:
------
3x Widespread Ruin

Magic:
------
3x Swords of Revealing Light
3x Monster Reborn
2x Soul of the Pure
1x Harpie's Feather Duster
2x Raigeki
1x Pot of Greed
1x Spellbinding Circle

So, as we can see above, Marik can at any given time:

* Completely nuke your field of monsters. Twice. (Raigeki)
* Completely nuke your field of magic/traps. (Harpie's Feather Duster)
* Weaken your monsters. (Spellbinding Circle)
* Restore 2000 LP to himself. Twice. (Soul of the Pure)
* Bring back the last destroyed monster. Thrice. (Monster Reborn)
* Completely render you incapable of doing anything to him for potentially nine turns. (Swords of Revealing Light)

And those are just his Magic cards. He has three copies of a 1500 ATK monster that can clone itself when it's played on the field just to talk about one of his monsters.

But don't worry! This is just the mid-game speed bump!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 9, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It would certainly trim down on a lot of frustration, especially since pretty much everyone in this game runs three copies of SoRL after this duel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

His backstory makes more sense if you've seen 5D's, from what I understand. Something about the main villains of the WRGP.

• Locked thread