Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Anybody complaining about Yugioh only now being a broken mess of a game is a broken brained baby who lusts for the good old days and was never good enough or into the game enough to know that from its first loving set the game was a horrifically broken mess of chase cards and wank.

Nothing has changed, if anything the games gotten far funner for introducing more playstyles than "Have the highest attack monster, also gently caress the other player if they don't have removal." It turned a stale game that in its very first pack was "If you do not have Hitotsume-Giant then you might as well not be playing because only two other monsters have 1200 attack and that's as high as it goes without tribute." To one with exciting turnabouts and counters. Rank 4 Toolbox might be degenerate, but I'll take being able to have answers to my opponents and being able to turn a losing situation into my victory over having to sit around and fiddle with my dick each turn.

If you think this game was ever more balanced or 'fun' in the past, you are wrong. I have played this game in every era it's had. It's had its degenerate Tier-0 formats, it's had a healthy meta, and all of it has been power creep. Ever since set 1, Where the only tribute monsters were Gaia the Fierce Knight and Dark Magician and the latter was always going to be stronger than the former, with no way to ever bridge that gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I saw a webm of some guy summoning the same Xyz monster, like, 50 times in one turn and decking their opponent out with it.

What happened to this game?

The same thing that happened to a Magic: The Gathering Storm deck designed to draw the entire deck and kill you with a Storm card. a ridiculous combo which will never, ever happen in a real game. It's like assembling a Gun from Ikea.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Koguma posted:

Atlantean Mermail can also do it with Deep Sea Diva + any other water attribute card

and take 2-3 cards from your opponent's hand

Diva's limited to 1 though and while no one is going to say they AREN'T an OTK deck, but... that's all they are. They aren't nearly consistent about it, certainly not in comparison to that loving rat. They are also an older deck type, hence the "Modern deck" clarifyer. After all, I could bring up Goat Control as a truly degenerate deck from 2004. Or Chaos Control, same year.

And lets take a look at that winning deck lineup from 2003

Sangan
Witch of the Black Forest
Jinzo
Gemini Elf x3
Mystic Tomato x3
Don Zaloog x2
Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer
Sinister Serpent
Magician of Faith
Yata-Garasu
Fiber Jar
Raigeki
Dark Hole
Change of Heart
Snatch Steal
Nobleman of Crossout
Heavy Storm
Harpie's Feather Duster
Mystical Space Typhoon x3
Pot of Greed
Graceful Charity
Delinquent Duo
Confiscation
The Forceful Sentry
Mirage of Nightmare
Monster Reborn
Premature Burial
Imperial Order
Call of the Haunted
Ring of Destruction
Mirror Force
Drop Off x3

And pretty much every deck looked exactly the same as it. and it did exactly the same thing. Except it was worse, because old Yugioh had way LESS answers and far more degenerate power.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

storm is very consistent in MTG, so the bolded part is super wrong

unless you meant it just in relation to the yugioh deck but i think you can see how someone who doesn't know could get a wrong impression

I meant the latter, the actual proper comparison would be... 2x Myr Galvanizer and 2x mana producing Myr. Then using BSZ to mill your opponent for 1+ a million.

Sure, it can work, but 90% of the time you're just going to lose.

Storm is better compared to most Exodia decks which is "I will draw my entire deck and all 5 pieces of Exodia in this one turn or I will concede the game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not sure what I just read, but I think I made a good choice stopping at 5Ds' Dark Signers arc.

To be quite frank? Ephraim just said a lot of poo poo that applies to literally all of Yugioh, and I don't think this is the franchise for him.

If you wish to know Arc-V's actual problems, that's really simple. It's a slower paced show in the beginning which allowed for a lot of slow development for its core cast and watching their growth, had a good ramp into a dramatic season finale... That they failed to capitalize on and basically spun their wheels with for the rest of the series. It has the same issue that a lot of anniversary shows tend to have. Bringing old characters back and not really giving the new ones a chance to shine. I mean when it comes down to it. It's no different than all of the GX cast besides Judai sitting on their thumbs and not doing anything outside of a few duels but well what can you do.

The duels did have a habit of becoming "But you still take the damage" affairs, presumably because someone decided that they'd rather not spend time making fake cards for archetypes that wouldn't exist, and thus kept them to a bare minimum and the final boss was poo poo, no surprise their, that's most Yugioh final bosses. 'Scept Godwin.

Honestly it was an upsetting show that started with high potential and wasted it. Probably like the 3rd best in the franchise after 5Ds (to Dark Signers) and GX (To the end of Society of Light). Zexal is still worse, DM only stands up on its manga interpretation and is otherwise a loving mess in its anime, and yeah. Hear's hoping Vrains is better.

I mean... complaining about cards having souls? Yeah no poo poo, the very first time Duel Monsters was a thing in Yugioh was about the Cards having spirits not to mention God cards that were literal Gods. GX's entire premise was about monster spirits, 5Ds had the reoccurring theme of the 5 Dragons, the Earthbound Gods, and Literally Everything To Do With Ruka. And basically everything to do with Zexal handled Card spirits.

So yeah. Ephraim's basically bitching about... Yugioh the franchise.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Raserys posted:

Hell I'd watch Yugioh Kai, give me duel monsters Death T

I for one wish to watch the Dragon Card game that leads to Yugi losing his soul to a dweeb, and then locking that dweebs soul in a jar, killing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

Why did they have that dumb laser battle? When was that ever established? How come Yami Bakura isn't wearing the eye in battle city?

It wasn't a laser battle in the manga, it was just off-screen. All we really see is Pegasus's dead corpse sitting at a table and Bakura pocketing the eye. As for why he's not wearing it, it requires REPLACING your eye. It would be noticed. He's the spirit of a Thief King.

• Locked thread