Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Nice to see a player who's approaching the game on its own terms. There's a lot of neat touches that I hope you can show off. The Mai Valentine sidequests, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Shame. It looks like you skipped the optional duels with Yugi and Mai.

At some point in the game, probably determined by Locator cards, Yugi is hanging around in the game shop. Beating him at this point earns the Beaver Warrior card.

In the Park, there is a guy looking for Yugi to duel, and he won't duel you unless you tell him. In exchange, he also tells you that that Mai Valentine is at the building. She'll bet a Harpie Lady, but no locator cards. She's a change of pace, as one of the few duelists to use the Mountain field. After this, you can drop by the game shop to hear about how he got his rear end kicked.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I didn't mind the lack of direction that much, because there are only so many places to check for the next plot point. Maybe the idea was to see how things had gone back to normal after the duel assault?

Shame that only the Aquarium and the Art Museum had things to do at this point.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

There's one last secret duel that might be worth looking into, if you go right immediately after entering the Pier. It's nothing compared to the final boss, but it can be the best way to grind up money.

Or you could take a break from TSC then duck back to it before Keith reintroduces himself in the next game.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 6, 2017

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

You're thinking of Keith in Reshef of Destruction. Sphere Mode isn't in this game.

I suppose that kinda makes sense. I feel that there was a better way to handle the plot point about specific cards being important, but whatever.

Do you have to do it at a specific time? I just tried going there at the end of the game and found some random duelists and the Mako Tsunami rematch, and none of them had tons of money.

I said the Right, not the left.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I thought that was how it worked in DDS, but it has been years since I touched the game admittedly.

I can see where that mistake comes from, since DDS uses the term Level when changing a monster's stats.
It's consistent from DDS to Reshef that 1 stat level = 500 Attack and Defense.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Yugi thinks that the player can use Slifer because the two of them could both see the necklace's prophesy. There is no real explanation for why that happened.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Apparently, F.G.D. has a story behind its rise and fall. Not sure why they bothered...

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

MissileWaster posted:

Besides that, 7 years after this game came out we did get Paradox in Bonds Beyond Time! Another character that makes little to no sense and only serves as a minor temporary distraction in the grand scheme of things! (I haven't actually seen that movie, my only knowledge of it comes from the YGO:TAS version)

Paradox is tied in to 5D's late plot. He was part of the final boss' entourage, apparently went off on his own at some point, but shares their goal of preventing Duel monsters from destroying the world, no matter how much of the timeline they have to derail and make worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

It'll always be Joey who stays behind first, and Yugi who takes on the Paradox Brothers. There are other variants to the flashback - besides teaming up with Joey in the beginning, picking the other conversation option now instead has Yugi flashback to Atem's brief appearance after the Bandit Keith battle.

• Locked thread