Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Trying to get ahead of the Switch and Zelda releasing this coming week, I'm recording floors 5-8 tonight.

:frogsiren:

Just when you thought you were safe.

:gonk:

Spoilers, I guess, for the tileset of dungeon levels 5-8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
May God have mercy on your max HP

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Oh yeah, THOSE bastards!

Probably the most evil type of monster in the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvMlL-POIE
The Butcher has a video that plays before he notices you.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

CirclMaster joins me today as we venture down to floor 3, and take on the second boss of the game, the Skeleton King.

---

So speedups in the future will have semi-fitting music from other games in them, and I need your help to pick music to use! While I'd be more than happy to turn this into a "DoubleNegative uses their favorite music from La Mulana and Symphony of the Night" fest, I'm sure that would get old sooner rather than later. So I've blatantly stolen this idea from Artix instead.

https://goo.gl/forms/Xqtr1swCPlJwzt942

That is a link to a Google Form where you can anonymously drop links to youtube videos. If it's not music that will get me a copyright strike, I'll see that it gets added for future speed-up sections.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

First unique monster? Poor Deadeye gets no respect.

The worst Shrine effect you were thinking of is +2 to the Firebolt spell (which is, like, THE most basic spell) while reducing your max Mana by 10%. Others are same penalty, but Holy Bolt spell (which, forgot to mention, absolutely is a spell in Diablo 2 as well) and Charged Bolt.

One should always have a guide open with the Shrine effects, basically. Even if you're only using it for the positive ones that otherwise would be wasted, like identifying all your items.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Holy Bolt spell (which, forgot to mention, absolutely is a spell in Diablo 2 as well)

:stare: Holy poo poo you're right. Shows how long it's been since I played a Paladin in Diablo 2.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I love how casting fire wall illuminates all the area around it, this game was full of nice little details.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I'm not sure if you notice or comment on this later, but the Undead Crown's life leeching only works with melee attacks. So that part of it is of almost no use to a rogue, though it still has defense that won't be matched for a while.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Rogue ventures down to level 4 today in order to retrieve an item stolen from the innkeeper. Featuring Shlapintogan / Bohampscious.

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!
Are you doing 2 and 3 solo as well or in multiplayer?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
In case anyone's curious, if you give the sign to Snotspill instead of taking it back to Ogden, he'll laugh at you then attack with the horde of Dark Ones anyway.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

General Antares posted:

Are you doing 2 and 3 solo as well or in multiplayer?

I'm planning on doing 2 solo, but the nature of 3 allows for drop-in multiplayer. So I won't turn anyone away if they show up to help kill some demons. The videos coming next week are solo, for what it's worth.

whitehelm posted:

In case anyone's curious, if you give the sign to Snotspill instead of taking it back to Ogden, he'll laugh at you then attack with the horde of Dark Ones anyway.

The quest would be a lot more interesting if Snotspill gave a different unique item as a reward for bringing him the "magic banner." Instead, you lose out the best early-game helmet, and a strong contender for one of the best helmets in the first difficulty mode.

+2 to all attributes is already nice, but it straight up reduces all incoming attacks by 1 point of damage.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

The quest would be a lot more interesting if Snotspill gave a different unique item as a reward for bringing him the "magic banner." Instead, you lose out the best early-game helmet, and a strong contender for one of the best helmets in the first difficulty mode.

+2 to all attributes is already nice, but it straight up reduces all incoming attacks by 1 point of damage.

When would the decrease in armor rating it gives be a problem? Or what does it affect.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

nielsm posted:

When would the decrease in armor rating it gives be a problem? Or what does it affect.

I think all it does is just decrease our armor value by 3. We're going to get an upgrade on floor 5 that gives a high amount of armor, so the -3 is almost immediately offset. We realistically won't be feeling the -3 until somewhere between floors 8 and 10.

I've actually got a helmet stashed away for the super late game that has a bunch of resistances on it. So my goal is to make the Harlequin Crest last until that point.

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm planning on doing 2 solo, but the nature of 3 allows for drop-in multiplayer. So I won't turn anyone away if they show up to help kill some demons. The videos coming next week are solo, for what it's worth.

Cool I'll try to join you for that when you get to it. Though like you mentioned in the episode that'll be awhile.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Good ol' Shako.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Today we make a brief side-trip to Diablo 3 to experience the 20th anniversary event that ran through all of January. Yapping Eevee joins again for this one.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Goku ventures into level 2 of the Diablo 3 anniversary event, and I, badly, try to explain to CirclMastr why Diablo 3 is fun.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Whoa how did this guy slip by me. I always like a good Diablo LP.

DoubleNegative your PMs aren't working, is there still room to sign up for commentary?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

Whoa how did this guy slip by me. I always like a good Diablo LP.

DoubleNegative your PMs aren't working, is there still room to sign up for commentary?

My PMs should be working. :confused:

Anyway, yeah there's still plenty of room. I meant to get commentary for 5-8 recorded last week, and then Zelda happened (and is still happening). So I haven't gotten anything recorded yet.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Direct Link

Goku ventures into level 2 of the Diablo 3 anniversary event, and I, badly, try to explain to CirclMastr why Diablo 3 is fun.
Let me try for anyone watching. Key to understanding Diablo 3's on paper weird-rear end level scaling is that originally, the game tried to do things normally, Diablo 2 style, and it failed at that. It already had the gameplay of a slick, flexible, super dynamic action game, but STILL wanted, no, needed the player to farm for hours and hours with very low drop chances to get gear to even come close to progressing further in the highest difficulty. Inferno was stupidly unfun to play and drew a lot of flak, very deservedly. I still liked the game in general because I've never been one to push Diablo to the limits - I have probably started at least 30 characters in Diablo 2 but brought at max TWO of them above level 80 - so I'd just start a new char class in D3 and hosed around with that. But for many people, something was deeply wrong because D3 didn't really know what it wanted to be at all.

This is why they introduced the level scaling thing. See, the key issue with challenge in a Diablo game is that it doesn't actually need to be there. People spent ages figuring out the absolute best ways to farm bosses and levels (so...more bosses) and cows and poo poo in Diablo 2 so they could avoid challenge - make characters better and better and better and drive the numbers up so everything dies from you looking at it funny! That is why you play these hack&slash games, they're not meant to be Dark Souls difficult, you just want to mutilate thousands of demons in milliseconds.

But on the OTHER hand, Diablo 2 had always the problem of where to go next. Once your build was finished, you could only push numbers further, and that meant optimizing some items slots that were 99.999% perfect anyway, and get some more stats that honestly mattered jackshit, and so on. The endgame was terrible unless you were REALLY into Baal runs because you could do nothing BUT endlessly farm - and that is truly not everybody's cookie.

Enter The Solution: level scaling and adjustable difficulty. Diablo 3 is completely removed from being a standard RPG now. In fact, it no longer needs a story mode. If you have finished that once, you can start a new character, put it in the new Adventure Mode that everyone plays at, and just go wherever, immediately. This is how you fight the final boss at level 1 - you just go there. Everytime you start the game, there's different objectives you can finish in the entire game world, and those "bounties" give you rewards mostly in the form of items - one legendary (Unique) guaranteed. You can gamble for set and legendary items with a VERY high chance. You can MAKE legendaries with a simple recipe.

The idea is you start the game and within one or two play sessions, you are at max level, and within another play session you have half of a super endgame set and the best weapon (sans uber stats!) you could possibly have. You can have any build you want with just a few hours of investment, you no longer have to farm for months just to trade for ONE item (which, in D2's case, might just be duped). In fact, you can't trade at all anymore. You will find your poo poo though, guaranteed.

Then you experiment, because you can switch your build anytime. Element, as said, doesn't matter. Fire char? Whatever. Nothing's immune. Bored of setting things on fire? A few clicks, and you freeze them instead. Found an amazing Arcane weapon? Do that instead! And while you're toying, you slowly get better and better stuff. You finish the endgame set. And you gain levels beyond the normal maximum, that raise you stats sloooooowly but surely higher and higher and higher.

NOW you start challenging yourself. You can put the difficulty as high as you want. It's not just Normal, Nightmare and Hell - the scale has NO UPPER END. Can you finish a bounty run on Torment level 50? Can you survive against crazy Uber bosses for sick drops in a group of four people...at Torment 40? Do you want to risk it? How high does the slider go? Will this new ring allow you to put one more notch on it?

As you can see, Diablo 3 has gone full arcade, and I love it for that. It's now completely different from D2, and that's a good thing - everything that was like D2 dragged it down because it always wanted to be its own thing. Now it finally is, and it owns. Slice those monsters, push those Torment levels. Just don't worry about "ugh but my levels don't matter anymore???" - that's the point!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Man, the thing that always cheesed me off the most about D2 was the miserly drop rates on everything. I had a friend who once calculated that if he wanted to find a certain rune without playing multiplayer, he'd have to play for literal weeks of in-game time doing nothing but grinding the best rune drop spot. And that was just the rarest of the multiple rare runes needed to make the runeword he wanted.

It's like, even ignoring the "grind for ages to get the theoretically best possible item", just being able to see any version of the upper two-thirds of the unique and set items required you to grind for ages and ages and ages. In my entire "career" of playing D2 for years, including a decent amount of time on Hell difficulty, I saw one Goldstrike Arch and one Shako and that was it for tier-3 uniques.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

One problem with D3 though is that the end game consists of nothing but endless rift runs for higher torment difficulties and that's it. And it's somewhat obvious that the devs have no idea what to really do as well with the game considering the latest addition is simply another tier of Ancients and that seems to be it.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Just finished getting all of my characters to level 70 in Diablo 3.

That's the good news. The bad news is it's on the PS3, which means I do not get all of the cool updates and I feel kinda gypped about the whole thing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

One problem with D3 though is that the end game consists of nothing but endless rift runs for higher torment difficulties and that's it. And it's somewhat obvious that the devs have no idea what to really do as well with the game considering the latest addition is simply another tier of Ancients and that seems to be it.
What do you propose they DO do? I don't care for the rift runs, so I just start getting the equipment for a new build, maybe even start a new character because I still haven't played them all. I do realize that some people have already played every character to their max level, gotten every single set with amazing stats, have all the unique items cubed, and those people, yes, they can JUST do rift runs and "that's it". But is that really a problem? For anyone playing in a semi-sane way, there's always something else to do. Hell, if you're really bored, play Hardcore. Or, heavens forbid, a different game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Simply Simon posted:

What do you propose they DO do? I don't care for the rift runs, so I just start getting the equipment for a new build, maybe even start a new character because I still haven't played them all. I do realize that some people have already played every character to their max level, gotten every single set with amazing stats, have all the unique items cubed, and those people, yes, they can JUST do rift runs and "that's it". But is that really a problem? For anyone playing in a semi-sane way, there's always something else to do. Hell, if you're really bored, play Hardcore. Or, heavens forbid, a different game.

Honestly, I wish they'd implement that PVP idea they had. I guess it wouldn't really mesh well with all the various abilities and items they've thrown at players for years now, but still, its the one promise I wish they hadn't broken. :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

What do you propose they DO do?

Well that's the other problem in this case isn't it? What do you do for extra content aside from adding extra classes that provides a different playing experience? Do you add extra monsters or areas or do you try do something different?

I assume that's why Diablo seems to be on the backburner for Blizzard a bit. They've made the core game solid enough that they're struggling to expand upon it in a meaningful way. But at the same time they have to give it some kind of support to motivate people to play.

I do hope that they come up with something in the future because I do enjoy playing D3 (Beam wizard. :shopkeeper:) but I've hit the point where it's more monotony than fun even if I crank up the difficulty.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Excuse me but the canon name for the male Monk is Kharazim not Goku, thank you.

:goonsay:

I can't believe I missed this event because of Nigthold it looked like a lot of fun to kill time to.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Kinda pisses me off that I didn't learn about it 'til it was already over. Why did you not make it a year-long event, Blizzard.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Are they still adding the necromancer to D3 as DLC (Diabloadable content)

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Skippy Granola posted:

They haven't said anything about canceling it, so presumably it's still gonna happen eventually. And with Blizzard, "eventually" can mean a very long time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

From what I remember of Blizzcon it's not slated to come out until mid point this year or something.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Bohampscious / Shlapintogan joins me again as Goku enters floor 3 and fights King Leoric again, except with a painfully slow weapon.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Don't you loving talk poo poo about the Crusader you wretched knave :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Crusader's amazing, and I hated Paladins in D2. The only class I don't really like in D3 is Barbarian, don't even really know why. Something about their playing rhythm.

Also, I always wanted to play a Thorns build but it was never good, and then Blizzard massively buffed Thorns by giving many classes dedicated skill runes to play off Thorns damage, and so the last time I played D3 in earnest, I could play a Thorns Crusader and was so loving happy. You can have a THORN HORSE and throw THORN BARRELS from the sky!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Gosh yeah thirded. I really liked my crusader playthrough - all the attacks are super crunchy and good AOE.

And GHOST HORSE

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

making GBS threads on the Crusader will just condemn you to an eternity of shields slamming your face from every possible angle.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

Crusader's amazing, and I hated Paladins in D2.

Paladin was my first class in D2. My only "AoE" was their rapid-attack skill (Zeal?) and I didn't realize you could put it on LMB, so it was mutually-exclusive with auras. The last three acts were a massive slog of hiding in a corner and slowly wearing down enemies while spamming healing potions. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Oh Iron Maiden procs against Zealadins :allears:

• Locked thread