Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Skippy Granola posted:

Oh Iron Maiden procs against Zealadins :allears:

Yeah, I just remember those damned impi or whatever..."smashsmashsmashsmash-FUCKI'mDead.*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, I just remember those damned impi or whatever..."smashsmashsmashsmash-FUCKI'mDead.*

What I remember the most was constantly dying to Lord De Seis in Chaos Sanctuary, the fucker who casted iron maiden. God, that loving game hated melee characters.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Angry Lobster posted:

What I remember the most was constantly dying to Lord De Seis in Chaos Sanctuary, the fucker who casted iron maiden. God, that loving game hated melee characters.

The developers removing the ability of monsters to cast Iron Maiden made the end parts of that game so much more playable.

Nordick posted:

Don't you loving talk poo poo about the Crusader you wretched knave :colbert:

:shobon: I really wanted to give Crusader an honest shot for the run that eventually became Goku's. I got all the way down to the third floor, to King Leoric's chamber, even. The thing about Leoric in this event is, he's actually pretty difficult, hands down the hardest boss we'll face. Bad luck meant that coming into the boss fight, I didn't have the gear necessary to kill skeletons before more were raised. It's something I didn't really touch on in the video, but he's a pretty tight damage check, and if you fail then you'll slowly get overwhelmed by more and more skeletons.

It was a pretty bad death and not worth the mounting frustration.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Psh, I took him out as a melee demon hunter. Who leveled up mid fight replacing his attack with a ranged only skill.

It took way, way too long. I just wanted to whip out the butchers cleaver like old times!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

It's Thursday morning, so that means it's time for the last adventure of Goku for a while. Down to floor 4 with CirclMastr once again.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Simply Simon posted:

Let me try for anyone watching. Key to understanding Diablo 3's on paper weird-rear end level scaling is that originally, the game tried to do things normally, Diablo 2 style, and it failed at that. It already had the gameplay of a slick, flexible, super dynamic action game, but STILL wanted, no, needed the player to farm for hours and hours with very low drop chances to get gear to even come close to progressing further in the highest difficulty. Inferno was stupidly unfun to play and drew a lot of flak, very deservedly. I still liked the game in general because I've never been one to push Diablo to the limits - I have probably started at least 30 characters in Diablo 2 but brought at max TWO of them above level 80 - so I'd just start a new char class in D3 and hosed around with that. But for many people, something was deeply wrong because D3 didn't really know what it wanted to be at all.

This is why they introduced the level scaling thing. See, the key issue with challenge in a Diablo game is that it doesn't actually need to be there. People spent ages figuring out the absolute best ways to farm bosses and levels (so...more bosses) and cows and poo poo in Diablo 2 so they could avoid challenge - make characters better and better and better and drive the numbers up so everything dies from you looking at it funny! That is why you play these hack&slash games, they're not meant to be Dark Souls difficult, you just want to mutilate thousands of demons in milliseconds.

But on the OTHER hand, Diablo 2 had always the problem of where to go next. Once your build was finished, you could only push numbers further, and that meant optimizing some items slots that were 99.999% perfect anyway, and get some more stats that honestly mattered jackshit, and so on. The endgame was terrible unless you were REALLY into Baal runs because you could do nothing BUT endlessly farm - and that is truly not everybody's cookie.

Enter The Solution: level scaling and adjustable difficulty. Diablo 3 is completely removed from being a standard RPG now. In fact, it no longer needs a story mode. If you have finished that once, you can start a new character, put it in the new Adventure Mode that everyone plays at, and just go wherever, immediately. This is how you fight the final boss at level 1 - you just go there. Everytime you start the game, there's different objectives you can finish in the entire game world, and those "bounties" give you rewards mostly in the form of items - one legendary (Unique) guaranteed. You can gamble for set and legendary items with a VERY high chance. You can MAKE legendaries with a simple recipe.

The idea is you start the game and within one or two play sessions, you are at max level, and within another play session you have half of a super endgame set and the best weapon (sans uber stats!) you could possibly have. You can have any build you want with just a few hours of investment, you no longer have to farm for months just to trade for ONE item (which, in D2's case, might just be duped). In fact, you can't trade at all anymore. You will find your poo poo though, guaranteed.

Then you experiment, because you can switch your build anytime. Element, as said, doesn't matter. Fire char? Whatever. Nothing's immune. Bored of setting things on fire? A few clicks, and you freeze them instead. Found an amazing Arcane weapon? Do that instead! And while you're toying, you slowly get better and better stuff. You finish the endgame set. And you gain levels beyond the normal maximum, that raise you stats sloooooowly but surely higher and higher and higher.

NOW you start challenging yourself. You can put the difficulty as high as you want. It's not just Normal, Nightmare and Hell - the scale has NO UPPER END. Can you finish a bounty run on Torment level 50? Can you survive against crazy Uber bosses for sick drops in a group of four people...at Torment 40? Do you want to risk it? How high does the slider go? Will this new ring allow you to put one more notch on it?

As you can see, Diablo 3 has gone full arcade, and I love it for that. It's now completely different from D2, and that's a good thing - everything that was like D2 dragged it down because it always wanted to be its own thing. Now it finally is, and it owns. Slice those monsters, push those Torment levels. Just don't worry about "ugh but my levels don't matter anymore???" - that's the point!

I'd be interested to know more about exactly when this happened. I loved D3 on release (before any of the nerfs to Inferno - I was playing a Barbarian and had to go full defensive everything and stunlock enemies with bull rush or whatever that shield charge attack was called. Cleared A3 Inferno!) and then I guess during that transitional period when they were trying to figure out how to make the game fun I quit playing because they had already sorted the "nothing is really difficult" part without having made the game open ended and arcadey enough. This was pre-expansion, shortly after they added prestige levels and monster power or whatever the gently caress it was called. I remember farming the same areas in A3 and A4 and it felt just like farming in D2 except you didn't have the fun of knowing when a particular unique drops it's actually going to be good and worth having. In fact virtually nothing worth having ever dropped, the AH was saturated with really good loot at low prices and then the top tiny percentage of set items and extremely well rolled uniques cost rediculously massive amounts of gold. I moved over to PoE until they kind of doubled down on the character building complexity with each new patch and I got sick and tired because all I really wanted was to make an effective build that didn't require trading with other players.

I also got a little salty because if I had been less attached to actually playing the game, the items I had acquired pre nerf were worth a lot of cash on the RMAH but I never sold anything. I'm glad they ditched that dumb loving idea.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 18, 2017

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Sorry for the late reply, I simply forgot for a while that you had asked a question :shobon:.

I don't know the timeframe, because I too had stopped playing for a bit. I vividly remember the terrible period when farming the highly-populated areas of Act 3 was the best thing to do, simply because more enemies, no matter how weak, meant the most chances for Legendaries to drop because the drop rates for boss enemies were higher, but still comically low. You also only had a few very specialized builds that could even do that sort of speedfarming; I got a single great item which I could sell for a lot of gold and kitted out a Wizard that did nothing but spam spells to lower cooldowns to spam more spells, so I was basically just hammering buttons as fast as I could until my fingers burned. That was completely unfun (and later even got nerfed) and I just stopped playing for a good while.

At some point later my friends then told me that there had been a massive overhaul, that Adventure mode was super cool and good, and that they were starting the new ladder and we should do that together and I got back into the game. They were right, it's insanely better now. That was probably the biggest change, I want to say one or one and a half years ago? Maybe even a little longer. After that came smaller, but also very welcome changes like the ability to extract unique powers from Legendary Items (stuff like "your Monk kick now also spawns a highly-damaging Fireball when you do it" or "burning enemies take 20% more damage"), so you could destroy a bad Legendary with a good ability to extract that power, slap it passively onto you, wear a great Legendary with an okay ability and have both of them at the same time (so each kick does a Fireball to burn enemies that then take more damage). Legendaries even having interesting abilities to enable creative builds is also a new thing, of course, but now it's really kicked into overdrive. And you get so many of them that you can actually toy around. I started the game fresh on PS4 about two weeks ago, playing after work, and am now rocking a Monk (got inspired by the thread after all...) whose Tempest Rush gets extra crit chance if hitting 3 or fewer enemies (so...a single boss, for example), also does more damage to frozen enemies, and I got gloves who make it that I got a 50% chance to freeze enemies when damaging them with Cold. My Tempest Rush does Cold damage. And I'm just starting out; soon I will change the build completely because I'm finding pieces of a set that lets me apply Exploding Palm to enemies just by hitting them three times with Spirit Generators (a single full combo), and also use Seven-Sided Strike to immediately trigger the explosion.

The set needs a helm, and there is another helm that makes it so Seven-Sided Strike also applies Exploding Palm; but I can just extract the power of the latter, put it on me and still wear the full set. It's nuts, but so loving good.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Pretty sure the biggest game changer was the Reaper of Souls expansion that introduced Adventure mode to the game. Before that it had just been under the skin changes to the system I believe like increasing drop rates and so on.
This aside from removing the auction house obviously.
It shouldn't be too hard looking through the game's patch history to see how the game changed early on.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The thing that annoyed me about Diablo 3 - and I'm well aware that there's those who will say it's a petty thing to get upset about - was the stat boosts offered by armour. In Diablo 1&2, if you found a piece of gear that was two or three points of armour better than what you were currently wearing, that was a huge deal. In two especially, +1 to the right skill could make or break a build. Then Diablo 3 comes along and the numbers are inflated to the point of being meaningless. Even the squishiest class in D3 winds up with five-figure HP totals, whereas in D2, it was very hard to get more than 1000 HP without serious item twinking. After a while, I stopped paying attention to anything other than watching for which arrows turned a happy green colour when comparing gear. Half the fun in D2 was trawling for new and better gear, but Diablo 3 just took all the fun out of it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Today Rogue leaves the upper floors of the dungeon and enters a new area. YappingEevee is also here to discuss Torchlight.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure the biggest game changer was the Reaper of Souls expansion that introduced Adventure mode to the game. Before that it had just been under the skin changes to the system I believe like increasing drop rates and so on.
This aside from removing the auction house obviously.
It shouldn't be too hard looking through the game's patch history to see how the game changed early on.

Reaper of Souls added 10 levels to player progression, a new act, a new class, adventure mode, cheevos, etc etc. The Auction House was removed before that ever showed up, iirc, but the real game changer was when Blizzard patched out their incredibly lovely drop system, because ALL drops were affected the same way when generating stats on identification, so you could end up with, say, a set item for a Barbarian but that had amazing stats for... a wizard. Like, the main stat would be intelligence, so it was worthless. Legendaries didn't feel very good and they were used mainly because set items sucked anyways, but they also had very little going for them.

Also, adding the enchantress who can, for a price, let you reroll a stat on an item was a huge game changer.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I figured the start of the whole gameplay change happened inbetween the removal of the auction house and RoS being released.

Also that whole thing has always been a problem with ARPGs I think. Been replaying Kingdom of Amalur recently and it also has some huge issues with gear drops never really being good enough to warrant swapping things out. At least not in comparison to like D3 where you can do a lot of gear changes pretty rapidly if you're lucky.
Not to mention having the same issue when I played Dungeon Siege 1 where decent upgrades where amazingly rare occurrences which really didn't feel all that satisfying. Same with DS2 for that part.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, adding the enchantress who can, for a price, let you reroll a stat on an item was a huge game changer.

Not to mention being able to transmogrify your gear for that part. So nice when you want to keep your appearance cohesive. The recent changes to dyes were also really nice back when I played.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Funny you mention Torchlight because I was actually thinking of picking the original back up, played it a little bit years ago and liked it but wasn't anywhere close to finishing it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Hey Eevee imagine if your Hek had durability.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

DoubleNegative posted:

Direct Link

Today Rogue leaves the upper floors of the dungeon and enters a new area. YappingEevee is also here to discuss Torchlight.

when it comes to the Catacombs instead of them being "monster closets" we have "goat rooms" :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Funny you mention Torchlight because I was actually thinking of picking the original back up, played it a little bit years ago and liked it but wasn't anywhere close to finishing it.

I tried replaying Torchlight 2 a while ago but only got midway through the first act until I dropped it out of pretty much boredom. The assessment that it is Diablo 2 is not wrong at all but at the same time it feels kind of repetitive after a while because the abilities have no Power to them and you just end up doing normal attacks and then maybe one of the two powers you put points into.
The only thing I can give to it is that the idea with pets is nice and having an ability to sell stuff off without having to go back is good.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Cooked Auto posted:

Not to mention being able to transmogrify your gear for that part. So nice when you want to keep your appearance cohesive. The recent changes to dyes were also really nice back when I played.

You just reminded me of my bright pink exploding chicken witch doctor I played once, so thanks.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Zenithe posted:

You just reminded me of my bright pink exploding chicken witch doctor I played once, so thanks.

Okay, I'm going to have to ask. What items did you need to get THAT one?

I'm guessing one component is that chicken-summoning bow, but what's the other element?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

DoubleNegative posted:

Direct Link

Aw man Valor was a game changer. It's the first piece of medium armour you're likely to find until about floor 6.

The character model change is nice too but TBH I think the sorcerer's gear sets look cooler.

Rogue sadly just gets beefier lingerie

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Cangelosi posted:

Okay, I'm going to have to ask. What items did you need to get THAT one?

I'm guessing one component is that chicken-summoning bow, but what's the other element?

You get the Manajuma's Way set of a voodoo knife and it's matching Mojo (which is a chicken). It gives your Hex spell the Angry Chicken ability, which turns you into said chicken and sets your running speed to about 10x normal until you cancel the hex. Upon cancelling it, you explode back into your normal form, doing usually a small amount of damage, but another one of the sets that I can't remember that gives an absolutely ungodly damage buff to it.

End result is Turn into chicken -> find large group of enemies -> explode as chicken right in the middle -> kill most things in one shot.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Bohapmscious / Shlapintogan returns once again for floor 6. Also included is the last proper quest Rogue will have in the catacombs, the Chamber of Bone.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
YOU CAN DO IT YOU CAN DO IT!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh god, after that song coming up I foresee that song coming up. What movie was that from, I think Transformers?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
WELCOME TO THE BONE ZONE!

God, watching you comb through this, I can't believe how many hours I spent playing this game as a kid. It's all so janky in retrospect.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

oh god, after that song coming up I foresee that song coming up. What movie was that from, I think Transformers?

The Black Knight 2000 music from this past video?

It's from the pinball table of the same name.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Ranged combat doesn't really work in Diablo, does it? I don't know if it's because you can't move while shooting or the enemies are too fast or what, but most of the time you just end up right in the enemy's face anyway. I played an Amazon the same way.

You can go in intending to be skillful and manage your spacing, but after about five minutes it's like why even bother.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

magikid posted:

Ranged combat doesn't really work in Diablo, does it? I don't know if it's because you can't move while shooting or the enemies are too fast or what, but most of the time you just end up right in the enemy's face anyway. I played an Amazon the same way.

You can go in intending to be skillful and manage your spacing, but after about five minutes it's like why even bother.

It's great as long as they are walking towards you in one of the cardinal directions. Usually you can manoeuvre it to do the most damage to the most enemies.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Melee combat also requires proper positioning and spacing, it's just different. Especially later you can't just expect to tank everything unless you build your character juuuust right, and even early on with a melee dude you'd be well served to lure enemies into coming at you in a straight line, blocking doorways and even swinging at the air so they run into your weapon, dying before even getting a chance to hit you. It's less about getting the angle correct, it's all about where to make your stand at all. Considering you can't RUN and most enemies are as quick as you are, it's...a challenge, sometimes.

Also, my first run with a Warrior ended when facing down lightning-lobbing assholes on the other side of a river of flame; I couldn't do anything to even get to them and that kinda was IT. You really need a plan B for that, and the Rogue just laughs and starts shooting instead.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The warrior has a super hard time in the later levels, too much assholes with magic and super tough metal dudes coming at you. My favourite was the sorcerer, you just keep up the mana shield up, and you can pretty much replace all your health pots with blue ones and fireball everything with extreme prejudice.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Also, my first run with a Warrior ended when facing down lightning-lobbing assholes on the other side of a river of flame; I couldn't do anything to even get to them and that kinda was IT. You really need a plan B for that, and the Rogue just laughs and starts shooting instead.

I ended up in a similar situation as a warrior in the caverns with those poison spitting assholes. I bought the best bow I could equip and fired until into space until they died. The warrior is.... not good with the bow.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

I ended up in a similar situation as a warrior in the caverns with those poison spitting assholes. I bought the best bow I could equip and fired until into space until they died. The warrior is.... not good with the bow.

If I recall correctly, each class has "attack speed" modifications for each of melee, bow, and spell. Warrior has the fastest melee, middling bow, and slow spellcasting, rogue swaps melee/bow, and wizard...I don't know what their melee/bow look like but they probably suck. :v: Anyway, point is that the warrior isn't awful with a bow and in fact will probably need to rely on one semi-frequently in the later levels. Especially if the level has succubi on it.

The real problem with using a bow as the warrior is that there's no fast weapon switching in the game. You have to go into your inventory, unequip your weapon/shield, equip the bow, kill things, unequip bow, and equip weapon/shield. Then do it all over again when you find another succubus.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

No quests on floor 7, so instead me and Zeratanis shoot the poo poo for 12 minutes.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

DoubleNegative posted:

Direct Link

No quests on floor 7, so instead me and Zeratanis shoot the poo poo for 12 minutes.

The actual theme song Queen did that Zeratanis was talking about

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vlTE6hBm7s

Probably relevant as we move along in the history of Tristam.

"We will NOT do what Farnham says! Farnham is a DRUNK!"

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I recall correctly, each class has "attack speed" modifications for each of melee, bow, and spell. Warrior has the fastest melee, middling bow, and slow spellcasting, rogue swaps melee/bow, and wizard...I don't know what their melee/bow look like but they probably suck. :v: Anyway, point is that the warrior isn't awful with a bow and in fact will probably need to rely on one semi-frequently in the later levels. Especially if the level has succubi on it.

The real problem with using a bow as the warrior is that there's no fast weapon switching in the game. You have to go into your inventory, unequip your weapon/shield, equip the bow, kill things, unequip bow, and equip weapon/shield. Then do it all over again when you find another succubus.

The best weapon to equip for a wizard in Diablo 1--at least for the first four floors, when money, mana, blue potions and decent spells are in short supply--is in fact a shield.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Rogue finishes her journey through the catacombs today and meets one of the game's weirder "quests." Featuring special guest star Aces High.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I hope everyone enjoyed "quests" while they lasted because there's only 2 left until the endgame, one on 9/10 (you get both if Zhar is missing) and one on 13/14.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Rogue is halfway through the dungeon, so for now let's switch to Goku and catch him up. YappingEevee is also back for floor 5 of the Diablo 3 catacombs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

True, in Titan Quest, because every mob drops their weapon on death, the ground gets littered with useless semi-broken swords that are barely worth their material. On the other hand, it's not really a problem because the game does have a feature to simply filter out/make unclickable all those worthless drops, and that's enabled by default. In the end it works out as just a nice component to the atmosphere, in that equipment of the fallen really does not just disappear, and that the dropped weapons are not just part of the corpse model, but an object in its own right.
I thought it was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I'm recording the next four floors and I'm having some difficulties. Enough so that I'm taking a small break so that I don't get Mad At Video Games.

So here's a small video I threw together while eating dinner for you all to enjoy. I call it "Floor 10 is loving brutal."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_DBkv-p9Hw

• Locked thread