Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't think they'd allow a man that hairy on TV anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

punchymcpunch posted:

niles > frasier

Frasier is the only Crane to be played by a straight actor, that's why he's the worst.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

cumshitter posted:

the dog was gay????

I don't know about that for sure. I do know that when they switched from Moose to Enzo was when I was done with Frasier

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

zegermans posted:

Attack on Titan season 2 lookin good

They aren't going to get to the basement in season 2

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

zegermans posted:

nah it'll probably end with Reiner vs. Eren

You mean when they go to fix the hole in Wall Maria?

That's pretty loving optimistic of you

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

zegermans posted:

No the first time directly after the dancing titan castle fight . I'm being pessimistic.

Oh yeah, I forgot this season is 12 episodes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I really appreciate that the Senran Kagura series is always experimenting with new types of gameplay.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yinlock posted:

i mean the usa voters were already given that choice and apparently they are super into child molestation

There was a poll that showed that 5% of Clinton voters thought Pizzagate was at least possible

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thump! posted:

I mean, theoretically, it was at least possible.

And, in all fairness, I voted for Clinton and I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that the DNC weren't all child rapists.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

Fermi paradox really bothers me btw

The Fermi paradox is bullshit, don't get me started

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

Where are they then ?

Really loving far away! Do you have any idea how big space is? Space is so loving huge, I can't even/ On Earth, one planet, that is covered in people and surrounded by CIA spy satellites, air planes can go missing. The distance between the earth and the moon is so far, you could fit twenty more earths between them. That's just to the moon. The fastest artificial object ever built, the Voyager space probe, is moving 40 miles a minute. That's really loving fast. But for the fastest artificial thing ever to go from the Earth to the closest star, would take longer than humans have had written language. And that's to make it to one star. And that's one-way. To one star. Do you have any idea how many stars there are? And all but one of them are even further away than that star.

And don't let those SETI dipshits trick you, radio waves degrade. They don't last forever in space. weak rear end radio signals aen't going to make it in recognizable forms out to the edge of the galaxy, that's a sci-fi lie. And our radio signals are going a lot less far than they used to, since we figured out how to bounce them off the ionosphere to make them go further on earth, that severely reduced their power outside our atmosphere.

So aliens are out there, but we'll never know, and they'll never know about us, because space is too big.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

All this is true

Any alien civilization would be either more advanced than us, or humans are the most advanced species ever ( which would cause euphronius a similar level of discomfort I suspect)

If there exists a civ more advanced wouldn't they have circumvented a lot of the problems you're describing?

Or I guess it's just that we're too far away in a hidden pocket of space for any of them, if they existed, to bother looking here

But then you take in account how perfect conditions for life are here. Wouldn't that stand out?

Circumvented the problems I'm describing? How do you circumvent the fact that the distance between stars is unimaginably vast? Interstellar travel is so impractical, it's practically impossible.

The thing about space is, it's so big every pocket of space is basically a hidden pocket of space. If aliens had sent their own Voyager out into space, and it had passed just two or three star systems away from Earth, that's far enough away that it wouldn't have been able to detect us.

And the conditions for life are perfect on Earth because the life on Earth evolved to find those conditions perfect. For all we know the aliens could be talking about how life could never have evolved on their planet without the perfect conditions of ammonia oceans and methane atmosphere

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

We would not be able to detect a human level intelligence unless they were broadcasting at us. True . Radio does degrade but we could transmit now to the nearest stars

We don't see evidence of super advanced intelligence tho . And they haven't visited is . Space is big but also time is long. There is more than enough time to travel around and colonize.

Travel around and colonize? Reality isn't Star Trek. The closest star to us is Alpha Centauri. It's four light years away. If we had the ability to make a space ship that could travel at half light speed, which be the greatest engineering feat ever, it would take eight years to get there. Building a space ship that could safely transport a group of humans large enough to have a sufficiently diverse genetic pool for a succesful colony for eight years through space between stars would be the greatest engineering challenge mankind has ever faced, times fifty. A one way trip to the closest star would be the most difficult challenge humanity has ever faced. And a second trip to another star wouldn't be much easier. The idea that if aliens existed they would surely be doing that regularly is born purely out of science fiction

Typo posted:

so the great filter basically, either we are past it (and will prob go colonize space) or we aren't (we'll blow ourselves up just like the millions of other civilizations which existed since the universe was young)

THE GREAT FILTER IS BULLSHIT. THERE IS ZERO EVIDENCE FOR THE GREAT FILTER. It's just some poo poo a sad European in early atomic age nihilism said, and people repeat it because the dude was smart about other stuff

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
"We know that aliens aren't real because we've never seen evidence of a Dyson sphere around a sun and we know for a fact that the end point of all planetary civilizations is a Dyson Sphere" - a thing a Fermi Paradox adherent actually said to me once.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

given the sheer amount of media we produce about shooting aliens and given that aliens wouldn't have the cultural context to comprehend them into, as well as not having human intelligence, any cursory analysis of our output comes to a quite justifiable conclusion that humans are genocidally violent

What if they like that? What if the closest thing to an accurate representation of aliens is the Orks in Warhammer 40,000?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

yeah but if some civilization had like a zillion years to do something wouldn't they at least send like 1 unmanned craft somewhere we can see it I mean we sent out voyager which in a million years or something might get somewhere why can't they just have a bunch of probes or something which are unmanned but just drift in space for like 100 million years and send out radiowaves or something

yeah you are right ftl prob isn't possible and there's prob never gonna be super space empire with 100000000 star systems

They could send out millions of probes, and there's still a good chance none of them would be close enough for us to see them. Space is really, really, really, really big. It is literally unfathomably huge.

And in the very small chance that one actually did come close enough to Earth for us to detect it, radio waves were discovered in 1895. So if aliens did build out and send millions of probes saying "we are here" and one of them passed by Earth, oh poo poo it passed by us in 1903 and nobody manning any of the seven radios in the world at the time realized something important was happening.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Concerned Citizen posted:

honestly of all the ways you could die, a nuclear fireball doesn't seem so bad. hell, i'm looking forward to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
a draft wouldn't work today because all the kids are so fat

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agronox posted:

it would work. you can get rid of fat.

back in ww2 there were more serious issues--malnutrition, horrendous dental hygiene, mountain people being hosed up in all sorts of ways--and the draft still did its thing.

it was one of the reasons, though, that eisenhower and kennedy started things like the president's commission on fitness, free school lunches, etc., because a lot of those boys were complete messes in the 40s. today they're fat and under exercised and gamergaters but otherwise okay.

So maybe a draft would be a good thing, if it got everybody in shape

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does NK even have the ability to do do any real damage to Japan

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yinlock posted:

i mean the thing with nukes is that they don't have to aim

That's not actually true. You gotta aim a nuke, man.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm confused by the mixture of Sentai and Power Rangers

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

rear end cobra posted:

Please Kim, make anime go away

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hamelekim posted:

99% of anime takes place between middle and high school and sucks. There are maybe two manga that are set at that age level which don't suck.

My friend have you read Dorohedoro?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
We're all gonna feel really silly for poo poo talking Trump when he's the American President who finally wins the Korean War.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't get being excited for Star Wars movies anymore. The prequels proved that Star Wars can be bad, and now Disney made Star Wars routine. There's nothing special about Star Wars anymore

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sir Tonk posted:

https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/852904852162301953

The Texas leg is on a roll this year. Now they want to remove all property controls from city governments.

loving lol if anybody thinks that any force on earth can do more than slow the transformation of every scrap of land inside of 610 into townhomes and Crossfit gyms

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I read some Star Wars books when I was a kid, they were about Han Solo's Jedi kids, and the son really wanted to band this one armed savage Jedi Red Sonja chick, and I also wanted to bang her

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fidel Castronaut posted:

yeah, that role was too iconic. i remember renting the guyver? some real bad movie he was in and it just was impossible because he was luke and couldn't be anything else to me and i imagine that's what a lot of casting directors thought. it's really impressive that he was able to pull a second iconic role out with joker, who now i compare any joker voice too, usually negatively because he's really good as joker.

i kinda think he might be a better actor in general now than he was when he was a dumb kid?

Try watching Guyver 2, where even if you don't recognize the main guy's face, every now and then you'll hear something in his voice and eventually realize it's Solid Snake

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This Korean stream is nothing but ads

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
and now I want some Kannu Latte

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

cumshitter posted:

i live in hollywoo and have successful actor relatives. not famous but successful like you would probably recognize them if i showed you a picture

One time i went to one of their parties and i was like "oh poo poo! You're the guy from OOPS!" which was a 90's sitcom about people living in a house after the world ended when there was a military parade complete with icey bms with nuclear warheads that all launched because a child was playing with his rc car nearby and one of the buttons was also the launch codes

we shared a beer and laughed about how dumb 90s sitcom setups were but now we live in the potential OOPS! timeline with our moron child president

I can find no evidence that this show existed. It's not listed on Wikipedia or IMDB.

Why did you make up a 90s sitcom?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Now I'm mad at IMDB for not showing Oops! when you search for Oops

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waitaminute, that lists oops! as a comedy, a drama, and a gameshow.

It also claims that Oops! ran for 6 years, but there's no information about it

what the gently caress is going on?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Admiral Ray posted:

oh it's from switzerland

that explains it

Look at the cast, out of the four listed only two of them have ever appeard in anything else.

Cumshitter, you were at a Hollywood party with your recognizable actor cousins, and you ran into a Swiss actor whose only credited role is a late 90s/early 2000s Swiss comedic dramatic gameshow?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, Woops! is on Youtube

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first episode of Woops! has some decent jokes. I'm not sure how long the premise could hold up tho

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I asked earlier in some thread if NK could actually hit Japan, and I got conflicting answers. Have you guys figured it out yet? because I'm really concerned that if some poo poo went down with North Korea, it could delay the fourth season of Symphogear

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The main dude was such an rear end in a top hat in the first season, and everybody else was such assholes in the second season, I gave up on the show. Did the third season find a balance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

yeah I don't understand the people who are super excited about uploading

it's just another form of the teleportation problem

In an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation, a character is able to maintain consciousness throughout the entire teleportation process. Which means that, in the Star Trek universe at least, you don't actually die when you get teleported

• Locked thread