Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love the observation made in this thread that (lategame spoiler) when everything went to poo poo, it took GAIA 3 nanoseconds to decide to clone her mother to fix everything for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Will probably get this in three weeks.

How long is the prologue, on the scale of 20 minutes like Helgen to half the loving game like AC3?

Can I do most of the open-world fluff at the first opportunity or I will be barred against high-level enemies?

Is there any degree of sequence-breaking like picking up a mcguffin before any quest-giver asked for it?

1) 1-4 hours depending on what you think counts as the prologue. There's a pretty basic tutorial with a few sample quests and a weapon pickup that leads into a more traditional "prologue" section that opens the world up to you.

2) There's stuff that will be barred if you don't follow the main quest line. You can, and will, certainly run into high level enemies at random if you wander off and it's likely they'll wreck your poo poo. Actually, it's really, really easy to get in trouble with just regular enemies at the start, until you get a sense of the combat (you have basically no melee) and tools. There's some areas that you can explore but can't really access until the flag triggers for the quest. The open world collection and exploration quests open up as you progress so you can't, like, collect all the Old Swiss Army Knives of Olde in one go at the start.
I basically picked a greeble and did all the ones in the area when I did my playthrough.

3) I don't think so. At least not in a way that will bar progress.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's more like TW3 than Skyrim in that the game is very heavily story driven and the world opens up to the dictates of the story more than gating the player's progression in a linear fashion. You are restricted to a White Orchard-like area at the start, but it's pretty sizeable, is open world, and there's quite a lot to do there. The in-game reason for the restriction flows from the story and doesn't feel forced or restricted. Unlike White Orchard, that initial area is part of the larger world and ongoing story and not a place you never need to visit again - the map opens up rather than giving you access to new maps.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Skwirl posted:

I don't think there are any others, but that makes sense, red hair is a recessive gene, incredibly unlikely to have it unless both your parents have it and the tribes are all made up of incredibly diverse genetic stock so it'd mostly disappear in a couple generations outside of mutations Alloy being a straight up clone bypasses that, I can't remember if the first generation of humans were just clones or if there was some genetic tinkering beyond that, it's possible there were no red heads to begin with

Her red hair also gives her a tactical advantage because it lets her blind in with the grass better.

This isn't actually true.

Recessive genes don't just vanish, they just aren't phenotypically visible in heterozygous individuals. Two of those could have a redheaded kid, though hair color is multifactorial so it's a variety of genes with varied penetrance which determine the final color.

This is also why the Matrix's whole, "in the future everyone will be brown!" logic is stupid and wrong.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 14, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Technically there are high level enemies, but to a large extent it’s your own knowhow and player skills (and gear) you develop playing the game that enable you to take them down, not your level (though that helps)

You’ll never run into an AssCreedO situation where you simply cannot mathematically kill an enemy.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 14, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SirSamVimes posted:

I love the observation made in this thread that (lategame spoiler) when everything went to poo poo, it took GAIA 3 nanoseconds to decide to clone her mother to fix everything for her.

Also explains why everybody in the post-apocalypse is thirsty for Aloy.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Will probably get this in three weeks.

How long is the prologue, on the scale of 20 minutes like Helgen to half the loving game like AC3?

Can I do most of the open-world fluff at the first opportunity or I will be barred against high-level enemies?

Is there any degree of sequence-breaking like picking up a mcguffin before any quest-giver asked for it?

Unrelated but I tried Sunset Overdrive and it was so loving awful that I permanently deleted off my Steam account. It had 60% DNA of pretty much every other sandbox-game ever made, but it's attempts at humor and being hip gave me worse blood-pressure than the hardest boss in Sekiro.

The prologue is not short - maybe 4-5 hours - but it doesn't "feel" like a prologue. It's more of a mini open world before you get access to the larger open world. There is technically a tutorial section at the beginning but that goes by quick.

There are no "levels" in the game. You don't gain in power by leveling (well, technically you gain skill points and you can put those skill points into stuff like "melee attacks do more damage" but its not an RPG in that sense). The main thing that is blocking you from immediately going to the biggest baddest monsters is:
1) Gear. You don't have all the tactical options from the start. By the end you will have traps, bombs, elemental weapons, weapons that disable enemy attacks, etc.
2) Knowledge. You won't have the knowledge of how to beat the enemies. It's like a character action brawler in that sense. When you first start playing bayonetta you wont know any of the combos and the initial enemies will feel difficult. However, if you immediately replay the game after beating it, those initial enemies will feel easy because of your skill as a player. Horizon is the same way. A brand new player with all the best gear will have a much harder time beating the big bads compared to an experienced player with just the starting equipment.

Edit: efb. thats what i get for researching my replies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The knowledge part is very true. When I saw my very first Thunderjaw on the road to Meridian I thought "how the heck am I ever going to beat this." Now I can take down any elite using blue tier gear on Ultra-Hard difficulty. Knowledge is power!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The game's been way easier on my 2nd playthrough. And it feels awesome cause it really is down to getting better and knowing how best to tear apart the machines.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The knowledge part is very true. When I saw my very first Thunderjaw on the road to Meridian I thought "how the heck am I ever going to beat this." Now I can take down any elite using blue tier gear on Ultra-Hard difficulty. Knowledge is power!

I take it you did a fresh (non new game plus) UH playthrough?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, and that's how I intend to do a run on PC next month, if it lets me select UH from the beginning.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think I'd manage without the aim assist.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unless they’ve made other changes just having mouse control for aiming will make ultra-hard approximately a billion times easier.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

In case anyone else was looking for the Zero Dawn reveal music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A67c7P-9VWY

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BTW, Forbidden West's trailer music was released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-drY2yGTbmE

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Should I make a new thread for the PC release (and what little info we have on 2) and get us out of spoiler hell, or just let this one ride?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Should I make a new thread for the PC release (and what little info we have on 2) and get us out of spoiler hell, or just let this one ride?
A thread with explicit spoiler policies (in the title) would probably be good for all the people who are about to play it for the first time.

We used to have a second thread specifically for spoiler discussion, but people just got lazy and started spoiling stuff here I guess. Might as well link to the old one in the new OP so people can go there to discuss spoilers, too, I guess.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 15, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Feel like the rewards for killing Scorchers and Frostclaws aren't big enough given how tough they are. Both can be a challenge if you're not prepared, especially in multiples.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Make a new thread for the PC folks to have fun and stay unspoiled and we can leave this as spoilerzone. The split threads worked well until a year after release or so and most everyone has been pretty cool in here not spoiling major poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boogalo posted:

Make a new thread for the PC folks to have fun and stay unspoiled and we can leave this as spoilerzone. The split threads worked well until a year after release or so and most everyone has been pretty cool in here not spoiling major poo poo.

Yeeah PC crew coming in to play should enjoy the game blind and not have to deal with spoilers being talked about here.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Make a PC thread and keep this thread a secret club that requires knowledge of the password to enter and post

The password is gently caress Ted Faro. When they say that, we'll know they are one of us

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Boogalo posted:

Or just tag your spoilers.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As someone whose only played five hours of the game on my PS4 three years ago, I feel like I know a LOT about the story, whose who, plot twists, and so on. But I’m still drat excited to finally play this game on my computer.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm excited to find out whether I hate Ted Faro more than Huey Emmerich.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm excited to find out whether I hate Ted Faro more than Huey Emmerich.

You will.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

Please do make a PC thread for those lovely people who are going to play my 4th favourite game of all time for their very first time :D

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Horizon Zero Dawn PC: Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

You will.

I hate Huey a lot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Lone Badger posted:

I hate Huey a lot.

Oh you sweet summer child.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

exquisite tea posted:

This is it. Our current thread title is way too spoilery.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Lone Badger posted:

I hate Huey a lot.

You have not yet begun to hate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Lone Badger posted:

I hate Huey a lot.

lol please remember to come back and tell everyone how you feel about Ted afterwards

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

:perfect:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Does anyone have any screenshots they'd like to share for the PC thread?

It's funny to think I made this thread on a lark just before the game came out because the only thing anyone knew about it was 'the people who made a bunch of grey/brown shooters are making a game that is allegedly not a grey/brown shooter', and now it's basically the flagship of the Playstation brand.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

exquisite tea posted:

this speaker really sucked the air outta the room

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You think? I was breathless the whole time!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
There's lots of interesting things I'm noticing in my current replay that the trailer for HFW alludes to, like the Tallneck in the Frostfingers having been disabled by a "supercell" - and it was routed into that same storm by GPRIME, according to its log (US-W-10). These storms have been mentioned in some of Travis Tate's logs as well as the marketing interviews after the trailer.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Saint Freak posted:

Does anyone have any screenshots they'd like to share for the PC thread?

It's funny to think I made this thread on a lark just before the game came out because the only thing anyone knew about it was 'the people who made a bunch of grey/brown shooters are making a game that is allegedly not a grey/brown shooter', and now it's basically the flagship of the Playstation brand.

I mostly ignored HZD until they announced the PC port, had no idea the giraffe-analogues were THAT big.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Krazyface posted:

I mostly ignored HZD until they announced the PC port, had no idea the giraffe-analogues were THAT big.

They're by far the tallest dinobots in the game. You climb them to unlock parts of the map, there's only like seven or so in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

There's lots of interesting things I'm noticing in my current replay that the trailer for HFW alludes to, like the Tallneck in the Frostfingers having been disabled by a "supercell" - and it was routed into that same storm by GPRIME, according to its log (US-W-10). These storms have been mentioned in some of Travis Tate's logs as well as the marketing interviews after the trailer.

The Tallneck and Cauldron logs look like a bunch of gobbledegook the first time you read them, but after you've played through the entire game they all tell an interesting story about what happened in the world.