Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Rinkles posted:

i have a deteriorating mindbrain, so some of that might be inaccurate

Early concept art definitely had guns, as is some of the early prototypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Came back to this after 2(?) years, having never finished it but apparently purchased The Frozen Wilds at some point. After 120+ hours of Ghost of Tsushima the movement on this feels super loose, but I’m committed to playing through it before the second one comes out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think they gave to everyone for free at some point?

exquisite tea posted:

At one point Aloy could call on some Oseram to come airlift out your robot parts on a flying machine, and this idea apparently got pretty far into development. But it was eventually cut for being too outlandish.

Pretty sure Petra would come any time Aloy calls :getin:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TFW NG+ Ultra Hard in under an hour for charity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k09UufDlUdU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The part at 40:45 where he uses tearblast arrows to skip half the cauldron is pretty brilliant.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

The part at 40:45 where he uses tearblast arrows to skip half the cauldron is pretty brilliant.

HONK

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

This is what's fantastic about games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Who is gonna get this $1099 Aloy statue? With the US stimulus check going for roughly the same amount, you'd almost be an idiot NOT to buy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_h2cJophxU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I know the game tries to explain it but I think it’s still a plot hole that they can’t just deploy another Faro swarm at the first one. Black Quartz is either hackable or it isn’t.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

exquisite tea posted:

Who is gonna get this $1099 Aloy statue? With the US stimulus check going for roughly the same amount, you'd almost be an idiot NOT to buy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_h2cJophxU

Ugh. Overpriced merch.

And it all looks computer generated. The product probably doesn't even exist yet.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I know the game tries to explain it but I think it’s still a plot hole that they can’t just deploy another Faro swarm at the first one. Black Quartz is either hackable or it isn’t.

How would this possibly go well in any scenario.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

That's very much an old lady who swallowed a fly situation.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I thought the reason they couldn't was because the rogue swarm was replicating too fast and wasn't hindered by dumb rules like "don't make dolphin smoothies" or "fruit orchards are not fuel" so anything they sent at it just got beaten and then the scrap was presumably turned into more rogue bots.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah I think the swarm with "all matter is viable for use" and a massive reproductive head start is inevitably going to defeat anything human-friendly you send at it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Yeah I think the swarm with "all matter is viable for use" and a massive reproductive head start is inevitably going to defeat anything human-friendly you send at it.

And wasn't there a log or two covering that the HT Swarm would also hack and control any other swarms that approached it?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

That's very much an old lady who swallowed a fly situation.

Think of it as a counter fire, except one that you can actually turn off. Hartz-Timor eats one third of the biosphere, Old Lady Fly swarm eats another third but works in conjunction with O:EV human forces to starve out HT by “just” eating everything in the Pacific Ocean.

toplitzin posted:

And wasn't there a log or two covering that the HT Swarm would also hack and control any other swarms that approached it?

Yeah this is the plot hole though, because if the HT swarm can hack other swarms why can’t other swarms hack it back? It would just be a stalemate for 50 years surely.

Basically my reasoning is the same as the reason the earth isn’t covered in flies or bacteria or whatever else reproduces exponentially: predation. The only way it works otherwise is if HT wasn’t just unhackable but that it had actually cracked Black Quartz itself in a fraction of the time it took Artemis to accomplish. Or, I guess, if it had gotten such a head start that even with human assistance another swarm couldn’t cut it off and quarantine it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Think of it as a counter fire, except one that you can actually turn off. Hartz-Timor eats one third of the biosphere, Old Lady Fly swarm eats another third but works in conjunction with O:EV human forces to starve out HT by “just” eating everything in the Pacific Ocean.

Yeah this is the plot hole though, because if the HT swarm can hack other swarms why can’t other swarms hack it back? It would just be a stalemate for 50 years surely.

Basically my reasoning is the same as the reason the earth isn’t covered in flies or bacteria or whatever else reproduces exponentially: predation. The only way it works otherwise is if HT wasn’t just unhackable but that it had actually cracked Black Quartz itself in a fraction of the time it took Artemis to accomplish. Or, I guess, if it had gotten such a head start that even with human assistance another swarm couldn’t cut it off and quarantine it.

Doing some (forgive me) wiki diving, they seem to setup corruption as a one way street and cant be double overridden:

Assuming corruptors were part of the OG swarm and not a HADES post GAIA invention:

HZD wiki posted:

It appears that overridden machines are immune to corruption, since the two Corruptors that Helis had commanded to kill Aloy were helpless to stop the three Ravagers from attacking and destroying them; they would doubtless have corrupted the Ravagers and had them help to pursue the escaping Aloy and Sylens if they could have done so. The implied immunity of overridden machines to corruption is logical given the use of the Corruptors' own slaving technology in the overriding process; the Corruptors would have been essentially slaving CPUs that were already slaved by their own technology, which is impossible. Likewise, Corrupted machines cannot be overridden for the same reason; it is not possible for the slaving technology to be used against itself.

I guess that leaves us with:
Was corruption/override purely HADES or was it part of the H-T or was the H-T just on a exponential runaway and no amount of other swarms would stop it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My understanding was that by the time anyone besides Ted twigged to H-T going rogue, it was long, long past too late already for any other swarm or weapon to catch up and win

exponential growth's a bitch

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unlike any friendly bots HT weren't beholden to ethical rules like "don't eat humans" and thus were entirely superior in securing and replenishing their own supply lines.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also any robot swarm we could control could be hacked by the HT swarm as well.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just set Is Hackable to 0

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

itry posted:

Ugh. Overpriced merch.

And it all looks computer generated. The product probably doesn't even exist yet.

Its a physical prototype with some lighting and atmospheric effects added in post for the ad.

I would love a stalker (or thunderjaw) but yeah $1,200 is ridiculous.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Doing some (forgive me) wiki diving, they seem to setup corruption as a one way street and cant be double overridden:

Assuming corruptors were part of the OG swarm and not a HADES post GAIA invention:

I guess that leaves us with:
Was corruption/override purely HADES or was it part of the H-T or was the H-T just on a exponential runaway and no amount of other swarms would stop it?

Oh poo poo that thing about not corrupti already-corrupted machines makes perfect sense and it’s already right there in the game. Makes sense, gj

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Also any robot swarm we could control could be hacked by the HT swarm as well.

That's the one piece I remember but couldn't find.

I would have sworn there was a text/audio log that said "anything we sent just got turned against us by the HT into more HT"

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Elizabet mentions it during the meeting with the joint chiefs, one of them is like "if we just upgrade our swarm..." and she tells him using their own machines won't work because the rogue swarm is an apex predator when it comes to hacking.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the bad machines can probably learn to hack way faster than humans could make better anti-hackable bots also

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I thought it was dumb how there were still rusted hulks of old buildings that somehow aren't dust after a thousand years, but then I realised that if the plague ate all the bacteria and left earth completely inert before being shut down, it would make more sense. Might even explain why Elisabets corpse and home town are still there

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I thought it was dumb how there were still rusted hulks of old buildings that somehow aren't dust after a thousand years, but then I realised that if the plague ate all the bacteria and left earth completely inert before being shut down, it would make more sense. Might even explain why Elisabets corpse and home town are still there

well after they ate basically everything the atmosphere and ocean were pretty completely unviable for life, single cell included. Total destruction of the entire biosphere.

This game is some of the most compelling sci-fi I've ever experienced.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I didn't see it as Elisabets corpse, just her suit. That the focus projected an image of her face into. But I could be misremembering

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Lechtansi posted:

I didn't see it as Elisabets corpse, just her suit. That the focus projected an image of her face into. But I could be misremembering

her corpse is deffo gone gone

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

this is correct

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/thenation/status/1299519388706648066?s=20

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Just waiting for Elon to announce his new warbot company now

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Eyud posted:

Just waiting for Elon to announce his new warbot company now

He's focused on putting computer chips in everyone's brain ATM.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah poo poo like this is why the game gave me intense depressive states and existential anxiety.

motherfuckers are dumb enough to think "this is a great idea and I'll be fuckin rich!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah poo poo like this is why the game gave me intense depressive states and existential anxiety.

motherfuckers are dumb enough to think "this is a great idea and I'll be fuckin rich!"

There are so many real world police and military technology programs nicknamed "Skynet" by their creators.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
HZD was written and produced pre-2017, when the idea of international cooperation in the face of ecocidal threats was believable rather than a cruel joke. I mean, in that fictional universe, the world had clawed back from global warming, there had been precedence for global initiatives that benefited humanity.

We're in a world where governments can't even agree that that a virus killing and maiming people is actually something of concern. Ignoring the fact that the Faro Plague is far too ecocidal a fictional device, we're more likely to governments try and divert the swarm of death robots at perceived enemies, both domestic and foreign. Hope you like getting into meat slurry California!

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 29, 2020

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I don't think draft animals existed in the Americas until after Europeans got here and there were huge empires and a lot of buildings, Egyptians also only used human labor for the pyramids.

I mean, camels originated in the Americas and llamas and their kin still live here, do they count?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

derra posted:

I mean, camels originated in the Americas and llamas and their kin still live here, do they count?

Were they used as draft animals by
Incans/Mayans/Aztec?

Bison were around too and very important to First Nations tribes, but they weren't domesticated or used to haul heavy poo poo around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lechtansi posted:

No, her body is inside the suit, when Aloy picks up the charm you can see the dried up mummy of Sobek's hand holding it. It's not a glove or anything, because you can see the suit is broken around the hand