Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah, they always have an overlap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Plus I'm willing to bet there was a huge chunk of development done assuming it would be for the PS4 primarily.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horizon 2 spent most or all of its development cycle up to this point intending to be a late PS4 release so it doesn't surprise me that it would get a backport, even if some features end up getting trimmed or cut for the last-gen version.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm planning on not getting a PS5 until this comes out and betting/hoping that there will be a nifty H:FW special edition console.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 18, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

John F Bennett posted:

For those that don't know yet:

Sony Interactive Entertainment has revealed that Horizon Forbidden West will be released for PS4 in addition to the previously confirmed PS5 version.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/horizon-forbidden-west-is-also-coming-to-ps4-sony-confirms/

Welp that gives me zero reasons ot buy a ps5. I'd probably buy HZD2 for Ps4 on release.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Welp that gives me zero reasons ot buy a ps5. I'd probably buy HZD2 for Ps4 on release.

I mean, you get a PS5 for the likely much better version of the game and for the games that come after.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

morallyobjected posted:

I mean, you get a PS5 for the likely much better version of the game and for the games that come after.

80bux vs around 900bux, yea which am I more likely to spend? That being said, maybe i'll get a good tax return next year?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

twistedmentat posted:

80bux vs around 900bux, yea which am I more likely to spend? That being said, maybe i'll get a good tax return next year?

It's a good thing a PS5 costs almost half that much, then

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

if the price of the system is too much, I just don't know why this would have swayed it. like if it weren't coming out on the PS4, you would have spent 900 dollars on a new system just to play it instead of just waiting longer for a price drop? idk. I've never had a game that made me want a system so badly that I just had to get one, cost be damned. I just waited until I could afford the price tag if it was too high

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
H2 is a big reason I'm on the PS5 wagon. Just think of TLoU Remastered and how loving amazing the lighting effects looked on the PS4, on an already-showstopping PS3 game.

Like sure, I could pick up H2 on the 4 for like $60 and have it sound like a jet taking off, or get it on the 5 and hope they had enough time to enable raytracing or someshit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheMaestroso posted:

It's a good thing a PS5 costs almost half that much, then

They're like 650bux canadian, the game will be 90, and then there's tax. That will comes to almost 850bux. Okay so not 900, but pretty close.

I will certainly get a ps5 eventually, probably after the first price drop, but HFW is just something I want to play so much i'd be willing to shell out that much money to play it, though I know there will be other things on it I'd want to play eventually, like there will be a GTA6, the demon souls remastered looks amazing and FROM will release other stuff, and of course more Assassian creeds and such. I got an xbox 360 specifically to play Mass Effect, this would be the same kind of thing. But that was in the long lost days where my rent was only 40% of my paycheck.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

....aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd that's why they're releasing it on the PS4. Much larger market and install base right now. Sony knows this can be up there with the
great franchises in recognition if they nurture it enough.

I'm sure the PS5 version will be considerably less annoying (in terms of load times alone, but it will probably also be even prettier and have better frame rates) that it's still well worth getting a PS5 if you can afford it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i'm aware of that, i'm just saying it makes more sense for me to buy the ps4 version based on my wants and resources. I would probably pick it up on Ps5 later on. Its not like I haven't bought multiple versions of a game on different generations. How many times did I buy GTA5? 4 times I think.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

HFW spent a large portion of its development cycle intending to be a PS4 game anyway, some boutique features might get cut because of technological limitations but it makes sense for Sony to keep its install base of 100+ million PS4 owners.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i'm aware of that, i'm just saying it makes more sense for me to buy the ps4 version based on my wants and resources.

I'm not jumping on ya bud, sorry it got interpreted that way. I'm just adding supporting context.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I wouldn't want romance options in the game when pretty much every other player dialog choice moment has zero repercussions. Like, address that before thinking about the other stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think player choice was ever intended to be a big part of Zero Dawn. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more of it in the sequel, but I also wouldn't be surprised if you were still mostly playing a predefined character with some flavor text here and there.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ashpanash posted:

....aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd that's why they're releasing it on the PS4. Much larger market and install base right now. Sony knows this can be up there with the
great franchises in recognition if they nurture it enough.

I'm sure the PS5 version will be considerably less annoying (in terms of load times alone, but it will probably also be even prettier and have better frame rates) that it's still well worth getting a PS5 if you can afford it.
Certainly also helps that the game is going to be like $70 now, looks like a lot of the losses in PS5 consoles costs are going to be recouped through digital sales.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't need romance options in most games when it's a very loose definition of romance. Have a few conversations and then head to pound town? Might as well have an in-game Tinder app.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What do you think Aloy is swiping on in all those cutscenes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Swiping left, apparently.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think player choice was ever intended to be a big part of Zero Dawn. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more of it in the sequel, but I also wouldn't be surprised if you were still mostly playing a predefined character with some flavor text here and there.

If HFW has you playing as anyone other than Aloy all bets are off, but I frankly would prefer they go the other way. Aloy is a good, well-written character who really doesn't need any extra definition via player choice.

(I thought it was extraneous in HZD, though I realize there are some great lines in there. Especially the very last one in the story, girl's vicious :v:)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Helis: drat girl... you really are a savage.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It owns that almost every woman in Zero Dawn is real and strong and my friend and theres like 3 dudes who aren't human disasters.

P.S. Concrete Beach Party Rulz!

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Unsure if this is the proper thread, but the first of the Kickstarter board games arrived today! Supposedly we get the rest in July. Seeing if the game is fun so I can determine if I wanna just get rid of the game and keep the minifigs

Megera fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 19, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That is some really nice detail on those models! Is the Thunderjaw supposed to come out later?

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
As far as I can tell, the rest of the sets will all be coming out at the same time. RIP to the FedEx people carrying 10 board games to people's doorsteps

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I really wanted one but at the time I was broke AF.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ashpanash posted:

I'm not jumping on ya bud, sorry it got interpreted that way. I'm just adding supporting context.

Yea i know, i've just encountered a decent number of people recently who seem to think its odd that I don't have hundreds of dollars laying around.

Megera posted:

Unsure if this is the proper thread, but the first of the Kickstarter board games arrived today! Supposedly we get the rest in July. Seeing if the game is fun so I can determine if I wanna just get rid of the game and keep the minifigs

Again, I don't have money laying around, so I missed out on this too. Maybe it will come out in an regular edition at some point? I've been waiting for Cthulhu Wars to have that release for what, 5 years? So I'm not holding my breath.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I got the regular pledge, couldn't afford the all-in pledge. Kinda bummed I won't get a thunderjaw but still looking forward to the rest.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yeah, $300 for the whole thing was a big ask. I wonder if my base pledge shipped. It'll be fun to play with all of the people I can't visit right now :v:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
My roommate pledged a copy as a Christmas/birthday gift. It was supposed to be here yesterday but FedEx never got to me apparently. Hoping to see mine in a few hours.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Will the special editions etc. ever be made available for people who didn't get in on the KS?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sony updated their new and upcoming page for Forbidden West. Nothing all that exciting but there are some interesting pieces of information for baseless speculation purposes.

quote:

Join Aloy as she braves the Forbidden West – a majestic but dangerous frontier that conceals mysterious new threats.

Explore distant lands, fight bigger and more awe-inspiring machines, and encounter astonishing new tribes as you return to the far-future, post-apocalyptic world of Horizon.

The land is dying. Vicious storms and an unstoppable blight ravage the scattered remnants of humanity, while fearsome new machines prowl their borders. Life on Earth is hurtling towards another extinction, and no one knows why.

It's up to Aloy to uncover the secrets behind these threats and restore order and balance to the world. Along the way, she must reunite with old friends, forge alliances with warring new factions and unravel the legacy of the ancient past – all the while trying to stay one step ahead of a seemingly undefeatable new enemy.

quote:

Engage in strategic battles against enormous machines and mounted human enemies by using weapons, gear and traps crafted from salvaged parts.

quote:

Uncover the secret behind Earth's imminent collapse and unlock a hidden chapter in the ancient past... one that will change Aloy forever.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

exquisite tea posted:

... Uncover the secret behind Earth's imminent collapse and unlock a hidden chapter in the ancient past... one that will change Aloy forever...

Calling it now: Aloy uses VR to talk to Elizabet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

8one6 posted:

Calling it now: Aloy uses VR to talk to Elizabet.

Nah, it's probably just Elizabet isn't quite the saint we thought.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aloy discovers she isn’t a natural redhead.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

Nah, it's probably just Elizabet isn't quite the saint we thought.
Elisabet gives Ted the idea to get into Military applications but instead of, like, Focus-assisted aim bots or AI-driven drones he decides to gently caress up, bigtime.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Aloy discovers she isn’t a natural redhead.

That'd explain why Alloy wasn't a 100% DNA match at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
She's half robot dinosaur.