Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sounds like a game you should play on the hardest difficulty right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'm still not certain how streams of the full, entire game aren't an accurate representation of the game, but glowing reviews from the people who brought you glowing reviews of such fine games as Mass Effect 3, Fallout 3, Starcraft II, Borderlands 2, BioShock: Infinite, Assassin's Creed III, etc., are.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Forget it. This is loving dumb.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 22, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i only watch full playthroughs of games before launch when i have already decided to hate a game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'm still not certain how streams of the full, entire game aren't an accurate representation of the game,

You don't have your hands on it. The person playing may suck at the game (sit your rear end down, Polygon, I see you trying to sneak out) or be constantly keeping up the streamer equivalent of "snappy patter," breaking immersion or drowning out dialogue. You aren't discovering the game's quirks or fine details on your own. You don't have a feel for how the game controls. You're attempting to get a feel for a personally crafted experience secondhand, through the filter of someone else, which will always be weak tea compared to doing it yourself.

Watching a stream is a perfectly legitimate way to learn more about a game you might be interested in, and you're welcome to decide whether or not you'll play a game based upon such things, but it's nothing you should be hanging a critical judgment upon, just as you shouldn't critically evaluate a movie based upon its trailer. It'll always be a tyrannical "but": "I haven't played it, but--"

As such, this new breed of goon commentator who feel compelled to poo poo all over a game on launch week because they watched their favorite twenty-something stream monkey mug their way through it gets right on my nerves. It's a profound display of poor critical thinking skills and they should be forced to sit in the corner and think about what they've done.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
looks like another incredibly samey sandbox game with niceish graphics and robot dinosaurs, which is cool. it will be competent but forgotten within a year

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't played enough open-world games to really get burnt out on them, so I'm super excited for Horizon. I credit my incredible restraint in not blowing my load on boring near-future cities and grimdark poo poo-covered fantasy to hold out for robo dinosaurs in the post-post apocalypse.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You can really tell who doesn't have a PS4 in this terrible thread.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Wanderer posted:

As such, this new breed of goon commentator who feel compelled to poo poo all over a game on launch week because they watched their favorite twenty-something stream monkey mug their way through it gets right on my nerves. It's a profound display of poor critical thinking skills and they should be forced to sit in the corner and think about what they've done.

Very good post, Wanderer.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I don't have a particular horse in this race since I've only just become aware of this game but for the sake of balance here are a couple of non-glowing reviews from Mainstream Gaming Websites (TM):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-19-horizon-zero-dawn-review
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/02/20/horizon-zero-dawn-the-good-the-bad-the-boring
(Notably, neither has a numerical score.)

I'm sure you can nitpick those reviews and other negative impressions, but it's not just a case of goon contrarianism. Maybe it's possible for people to have different opinions on things?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Gato posted:

Maybe it's possible for people to have different opinions on things?

More importantly, we need to play the game to have an opinion worth reading.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gato posted:

I don't have a particular horse in this race since I've only just become aware of this game but for the sake of balance here are a couple of non-glowing reviews from Mainstream Gaming Websites (TM):

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/02/20/horizon-zero-dawn-the-good-the-bad-the-boring

I'm sure you can nitpick those reviews and other negative impressions, but it's not just a case of goon contrarianism. Maybe it's possible for people to have different opinions on things?

all of these people actually played the game. if "negative opinions not welcome" is what you got out of the last page or so then I feel extremely loving bad for you

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Wanderer posted:

You don't have your hands on it. The person playing may suck at the game (sit your rear end down, Polygon, I see you trying to sneak out) or be constantly keeping up the streamer equivalent of "snappy patter," breaking immersion or drowning out dialogue. You aren't discovering the game's quirks or fine details on your own. You don't have a feel for how the game controls. You're attempting to get a feel for a personally crafted experience secondhand, through the filter of someone else, which will always be weak tea compared to doing it yourself.

Watching a stream is a perfectly legitimate way to learn more about a game you might be interested in, and you're welcome to decide whether or not you'll play a game based upon such things, but it's nothing you should be hanging a critical judgment upon, just as you shouldn't critically evaluate a movie based upon its trailer. It'll always be a tyrannical "but": "I haven't played it, but--"

This is a very good post. I like it a lot.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gato posted:

Yeah, those make it sound like a decent game with some flaws. Still sounds worth playing to me. People can totally have different opinions on thing but I'm still going to poo poo on someone for telling us how bad a game is to play because they watched a stream while doing chores.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The most damning criticisms I've read say it adheres a little too closely to the conventional open world RPG formula, which is probably true if you're already burned out on them, but I've only played a couple over the past few years (DA:I, TW3, RotTR) so to me it's all still pretty fresh. These kinds of games live and die by their settings and I'm totally into the setting.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Scorps posted:

This game looks incredible and all the reviews have been glowing so far, I haven't played many Ubi games in general so can't wait for this. By most accounts they cribbed only the "best parts" of those games any ways and didn't just copy/paste it. Some of the reviews are calling it the best PS4 exclusive yet.

This is impossible in a world where Bloodborne exists

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

The most damning criticisms I've read say it adheres a little too closely to the conventional open world RPG formula, which is probably true if you're already burned out on them, but I've only played a couple over the past few years (DA:I, TW3, RotTR) so to me it's all still pretty fresh. These kinds of games live and die by their settings and I'm totally into the setting.

Yeah, in terms of Ubisoft-style games I played uh, Black Flag like 4 years ago? And I got Shadows of Mordor for like a buck in a bundle but I ended up hating it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

This is impossible in a world where Bloodborne exists

Yeah, Bloodborne and Nioh both exist.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Relin posted:

looks like another incredibly samey sandbox game with niceish graphics and robot dinosaurs, which is cool. it will be competent but forgotten within a year

It's okay for games to not last forever.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Did this game gently caress your mothers? Jesus, it's not even out yet!

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Really surprised to see so much hate straight out of the gate from this thread when this was probably in my top 3 "must-have" games from E3 last year, it looks incredible. I've also never had a huge issue with Ubisoft open world games and so far any news/gameplay i've seen has only made me want to play it more.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Bogart posted:

Did this game gently caress your mothers? Jesus, it's not even out yet!

goons hate games

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm cautiously hopeful that there is more to the game than meets the eye. But if I'm being honest it looks pretty boring like another Farcry Primal.

I hope that intuition is wrong and there is a really rewarding game cause I need something new to play until Mass Effect comes out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This game looks like it might be pretty good but it also looks like it copies a lot of open world cliches that kinda suck so IDK. Not really seeing where the glowing reviews come from yet.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Well,if the game winds up sucking,there's always Nier Automata which comes out a few days later. So there's no big loss for me if it turns out to be a garbage fire like Lumpy and others have predicted.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Nier: Automata's combat is stellar, with amazing control flow and a general dynamic that depends less on a player's ability to grind crafting materials and more on their skill and technique- it's doesn't belittle the intelligence of the player. While its graphics, admittedly, aren't as impressive, its visual fidelity and overall responsiveness really keep the player immersed. The general aesthetic and world design is also amazing- who would have thought that such a rusted, noxious world could feel alive in a way most other open world games fail to achieve? All in all, it's shaping up to be truly epic... A true, blue Game of the Year contender.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Nier: Automata's combat is stellar, with amazing control flow and a general dynamic that depends less on a player's ability to grind crafting materials and more on their skill and technique- it's doesn't belittle the intelligence of the player. While its graphics, admittedly, aren't as impressive, its visual fidelity and overall responsiveness really keep the player immersed. The general aesthetic and world design is also amazing- who would have thought that such a rusted, noxious world could feel alive in a way most other open world games fail to achieve? All in all, it's shaping up to be truly epic... A true, blue Game of the Year contender.

Can't believe we agree on something.(Unless you were being sarcastic,it's hard to tell.)

On another note,it is kinda funny that both Nier and Horizon are about robot apocalypses and release only a few days apart from each other.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Jeff Gerstmann loves it and that's good enough for me. Been reading/listening to the dude for like fuckin almost 20 years now and I trust his opinion.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Any amusing meltdowns yet about the game having a female protagonist?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

chumbler posted:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/168644-horizon-zero-dawn

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

chumbler posted:

It's one of the reasons why I'm excited about it :kiddo:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

chumbler posted:

There's already at least one article complaining about people complaining about the game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

chumbler posted:

"Can I be a guy?!" How is this not an acceptable question but "can I be a woman?" is?!?!?!?!?! False equivalency? Representation? What kind of culture destroying liberal propaganda buzzwords are those?

No joke, I took a look at the first page and burst out laughing. Even though decisions of inclusiveness should never be made to piss off those kinds of gamers like some Twitter liberals say they should, seeing these reactions despite that is always loving funny.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Evil Canadian posted:

Jeff Gerstmann loves it and that's good enough for me. Been reading/listening to the dude for like fuckin almost 20 years now and I trust his opinion.

I do not trust the man's opinions on yoshi

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

You can really tell who doesn't have a PS4 in this terrible thread.

This. HZD loving owns and I just had a blast collecting 50 fireberries so I could upgrade my flameshot, climbing a robot giraffe and hacking the poo poo out of it which allowed me to unlock more sidequests

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Sir AIDS posted:

This. HZD loving owns and I just had a blast collecting 50 fireberries so I could upgrade my flameshot, climbing a robot giraffe and hacking the poo poo out of it which allowed me to unlock more sidequests

Have you tried starting an updraft with the fire arrows and using them to glide on with the pterowing so you could target the dino's weakpoint? Honestly loving blew my mind

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lmao I can't believe any of these posts are real.

quote:

Yeah, I HAVE heard this game DOES create a very Democratic, liberal mentality. The way white men are portrayed as being either wimps or evil. You'd be better off with Andromeda. Atleast both sexes get their fair share where the Mass Effect franchise is concerned. It's the ideal egalitarian game where HZD is considered the ideal feminist game.To make it worse, they do the thing that I hate, using the words strong and independant as they do. I hate the way they use these words.

There are pages and pages of posts like these in every thread.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
On one hand I am a little wary of any game story that Polygon and Kotaku praise for being lefty fan fiction, on the other the FO:NV guy wrote it so I'm sure it is legit good and not, say, a Bioware game written by first year gender studies majors who watched Star Trek/LOTR one time.

If the mechanics are half as good as they're being made out to be, who gives a gently caress anyway?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Evil Canadian posted:

I dunno, Jeff Gerstmann once gave a Zelda game like 4.8 points more than it deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Sir AIDS posted:

Hoodrich posted:

Have you tried starting an updraft with the fire arrows and using them to glide on with the pterowing so you could target the dino's weakpoint? Honestly loving blew my mind

drat... perhaps I was too hasty to judge this game.