Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Reveilled posted:

Replying to a post from the PC thread since I don't want to fill it with spoilers:

I think the thing which really sells it is that post apocalyptic fantasy, where the apocalypse is in the present day, is always based on the premise that there are survivors, so as a player inserting yourself into that fantasy, deep down you always imagine that you would have survived. Zero Dawn confronts you, the player with the truth, you weren't one of the few survivors; in this universe, you and everyone you love died a horrific, painful death, just the same as the people in the recordings, you probably recorded similar messages to those on the front lines or the people back home, and you died never knowing the truth. I think that's what makes it work so well, you as the player experience an emotional connection to those people in a way Aloy and Sylens just can't, because to them it's ancient history.

There is a sense of fatalism about it, yeah.

It sort of breaks the fourth wall, but that's probably also why it works. At least these days - with "climate grief" being a thing, etc.

Edit: I still haven't finished the game, so I probably won't be discussing stuff in here yet.

itry fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reveilled posted:

Replying to a post from the PC thread since I don't want to fill it with spoilers:

I think the thing which really sells it is that post apocalyptic fantasy, where the apocalypse is in the present day, is always based on the premise that there are survivors, so as a player inserting yourself into that fantasy, deep down you always imagine that you would have survived. Zero Dawn confronts you, the player with the truth, you weren't one of the few survivors; in this universe, you and everyone you love died a horrific, painful death, just the same as the people in the recordings, you probably recorded similar messages to those on the front lines or the people back home, and you died never knowing the truth. I think that's what makes it work so well, you as the player experience an emotional connection to those people in a way Aloy and Sylens just can't, because to them it's ancient history.

You died and everyone you knew died and none of you were known or remembered.

Spoilers for the Harry Potter series:
It's why Hermione's memory spell near the end hit harder for me than any deaths of favourite characters. She didn't just say sorry mum and dad but I have to leave forever or she didn't die and leave them someone to mourn, she stole their whole lifetime experience of being parents from them and they're none the wiser. That is hosed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

lol please remember to come back and tell everyone how you feel about Ted afterwards

Up to Maker's End
So far he seems like a bit of a dick but... he's recognised the problem is real and is taking concrete steps to try and stop it. Maybe those steps will be too little too late but that still puts him a significant cut above most real-world capitalists and national leaders.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
:allears: :allears: :allears:
They really do an amazing job with Ted

BTW just keep in mind how Elisabet talks to him

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

The Lone Badger posted:

Up to Maker's End
So far he seems like a bit of a dick but... he's recognised the problem is real and is taking concrete steps to try and stop it. Maybe those steps will be too little too late but that still puts him a significant cut above most real-world capitalists and national leaders.

Please keep us updated

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Maker’s End is the office building right? Thats like just the start of the gently caress Ted Faro Saga.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Lone Badger posted:

Up to Maker's End

:allears: how's your playthrough doing

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
But you might have survived if you got to Elysium. You could have been one of the hundreds that were either chosen by the Alphas as friends and family or the lower workers who go to go there. Though ideally you hopefully just got blown up by a Kopesh's cannon and didn't see it coming, that is basically the best option you had during the Plague. Eylsium would have been pretty depressing because no kids, so whomever was the youngest would end up just dying alone because that would be it

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

twistedmentat posted:

But you might have survived if you got to Elysium. You could have been one of the hundreds that were either chosen by the Alphas as friends and family or the lower workers who go to go there. Though ideally you hopefully just got blown up by a Kopesh's cannon and didn't see it coming, that is basically the best option you had during the Plague. Eylsium would have been pretty depressing because no kids, so whomever was the youngest would end up just dying alone because that would be it

Theoretically, the Elysium habitat was intended to sustain a population of 1000 people for 100 years, but the majority of the inhabitants, being prominent, well established researchers, would have already been in their 40s to 60s by the time they got there, so the older population would probably die out well before the supplies did. They're also a whole population of brilliant scientists, so it's not plausible that some of them might have reversed their sterilisation. Apparently you only need 15 people for a sustainable human population, so it's not impossible the Elysium could have survived to the new world if they broke their own rules.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

:allears: how's your playthrough doing

Been doing tons of side stuff. Got to the vault inside the nora holy mountain but found it too depressing to keep going through.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd like it if in the sequel there were more incidental old world locations, that were not necessarily tied to the main plot, that you could find (or miss) on your own outside the story missions. a la points of interest in fallout, though of course not as many.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Reveilled posted:

Theoretically, the Elysium habitat was intended to sustain a population of 1000 people for 100 years, but the majority of the inhabitants, being prominent, well established researchers, would have already been in their 40s to 60s by the time they got there, so the older population would probably die out well before the supplies did. They're also a whole population of brilliant scientists, so it's not plausible that some of them might have reversed their sterilisation. Apparently you only need 15 people for a sustainable human population, so it's not impossible the Elysium could have survived to the new world if they broke their own rules.

I imagine to avoid that they just straight up chopped off everyones baby making parts. I guess they could create cloning vats, as we know that tech exists

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Reveilled posted:

I'd have assumed they wanted to be absolutely sure they'd be able to support the whole population until the last one dies, iirc I think some (at least of the alphas) were in their 20s-30s which would make another century at least remotely plausible and it isn't like the supplies and whatnot would be needed elsewhere on short notice. Being a population of bookish scientists and engineers most probably just accepted the ground rules, with the probable exception of Tate, who I'm gonna guess would not find any takers if he tried.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've been replaying Horizon Zero Dawn on PC and noticed something very interesting!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

exquisite tea posted:

I've been replaying Horizon Zero Dawn on PC and noticed something very interesting!

Neat! One of the things I loved about this game is they layed in that the humans living had NO KNOWLEDGE of the past. Watches were bracelets and keys were chimes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yeah, and then you start to think about why you find keys, watches and glass eyeballs in piles everywhere is because these were the only parts of people that weren't liquefied by the Faro plague.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, and then you start to think about why you find keys, watches and glass eyeballs in piles everywhere is because these were the only parts of people that weren't liquefied by the Faro plague.

Oh jesus christ I didn't think about that. :gonk:

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

same and lmao that's rough

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

did we ever get an explanation on how people transported things? No draught animals (unless they had carts pulled by 20 boars) means it must be a gigantic pain in the rear end to transport anything that can't fit in a backpack. One of the biggest impacts Aloy could have had on humanity's progress would be leaving the tribes a few overridden Striders :v:

i realize this is an incredibly minor niggle but the world is so well realized otherwise

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Winklebottom posted:

did we ever get an explanation on how people transported things? No draught animals (unless they had carts pulled by 20 boars) means it must be a gigantic pain in the rear end to transport anything that can't fit in a backpack. One of the biggest impacts Aloy could have had on humanity's progress would be leaving the tribes a few overridden Striders :v:

i realize this is an incredibly minor niggle but the world is so well realized otherwise

I don't think draft animals existed in the Americas until after Europeans got here and there were huge empires and a lot of buildings, Egyptians also only used human labor for the pyramids.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I don't think draft animals existed in the Americas until after Europeans got here and there were huge empires and a lot of buildings, Egyptians also only used human labor for the pyramids.

Egypt had plenty of draught animals (and the Nile) to transport stuff to the pyramids though, but good point about the Americas. Having to lug around all their stuff themselves could explain why all the Oseram are so beefy :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah Aloy's crazy strong and she's far more stick-like than... hell, every Oseram in the game; they must lift ton-boulders for warmup

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

There are goats I guess?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ciaphas posted:

yeah Aloy's crazy strong and she's far more stick-like than... hell, every Oseram in the game; they must lift ton-boulders for warmup

She's like a QB and the Oseram are linebackers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

At one point Aloy could call on some Oseram to come airlift out your robot parts on a flying machine, and this idea apparently got pretty far into development. But it was eventually cut for being too outlandish.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

At one point Aloy could call on some Oseram to come airlift out your robot parts on a flying machine, and this idea apparently got pretty far into development. But it was eventually cut for being too outlandish.

I don't think it was because it was outlandish in a the sense of the Oseram not being able to have flying machines (they regularly scrap flying machines for parts, that's most of their whole deal) it was just that's at least two new entire game systems they would have programmed (capturing instead of killing robots, whatever the gently caress you do with robots after that)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm glad it was cut either way because we would have gotten too many "why didn't the Oseram fly Aloy into All-Mother Mountain" complaints.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I'm glad it was cut either way because we would have gotten too many "why didn't the Oseram fly Aloy into All-Mother Mountain" complaints.

That would have been a super simple write around, the base of all major plot point quests have a bunch of Eclipse soldiers working with corrupted robots, you just need an anti aircraft robot added to that knock out the Oseram flyers.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

That would have been a super simple write around, the base of all major plot point quests have a bunch of Eclipse soldiers working with corrupted robots, you just need an anti aircraft robot added to that knock out the Oseram flyers.

I think the stormbird fills out that niche nicely already

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

I think the stormbird fills out that niche nicely already

I was thinking a ground cannon thing, Deathbringers are big enough to have a poo poo ton of anti-aircraft stuff that would never come up when dealing with fire arrow slinging bitch who never get's more than slightly higher than they are. But that works even better.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

gently caress now I want Aloy to have MGS5’s Fulton launcher

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

exquisite tea posted:

IIRC they said in the Noclip doc that it was cut due to being too involved and interrupting gameplay.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Winklebottom posted:

Like other's said, just look at the real world Americas. You can do a whole lot with just people power if you are inventive about it. Especially when metal tools are comparatively easy to find via killing the peaceful robots and being able to have steel hammers and knives and plows and such.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Gotta give a shout-out to the Ravager cannon for being incredibly satisfying to use in a game that's not even about guns.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Winklebottom posted:

I mean you see hand carts all over the drat place and they come up in a number of quests. They just have those fancy wheelbarrows to get all their stuff everywhere. Now explain to me how they got all those huge worked stone blocks from the quarry onto the top of the mesa that Meridian is built on top of. I guess it must be carved from living rock.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The power of slavery a skilled and salaried engineer class

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I mean you see hand carts all over the drat place and they come up in a number of quests. They just have those fancy wheelbarrows to get all their stuff everywhere. Now explain to me how they got all those huge worked stone blocks from the quarry onto the top of the mesa that Meridian is built on top of. I guess it must be carved from living rock.

There's an elevator.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

General Battuta posted:

Gotta give a shout-out to the Ravager cannon for being incredibly satisfying to use in a game that's not even about guns.

Gotta wonder if that's a remnant of the very very old build of the game when you used guns.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lobok posted:

Gotta wonder if that's a remnant of the very very old build of the game when you used guns.

since the game was built on the foundation of kz:shadowfall, guns were supported from the start. but to paraphrase from memory, "they immediately felt wrong"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i have a deteriorating mindbrain, so some of that might be inaccurate