Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

With the Stake Gun or whatever locks bots down, am I supposed to shoot one at the bot and then one into the ground?

Also, is there any reason to not make super long tripwires with that gun? Is there any sort of downside/upside to what you lodge the trap ends into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So I see some stuff is needed to trade to merchants alongside shards for special items. So I can assume materials (like watches or toothpicks or whatever) that only say "trade to merchant for shards" have no other use and I can safely sell them? I'm gonna be a hoarder with anything that I might need to trade at some point.

And is there any benefit to heavy armor versus light? It seems to just be better, if you can afford it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Have I missed the point where I get different elemental arrows? I just did the first cauldron and I could have really used some shock arrows, but I still only have fire.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm nearing the point where I'm going to have 3 bows in my inventory. I like the regular bow and the precision, and now I need the war bow. Too many bows.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Does overriding different robots have different effects? Or do they all just because temporary pets?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Fighting humans is definitely the worst part of the game. I'll sneak murder someone in the middle of brush, and his buddy somehow spots him from 50 yards away. It's not bad, it's just not amazing like every other part of this game.

I keep thinking "This games a little too easy" as I chain-assassinate scrappers, then I get sloppy and get spotted by a shellback+watchers and get loving murdered.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oh poo poo, are we in Colorado?

I just saw one of those vantage things and I swear it's Red Rocks Amphitheater .

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

wyoak posted:

The hardest quest in the game is the green blast sling tutorial
Second hardest is Cauldron Zeta but only if you beeline for it

I've been on 2/3 for the green sling quest and I cannot get it. There are no swarm enemies in this game so you have to get really lucky. I actually roped down a Watcher and tried to bait another one near it, but I couldn't. They just keep flailing around and pissing me off.

I also spent about 5 hours just collecting poo poo. Like just finding vantage points. I've never done that in a game. I might actually 100% this game.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

"Hey there, got that order of two tons of iron bars you requested."

"Oh perfect. Could you go ahead and take the pallet up two flights of stairs and put near the completely unsafe and unnecessary drop off? Yeah, hanging right over that rug there. That'd be great."

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Just fought my first thundermaw.

Was going okay until he spooked a trampler group. Then some bandits joined in. Then a Behemoth convoy showed up.

That was intense.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I just finished the quest where you kill the first Deathbringer, climb the big tower, and learn that robots hosed everyone up. If I just do the main quest line(s?) how much longer do I have? I've been going slow as hell, doing side quests and collecting everything, so I've already put like 40-hours into this game and I'm level 36.

I'm going to take a minute to gush about how good this game is also.

Coming off of playing Nioh (a good game) and For Honor (the worst gaming experience I've had in 10 or so years), I'm astounded by how well this game fits together. Nioh has amazing combat, but literally everything is is forgettable or just plain bad bad. For Honor is a good concept and has fun mechanics but Ubisoft poo poo the bed with literally every other part of the game and experience. HZD just seems to nail everything so perfectly.

I loved Witcher 3, and until HZD I would say it was my favorite RPG since Morrowind. But there were some parts that were so clunky. The combat was forgettable to the point where I don't feel like you'd lose out on anything playing on the super-easy mode. HZD (excluding human enemies, which are pretty lame) is awesome. They managed to make fights engaging and interesting by giving you tons of different tools for the fight. I still enjoy taking down groups of robots even if I've killed them a dozen times before. Things can go from "This is going well" to "Oh holy poo poo" in half a second. It does a really good job of making you feel like a human up against monsters. If you plan well, play to your strengths, and use all the tools at your disposal, you can win. If not, you'll probably get wrecked by the twenty foot mechanical T-Rex. Though not as mechanically demanding as Bloodborne, some of the best fights I've had in years have been going against my first Thundermaw, or fighting off Glinthawks on top of a Tallneck.

Another thing is how relevant things stay as you level up. In most RPGs, even open world ones, the nature of a level-up system means that earlier areas are rendered totally infantile after you get better gear or stats. I like how, even at level 35 doing level 20 quests, I can't just walk through them. I'm not immensely more powerful than I was, I just have more health and more abilities to help me win. It makes it so much nice when I don't have to stress out about finishing every low level quest near the suggested level. It also takes a lot from Witcher 3 in that quests are more about a story or side-jaunt, and not just fetch quests.

This is also the first game, I think ever, that I might 100%. The only open world game I've ever truly enjoyed before this was Morrowind. Assassin's Creed, Farcry, Skyrim, GTA, and all those other ones are just so loving boring. I can usually play them for about 20 hours before I just stop giving a poo poo. HZD is big, but it's not so massive that it feels empty. The Vantage Points, Banuk statues, and even the little cups are fun enough that I've spent the majority of my time playing just walking around getting them. I like that you get maps near the beginning that can just tell you where they area. Most games are a lot more secretive about doing a thing that's just honestly not that fun otherwise. In most games if there's a "collective all 50 doo-dads throughout the world for a special prize!" I'm just going to Google it. I have honestly enjoyed getting all the collectables in HZD. I am annoyed at the layout of the Super Secret Armor quest though. "Go collect 2 powers cells. Awesome! Now go collect 3 more, haha!

Finally, the story and environment is so good. Aloy is a great character, well acted, and even in the far future most of these characters are easy to relate to. When I first started playing I was kind of thinking "These people are pretty stupid", but once you get out of the Sacred Lands you realize not everyone is like the Nora. I'm a sucker for far-future/weird settings anyway, so this is right up my alley.

I'm just astounded that there's really no weak parts of this game. Fighting humans is stupid I guess, and I wish you could at least drag bodies or something. I'll stealth kill a human inside tall grass, but somehow his buddy 50 yards away can spot it instantly. Other than that I can't think of anything that's a major problem.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do I get back into mother's watch? I know a power cell is there but the gate is locked and I can't fast travel in.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Language can't "devolve" though, it just changes.

In fact, there's really no way to predict how it would change at all given HZD's extremely unique situation. I haven't finished the whole game yet, but if anything it would be totally incomprehensible because The children from the vault-place (who grew up without access to any historical records) would have just totally made up the vast majority of names for everything they see on the outside, because the only things they had known were steel rails and robot multiservators. They wouldn't have ever seen trees or animals or robot dinos and clouds, so their language wouldn't have "evolved" from English it would just have a core of English grammar/syntax/pronunciation and then just create an entire new lexicon from scratch.

It just seems like it wouldn't really add anything to the game doing that. I like it the way it is where there is just people who have random accents and dialects. My headcannon reason is that either language and dialect has actual genetic components, and the doctor in charge of the human re-creation program specifically targeted these genes in order to preserve the diversity of humanity, like he said in his holo video.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I'm assuming they were shown pictures/videos and studied much of the old world for most of their lives. What else would the android teachers be teaching them about? Although I don't remember anything about historical records being unavailable so it could have been something I missed

I just finished that part at like 1 AM last night half asleep, but I thought it was explained that There was some malfunction and they never had access to the actual teaching area. Sylents said they could "See all of those comforts, but it was out of reach" in regards to their play room and education area. There was some sort of door-lock malfunction and all the kids were just stuck on the outside looking in. The Iranian woman was the one leading the education program, and all of her material and software was locked inside a room they couldn't access. It seemed that the multiservitors were literally just guardian robots, making sure you children were fed and safe. If that was the case, the kids never learned anything from the actual education initative.

G-Spot Run posted:

Language is developed from birth so it would undoubtedly be part of the multiservitors nurture design. They drew pictures on the walls of animals, sun, I think maybe trees so there must have been picture books or children's holos with a lot of core concepts for society even though the big education program wasn't available. k I'm an rear end in a top hat I thought this was spoiler thread

Assuming Chomsky's Language Acquisition Device theory proves to be true, there is a finite window in which young children in which they need to regularly hear a language in order to natively understand the grammar. If this is the case it would make sense that multiservators would be programmed to talk in basic English all the time in order to activate the LAD. Assuming the education training was supposed to start around 5-6 years old, they would probably be programmed to communicate to the children in the manner appropriate for very young children. But because they were apparently not part of the education initiative they probably had very restricted protocols about what they would talk about, as evidenced by the holo of the girl and boy trying to get their gently caress on and the multiservator just saying "Lets jump and play and burn off energy!", which is something you would suggest to a 6 year old but not a pair of teenagers. Maybe they could answer questions like "Whats outside?" by saying "There is a bright light called the sun, it goes around the Earth. You will learn soon!" or something.

Sorry this is better chat for the spoiler thread, as soon as I finish the game I'll pop over to that.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Uhhh, so my game has suddenly decided not to load. It just sits on the loading screen, bar full, messages cycling, but won't go into the game.

Anyone had this happen?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yep, Reddit also seems to have problems loading on that specific mission. I'm just going to reinstall my game and rebuild my database. My PS4 has been super wonky and not running YouTube either, so I needed to do something. I'll try it once I finish work today.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The rappel animation is kind of dumb. That's dangerous Aloy, just wrap it around before you jump and slide down! Also please wear gloves :(

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So rebuilding by PS4 database and uninstalling/reinstalling HZD did not work, but loading an earlier save did. So if you get around the Mountain That Fell mission I would recommend powering through it or just not turning your PS4 off until you do. It's not that long anyway.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I never quite finished H:ZD and I’m going to jump back in. Does the DLC add anything before I actually go do the content? Should I wait until I’m level 30-35 before I buy it, just in case I get bored and don’t finish it again, or does it add content to the base game that is worth it?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Well it’s only :10bux: so I’ll get it. I see there’s a new skill tree at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Came back to this after 2(?) years, having never finished it but apparently purchased The Frozen Wilds at some point. After 120+ hours of Ghost of Tsushima the movement on this feels super loose, but I’m committed to playing through it before the second one comes out.