Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Please rename the subtitle to: Hunting Robodinos in the Uncanny Valley.

I so want this game to be good!! Please don't fail me European grimdark first-person shooter dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I was worried about the UI overlays looking too busy for this game, but I read that it can be set to "Dynamic" so that your screen isn't always lit up with cursors and POI.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I haven't played enough open-world games to really get burnt out on them, so I'm super excited for Horizon. I credit my incredible restraint in not blowing my load on boring near-future cities and grimdark poo poo-covered fantasy to hold out for robo dinosaurs in the post-post apocalypse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The most damning criticisms I've read say it adheres a little too closely to the conventional open world RPG formula, which is probably true if you're already burned out on them, but I've only played a couple over the past few years (DA:I, TW3, RotTR) so to me it's all still pretty fresh. These kinds of games live and die by their settings and I'm totally into the setting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lmao I can't believe any of these posts are real.

quote:

Yeah, I HAVE heard this game DOES create a very Democratic, liberal mentality. The way white men are portrayed as being either wimps or evil. You'd be better off with Andromeda. Atleast both sexes get their fair share where the Mass Effect franchise is concerned. It's the ideal egalitarian game where HZD is considered the ideal feminist game.To make it worse, they do the thing that I hate, using the words strong and independant as they do. I hate the way they use these words.

There are pages and pages of posts like these in every thread.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea I was 100% one of those people who saw the leak and was all 'welp glad I have one less game to play this season'. Really happy to hear actually the rest is great and the animations for talking are just weirdly the corner they decided to cut.

Like, I don't know the game design process but it feels if they can make a game where you do sick dodges and shoot arrows into a really pretty robo-t-rex's fuel tank to make his butt explode apart they should have the tech to make at least average cutscenes for talking, right?

AAA games are such huge productions nowadays that developers can't do everything in house and often contract out cutscenes, side missions etc. to B-team/smaller studios to help generate additional content. You see the evidence of this all the time in a series like AC where the quality of a segment can suddenly drop off a cliff from area to area. Even for a multimillion dollar mainstream project like HZD, there aren't always the resources to QA every single thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

This game is generating a lot of weird hate and it has only gotten worse since it has gotten across the board great reviews.

You've got a perfect storm of console warriors because it's a PS4 exclusive, the anti-establishment everything because it's a AAA mainstream open world game, and the "what about the men" alt-righters with its female protagonist who isn't even that sexy and looks like a man, according to gameFAQs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They're not happy because most of the white males in the story are either bad guys or weak/useless compared to our brave Aloy. That and the fact she doesn't even look that hot make Horizon's brand of feminism a little too in your face for gamefaq's sensibilities.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

RatHat posted:

For goons that have played this, are you able to say how it took you to finish it?

According to reviewers the main campaign takes about 30 hours to finish, more if you 100% everything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

My sister is an independent woman, strong and hardworking. But she loves to wear sexy costumes and like to show all her sensuality and femininity.

:stonk:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

But then why would you cast this imaginary sensual, feminine woman as your own sister.

GameFAQs is a treasure trove for this poo poo and until two days ago I forgot it even existed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

People are going to be very surprised by the ending. I mean I didn't see the robo-dinosaur apocalypse caused by our failure to castrate all cis white men but to be honest it makes perfect sense in retrospect. I should have seen it coming when Aloy crafted her first arrow from the scrotum of an innocent man.

To be honest I found the imagery where Aloy literally impregnates the savage, aggressive machines with her spear thus turning into harmless cuckbots who obey her every command to be a little heavy-handed, myself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They're honestly pretty directly comparable to the Assassin's Tomb thing in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. They're not as small a the tombs but not full-on dungeons either, they're more like mini dungeons except for one which is just a boss fight.

Tomb raiding is extremely my poo poo, so I'm glad these exist as I was totally unaware they were present in the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I thought one of Horizons biggest marketing points was that its the first Ps4 game to be made with the Pro features and 4k in mind? (Like not a simple Pro patch but developed to take big advantages of the Pro)

Digital Foundry has a really in-depth summary of all the unique stuff Horizon takes advantage of on the PS4 along with stuff it does specifically for the Pro, if you care to watch the entire thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y8u7MvuArA

Supposedly there's going to be a Day 1 patch allowing Pro users to tweak some additional settings for performance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Not exactly surprising given the amount of people who've already made their minds up about a game they haven't played yet.

I've made up my mind that Horizon will be REALLY good and I'm going to enjoy it!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This game owns and I'm having a lot of fun so far.

I STRONGLY recommend setting the difficulty to Very Hard if you are like me and feel compelled to collect + upgrade everything as soon as it becomes available. The robots will remain an actual threat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ashley Burch ends up being a central VA in every game that I end up liking so I shouldn't have been surprised.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

Can you adjust the difficulty mid-game or is it set from the beginning? I'm not super confident in my console controller aiming abilities so I'm leaning towards starting on Hard and then turning it up to Very Hard if it turns out I'm underestimating myself.

You can freely adjust the difficulty from the main menu.

Putting early points into Concentration (slow time when aiming bow) and stealth kill from cover have made the early parts of the game very doable. Aloy is also not like Nathan Drake + Lara Croft and your melee is surprisingly good, especially if you do the early sidequest for more spear damage and invest in that talent that knocks off enemy plates.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 28, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

Do dialog choices ever have actual consequences in this? If not, I'm just going to be exceptionally rude to everyone I meet.

You can resolve quests in slightly different ways (I for one got alternative dialogue to the now-infamous Brom sidequest) and characters will remember prior choices in some lines, but nothing major from what I've seen so far. It's very Mass Effect-lite.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This is why you should play on Very Hard:

I decided that I was simply too good at Horizon Zero Dawn and that I'd try to take on a corruption zone that was at least 5 recommended levels ahead of where I was at the time. Well after about an hour of getting my rear end handed to me I figured that a more methodical approach might be better and crafted a full complement of traps and bombs. I worked my way around the periphery picking off the Chargers one by one, until there were only a few left with the big flamebreather dude in the middle. A couple of the Chargers spotted me and I retreated, directly INTO a Sawtooth patrol, so now I had both on me at the same time and was frantically laying down shock wire with my Tripcaster all over the place. I got a good stun on one of the shock traps and took down some Chargers with the sling, all the while down to my final sliver of health and clenching balls every time the Sawtooth revved up an attack. Finally the only enemy left in the CZ was the flamebreather at half health, by which point I was totally out of ammo and crafting materials. All I had left was the shock wire, which I managed to get off and frantically beat him to death with my spear.

Anyway, this game owns.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

My favorite part so far was when Teersa hears the computer talking about data corruption and dives right into "Aloy must heal ~The Corruption~" like it's a mystical phenomenon and I love it.

The impression I get is that Aloy can probably decipher more of the old writings having grown up with the Focus all her life, but can't get everything, either. So when you're viewing all the codex entries it's what you the player can read, and to Aloy it's still mostly gibberish.

Harrow posted:

She was really good in Life is Strange, too.

You know Horizon was announced just shortly after Life is Strange became a thing, I wonder how much of her casting was the voice director thinking "okay, we need a defiant, headstrong teenager with abandonment issues and a penchant for resolving conflicts violently."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Max out Concentration (slow time when you aim the bow) first.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've been putting a lot more points into melee skills than I thought I would because ammo is precious on VH and between Silent Strike + Aloy's takedown you can put a lot of hurt on a robot before it gets the chance to retaliate without having to waste arrows.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The chain of logic goes something like "why do they have to be so IN MY FACE feminist by having a female protagonist, especially one who isn't even that hot."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, the weapons basically come down to which delivery mode you prefer for the status effects you want to inflict. Right now I keep two sets of bows for fire/tear arrows, the fire sling, and the shock trapcaster. Switch out for a ropecaster on the boss bots.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I recommend that everyone set the HUD to Dynamic as the default UI is too cluttered and it's a much better way to take in all the nice visuals.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Right now, the opposite direction of GameFAQs would be criticizing the game for its lack of ability to enslave men and press them into service as brutes, miners, or sperm manufacturers.

Yeah, I'm disappointed in Horizon for not doing this too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alris posted:

Just got this game, before I start it up what difficulty should I be playing on?

Hard is normal, Very Hard if you wanna play Robot Souls (the best way to play).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Incorporating the spear on Very Hard helps a lot with not draining your resources. The shellback dudes in particular you can melee nearly to death from opening with an ambush + stun + critical strike, and they drop a ton of crafting mats.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

What's the trick to dealing with the shellbacks if you don't get a good ambush on them? The only time I've killed one without ruining my resources was by hitting it in the shield generator with a tearblast arrow before it noticed me. Anything else and I can barely get a hit in.

Run away and try again. Alternately, get a stun in with the tearblast arrows and unload the slingshot on them. I don't try to take on more than one at a time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tear arrows end up becoming pretty important on higher difficulties because anything that doesn't hit their weak spots will do jack poo poo. I like the challenge though, there is no ~ludonarrative dissonance~ in this game. Even a pack of Scrappers will mess you up if you're sloppy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Sometimes my headshots to human enemies won't oneshot them :colbert:

I was expecting a Lara Croft style moment of horror as Aloy was forced to kill another human for the first time but nah, as it turns out she's totally down for murdering bad dudes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah I thought Aloy would be a blank slate generic open world protagonist but she's got a chip on her shoulder from being shunned all her life and knows she's hot poo poo, which is a little more interesting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Don't attempt any of the boss bots without a full quiver of tear arrows.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Took down my first Thunderjaw. :hellyeah:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TheKeeper posted:

I passed a few while exploring, but was like gently caress that and passed them on by.

Then I stumbled across a cauldron that was suspiciously devoid of things to fight. Then I get to the end and see that I now have to fight one in a relatively tiny room. It took several lives, but when it finally dropped I felt like a goddam hero.

However the best payoff was now I could override them. So the first thing I did was found one, overrode it, then sat back and enjoyed watching as it utterly destroyed a bunch of ravagers.

My biggest complaint about Horizon so far is that you can't mount the Thunderjaws Dino Riders style.

Clanpot Shake posted:

If you're finding the fights boring you should switch up weapons and tactics. Hiding in the bushes and plinking away with arrows is boring as gently caress and won't even do well against most dino types.

Aloy's melee is quite a lot better than in most other games of this type and you can put quite a hurt on the robos with just a well-timed dodge into spear stun + critical strike, while also saving your arrows.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 3, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah the Charger has that instant wake-up attack that makes meleeing it not such a good idea if there's not much time left on the stun. Their charge is super easy to avoid so when in doubt you can just let them come at you and set up an easy counter.

Stormbirds though...those things mess me up. First robot I just had to give up on and come back to later.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

I'm surprised Guerrilla Games made a game this good, the only thing that was anywhere close to this fun they made was Killzone 2 multiplayer (for its time).

...which is one reason it's kind of a bummer there's no multiplayer. Maybe for Horizon 2.

You can do some pretty great work when you're inspired, and all the GG devs seemed really motivated to make this game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

How do you avoid Very Hard just kinda being a slog? I ended up turning the difficulty back down to regular Hard for now just because I got tired of every fight with a robot larger than a Grazer being a huge, drawn-out battle that leaves me needing to forage for medicine again immediately. I seem to be taking almost as much damage on regular Hard but enemies don't take ages to die.

Having a full quiver of tear arrows ready are a must for anything bigger than a Ravager and status effect combos become really important. My normal loadout is the Shadow Hunter Bow for inexpensive damage, Sharpshot Bow for tear/pierce, Shadow Sling to inflict status effects, and FREE space for Trip/Ropecaster depending on what's needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Random tips for people coming into the game for the weekend

* Drawing back the bow is for accuracy, not damage. Feel free to machine-gun the arrows when you are up close.

* Rarity goes White -> Green -> Blue -> Purple. Most weapon upgrades will be an additional type of arrow plus an extra mod slot. Except for a few occasions the base arrow will always be the same damage, just with better handling.

* Scanning components will show their elemental weaknesses. Many have Tear (broken shield) and an element listed. The tear will remove it, elemental will blow it up.

* Always keep at least one of every blue/green resource for trading, sell everything else, including blaze if you have piles of it. This will be your main source of income. Never sell Fatty Meat, it is the limiting factor in making health potions.

* Do the hunter lodge quests. They reward at the end is middling but they are buckets of XP.

* The medicine pouch has multiple layers in it. Every additional layer of "fill" is represented by a green cross.

* Turn on Dynamic UI, turn off dynamic pathfinding.

* There is no trophy for difficulty level, you can plat on anything. So play on Hard.

Another thing I can think of is that each new merchant gives you a resource crate for free the first time you meet them.