Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What would New Game+ look like for HZD? Because you can get the best equipment pretty early and the skills are nice, but half of them aren't really important at all. You just want the Robo dino's to have more health and deal more damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

If I hate shooters on consoles, will I hate this game?
It's not a shooter, so maybe? Combat is closer to Tomb Raider than an FPS.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I didn't get a raccoon skin until 50 hrs in so I don't know disagree

I got the raccoon skin and bones while I was trying to get a fox skin for the unlimited fast travel, immediately died without saving. I got another fox skin pretty quick, still don't have any raccoon parts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Got this game a few days ago, just a couple of questions:

1.Any missable quests or miscellaneous content?

2.For weapon tutorials, is there one per weapon, per weapon type or per weapon tier? I got the blast sling which is the same tier as the regular sling and I'm wondering if i need to get both for different tutorials.

1. There's a point of no return that's very, very clearly marked at the end of the game, but when you beat the game you get booted right back to before it, with any levels or equipment you picked up in the meantime.

2. If you get the highest tier of a weapon it gives you all the tutorials for that weapon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

1. Probably about halfway? The game takes about 45 hours if you're rushing just the main story and some side content, 60 if you 100% everything.
2. You should have access to purple tier weapons in Meridian by now. Sell anything in your inventory whose only use is "sell for metal shards" and sell off excess stacks of resources you don't use a lot of. The Hunter's Lodge challenges also reward a lot of resources.
3. The most useful sets are probably ranged damage reduction and stealth. It doesn't make a huge difference which one you use though.
4. Both major questlines have to be completed before the game can end, but otherwise there's no benefit from favoring one over the other unless you want to unlock the power armor faster.

For the being broke thing, check the inventory for reward boxes, I frequently forgot they existed in my playthrough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

I have 50 of the things because my inventory is full of whatever is in them. like rocks. I have been carrying around a rock box since the beginning of the game.

Sell the poo poo you're full up on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Not to get all :can: but part of me wonders if the lack of romance to some degree had to do with the female protagonist, the developers knowing that players would be largely male. Not a lot of female led games really have that option.

Either way I think the game was better for it. Most games would be because games rarely handle that poo poo well. I actually think Aloy's general disinterest/obliviousness was pretty funny and endearing.

Aloy just completely shutting down the Sun King was awesome and hilarious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It makes it so guards attack on sight in the areas controlled by Sun in Shadow, except Sylens gives you a special outfit that let's you walk around normally. At least I think that's what happened, I never went back to that area without the special outfit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

What proves that, I never noticed that being the case.

I might be thinking of a different ruin, but I'm pretty sure there's a note where they says basically, "this is the end, everyone who wants to try and make a run for it can meet up at the main door, we'll open it for two minutes, everyone else head to the chapel where our nun will give a short speech then hand out some kool-aid"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'll never understand how people can create a thing like this and then say to themselves "yes, this is good. I want the world to see this."

Dunning Kruger Effect?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

There are only two directions a sequel can go in that could possibly interest me - rebooting Gaia (boring) or murdering the cryogenically frozen one percent.

There's no cryogenically frozen one percenters. everyone on earth died, the people around now are the descendents of clones and/or test tube babies

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If I can't ride a Thunderjaw in the sequel I'm going to boycott it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mutata posted:

So Sylens' main defining character arch is self interest above all else in the pursuit of knowledge. The only time he really gets legitimately angry is when he discovers that Ted Faro (may he forever get hosed) deleted Apollo. He even decries the tribal slaughter that's resulted (such as the gladiator slaying in the arena, etc). He also frequently and accurately identifies what's his name as an insane warlord murderer who must be stopped. I don't think mass destruction is really interesting to Sylens because it goes against his main and primary motivation: achieving knowledge. Now, I'm sure they could spin that into a hubris that gets out of hand and what he thought he could control breaks free, but considering that's the impetus for THIS game's plot, I'd be disappointed if they do that again. I hope Sylens remains a dark grey presence in the ongoing plot and I hope we find out a bit more about him in the DLC.

It's not too hard to believe Hades would recognize his only bargaining chip is his knowledge and withhold that from Sylens until he get's at least a bit more autonomy than being a genie in a lamp, also the end is that he's a genie in a lamp, they always get out of the lamp

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maybe it's only a thing on my browser, but does anyone know why some spoiler blocks have clear line breaks and others don't?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

So, is there an easy way to gauge when I should be tackling some of these bandit strongholds? My Aloy is level 22 and I took on the one in the northern area of the first, pre-desert area...only to be completely swamped. It's packed full elites which can't be stealth killed without the top tier talents, and they're all taking two headshots to kill - which means I can't sneak around as the second I attack, they're alerted due to being hurt rather than slain.

I can't tell if there's a trick I'm missing to these supposedly level 10 bandits, or it's just a case of needing better gear.

What's your bow situation? Top tier sharp shooter with damage mods should be able to handle stealth shooting. and at level 22 you should probably have mostly purple weapons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

I have a blue sharpshooter bow, but haven't found any damage mods. I guess I should make a dash to Meridian before I start on this side content?

I think you can get purple weapons at Dawn's Gate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm constantly buying health potions so I still need to buy a blast sting and the elemental bow. I barely find any health herbs. :/

Also I need to find more cauldrons to override more robits.

Hunt animals more, you need their pelts for crafting anyways, and you can get a ton of herb at the first gate.

Edit, also if you reload your game right after saving at a fire it fills your health bar.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 6, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait is US Robot Command near the end of the game? That really ramped up! And I only found one energy cell.

I'm bad at it but this game's pretty great guys.

I'd check a spoiler list for the energy cells, you can't miss any of them permanently, but some are a real pain in the rear end to go back and get.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Early on I basically just hunted enemies with fire arrows and blew up the horses and grazing things that way; status effects have always been my primary means of approach, and I've not been using ropes at all.

Now I have a shadow tripcaster so I'm gonna try to employ it more often, but for each enemy I kind of need a unique strategy -- and my love of sling bombs has actually seen me run out of metal canisters, which is kind of a pain now that I have to farm them.

So I've discovered some major plot revelations regarding endgame poo poo (and obvious spoilers towards that end): Helis is a cool villain, overall. He's quite the opposite of Ted Faro, who unwittingly created a monster he could not control. Helis is completely devoted to an ideal greater than himself, this unimpeachable divine authority. I'm not sure where the plot is gonna go with him, I'm headed to All Mother Mountain to do whatever it is there to do, but I feel like Helis is supposed to represent the dangers that the ancient human mindset represents. We need APOLLO and the wisdom it can share, or else we're doomed to continue to suffer tyrants like him, base superstitions and abuses of power. Problem is, we never really got rid of those things in the modern day either. Faro worshipped money, if anything else.

Ted still gets a slight pass from me, because his reaction upon discovering he'd unleashed a robotic plaque is to turn all of his manufacturing towards building non-automated weaponry, delivering a sheepish speech to do so, and that really pleased me. It's like, what else do you do? I'm curious that he's disappeared now that he financed Zero Dawn, I'm curious if they will return to him so we get a conclusion to his story.

GAIA is a really cool concept and it's something that'll definitely give this setting some legs to carry it into sequels, depending on where they go with it. I like the concept, and I like that it's an apocalypse scenario that doesn't have a magic solution: we gotta let the world get hosed to oblivion so we can deal with the pseudo-grey goo scenario, and even the stop-gap emergency miracle measure has a built-in killswitch. The concept of HADES and GAIA is really cool and makes a bit of sense, and the crazy death-metal loving Texan is just...wonderful. They saved a lot of the best characters for this part, but the message where his attempts to preserve exploitation films into the next generation are summarily shot down is probably my favorite piece of lore in any game.

Lt. Daniels is a boss.

You're going to loving hate Ted Faro by the time you beat the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Like I don't condemn Faro's motivations as much as some people, I don't think he did performed his final act of perfidy as a venal attempt to rehabilitate himself, because he doesn't perform more such actions to suppress the common knowledge that the apocalypse was caused by the "Faro plague". No, he genuinely thought that he could revert humanity to a simpler, more peaceful state, which is ridiculously ahistorical and so typically techbro it hurts.

I don't even care as much about the all the science he destroyed, he eliminated all art, I get destroying the knowledge that leads to horrible death weapons, but also eliminating every song and painting?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

Pre-order bonus for the new Monster Hunter game is that you can play as Aloy.

That's cool, but isn't part of Monster Hunter wearing absurd looking armor that hides all of your body?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fuzz posted:

People keep saying this poo poo when Legacy of Kain, the Witcher games, and freaking Planescape Torment have been around for decades.

Yeah, most games have poo poo writing, but its not some groundbreaking "HOLY poo poo A GAME WITH WRITING GUYS" thing that Horizon is written well.

If you play more than 2 new games a year and are in your late twenties or older, you've probably put up with a lot of poo poo writing in games.

Also, at the very least, the writing is better than Legacy of Kain. The fact that I agree that Kain is an example of good writing in games shows how loving dire the whole industry is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Idk my honk arrows rip poo poo off like crazy with tear mods

I don't have any experimentation to back this up, but it seemed like they ripped poo poo off like crazy without tear mods too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I wonder if there's any potential plot flags that would carry over into the sequel. Most of the quests have only one result but you imagine certain side characters are likely to return in Horizon 2 and I'm curious if they were planning that far ahead.

The only major one I can think of is whether or not you kill Olin are there other ones?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think gear is more important than level after you get a handful of useful skills. Early game it matters quite a bit, but for later stuff it's not as big a benefit after level 20 or so.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

snoremac posted:

Can you remove items from the D-Pad scroll? I’d be fine just with health potions and rocks.

You could sell everything and just make elemental potions on the fly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

snoremac posted:

You seem to level up like crazy if you do a lot of sidequests and exploration. I’m already at the Frozen Wilds recommendation (level 30) while the main quests currently recommend 15/18. I’m playing on hard, so it’s still quite challenging, but I hope I’m not an unstoppable force once I hit FW.

equipment is way more important than level past level 15 or so.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If they're big I would use the sling, war bow is good for flyers or if you're targeting specific parts. Or for corruption arrows, I really like hitting a flyer with those and watching the aerial battles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

The cauldrons are as far as I know mostly optional but completing all of them opens up a completely new dimension of combat to the game. Other side quests might help flesh out a character here or there, or just take you to a real neat setpiece you wouldn't have seen otherwise. There's not a lot that can be unequivocally called a waste, but there might be reasons you'd not care about something and that's okay.

For example I like those cool-rear end banuk triangle paintings on stuff when you're finding the figurines.

Definitely complete the first two cauldrons before you get to far in Erend's quests about his sister

Also, I don't care too much about spoilers personally, because I've beaten the game, but within the last few months it 1) got an expansion, 2) went on sale, and 3) released a complete edition there's probably a bunch of new players and I wouldn't want to rob any one of the experience of discovering how much of a gaping rear end in a top hat Ted Faro is, like you spend most of the game thinking "wow this guy is the worst rear end in a top hat ever, and then in the last third you find out he's even worse than you imagined first hand.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Oh absolutely. gently caress TED FARO gently caress TED FARO gently caress TED FARO gently caress TED FARO gently caress TED FARO gently caress TED FARO, and it's definitely important to see how WHOA HOLY gently caress GET hosed TED YOU SHITSACK MAN I HOPE YOU'RE IN SOME CRYOPOD SO I CAN STAB YOUR FACE without getting hints about FOR gently caress'S FUCKIN' SAKE TED by accident.

I love how anyone who's beaten this game really wants Ted Faro to have been cryogenically frozen just so in the sequel we can stab him in the face personally I really want it too, but I'd accept holograms of him starving to death because he didn't pack properly for his personal tomb

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think it'd be funny if the sequel has you guarding a kid who's a clone of the worst person ever and you have to make sure he's safe the entire time, like Last of Us or the new God of War game, or even Resident Evil 4 (first game I didn't despise escort missions on) while also trying to teach him how not to turn into the worst person in the history of everything

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The only companion Aloy needs is a cute little watcher pet who teaches her a powerful lesson on friendship. I want this so bad Guerrilla make it happen!!

If I can't ride a Thunderjaw in the sequel I'm not buying the game. I'll settle for a QTE if I have to, but there needs to be a point where Aloy is on top of a Thunderjaw and it fucks a bunch of poo poo up. Maybe a rescue sequence where she saves the clone of the worst person ever, seriously the loving worst, and he learns a valuable lesson about communication with your peers

I realize my spoilers are more fan fiction than anything else, but they also are spoilers for the game, any new players shouldn't read them but should post about their experiences playing the game, especially the first time you took down a robo dino that killed you the first dozen or so attempts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

My original do not steal wishlist for Horizon 2 is the aforementioned watcher sidekick, being able to grapple onto big machines to take them down ala Shadow of the Colossus, and a BOOMERANG because having a weapon that comes back to you is just indescribably cool.

Outside of Zelda that's not how boomerangs work and I realize how insane it is to complain about "physics" in a game where you can kill a robot T-Rex with a bow and arrow but they would drastically have to change the rest of combat so a boomerang is neither not that useful or incredibly overpowered.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You didn't change my last "or" with "nor" so you didn't actually fix it. I can't even edit my post now because your quote of it will be there forever. You didn't fix anything, you just immortalized my own failure at grammar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DLC take place during the main game, so your last comment is a cliff hanger/sequel hook.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, slings let you put nearly any status effect on enemies. I think the only one it’s missing is corruption.

I love shooting birds with corruption arrows so you can watch them dogfight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kris xK posted:

I'm using the Bombsling like the bow, it just doesnt seem to have any range. Ill play with it again.

Bows get more accurate the longer you hold the trigger, you always have a good idea of where a slingshot is going to land, so instead they shoot farther the longer you hold it down. Took me awhile to figure that out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Hi, I've been playing Horizon on Very Hard and its a pretty good game. Killed the first Corruptor and now wandering the wilds.

The AI seems kinds dumb and silent attacks seem OP against small machines but Im enjoying the atmosphere.

Whats a good set of weapons at this point? I got the carja bow, war bow, sharpshooter bow, sling/ bomb sling, tripcaster, ropecaster and the bomb caster thing.

Anything/everything Purple.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's probably been mentioned a billion times but if I can't ride a T-rex robot in the sequel then the I'm not buying it. (I'll almost certainly still buy it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Delsaber posted:

I could see Horizon 2 being the Mass Effect 2 of this generation: more iterative than revolutionary, but those iterations will likely be very strong, important changes.

At the very least I don't see the current inventory management stuff coming back.

Mass Effect 2 massively changed the gameplay. I think it might have more departure from its predecessor than the first two Assassin's Creeds.