Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Ultra Hard is legitimately challenging on a naked run because almost everything can OHK you and all weapons and armor are way more expensive, so you have to be a lot more attentive to resources. Ultra on NG+ is piss easy because you already have access to all the most OP armor and weapons in the game.

Does NG+ let you keep the Lodge weapons? Or just Shadow level weapons? I beat the game on normal (because I suck at videogames) and am curious about the jump to Ultra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

You get to keep all your lodge weapons, there's just a new tier of them when you complete all the Hunter trials. Sadly you do not get even more OP power armor. You lose all tiers of the Carja Shadow Heavy armor for plot reasons.

If you're jumping into NG+ Ultra for the first time I would recommend buying up as many important resources as you can (wire, blaze, etc.) before finalizing your loadout as all those become way more expensive.

Hahahaha, I'm not delusional enough to think I'm getting Lodge weapons on Ultra. It was all I could do to get the shell-walker crates the first time.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

I'm stuck on that right now and it's total BS. a YouTube video shows 6 crates on the ground instead of two and I'm wondering if it was changed in a patch

Its like you're me from a week ago. They changed it in the past patch so now its 2 crates on the ground, spaced apart. I ended up stunning/slowing the two on the right from stealth, pop off the crate of one, loot both crates, then run like a lunatic to the other pair. It took a good 10+ tries with the shield armor.

Its not really a stealthy trial anymore.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Finally doing my NG+ on Ultra Hard. So far I'm enjoying the challenge - herds clustering up rather than spreading out makes them actually a little intimidating.

In the changes for robot behavior, did they change how the whistle works? There have been a few cases where I am in grass, in stealth gear, whistle and it goes straight to red instead of just alert, and I have a bad time.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

One of the things I like is that as you grow into the game, new tactics supplant old tactics and this carries over into new playthroughs.

New players start out hiding in grass and whistle stabbing everything. By the end of the game, there's no grass, and stealth stabs deal a useless portion of a healthbar. So you have to play aggressive and exploit status effects. And in a new game, you carry over that aggression and skill, and start charging your starting striders and watchers, baiting out their attacks and countering with a knockdown.

Hey I was just excited to use the whistle again. :mad:

Just got to the first corruptor fight, which scared the poo poo out of me the first time around. It felt so good to just dance around cracking striders with my lance one by one, then tossing a single sticky bomb on the corruptor and watch it go down. without ever getting hit. So far the NG+ has been just as fun as the first time and yet feels really different. I love this game so much.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What I like is that his motivations are really clear, though. He's clearly feeling guilty about the role he played in all of this, and he's also a narcissist, and he feels that it MUST be HIS responsibility to "make it right". He does this in the worst possible way, of course, but that's how good villains are.

If there's no clear ribbon on him by the end of this, then I'll definitely want the sequel to have us dealing that. Hell, they could do a New Vegas style Mr. House scenario and it'd fit fine.

I don't think he's that noble. A big chunk of his motivation was conveniently destroying records that detail how the end of the world was 100% his fault. He wouldn't want that legacy.

Speaking of Apollo, there was a second, beta version of it on the Far Zenith ship. We're told it was destroyed, but that's just it - we were only told about it. I wouldn't be shocked if that 'backup' became relevant in a sequel.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Deified Data posted:

Ted Faro did what he did because he got showed up by a woman. Dooming civilization was him trying to grasp any last vestige of power in a situation that left him feeling powerless.

Yeah - the bitter resentment in "you get to be the savior AND the martyr" was loving palpable.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
New patch just rolled out, 1.4.

quote:

Hi everyone. In the run up to release of ‘The Frozen Wilds’, we’re happy to announce that we’re releasing a new patch today. This patch provides support for ‘The Frozen Wilds’ expansion, a number of general fixes and fixes for progression related issues. Do note that ‘The Frozen Wilds’ content will not be playable until November 7th.

NEW FEATURES
• Support for ‘The Frozen Wilds’ expansion has been added.

GENERAL FIXES
• Fixed an issue where some players would experience the robot not investigating a triggered alarm mine.
• Fixed an issue where some players could let Aloy traverse far outside the map when heading East from the campfire, while heading towards the objective “Go to the Ruins of GAIA Prime”.
• Fixed an issue where some players would experience Longlegs failing to respawn to the site, after Aloy cleared the Longleg encounters around Cut-Cliffs on her way to ‘Meridian’.
• Fixed an issue where some players would experience outfit statistics nog being calculated correctly after slotting two or more mods.
• Fixed an issue for the controls where some players could let Aloy to become fixed to a plane and be able to move horizontally across the map.
• Fixed an issue for some players for the interactions of the NPC’s that are not in combat.

PROGRESSION ISSUES FIXES
• Fixed a progression issue in “A seeker at the Gates” where some players experienced the ‘Carja Fort Gate’ wouldn’t open after fast-travelling.
• Fixed an issue in ‘Lessons of the wild’ where some players would experience the Watcher staying in an alert state after skipping the quest sequence, which would cause the objective to remain as “Wait for the Watcher to Pass”.
• Fixed an issue in ‘The Mountain That Fell’ where some players would experience Aloy getting stuck between the gaps near the boulder next to a campfire.

CRASH FIXES
• Fixed an issue in “To Curse the Darkness” where some players would experience a crash while trying to climb ‘Faro Tech’.

MISCELLANEOUS FIXES
• Minor text fixes.
• Minor animation fixes.

Please download Horizon Zero Dawn patch 1.40 and share your thoughts with us. We will continue to work on further fixes and enhancements to the game based on your feedback. Let the countdown for The Frozen Wilds begin!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Capn Beeb posted:

Dismount Strike: Once you've unlocked all the Traveller skills, you'll get access to Dismount Strike. It's a move that allows you to leap off your mount and perform a devastating attack that will kill smaller enemies and wound larger ones.

hell yes :getin:

Just out of curiosity, how many people fight while mounted?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

I’m annoyed I only got to play for a couple hours before I had to get ready for stupid work!! I’m going to get nothing done all day.

My comps/diss proposal is next month. I don't know why I preordered this.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

I asked because I recall a datapoint where Faro asked his engineers to include a back door of some sort, presumably to assert control, but it never went into why. But I do have a few missed data points.

I think he asks if there IS a back door, to which the engineer replies no, dumbass, you ordered us not to and it's impossible to add one now.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

Is it worth it to buy the maps from the vendors that show where the collectibles are?

Yes. They are super cheap and very helpful.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

Pretty sure he was the only one I was like "nope gently caress that I'm killing him."

Maybe him and the eclipse guy.

I'm weak and thought he was too pretty to kill.

It was nice when he showed up for the final fight and was simultaneously stoked and horrified to be there.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

snoremac posted:

You seem to level up like crazy if you do a lot of sidequests and exploration. I’m already at the Frozen Wilds recommendation (level 30) while the main quests currently recommend 15/18. I’m playing on hard, so it’s still quite challenging, but I hope I’m not an unstoppable force once I hit FW.

No, you'll still be able to get your poo poo kicked in.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

snoremac posted:

I’ve found something I like: the charming southern sociopath chosen for the ZD project.

Between the mission where you learn about Enduring Victory and the one where you destroy that Hades Longneck I have 5 straight audio datapoints missing, the last 4 in the 2nd row and the 1st in the 3rd. Any ideas?

There's a poo poo ton of audio data points in Grave-Hoard that are easy to miss, a few audio data points that are missable in the Maker's End Tower, and a few easily missable ones in the tents of the camp when you are sneaking in to take out the tallneck. Those last ones will relocate to the bottom of the waterfall in the southern corner of the region if you missed them.

Great list of datapoint locations here: https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/5yda2p/compiling_all_datapoints/?st=jchunbfd&sh=a14c24b7

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Viridiant posted:

I'm having issues with Bluegleam. There's a cluster of four directly to the east of Deep Din that's found after climbing up a cliffside. But there's a fifth one appearing on the map in that same area that I can't find at all. I tried doing a google search and they mention the four other pieces of bluegleam but none of the lists talk about a fifth being there. Is this a bug and there's not actually a piece of bluegleam there? I've searched all over for a cave or something.

Try scanning with your focus - Bluegleam shows up like loot with the vertical squiggle.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

snoremac posted:

The key is to dodge, including when you’re running away. You’re invincible for part of every dodge, so even if a machine appears to connect, it won’t hit you. It took me ages to figure this out.

:aaa:

I've beaten this game twice and I'm still learning how it works.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Krime posted:

Blast sling is good for taking out humans.

I think I must be the only person that enjoys stealthing through bandit camps headshotting everyone. Well, me and Nil, anyway.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Sleight of crate is easy, fam. Do exactly the following and you will succeed nearly every time: Triple knock some tearblast arrows, chug a lighting potion, then slide down the middle rope. Immediately sprint to the back, ignore all enemies, and pick up the crates. If you get staggered out of the animation, try again right away. You should get 2-3 crates here without even having to worry about the shellwalkers. Okay, now sprint to the right. There should be two remaining crates on the ground, or just one if the shellwalkers here have already picked them up. Grab the crate on the ground, dodge BEHIND the shellwalker, and hit the back latch with tearblast arrows to release the crate. I get a Blazing Sun on the first try almost every time using this method. If it looks like you're not going to make it, just reload from last save and that will put you back up at the top of the rope. EZ loot.

I think a patch made it so there's no longer big piles of crates like that.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lord Hydronium posted:

Is Ultra-Hard New Game+ fun as a challenge, or just grindy? I kind of want to play this game again, and I'd like to not just stomp over everything from the beginning, but I'm not sure if I should go that route or just start a new game from scratch.

Everything except the hunting grounds is fabulous in UHNG+.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

A friend of mine just stopped by the booth and sent me these photos. The Thunderjaw is 6-8 inches tall.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I don't give two shits about the board game, just give me the figures.

This is the first time I actually understood the desire to paint models/figures.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Cross posting from the spoiler thread:

Dienes posted:

If you are interested in the Horizon Zero Dawn boardgame, the Kickstarter just opened.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/horizon-zero-dawntm-the-board-game

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

blackguy32 posted:

So I just bought this. What are the tips that I should follow? I have heard that I should beeline for Meridian, but what else?

Fast travel uses resources unless you have the golden fast travel pack. The gold pack is one of the biggest QoL items to snag early on. You can buy one in Meridian.

To buy the pack, you will need metal shards, fatty meat, and a single fox skin. The first two are easy to get from killing machines and various small critters. Fox skins are rare drops.

So you need to execute every. fox. you. see. until you get one and hang onto that skin. You'll thank me later.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

blackguy32 posted:

I want to know, who actually chose to kill Nil?

Monsters.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

jabro posted:

I have to say he is the greatest villain, not only in video game history but probably in all fiction. It seems to impossible to gently caress mankind twice but he found a way.

Ted Faro: Greatest villain, shittiest person.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ashpanash posted:

Honestly, I would say complete the main game, then do the DLC. For one, the DLC is harder than the main game. Also, the DLC doesn't add anything to the main story. It does add a lot of background "color" to the backstory and general themes. But I think it's all even more interesting once the main game is done.

Seconded. Once you've beaten the game it will have you resume right before the final maingame quest, and that's the perfect point to take your gear to the DLC.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Fuzz posted:

Betting it's called Horizon 2: Far Zenith

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

There's a GDC panel on Horizon Zero Dawn where the presenter talks about how the scope of the game changed drastically as the big robot dinosaur combat finally became playable. Basically everything you fight that's larger than a Scrapper came together late in development, so the only enemies to playtest against for years were the little machines and humans. The tutorial heavily emphasizes stealth because that's all the design team really had to work with, but once the big machines were implemented stealth became less and less pronounced. He puts it like "you spend the first 10 minutes picking up rocks and then never agin for the next 50 hours."

That's crazy, because human combat is the simplest, easiest, and most boring. You'd think with years of testing they'd have made them at least as interesting as the machines.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lumpy posted:

The biggest, eh? I forget when the final gently caress YOU happens, so maybe you got that already.

Understandable. There's so many gently caress YOU moments to choose from.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Smol posted:

I completely forgot that the machines “evolve” after you kill enough of them. I’m still in the first area, about to go kill the Sawtooth, and on the way, I decided to fight some Striders. To my surprise, one fire arrow wasn’t enough to detonate the blaze canister on their backs anymore.

:aaa:

I'm embarrassed that I never noticed this.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

By the end of my game I had so many shards I stopped making anything and just bought health potions constantly.

The things I had the biggest trouble finding were rats and fish.

There's always 4+ rats in the starting tutorial cave. Jump in, empty it out, fast travel away, jump back in, repeat.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Thunderjaws, Tallnecks, and Watchers are the three most iconic ‘bots in ZD (appear in marketing etc.) so I think we should expect to see them back in FW, especially if they’re bringing along Snapmaws (one of the less visually impressive machines). I hope there’s a Meg or a Mosasaur or something really big and scary in the water though A whale-bot?? They also imply that the Tremortusk isn’t the biggest new machine, which is also quite exciting.

Also imo the T-Jaw should remain the “apex predator” imo, even if it has close competition. Tyrannosaurs are like dragons, they should always be the baddest in whatever setting they appear.

I'd love a dunkleosteus-bot but that might be to similar to the snapping turtle robot.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

itry posted:

Ugh. Overpriced merch.

And it all looks computer generated. The product probably doesn't even exist yet.

Its a physical prototype with some lighting and atmospheric effects added in post for the ad.

I would love a stalker (or thunderjaw) but yeah $1,200 is ridiculous.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I got the regular pledge, couldn't afford the all-in pledge. Kinda bummed I won't get a thunderjaw but still looking forward to the rest.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Megera posted:

Sure, here's a Switch controller

I regret only getting seeker pledge and not going for thunderjaw expansion. drat.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was thinking about going back to do this myself. I got the Plat when I played before, but there's a couple of trophies that I missed.
What sort of stuff carries over for NG+? Do you have to play on Ultra Hard first, in order to do NG+ on that difficulty?

Stock up on crafting materials before you start NG+.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

If only it were possible to get a ps5.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sivart13 posted:

I don't wanna know anything about the new game until I can play it on PC or I get a PS5 so I guess time to turn the internet off for a year

Ah, an optimist, I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Stoatbringer posted:

"Thank you for saving us. Take this awesome armour as a reward. Oh and good luck fighting the twenty or so giant top-level machines for the parts to level it up so it helps you fight giant top-level machines."

I ended up turning it to story mode difficulty with easy looting turned on, put on a podcast, and just started farming.

Upgrades also chew through your shards at a rapid pace, its frustrating.