Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
What spoiler is that? In any case, keep playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
It’s awesome seeing a thunder jaw walking around way out in the distance

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
The soundtrack is awesome. The ones that play while you’re just exploring the world is nice and chill, but then you’ll get the more moving and epic stuff during cutscenes.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I completely avoided it by going through the hunting grounds

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
As soon as you leave Mothers Embrace. It’s super easy.

Seriously, you can do it whenever but the difficulty increases sharply with the new machines. Lore wise, it weaves together nicely with the main story. Some dialogue changes and is added in both the main game and the DLC depending on how far you are in each.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Smol posted:

Finished the game, though I didn’t play the DLC. The main story felt really urgent, so I couldn’t really find a good spot to start it, plus I might as well save some content for a second playthrough.

I went into the game completely blind (I hadn’t even read any reviews or watched any trailers), so it was kind of fun to try to figure out what the game was really about. Delving ancient ruins while trying to figure out what had happened was really thrilling and I loved all the secondary characters. This game had hands down some of the best NPCs I’ve seen in gaming, especially many of the women.

Anyhow, my main gripes with the game were:

1) The bad guys. I felt like the developers never really could elevate them above simple Star Wars level villains. I won’t even bother speaking about Helis and the Eclipse but I wasn’t that impressed with HADES either. At some point I had an idea that since the mission of GAIA was to rebuild earth, what if she had came to the conclusion that humans were a threat to the ecosystem and had to be eliminated? Something like that would’ve been much more interesting than just a inept rogue AI that just has to insult you at every corner.
2) The combat wasn’t that exciting after a certain point. Killing machines became just a chore and all the human enemies were trivial to begin with. Hopefully bumping up the difficulty will help with that.

Question: What caused HADES to activate? I never really understood that part and it’s now bugging me.

Edit: ...except I just saw the post credits scene. Maybe that’s explored in the DLC? Or did they leave that as a cliffhanger?

1. The bad guys Your suggestion of GAIA deciding that humans were a threat has been done before lots of times the most prominent being SkyNet. It was refreshing that it was a rogue AI that was simply trying to fulfill its purpose after being activated. It wasn’t evil and was a necessary component of the entire system.

Also, I don’t see how this can be a gripe when that fucker Ted Faro is in the game

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Post your reactions to story events. I love readings those.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I remember when Perfect Dark and Turok 2 had weapon wheels but they went out of style but it looks like they’re coming back

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Fuzz posted:

They never really went away. Mass Effect and Uncharted have kinda always had them in various forms.

You’re right. I was thinking more along the lines of the military FPSs like CoD that limited you to a primary and a sidearm. But now that I think about it, GTAV and DX:MD had wheels.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Okay, thanks for the advice. Sounds like a fresh game might be best to recapture that feeling of not being safe anywhere in the wild, but UHNG seems like it would be fun to give a try sometime as well.

So there's a point on the path through the mountains north of Daytower where you can make your way down the cliff into the Sundom (near the metal flower):

The thing is, you can get there without passing through Daytower or Dawn's Sentinel, which means at the part of the game where those are locked, you can get past them anyway (presumably, I've only tried it late game). I assume that nothing would happen after that (other than having early access to those regions) without advancing the main quest, but has anyone done this? Does anything break?

I think it will tell you that you aren’t allowed to go into that area without completing the things you need to pass Daytower. That said, I did complete the requirements on a playthrough and fought the corruptor, but I intentionally didn’t trigger the cutscene where the soldiers let you pass. I then went up to the gate in the north and explored. It was all pretty much the same except I could never get the next quest without going back to Daytower.

Some things broke. The game felt more sluggish and when I fast traveled to Meridian, entire textures wouldn’t load in so I could see through geometry and poo poo.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I liked ME3 up until the ending (original ending). gently caress The Catalyst and gently caress mass speculation from everyone

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

ashpanash posted:

Same, but I replayed ME3 about a year ago and let me tell you, the start is loving rough, especially after just playing ME2. It's a ton of instant contrivances, the fun roleplaying bits from ME2 are whittled down or even non-existent as it sometimes plays your character for you, and nothing about the opening feels dramatically earned whatsoever.

Once you finally get to choose where you want to go it gets a lot better, just as you remember it. But then of course near the end it gets even worse and ends with a wet fart.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, it's easy to forget, but right until... geeze, somewhere around Palaven, the game is a mess. I'd say the opening is worse than the revised ending, even. At least that gives you a few moments of character interaction.

ME3's middle is some of the best stuff in the series, but the opening sucks, and the ending ranges from disappointing to actively terrible depending on iteration and approach.

Yeah I always forget about the beginning because the end just overshadows it. But yeah, around Palaven is when it gets good.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

blackguy32 posted:

Made it to Meridian and did like one side quest. I guess I have gotten sucked into the game now.

The one thing that bugs me is either the voice acting or the facial motion capture. Something about it just seems really off.

The frozen wilds dlc has better facial animations and just looks better.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

blackguy32 posted:

So I just started fighting tramplers and I kind of feel bad slowly watching them burn to death while they just stand there.

Figured out what was bugging me about the facial animation. It's the eyes. So much of the face animates but the eyes arent doing much in comparison.

What do you think of the story so far?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea as soon as I got out of the embrace and starting killing robots, i ended up with a ton of shards, so no worries there. I also grabbed the skill that makes more ammo from the same resources.

Is this a game where certain areas are going to be too dangerous to go to, and its obvious or does it let you blindly blunder into high level areas?

Once you're out of the Embrace, you can go pretty much anywhere if you want. Encounters with the THunderjaw or Stormbird can be tricky, but are still possible. The only place that you shouldn't go at a low level is the Frozen Wilds dlc. That is a huge uptick in difficulty.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Kibayasu posted:

The enemy that always gave me the most trouble no matter what were those cloaking stalker robots

I like to set them on fire so it’s easier to see them when they’re cloaked.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

blackguy32 posted:

I think I am nearing the last mission. And wow, the story is kind of really sad. I am DEFINITELY going to take a break before tackling the Frozen Wilds. I have had enough HZD for a while and I still have other Black Friday games that I need to finish, not to mention AC: Odyssey.

I will probably need to read a synopsis when I finish, because I got the main gist of it, but I have no clue about some of the details such as how Hades was able to take control

Have you gotten to the part with Ted Faro?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

blackguy32 posted:

Ted Faro is a dick. And I wanted to kick his teeth in.

gently caress Ted Faro

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I only killed him in a play through justo see what happens, but I feel that not killing him should be canon

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
gently caress Ted faro

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

SirSamVimes posted:

I honestly love Ted Faro. Not as a person, he's utterly loathsome. But as a character and as a villain I love him. He feels genuinely human, not moustache twirlingly evil. Not a man who doesn't care about human life at all because of profit. But an incredibly greedy and prideful man. He didn't do this poo poo because he believed humanity was worth sacrificing for money, he did it because he was prideful enough to believe that there was no way something like this could happen. And when everything does go wrong, the way he begs Elizabet to find a solution felt really human.

What a fantastic game.

Ted Faro is the best villain in any videogame I've played. I despise him without ever interacting with him. I think it's also the fact that he doomed the world twice which is a feat itself. His machines killed everything and wiped the Earth clean. And then he decides to wipe out all of the accumulated knowledge in Apollo out of a selfish desire which led to the new, reinstantiated life to be in peril, too, because humans were ignorant of the systems at play. Again, gently caress Ted Faro

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
There better be an awesome sequence in HZD2 where you ride a Thunderjaw

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
gently caress Ted Faro

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
All I will say is that there is a difficulty spike and invest in the fire potion things.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I've set fire to Stalkers because the flames can't go stealth

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
gently caress Ted Faro

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Ytlaya posted:

Also, is there anything stopping someone from grinding a poo poo ton of blaze canisters (and whatever else the deer guys drop) by repeatedly doing trials at this place? It seems like doing a trial spawns a group, which you can then blow up pretty easily with fire arrows (and they drop mats to make more fire arrows).

I go there to farm blaze all of the time but I don’t start the trials. I just start picking off the grazers with the harvest arrows

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
gently caress Ted Faro

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I hope the Far Zenith people come back and it’s basically Turn A Gundam

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

zakharov posted:

FORBIDDEN WEST

I am so loving ready for it. It looked so beautiful. And the new machines!

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

The Lone Badger posted:

Up to Maker's End
So far he seems like a bit of a dick but... he's recognised the problem is real and is taking concrete steps to try and stop it. Maybe those steps will be too little too late but that still puts him a significant cut above most real-world capitalists and national leaders.

Please keep us updated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
https://twitter.com/thenation/status/1299519388706648066?s=20