Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh thank god I'm glad there are goons from the future here to tell me the game was always bad. Those reviews had me tricked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

here's the context behind Lumpy's review

So maybe trust the people that actually played the game. Like this person!

My roommate is buying the game so I'm just going to play it after he's done with it unless the user reviews are awful (in which case I will just play more Mass Effect probably).

Not to get into a fight about defending a game that isn't out yet but watching a steam and playing a game are two different things. A game can look like poo poo on a steam and still be a great game. The first couple posts being about how it is a bad game from people who have not played it is really dumb.

Also Riverdale is surprisingly good.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Niche games also tend to have more drip info and weird drama around them to talk about. I honestly have no idea what this thread would be about before the game came out. I guess everyone talking about zoids?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I guess it is Ubisoft backlash but that seems so weird to me. The hate on that open world style is misguided, that style is just a canvas that a good game or a bad game can be built around. Shadow of Mordor, AC: Syndicate, Watch Dogs 2, are all good games using that format.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gato posted:

I don't have a particular horse in this race since I've only just become aware of this game but for the sake of balance here are a couple of non-glowing reviews from Mainstream Gaming Websites (TM):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-19-horizon-zero-dawn-review
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/02/20/horizon-zero-dawn-the-good-the-bad-the-boring
(Notably, neither has a numerical score.)

I'm sure you can nitpick those reviews and other negative impressions, but it's not just a case of goon contrarianism. Maybe it's possible for people to have different opinions on things?

Yeah, those make it sound like a decent game with some flaws. Still sounds worth playing to me. People can totally have different opinions on thing but I'm still going to poo poo on someone for telling us how bad a game is to play because they watched a stream while doing chores.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

This is impossible in a world where Bloodborne exists

Yeah, Bloodborne and Nioh both exist.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

Haha what? On what planet is this woman not eminently fuckable?

Also, which outlet/writer is going to be first on the "Horizon actually sucks because the strong woman is white and thin and pretty" trigger? Can we get a pool going?

She isn't blond and you can't see her boobs. Unfuckable.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

There is nothing to actually talk about because the game doesn't come out for another week. It has nothing controversial about it and there is no drama in its development. We've got poo poo to actually post about.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Guys, if this game is actually bad does that mean Breath of the Wild is also bad? They are both open world games which have always been bad.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I like to assume that gamefaqs is entirely 13-15 year olds because that was how old I was when I posted there. The idea of it being anything else is too upsetting.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

I mean I hate it when devs draw attention to ~omg look how progressive we can be please inflate our scores and thus metacritic average~ but holy poo poo these reactions would have you think the main character was Tess Holliday in a "Die Cis Scum" t-shirt and the plot was a gender swapped version of Bitch Planet.

I'd play the poo poo out of that game.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I've got my copy pre-loading because I'm excited for it and I'm sick pre-ordering filth.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

RatHat posted:

People actually buy those for new IPs? Like I can kinda understand doing it for an established series you already know you love but something like this...

It's all plastic poo poo, why does it matter if it is new plastic poo poo or nostalgic plastic poo poo?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

There is some uncanny valley stuff going on. Most characters look fine but a few of them look like Disney animatronics breaking down, they just twitch too much as they talk. I also wish the characters talked more with their hands. Most characters limply holding them at their sides as they talk just makes them feel weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Once you get into the later parts of the game stealth is much more about recon and taking out the smaller machines that hang around your big target.