Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I thought it was a swiss army knife lol

Also for Bellowbacks just pop the appropriate resist potion first before arrow spamming. They are so big you don't even need the handling mods. Source: I was farming the fire ones for a heart yesterday. Fire pot, 2 freeze grenades and then arrow spam takes them down really fast. Try not to pop their tank / gullet unless it would finish them because apparently only one debuff can be active at a time and I'd rather have freeze up than burning on them.

It was nice revenge because the one in the cauldron was kicking my rear end so much when I didn't have a good strategy on them. He did teach me how good resist pots are, though. I really appreciate how resist pots do not compete with other craftables for mats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Throw ... the rocks?

Am I missing something?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I use rocks to gather mobs by a Blaze barrel or to turn them around for a Silent Strike.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The sling's lingering aoe also applies status, and it seems to add signicantly more than the war bow in my experience. The war bow is almost exclusively used to pop canisters, and it is very good (and the sling sucks) at that.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I think what's happening is the ropecaster is pulling off an armor plate.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Question: I've been going around collecting stuff and found an interesting map icon past a big bird. I can climb up pretty far but seem to get stuck. Is this opened by plot or am I blind?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Fire pot, freeze it then spam arrows into it. Don't aim for a particular part, just get close and spam. If freeze is about to fade try to pop the butt tank / gullet for extra damage then freeze it again.

I struggled a lot of him too but I used this strat to farm my heart taking down around 20 of the things, 3 at a time.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Is there any real use for Fire mods? It seems pretty trivial to light machines that aren't strong against fire, and the mod doesn't increase the dot damage (damage ones do).

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Snak posted:

Fire is actually the lamest element.

Eh, it's close but probably shock is the weakest for me. Fire has niche uses, whereas everything I shock is only because I can't easily freeze it.

Except packs of Longlegs. Shock is pretty fun then.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Yeah but then your fire damage tickles. Maybe tossing them on a sling for aoe bombs in specific situations, but halving the dot damage to use one arrow instead of 3 (especially when triple notched arrows are available) seems like a losing trade.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Is there any armor that's designed to be ridiculously good at stealth?

So much so that I ran into the middle of a Shadow Carja base without realizing the occupants were hostile until I got a little close to one and the Silent Strike option appeared.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The neck sack is easy to hit. The blaze canisters on top have armor plating that needs to be stripped regardless.

Edit thought you were talking about a different machine, should not post before caffeine

derra fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 9, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I got to say, that beginning bit with the dad wishing his son a happy birthday and everything being gone and forgotten got me pretty hard. This poo poo has worked on me since I read Alas, Babylon in the third grade.

More touching was Aloy's response. She was so desperate for human interaction.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Snak posted:

I have mixed feelings on the war bow. It applies a lot less per shot than the sling, but it's easier to hit targets at a longer distance. The sling's range is insane, but the draw time is longer for max range, and for moving targets it's trickier than the war bow.

The bow is for breaking canisters. Sling applies effects.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Snak posted:

War bow. The war bow is for applying elemental effects.

Unless you mean "use the war bow to shoot ice canisters with ice arrows", in which case, yes, it's better than the sling for that. But otherwise the war bow is a shock/ice/corruption application device.

edit: ^ I have never tried a rattler. I roll with a Sharpshot, Hunter Bow, Ropecaster, and either a sling or warbow for elemental application. I like the sling a lot, but like I said, the war bow has some advantages.

Yes, that is the weapon I was talking about. Hardpoints don't even break canisters, just knock them off. The sling is better at applying effects, but if you need a canister destroyed Fire arrows or the War Bow is the way to go.

I've been using handling mods in my Sharpshoot bow and prefer that to other mods I've tried. I mainly use it as a Tearblast arrow source, and those have enough tear already, whereas the rate of fire increase is substantial.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Harrow posted:

They're worse at tearing than tearblast arrows, but the pieces they tear off have additional components for you to loot. I dunno, though, when I'm tearing pieces off of a huge machine, I care more about killing the machine than I do about what I'm going to pick up from the pieces I knocked off later. The real loot is on the main machine body, anyway. I can get metal shards/blaze/etc. anywhere.

They're probably useful if you're running low on those sorts of materials and you know where to hunt smaller or medium-sized machines where you can shoot off components to get more of them.

Harvest arrows do give 6x resources when you knock off components if you need them (this works on dead creatures if you knock off the canisters before you loot the body).

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The only time there was any slowdown for me was when I tied down a Stormbird and it started spinning wildly. Obviously non intended. Otherwise, nothing despite how many rocks are being spit at me.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Silent running is the best skill in the game, hands down. Triple arrow has its uses but the rapid reload in concentration is generally better.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Dumbest skill is arrows on a rope. Really, that costs 2 talent points?

Crit, silent strike and Hunters reflexes are amazing for 1 pt each.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

bear is driving! posted:

Yeah, there is a sidequest near the one Carja town where you have to hunt down some rear end in a top hat doctor to cure a sick woman.

Not necessarily micro.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Shnooks posted:

I just wear all stealth armor and sneak up on everything.

Sparkworker gear on Stormbirds and Banuk frost resist on Snapmaws and Glinthawks and this is me.

I got the shield armor for the achievement but never put it on.

Also, bought ALL THE ARMOR to play Fashion Dawn.

Hit a frozen Thunderjaw for just short of 3500 damage last night with a sticky bomb, was satisfying to see him drop from 50 to 0.

derra fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 21, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I guess I never used Tearblast Arrows as much as I should have because I have so many Echo Cells.

But really despite the fact that two Frost Slings is now my standard opener, I continue to have so much chillwater. It's just so easy against anything but Snapmaws and Glinthawks to freeze them with a +frost sling and then machinegun arrows into them with a hunter bow hardpoint arrows stacked with +damage.

Try out Sticky Bombs with a damage modded sling instead of the hardpoint.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
No, but enemies will often attack where they last saw you / think where you are so moving to a new patch is advisable.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

I would add also getting the Tinker skill ASAP because it allows you to swap out weapon mods without losing them.

Eh, by the time you get purple mods you generally have or are close to purple weapons and you can wait a bit to replace a +39 mod with a +42.

My advice would be:

Get Silent Strike with one of your initial points.

Stealth is really powerful. The stealth line and gear let you deal with small and medium machines and humans and I would recommend it with the appropriate gear.

To explode a canister you have to hit it with the appropriate elemental arrow from your hunter or war bow. Other sources of elemental damage such as slings will not cause explosions. Neither will non elemental arrows (but they will do additional damage or potentially knock the part off). Some other types of parts explode, but from damage (like Bellowback tanks). Check your database!

Even if you want to explore the map getting to Meridian asap allows you to buy most of the weapons or armor, so it's worth it to hoof it there asap.

To inflict status elements, hit the enemy with elemental damage until the circle fills up. Only then does the effect kick in. You can't reapply or extend the effect until the original one wears off.

Nothing is permanently missable (except for Odd Grata at the very beginning?) and dialog / reaction choices have no gameplay consequences.

derra fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 27, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Gravy Jones posted:

Headed up a mountain to get one of those metal flowers, and there was a pass up there that I don't think you ever have to use, you could just fast travel back after getting the flower, but I went over it anyway and the view was just holy poo poo, this loving game. Genuinely breathtaking. I mean like any open world game there's a lot of "filler" in the map, but some of the filler here is just absolutely gorgeous.

On the west side of the map, there's a climb going between the lower and higher tiers that takes you in and out of waterfalls that was stunning. First time in any gam e I had to recommend a tourist destination to my wife.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How do I get back into mother's watch? I know a power cell is there but the gate is locked and I can't fast travel in.

It will open up later in the main story. Even so, it's not the last accessible one even if you wait for that, so don't worry about getting it for now.

derra fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 27, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Drop shock bombs + tripwire underneath the logs and scare them into running there.

This. Firing a sling way to the back and right of them will send them all down the closest path, which you have rigged with shock to stun them right under the traps.

Edit - Somehow Olin managed to kill a corruptor with a log trap in my most recent play through. I laughed.

derra fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 29, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Weapon rarity also is different in Horizon in that the base stats are unchanged, but you get access to different ammo types and thus can do more cool things. Yes there are more mod slots, but if you can't kill big game to get lots of purple mods it doesn't make that much of a difference. The only complaint I have is that several blue weapons unlock at Daytower with their purple versions at Meridian and there are no real obstacles in between.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
No. Even if you do the final mission, the game spits you right before it again after completion so you can finish up whatever or run it again. Nothing missable.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Between levels and quests, you will fill out the skill tree.

No datalog, quest, collectible or anything required for 100% game progress or the platinum is permanently missable.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Uh, except for bugs I guess. Patch notes says they've added a workaround, but I would avoid fast travelling off of ... very tall machines. Rappel down instead. Not needed for the platinum, though.

derra fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 31, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Something about leaving the area and returning? I've never had the issue myself to check.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Psh you all bitch about wire, I'm selling it wholesale.

Blaze on the other hand I actually had to go out and harvest once.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Rattler is your best option for damage before hitting Meridian against some of the bigger machines like Bellowbacks and Tramplers. I prefer Hardpoints when available, though.

Using Shock Bolts might be effective later in the game if you want to lock something down between statuses and play super safe. I don't shock or ropecast things anymore, but tie down a mob, apply frost with slings, then shock bolts with damage mods would still do decent damage while you build up the stun, then you can repeat.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Stand still and roll when the ! mark appears. Toss freeze bombs at it, then when frozen aim for the ventilation duct on their backs, it's relatively easy to hit for a weak spot.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The rattler is good for a) doing respectable damage while applying freeze / frost, and b) being the best damage source (especially against large machines like Bellowbacks) prior to Hardpoint arrows. The green one is good on your way to Meridian.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

When is it possible/practical to grind whatever this item is I need to craft tear arrows for my sharpshooter bow? I only had enough to craft 5 when trying to do this Hunting Trial to knock parts off a bunch of deer, but I only got two of the "medals" (instead of all three) so I need to try it again and only have two arrows left. Buying them is also prohibitively expensive (I don't want to spend 90 shards on 5 arrows).

Also, is there anything stopping someone from grinding a poo poo ton of blaze canisters (and whatever else the deer guys drop) by repeatedly doing trials at this place? It seems like doing a trial spawns a group, which you can then blow up pretty easily with fire arrows (and they drop mats to make more fire arrows).

Longlegs drog them but if you are low you can stun them with tripwires or shock grenades and knock off parts with standard arrows.

Blaze farming is a great source of income. Harvester arrows give you a ton of mats if you use them to shoot the parts off the carcasses.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Talk about complex characters, Rost is even better than Ted for me. A good man and a terrible yet earnest father. Game really conveyed a lot of depth in his and Aloy's relationship in a short amount of time.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Much later in the game you learn more about Rost's backstory that provides a lot of context for how he raised Aloy. He was basically put in an impossible situation.

I really like taking the Fist option when Rost tells Aloy she won't see him again because it leads to a nice moment when you return to his house later on.

I certainly don't envy Rost's situation, but in this case the very skills and character traits that led him to be ... successful ... would not allow him to be a good father, especially to Aloy. He tried really drat hard though. It's why I think their relationship is so interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I don't think draft animals existed in the Americas until after Europeans got here and there were huge empires and a lot of buildings, Egyptians also only used human labor for the pyramids.

I mean, camels originated in the Americas and llamas and their kin still live here, do they count?