Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Wanderer posted:

You don't have your hands on it. The person playing may suck at the game (sit your rear end down, Polygon, I see you trying to sneak out) or be constantly keeping up the streamer equivalent of "snappy patter," breaking immersion or drowning out dialogue. You aren't discovering the game's quirks or fine details on your own. You don't have a feel for how the game controls. You're attempting to get a feel for a personally crafted experience secondhand, through the filter of someone else, which will always be weak tea compared to doing it yourself.

Watching a stream is a perfectly legitimate way to learn more about a game you might be interested in, and you're welcome to decide whether or not you'll play a game based upon such things, but it's nothing you should be hanging a critical judgment upon, just as you shouldn't critically evaluate a movie based upon its trailer. It'll always be a tyrannical "but": "I haven't played it, but--"

As such, this new breed of goon commentator who feel compelled to poo poo all over a game on launch week because they watched their favorite twenty-something stream monkey mug their way through it gets right on my nerves. It's a profound display of poor critical thinking skills and they should be forced to sit in the corner and think about what they've done.

This is a very good post. I like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

But, you know, gently caress Ubisoft Open World style games.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

Lmfao. Truly a burn from which he will never recover.

It's silly for him to have such a strong opinion on this poo poo and have the most egregious offender in the genre, is all.

So anyways, anyone else notice that they animated Aloy's legs to maneuver around the horse if you rotate the camera 360 degrees? She doesn't just snap around to face the other way. It's a really cool small detail.