Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Reveilled posted:

Replying to a post from the PC thread since I don't want to fill it with spoilers:

I think the thing which really sells it is that post apocalyptic fantasy, where the apocalypse is in the present day, is always based on the premise that there are survivors, so as a player inserting yourself into that fantasy, deep down you always imagine that you would have survived. Zero Dawn confronts you, the player with the truth, you weren't one of the few survivors; in this universe, you and everyone you love died a horrific, painful death, just the same as the people in the recordings, you probably recorded similar messages to those on the front lines or the people back home, and you died never knowing the truth. I think that's what makes it work so well, you as the player experience an emotional connection to those people in a way Aloy and Sylens just can't, because to them it's ancient history.

There is a sense of fatalism about it, yeah.

It sort of breaks the fourth wall, but that's probably also why it works. At least these days - with "climate grief" being a thing, etc.

Edit: I still haven't finished the game, so I probably won't be discussing stuff in here yet.

itry fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

exquisite tea posted:

Who is gonna get this $1099 Aloy statue? With the US stimulus check going for roughly the same amount, you'd almost be an idiot NOT to buy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_h2cJophxU

Ugh. Overpriced merch.

And it all looks computer generated. The product probably doesn't even exist yet.