Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just hit the credits screen and god drat what a ride. Took a long detour to the DLC before heading to Meridian and I think it really helped the whole story gel (also helped that Frozen Wilds creatures actually felt lethal while I was mostly overlevelled for the main story).

I think I unloaded a whole set of Rattler bolts on Ted's dumb holoface after learning about what he did to Apollo and to the Alphas. What a loving oval office.
The fate of Odyssey felt like a perfect gently caress You in addition to everything going on.

Also wtf with the the first few pages and Randomzx???

//what the gently caress post credits stinger?!?

blackguy32 posted:

Just beat the game and I didn't really expect the game to be that sad as a whole. I feel like I need to play something uplifting now.
Same. I got some crazy existential anxiety playing through it. The logs don't really mention it but just imagine the insane suicide/riots that would have broken out over a terminator swarm.

blackguy32 posted:

I will probably need to read a synopsis when I finish, because I got the main gist of it, but
My take:
gently caress Ted has a log where he goes batshit and mentions addition by subtraction or something. That's his Kill Apollo moment, but I also think he accidentally coded in the Hades unshackling... possibly to zero out the first gen of humanity and make it even less likely the second or third go would be able to recover any tech and find out what a HUGE FLAMING ASSWAD he was. My initial fear was that hardcore nihilist coderbro wrote some bad code because f humanity but it seems more like Ted hosed it up again.

If they do a sequel, I wonder if it'll be in search of the subroutines that were released into the wilds.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

jabro posted:

It seems to impossible to gently caress mankind twice but he found a way.
I really hope a sequel reveals he didnt delete Apollo but instead was redacting everything so The Good Ted Faro would be seen as a knowledge-bringer and savior of mankind...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FAUXTON posted:

That's bullshit, there should not be a good Ted.

I hope that locket of Elizabet's has a bootleg copy of Apollo that she got Tate to crack the DRM on.
Nah. It's still F U Ted because of all the collateral damage.
the holologs will reveal he slowly lost his grip and goes from recasting himself as the librarian gatekeeper of man's knowledge to a wannabe cult leader wanting eternal worship.

Elisabet is in the middle of those triangle flower patches the Metal Flowers spring up from. pretty sure Apollo was encoded on some kind of DNA so maybe she messed with some to plant knowledge archives or favorite poems as she went.

Also, i'm all in on the gently caress SYLENS ground floor and will pay 49 US American Dollars for gently caress Ted Faro DLC

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 21, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have a feeling we'll find either Elysium or Thebes in the "forbidden west" or whatever it was called.

Maybe more bunkers or crucibles?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
And all the gals thirsty for Aloy that she just kind of brushes off because she's clueless.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ah, I forgot she was kind of vibing on one of the Nora braves briefly. she even mentions it when you talk to Rost's... site.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I am so loving glad this game didn't have romance options . . .
I do wish we could've ridden around on more things.
A CONTRADICTION!

FAUXTON posted:

You can jump on the robots during fights but it's admittedly nothing at all like SOTC/tallnecks.

A fave of mine is using frost on a Tjaw, climbing up its back, using the Tearblast to rip off the back paneling, and just unleashing a fuckton of fire arrows on the Blaze cores.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I deeply apologize for this dumb tangent that isnt gently caress TED FARO.

I like how the hologram with Elisabet being told just how completely Ted poo poo the bed is just fulllll of this subtext that says "You loving waste of oxygen what the gently caress do you want now"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Rope + Tearblast/Tearrows are great for taking off plates and making it easier to detonate the blast container bits. Having them roped also makes it easier to switch to the icerod thing and just spam freeze on em. And you'll need to take care of that chestplate because it'll trigger a counter to your freeze as soon as you land the condition.
Don't forget to drop a bunch of tripropes/mines around the field to help slow down the thing's progress.

Haven't tackled U/Hard yet, but the best moment I had playing was going against a TJaw and then realizing very quickly thay I was outclassed. Run away, take on a mission then realize "Hey, I have terablast arrows". Proceed to make short work of its most lethal weapons, and then through a drawn out fight, took it down. Guarantee that when you put the last arrow through that Claw it'll feel great.

Something about the Viewpoint sidequest has been on my mind a bit, specifically when the guy mentions he's receiving 6xBasic for his work out of college. Really cemented this idea that runs through the game that is the absolute antithesis of the Millennial End of History concept, where most problems will have a neat solution in our lifetimes. They won't, and they'll breed new problems for us to tackle. UBI is like a holy grail now, but that sidestory shows that it still was insufficient without a host of cultural transformations.
There's something hopeful and cynical at the same time about it, and I completely love it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In the last few days, I've become convinced that I found the moment Ted's dumb techbro brain breaks:

When you learn about Elisabet's sacrifice to seal Gaia Prime and come across the digital altar for her, Ted's audio message reads:
"Hello, Lis. I know... I know you're never gonna hear this. That's not the point. You, ah, you got to play the savior and the martyr all at once this time. Great work."
I'm convinced it's this moment when he realizes that the future generations are going to learn all about this nonsense and instead of being hailed as the man who saved the future from eco-ruin, will be cast as the idiot who turned the great Sobek away, used all his goodwill to build killbots, and ultimately had to come crawling back to Elisabet when his hubris bit him in the dick. They'll learn of the woman who launched an ambitious project to save man, raced against time to get it done, and then cast her life aside so that the future generations had a chance.

And Ted will be the boogeyman in the corner, relegated to cutting an enormous check to make it happen and buy everyone's silence.

It's kind of this moment that speaks to him, shows him actions live on in a way he hadn't considered. And the implications are terrifying to him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's just no room to breathe when he gets going, ya know.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My initial playthrough didn't use the whistle until I had spent like an hour trying to best the Shadow Carja trial with all the stealth kills of those little watcher fucks.
It made things too easy so I just resorted to it when I really wanted to max the stealth kills.

It just unbalanced the game a bit too much for me

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GreenNight posted:

Hey if I beat the game should I do the expansion before or can I do it after?
If you're not on UltraHard, I recommend jumping in around Lvl 35 or so. The difficulty curve will be SUPER obvious and you'll need to be very careful for a while. But, for me, it really made the DLC seem impactful since I was steamrolling most of the mid-tier bots by then.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You're going to want to punch yourself in the dick when you get to the Later game bots if that's your approach.

The tactical aspect of the game is what makes it really rewarding. You can legit go through the game just using plain arrows, or you can mix up traps + elementals, etc. When you get a feel for when to use the tools you have and everything clicks into place, it just makes the game shine.

Personally, I never really used the arrow set with corruption or the proxbomb sling. But I spammed the hell out of tearblast arrows.

Try incorporating the tripcaster first, especially in groups. You'll figure out what works for your playstyle.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 6, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The story goes to great lengths to basically yell at you that Ted himself is worth about as much as the sad cumstains he likely left on the pleasuredroids at his dumb prepper pyramid hideout, and it's really lucky he worked with Elisabet to develop the Green Robots that made his fortune. he huffs his own fart supply so much afterwards that he thinks making military hardware for superkilling is the next logical step for growth.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So two weird things I've been wondering about.

1) Aloy is a clone, but only shares 99.4x% genes with Sobek. just randomization from the birthing process or maybe genetically encoded information for the sequels?

2) a Horus has its tentacle burrowed through the Nora stronghold, about 50 ft from the main door. Was that chamber compromised somehow and noted by the Swarm.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

morallyobjected posted:

I would guess maybe sample degradation for the first one.
Which is a little weird if Lightkeeper was supposed to be multi-generational and not just a one-shot extension. it'd be like xeroxing nth generation copies if there wasn't a way to get a perfect dupe.
Or maybe GAIA was pressed and figured close enough.

exquisite tea posted:

For the second question, I guessed it might be that
Yeah, I agree. The thing that's crazy is there's so much environmental storytelling going on there. It's just framed perfectly in the game and you can completely not register it the first time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Probably more like Oregon/Washington. I'd say that was probably where Thebes was located, but pretty sure the massive battles they talk about took out California and the coastal cities weeks before Zero Dawn.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Iirc that's basically what happens when Nintendo decides to be weird. You get bunnies as stand in characters for Splatoon because they were interested in the ink mechanic or "can we make a game about flying" that becomes StarFox.

They just got lucky their writers were loving amazing and no one was handing memos like "well does EVERYONE have to die?" "All the science is too confusing can it be VR?!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well that poo poo Sylens knows how to now. and who knows about the Forbidden Lands. There was that one tribe that had the tame droids in GAIA's calmfield or whatever.

In a fevered dream of Advil Cold and Sinus + Benadryl + Dramamine I have determined the arc I want for the series
Horizon 2: Aloy goes West to find the source of the signal and in the process cages GAIA's subfuncts. Silens loving sucks for some reason and does some dumb Ted poo poo for knowledge that gets him killed iono maybe he tries to uoload his brain to the FocusNet or something. gently caress sylens. the .6% DNA discrepancy is explored.

H3: Aloy defeats the Faro swarm once and for all by causing the nanites to consome each other, finds that the Unshackling Signal was sent by a FaroAI that has gone senile and severs its connection to the world leaving it deaf in a hellprison of eternal torment. uses Hephaesteus to reformat the FAS bots (nanite free) into something useful.

post credits scene, Great Matriarch Aloy oversees an important event. We see Nora of all ages with Focus devices, hunting, scanning wildlife, etc. Aloy says something about this being a long time coming as the intro to Apollo plays and the Focii suddenly are able to communicate vast amounts of knowledge to their users. maybe something about them meeting her mother, Elisabet, so they can learn about her work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
RDJ's just a temporarily embarrassed Republican.

The real Ted for our times is totally Elon "Gonna Launch a bunch of Satellites what is Keppler Syndrome?" Musk. He's totally the kind of idiot who would get high off of his own supply and gently caress something up real bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

blackguy32 posted:

Any advice for someone who has beat the game and going to start playing it?
The first medium-sized bot you come across is going to feel like a huge loving deal -- like the first time you tried to take down a Thunderjaw. Take it slow to begin and bask in the awesome environment when you're slowly slinking away from them.

Frozen Wilds is probably where I actually started to use all the tools the game had thrown at me (the tripwires, snare, cold arrows) because otherwise I was getting loving rocked.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FAUXTON posted:

Faro ran a stable and profitable business though
It's arguable it was stable and profitable because Elisabet had the vision and drive to make the Green Robot thing actually work.

Before then he was a 3rd string provider of housekeeping and bodyguard bots.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

dantheman650 posted:

I just started this game and there’s a lot to take in. Are there any good tips for just starting out? Or should I just jump in?
This isn't the type of game where you only have so many upgrade points, so don't worry that you'll lock yourself out of poo poo. The unlocks that helped me out early were the ones that extended your med kit and that allowed you to carry more poo poo. Because early on its all about learning your playstyle and making mistakes.

You get the ropecaster along with the standard bow when you start and that can help out when you feel overwhelmed by groups. Traps are also good if you need a place to run back to if it gets crazy, but I preferred the triplines.

Using your Focus to mark things and keep track of the enemy weak points helps take them down real quick and will help you build up your Blaze supply early on. You can take a good chunk of enemies out if you damage the containers and then shoot with the appropriate ammo (blaze causes a huge explosion for example).
Speaking of elementals, Fire is good for inflicting damage over time, corruption will get enemies to fight each other for a time, ice increases the damage you do and electricity is good to incapacitate for a short time. BUT you need to hit them multiple times until the little status symbol's indicator fills up for the bonus to take effect.

And yeah, you'll get flooded with a ton of missions and stuff when you first head out. The maps for purchase are helpful to keep track of the collectibles, and there's something you can find early on that won't actually be available until the endgame so don't worry too much about some of the quests.

Oh, and you'll start getting access to a bunch of different combat tools aside from the bow and ropes. Go at your own pace to find what works and what doesn't for you. You can always craft or buy ammo if you run out. Eventually, you'll find that an enemy is just not going down... that's when you start getting creative with the tools they give you. It's a real great moment when it all clicks together.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 5, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

dantheman650 posted:

I just started this game and there’s a lot to take in.
Please also remember to keep us appraised of your opinion with respect to Ted Faro (Dick).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I got my poo poo wrecked by a Watcher and Scrapper, then couldn't get through a trio of Scrappers a few days later.

The thing about those fights was I was treating it as a FPS. I wasn't aiming strategically. I wasn't using the Focus to track and keep in mind the weakpoints. Wasn't being aware of the enemies around me. I probably died to those three 10 times before I had a fighting chance. And even then, I was using JUST the plain arrows and bow.

Unlocking some of the skill tree items helps a bunch, like the ones that slow down time when you aim. But you really do pick up a measure of skill. You remember the points your're supposed to aim at. And it's super cool later on when it's clicking and you can just tear through those guys that gave you trouble before. Because by then you get to the bigger robots and the attitude is "I can probably take it" :getin:

The game throws a lot of stuff at you and kind of wants you to intuit how to string things /mechanics together. They help you along with some of the weapon sub-missions because they just force you to use them for points. But I was waaaaaay into the campaign before I realized oh, the little status symbol when I use special ammo needs to fill up before the status effect actually works

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 23, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SubponticatePoster posted:

I kept getting my rear end handed to me and put it down.
No, those drat flamecats they throw at you in Frozen Wilds are loving fierce. They cover so much ground and their pounce is juuuuuust off enough so they bait you into an early roll.

I'm half sure they start with that just to throw the player momentum off.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

dantheman650 posted:

I guess I don’t understand the basic combat. I hit a robot’s weak spot with an arrow, it drains about 25% of its HP, then it charges me and I die before I can get another shot off.

Do you have the tripwire weapon yet? Or the traps? Because you can set some trips or traps, fire at them, wait for them to get caught in a trap and then shank them or shoot more arrows at em.

Just one way you can start using the weapons to craft combat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

On flamebacks you can't use fire to blow up the huge sack of fuel.
Bellowbacks? I know you can blow up the gullet, pretty sure you can blow up the big container ball too

NOPE, I'M WRONG, Skwirl got it. You can only use the regular arrows to cause an explosion, fire wont do it.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 24, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, it operates the same as the status-ailment arrows: fill meter for max effect.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I dunno. Maybe an engine limitation. It does force you to kind of stick to a general playstyle unless you constantly re-equip poo poo

E: with all the ammo types, having everything on there would make fine selection a bit of a hassle.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ytlaya posted:

How useful is the sharpshooter bow and the war bow?

Also, I noticed that war bow is for applying status effects, but apparently the slinger is also meant for this?
Iirc, the Sharpshooter is good for distance? Like sniping?
I used the rapid fire bow in the first third. When I was able to unlock more of the skill tree, switched over to the bow that has a longer charge time because the damage was better.

I usually notch two or three arrows if I want status stuff. The slinger I use if I just want to go HAM on a big enemy and drop some additional damage with the effect or dont need to aim

And yeah, aim at the ground. You'll pop an arrow in that stays up so you can go across the ground. Really good for setting up traps. Nothing like doing a few explosive+fire lines for those charging assholes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You do. It's very late in the game and, as you'd expect, resonates with his tutelage of Aloy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The only time I needed to farm was for one of those hunter challenges.

I think I had over 2,000 arrow sticks at one point and went a while not obsessively collecting wood sticks. And now on NG+ I go through a buttload of arrows.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ytlaya posted:

I like all the random lore things you find with stuff from the pre-apocalypse world. I'm a huge sucker for stuff like that.
I would suggest you start looking for Vantage Points, if that's something you're enjoying about the setting...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sylens is either gonna get an AI shoved into his brain and turned into some unholy walking abomination or do some heinous poo poo in search of anything left of Apollo. Maybe both!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SynthesisAlpha posted:

At no point in playing the game did I tire of full Sprint powersliding into a robot and gutting it with silent strike.
Holy poo poo how did I never think about doing this?!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheMaestroso posted:

Part of it is sequencing, but also you can make use of the TJaw's disc weapons after tearblasting them off.
Yeah, the loving discs make the challenge.

I think what I did was Override, rope the TJ, override the other ravager, tearblast TJ, Ice TJ, disc launcher it to hell.

Also helps to target that exposed processor core heart.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

dantheman650 posted:

Again, how can you even override both ravagers? They are so far apart and it takes so long to override one. I can just barely get both of them in time.
I cheesed it a bit and waited on the hill until one was fairly close. I may have roped the other one to get it in place to override, I can't remember that bit.

I also abused the gently caress out of slowmo while jumping, iirc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm gonna be the voice of insanity and say do it before you really get into the mid-lategame.

I basically ran straight to Frozen Wilds once it opened up and it was a total blast. It felt to me like the DLC was the crucible that forged Aloy's notoriety. Here's this total outsider that blunders into this inhospitable land, with bots way, way tougher than the run-of-the-mill poo poo in the flatlands, and with a group of people that are in the middle of a crisis and not very helpful. And by the end of the thing she's not only made some headway into the state of the world that was and the nature of the current threat, but also become a legend in her own right.

Then you get back to the arid lands and everyone's like "Oh it's that redheaded girl" and you're like "killed a bunch of firespitting stealthbots... what else you got for me?"

Plus, well, the DLC throws some insanely good mods and skins your way...

VvV
I SHOULD PROBABLY note that I was running through the map trying to get every collectible/sidequest possible at the time so I was way comfy with upgrades. Still, DLC is where the weapons system finally came together for me. It's equivalent to the first time I got trampled by a TJaw, failed two more times, took a break and thought. . . "Hey, what if I try..." and took the fucker out by the skin if my teeth.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I felt it was q nice way to decompress after all the storybits were wrapped up. Don't you already have like 2 under your belt by that point anyway?