Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

You'll want to upgrade your bows. It's not about the damage, it's about different ammo types. The standard bows will have one ammo type, the Carja will have two and the Shadow bows have three (this is true for most weapons). The damage comes primarily from modifications you add to them, and the better bows have more slots.

In the case of the Sharpshooter Bow, the ammo types are -.

Precision Arrow - High damage, long range, expensive to craft.

Harvest Arrow - Used to tear parts off machines - where a normal arrow knocks off one part to loot, the Harvest arrows give you multiples when you loot.

Tearblast Arrow - Explosive arrow that knocks parts off machines very easily. Note that modifications don't affect this ammo type.

I finished this last week and it was an amazing ride (gently caress you Ted), however, I want to note this seems to be wrong.
I've got my shadow sharpshot modded with triple tear bonuses, and the tearblast arrows do 234 tear each which is great for those pesky disk launchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

Unless it's changed recently that's the way it's always been. Tearblast has the explosion and that's a set amount of tear.

Unmodded, they only do 100 tear.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

One of the Zero Dawn datapoints mentions an unrestricted version of APOLLO onboard the Odyssey which ~*allegedly*~ exploded so there's another potential backup source.

it didn't explode till past the outer planets if I remember the log right

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Smol posted:

Okay, since I’m finally done with other games, it’s time to play this again. My plan is to try out Ultra Hard on NG but to lower the difficulty before buying items from vendors, since 5x prices sound like too much of a grind.

I also forgot to play the DLC in my first playthrough, so experiencing it should be fun!

(I started an UH playthrough like 6 months ago but lost the save file, since my old PS4 broke. Think I got to the Carja Fort back then.)

I *think* NG+, and possibly UH+ specifically, locks the difficulty once you start.

edit: As of Patch 1.50 any chosen difficulty for New Game+ is locked for the entirety of the story progress. Previously this only applied to the Ultra Hard difficulty.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 18, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Smol posted:

Holy poo poo, I forgot how good this game looks :staredog:

It looks great on my older 1080p LED TV, I can't wait to see it again in 4k when the dog eventually breaks the current TV.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

I think it's mentioned somewhere that a lot did die, though the wildlife wasn't hostile - the way they treat "the derangement" in the story makes it clear they weren't dealing with hostile robotic wildlife until the mystery signal broke GAIA's control.

If i was remebering the assorted data points, its probably about a 100 years since they kids got kicked out and the derangement started about 15 years back (or however old Aloy is). (Based on "the history of the Carja" texts)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lumpy posted:

It was a lot longer than that. You don't build up the level of civilization they have in that tiny period. EDIT: A timeline I looked at says it was a bit over 700 years from them getting the boot to Aloy being born. Even that seems way too short for the cultures that have developed. But, hey, it's a video game!

Ahh, i thought the carja texts were only showing 5ish generations of sun kings

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I feel like I've been remiss since finishing this game:

gently caress Ted Faro

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I pretty much used stealth for recon in bigger fights, and once i was ready would just roll the gently caress on in.

Occasionally snipe a watcher, but i stopped R1 killing things pretty quickly in favor of harvesting the resource and moving on.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

How are you supposed to get some of the belly containers off the thunderjaws?

Run, hit a slide between the legs, draw and tear/harvest arrow them?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I usually knock off the disc launchers, leave them on the ground, and then freeze the big boi then hit the heart panel for like 3k damage with a triple shot from a 3 damage mod boosted sharpshot bow.

But sometimes i just want to try and harvest all the things.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Echo shells I'd run out of, but Blaze is the easiest thing in the game to farm.

I still ran out once or twice in a particularly bomby fight. It gets a little hairy.

Farming blaze gets slightly annoying once the canisters get armored.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

My take is that

Either that or everything we were told about Project Zero Dawn was a lie and this process has actually occurred several times by now. :tinfoil:

It was designed to happen a few times until GAIA got the terraforming right, and then she'd start making babies.

We can assume she made the babies a dozen-ish+ generations ago based on sun king records, but may have had to have Hades wipe it clean a couple times between the shutdown codes and "well, gently caress I guess Apollo isn't coming online
(gently caress You Ted Faro)and we're out of nutrient paste. Have fun kids. Don't gently caress your sister and good luck."

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 29, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I thought Olin was Faro

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I really wish you could do more with overridden bots.

At the least have them follow for a bit vs stand here and watch/wait for a trigger.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

CobiWann posted:

You know, all the villains and all the bad guys in gaming/movies/comics, I don't think I've ever seen someone cosplay Ted Faro.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

God damnit Ted.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

to be fair, this comes up a lot (the project was discontinued in like 2015)

But do we really need much of an excuse to say say gently caress Ted Faro?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

HONK

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

No, you're thinking of The Frozen Worlds.

No, you're thinking of The Frozen Wastes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The gently caress Ted Faro show is coming to Summer GDQ:

Friday, August 21st

Runner: Elkjaer 
Estimate: 0:55:00
Options: TFW NG+ Ultra Hard — PS4

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

v1ld posted:

After is better, it doesn't tie into the main story and is leveled assuming you completed the main game.

The game drops you back right before the final mission when you complete the game. That's a good time to hit the DLC. There's no post-game save.

It doesn't super tie into the main story, but the Frozen Wilds characters will have comments/different dialogue based on things that happened in the main story-line.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TFW NG+ Ultra Hard in under an hour for charity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k09UufDlUdU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

The part at 40:45 where he uses tearblast arrows to skip half the cauldron is pretty brilliant.

HONK

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Yeah I think the swarm with "all matter is viable for use" and a massive reproductive head start is inevitably going to defeat anything human-friendly you send at it.

And wasn't there a log or two covering that the HT Swarm would also hack and control any other swarms that approached it?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Think of it as a counter fire, except one that you can actually turn off. Hartz-Timor eats one third of the biosphere, Old Lady Fly swarm eats another third but works in conjunction with O:EV human forces to starve out HT by “just” eating everything in the Pacific Ocean.

Yeah this is the plot hole though, because if the HT swarm can hack other swarms why can’t other swarms hack it back? It would just be a stalemate for 50 years surely.

Basically my reasoning is the same as the reason the earth isn’t covered in flies or bacteria or whatever else reproduces exponentially: predation. The only way it works otherwise is if HT wasn’t just unhackable but that it had actually cracked Black Quartz itself in a fraction of the time it took Artemis to accomplish. Or, I guess, if it had gotten such a head start that even with human assistance another swarm couldn’t cut it off and quarantine it.

Doing some (forgive me) wiki diving, they seem to setup corruption as a one way street and cant be double overridden:

Assuming corruptors were part of the OG swarm and not a HADES post GAIA invention:

HZD wiki posted:

It appears that overridden machines are immune to corruption, since the two Corruptors that Helis had commanded to kill Aloy were helpless to stop the three Ravagers from attacking and destroying them; they would doubtless have corrupted the Ravagers and had them help to pursue the escaping Aloy and Sylens if they could have done so. The implied immunity of overridden machines to corruption is logical given the use of the Corruptors' own slaving technology in the overriding process; the Corruptors would have been essentially slaving CPUs that were already slaved by their own technology, which is impossible. Likewise, Corrupted machines cannot be overridden for the same reason; it is not possible for the slaving technology to be used against itself.

I guess that leaves us with:
Was corruption/override purely HADES or was it part of the H-T or was the H-T just on a exponential runaway and no amount of other swarms would stop it?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Also any robot swarm we could control could be hacked by the HT swarm as well.

That's the one piece I remember but couldn't find.

I would have sworn there was a text/audio log that said "anything we sent just got turned against us by the HT into more HT"

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

I didn't see it as Elisabets corpse, just her suit. That the focus projected an image of her face into. But I could be misremembering

this is correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm planning on not getting a PS5 until this comes out and betting/hoping that there will be a nifty H:FW special edition console.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 18, 2020