Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Problem description:
Just upgraded my package from my ISP, got a brand new Hitron CODA-4582 router and the speed is terrific but a couple of things are wrong now that seem completely mysterious and rationally shouldn't be affected but it's definitely related.

I have a couple of ports I keep forwarded for applications and when I went to set it up again on this new router it just wouldn't work - the UI would give me every indication it worked and I know I'm doing it right (I'm not that tech savvy but I go into my router and forward a port) but every online port checker is telling me it's closed and the application I'm trying to run isn't working either.

The other thing is Universal Media Server just isn't working now even though nothing's changed except the router, it's still on the same hardline network with my PC, the router and my PS4 - it's a pretty simple application in that it just works usually but now it just won't find my PS4.

I've googled a lot to no avail really, the only suggestion I found was to check if UPnP is enabled and it is.

I also know that my router is able to forward ports just fine because uTorrent automatically sets up its own port and that one is open when I check it.

I'm at a total loss because these are simple things that should just work but they aren't.

Attempted fixes:
I haven't tried much of anything to fix this problem because I can't even begin to think of a way to troubleshoot something so aggravatingly simple. If you set up a forwarded port on your router and the router says it's all good but it's not all good that's the limit of my expertise and googling online only leads me to guides about how to forward a port - I may seem inept but I'm really sure this isn't user error because I've dodecadruple checked everything.

Recent changes: New router which is obviously the issue or part of it

Operating system: Win7 Pro

System specs: Hitron CODA-4582, not sure if the other hardware is relevant here since I'm strictly having network/router problems.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

edit: Things worked themselves out, I did a bunch of fiddling so I can't say for sure what did it but it was either disconnecting/forgetting what I think was the old Local Area Connection in Sharing Center or disabling a bunch of old junk ports on the router. Either way both issues are resolved and will hopefully stay that way.

Kaptain K fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread