Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Dolash posted:

Oh wait, one more thing - did anyone else do the historical society and when you go down the fire escape, end up back at the top again? I went down the fire escape, jumped down, then things went dark and suddenly I was back at the top. I can't tell if it's supposed to be a deliberate time loop or a bug.

That didn't happen with my go through and none of my friends who've played mentioned anything like that, so, prolly bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ahhh okay, thought it was supposed to be some spooky business.

Also Cat Mom is dressed as Ned Flanders.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doyODHwluaY

Hoping this game gets the "tons of awesome fan music" treatment it deserves.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 2, 2017

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

https://t.co/i6YYCRa8qi

Hoping this game gets the "tons of awesome fan music" treatment it deserves.

Oh poo poo, came here to post this. I know it might not fit the band's style but I wish Scott had snuck one ska song onto that soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KscLkUC3YAQ

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not gonna read anything in this thread because this game is so loving cool and I don't want to be spoiled until after I've played through it at least once, but this is SUCH a good representation of boring suburbia smalltown life and is executed amazingly so far.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I want to check my understanding on the supernatural elements, because I think the game laid it out clear enough to tell what's going on. The Cat and possibly the other animals that appear in dreams are Godly, but in the uncaring and distant way and whatever struggles they might have with the cosmos and the infinite bug horrors beyond the edges of the universe are disconnected from anything going on around Earth - it's basically good old Entropy and the apathetic universe business, even if they're a little more embodied and chatty than usual. The cult is real and does gain a supernatural benefit through interacting with what I think is meant to be one of those infinite horrors, since those things Hunger and throwing sacrifices in return for boons is classic cult business. The horror has been shaping and influencing Mae for years, and I think it and the cult wanted her to lead the next generation of sacrificers like the guy who founded it in the first place.

I don't think Mae meaningfully defeated the horror exactly, although by killing the cult and sealing the hole they've diminished its influence. I also think the Cat God is opposed to the horrors in its own way, and the way it talked of closing a tear makes me think the way is closed and Mae is safe for now even if they didn't do it out of any compassion for the 'little creatures'. Both the Cat God and Mae make the point that they can't actually destroy these horrors, both personal death and universal entropy are inevitable, but they can be pushed back each day and rejecting the cult's offer and the horror's influence are examples of not giving in to that sort of despair, which obviously matches the overall theme.

It'd be neat to see if there are any lasting consequences for Mae. She seems back to normal again in the epilogue, the threat of supernatural grooming looks over so that's at least some of her issues cleared up. Could she, at least in theory, go back to college now? Will she really tell her parents about any of this? Bea wondered if it'd be safe for her to travel and Mae thinks she can. And of course Gregg (who rules) and Angus are moving, there's still the mortgage drama to worry about...

They're not particularly important questions, though. There probably isn't enough material for a sequel but I wouldn't mind a follow-up of some kind further down the line. Although personally I like to imagine the four main characters (plus Germ) form a Scooby Doo team of paranormal investigators, driving around the county fighting ghosts and cults and such. Maybe on that road trip Mae wants to plan...?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Dolash posted:

They're not particularly important questions, though. There probably isn't enough material for a sequel but I wouldn't mind a follow-up of some kind further down the line. Although personally I like to imagine the four main characters (plus Germ) form a Scooby Doo team of paranormal investigators, driving around the county fighting ghosts and cults and such. Maybe on that road trip Mae wants to plan...?

That road trip mention instantly made me excited for a sequel where that happens. I need more time with this gang of adorable messes. Plus Germ. Not enough love for Germ in this thread, you guys.

I really enjoyed this game. Way too early to be making any favorite game of the year calls but I won't be surprised if this ends up near the top, and this is probably gonna be an annual play for me.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dolash posted:

It'd be neat to see if there are any lasting consequences for Mae. She seems back to normal again in the epilogue, the threat of supernatural grooming looks over so that's at least some of her issues cleared up. Could she, at least in theory, go back to college now? Will she really tell her parents about any of this? Bea wondered if it'd be safe for her to travel and Mae thinks she can. And of course Gregg (who rules) and Angus are moving, there's still the mortgage drama to worry about...

Mae does mention telling her parents about her problem at college. I'm not sure if she'll return immediately though but transfer to a local college so it'd be less isolating. Gregg and Angus do plan to move eventually but it wouldn't be anytime soon so she might stick around and do band practice for a bit. Then Bea will be working and I hope she eventually ends up owning the hardware shop from her father.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I missed a lot on my first run. The rats were a pleasant surprise this time.

EDIT:

AbstractNapper posted:

(I am also not a native English speaker, so that factors in too)
If your preferred language is German or Dutch, I might know enough to explain some of the dialog.

eatenmyeyes fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 2, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It's a very weird but good game. I enjoy it very much. I am at the epilogue now, and already I know I've missed tons of stuff...

I do wish that there was a more obvious reason about some places opening up and being accessible to May, because going around all over the town (and up the roofs) to find what (old or new) interactive points have new comments/content available is probably the most frustrating part of the gameplay for me. And that not only goes for new comments/conversations, but also doors being open or closed-off randomly (this happens up until and including the epilogue).

I thought that I could go to the cave under the bridge, that Germ showed us how to find... I thought it was a clever way to hide it (I never thought to jump downwards from the bridge) -- and even if it should be inaccessible before doing that with Germ, it would be nice to make it accessible afterwards).

I also wish I could go back to the campus site with Angus once I freed more scout messages, but nope, no option for that either....

It could work better if they let May hang around with her friends without ending the day right after most of those segments, so that you wouldn't miss out on other interactions within that day, and also allow you to do that across multiple days until you were ready to proceed with the more serious story stuff... Sort of like how most open world games work (or how the classic QFTG games -- especially the first one -- worked)

I did like the writing in this, the humor and the more serious parts, but when it got very deep/ philosophical or when certain characters struggled to give explanations, I was kind of lost. There were some spelling errors (some were deliberate, but some were apparently missed by QA testing) and then there was the particular way the characters spoke, and all those made certain (especially long) sentences hard to read and make sense (I am also not a native English speaker, so that factors in too) ... I guess some dialogue was also intentionally abstract, left incomplete or was supposed to make little sense. But I am left with the feeling that I didn't really understand certain characters' motivations or explanations for their actions.

I will say that though. I too had much of the stuff in the game hit very close to home. I didn't drop out of college, but someone very close to me did, because they couldn't handle it, and it was a very trying time for them and they needed all the support we could give them. But, additionally, for me simply coming home for the holidays after spending just a year away from my home-town and old friends who stayed back was not at all what I'd expected. Mostly, people being randomly unfriendly and taking a while to warm up / become friendly again, stuff changing way too drastically in their lives within the span of that year... Stuff like that.

Also sort of like May, I did have a very scary mental breakdown --not at college, but while studying for college-- which still haunts me to this day and affects my interactions with pretty much everyone in my life. So there was that too....Shapes

eatenmyeyes posted:

EDIT:

If your preferred language is German or Dutch, I might know enough to explain some of the dialog.
I'm Greek, and my German is worse than my English, but thank you for the offer!

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 2, 2017

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

AbstractNapper posted:

I did like the writing in this, the humor and the more serious parts, but when it got very deep/ philosophical or when certain characters struggled to give explanations, I was kind of lost. There were some spelling errors (some were deliberate, but some were apparently missed by QA testing) and then there was the particular way the characters spoke, and all those made certain (especially long) sentences hard to read and make sense (I am also not a native English speaker, so that factors in too) ... I guess some dialogue was also intentionally abstract, left incomplete or was supposed to make little sense. But I am left with the feeling that I didn't really understand certain characters' motivations or explanations for their actions.

Yeah, a lot of the attempts at some kind of deep or philosophical insight felt very hit-or-miss (often miss), though admittedly that kind of dialogue is extremely appropriate for a bunch of cynical young adults struggling with self-actualisation.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

goddamn the writing & characters were good. like they set out to document the 20-something fuckup experience and succeeded like a hundred percent

but. how the heck do you hang out with germ? i thought i'd explored all the areas of town as they opened up but clearly i missed wherever he lives.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Found Sound posted:

goddamn the writing & characters were good. like they set out to document the 20-something fuckup experience and succeeded like a hundred percent

but. how the heck do you hang out with germ? i thought i'd explored all the areas of town as they opened up but clearly i missed wherever he lives.

He hangs out by the Food Donkey past the diner and beyond. You might've missed it since the first few days Mae refuses to go out there.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
game blows

fbsw fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 2, 2017

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I found a decent upload of the second dream level music.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Edit: wrong character. Derp.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
loving Werewolf Jones.

NitW is really closer to TerribleTerribleTerrible tho

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
midwestern lamezone

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Just saw that apparently in the end there's two different endings based on who you hung out with more, Gregg or Bea. Whichever one you do three events with instead of one will be the one you briefly play as after Mae's disappearance, will take point during the rescue and will be the one you have the last conversation with in the end. I don't know for sure if you could do two hangouts with each of them, though I do remember trying to spread my time evenly between them and after the second Bea event got turned down by Gregg for his second event, so maybe it locks you in. Which would make sense, since the first event for both Gregg and Bea ends on a positive note so if you only do one of them it leaves that friendship in a good place before Mae can screw things up on the second one.

Speaking of the end, I wondered about what Bea had to say about Gregg and Angus's relationship. She was of the opinion they're just smalltown highschool sweethearts and once they move to a bigger city, meet new people, get new jobs or go to school, they'll grow, change and probably break up. In particular she thinks Angus will outgrow Gregg once he gets past the idea that Gregg saved him from the difficult time in his life where he was getting away from his abusive family. I'm no expert on relationships, but while I thought what she said was plausible, it was also sort of a cautious and conservative take from someone with a (not unjustified) cynical outlook. It seems just as plausible their shared history would keep them together, or if they drift apart a bit later they could still remain friends. Heck, if anything's going to cement a bond with someone it might be sort-of-accidentally killing a murder cult together.

I'd be interested to see what other people thought of what she said.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

Speaking of the end, I wondered about what Bea had to say about Gregg and Angus's relationship. She was of the opinion they're just smalltown highschool sweethearts and once they move to a bigger city, meet new people, get new jobs or go to school, they'll grow, change and probably break up. In particular she thinks Angus will outgrow Gregg once he gets past the idea that Gregg saved him from the difficult time in his life where he was getting away from his abusive family. I'm no expert on relationships, but while I thought what she said was plausible, it was also sort of a cautious and conservative take from someone with a (not unjustified) cynical outlook. It seems just as plausible their shared history would keep them together, or if they drift apart a bit later they could still remain friends. Heck, if anything's going to cement a bond with someone it might be sort-of-accidentally killing a murder cult together.

Pretty much the same as you. Bea's perspective definitely isn't unfounded, and young relationships like that tend to have too much importance placed on them by both sides and sputter out when the reality doesn't hold up. But if you hang out with Gregg more it's clear that their relationship definitely isn't shallow - Gregg is making conscious efforts to change for Angus' sake, and Angus clearly cares about Gregg for reasons beyond some vague sense of obligation for "saving" him. Bea's take is part realism and part cynicism/bitterness that they're getting out of Possum Springs while she's entombed at the hardware store.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dolash posted:

Perhaps? Bea is very cynical overall and she is only friends with Agnus so she doesn't know Gregg that well. I feel like most small town relationships are like that like Bea and Mae who started drifting apart once she left for college. In the end I think Gregg and Agnus have a healthy relationship even if it won't last forever and that's still worth it.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Second run took about 13 hours. I want to go through again, but I have no clue what I missed and I should be working on my résumé.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Nichael posted:

I found a decent upload of the second dream level music.

Awesome! For anyone who can identify it, what music genre would this be? The instruments make me think of polka or klezmer.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My absolute favorite bit in the game was near the end when Mae is rambling on about how she has to go into the cave alone to confront the cult because of the poo poo she's been going through and the rest of the gang just completely ignores her saying that because she's being loving stupid.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My absolute favorite bit in the game was near the end when Mae is rambling on about how she has to go into the cave alone to confront the cult because of the poo poo she's been going through and the rest of the gang just completely ignores her saying that because she's being loving stupid.

Angus put it best earlier in the game: "Mae, I don't think you're a bad person but I do not trust you with any part of this process."

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/regularcars/status/837389225825828865

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Just finished playing, very good game and very much hits that 20-ish feeling of "what the hell am I doing" I think.

How good are the other two side games, should I go pick them up as well?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

They're both good, but a little clunkier than the main game. Go play

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

RedMagus posted:

How good are the other two side games, should I go pick them up as well?

They're both short and sweet, but pretty good, just went through them both today. Only about an hour for both of em, with Longest Night only being like ten minutes. Lost Constellation is pretty much it's own thing; it's a cool little story. Well worth playing through them.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I never wanted this crossover. I didn't even want the Undertale one!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oddly good timing to play this and enjoy the anti-capitalist message, just got out of an academic talk about extracting more value for less money out of "gig economy" workers like people doing Amazon's mechanical turk. The researcher proudly predicted that the percentage of North Americans engaged in the gig economy will grow from 8% to 30% over ten years and we should position ourselves now to exploit this.

When Selmers burns down the silicon cities entomb me with these monsters.

Edit: My guess for what that bit of indecipherable dialogue Mae hears from the horror at the end translates to is "We can operationalize curiosity to incentivize workers without increasing pay."

Dolash fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 3, 2017

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
So, I saw some achievements on a friend's account that make me wonder if there's NG+ content (they were about the season changing), or if the game's achievement system is simply horribly bugged.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

N I G H T M A R E E Y E S.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Axelgear posted:

So, I saw some achievements on a friend's account that make me wonder if there's NG+ content (they were about the season changing), or if the game's achievement system is simply horribly bugged.

bugged i think

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Dolash posted:

Oddly good timing to play this and enjoy the anti-capitalist message, just got out of an academic talk about extracting more value for less money out of "gig economy" workers like people doing Amazon's mechanical turk. The researcher proudly predicted that the percentage of North Americans engaged in the gig economy will grow from 8% to 30% over ten years and we should position ourselves now to exploit this.

When Selmers burns down the silicon cities entomb me with these monsters.

Edit: My guess for what that bit of indecipherable dialogue Mae hears from the horror at the end translates to is "We can operationalize curiosity to incentivize workers without increasing pay."

capitalism rulz fuk off

but burn down the machine city anyway

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Axelgear posted:

That's just the achievement for beating the last chapter. It was bugged on release but should be fixed now. Reload your game file to get them, should get them upon resuming, even if you beat the game and it just loads up the final cutscene again.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed that in the last scene a door is being forced open while the first scene portrays a door being fixed. I'm still trying to get a read on the janitor. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the choices for the expository text may subtly alter the game, ditto which of the two investigation are pursued.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm pleased to see they nailed the 12V car batteries can electrocute you trope.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

eatenmyeyes posted:

I just noticed that in the last scene a door is being forced open while the first scene portrays a door being fixed. I'm still trying to get a read on the janitor. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the choices for the expository text may subtly alter the game, ditto which of the two investigation are pursued.

Could you elaborate? I'm pretty sure that which of Gregg or Bea takes point in the rescue is based off of who you hang out with more, but I didn't see more than superficial dialogue changes from which two investigations you do, like Angus and Bea talking about whether the cultists looked like the person they saw at the graveyard/cliff depending on which of them did what.

The janitor guy's also pretty neat but I don't think he plays a role besides being sort of generically mysterious. If he intervened at any point to help Mae, pass on information, foil the cult, interact with the horrors or the forest gods, I didn't see it. At most I figured he might've had an inkling about what was going on and was just sort of observing.

Oh, also just remembered that at the church there's a goat I'd never seen before who makes ominous suggestions about who Mae would blame for being attacked if she ever wakes up. I have to assume that was one of the cult members? He's not the one who attacks at the elevator, who's the only one we get a look at, I think that guy was a cat. I picked up a screenshot of that guy's silhouette for comparison and I finally understand the weird beak thing coming out of the hood is a miner's helmet flashlight:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dolash posted:

I picked up a screenshot of that guy's silhouette for comparison and I finally understand the weird beak thing coming out of the hood is a miner's helmet flashlight:

drat, I never noticed that. That's a great detail.