Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Well this has been some seriously crazy times. Has any other game had this level of drama behind it?

The "drama" in this case has basically nothing to do with the game itself and the events seem to have all taken place years before development even started.

Tons of games have been actual shitshows behind the scenes far beyond this scope, but this isn't really a comparable case. People are going to have very complicated feelings about this game, and rightfully so, but it's more to do with the composer and programmer being outed as an abuser than anything that actually to do with the development of the game.

Larryb posted:

To be fair, the only involvement Alec had with the game was the music. Still sucks though as there were a lot of really good tracks on there.

He coded the dang thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh hey there are a ton of new posts in the NIght in the Woods thread I wonder what happened!

Oh :(

E: Alec codes every part of the game that was not related to the dialogue system. So yeah, the game is basically impossible to divorce from him.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I wish I could cancel culture gamers

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

He coded the dang thing

Ah, nevermind then.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Just so people know, the developers of Night in the Woods released this statement a few hours before the news came out about Alex's death, which describes what exactly the situation is and Alex's role in the game's making. I think it is important to read, especially now, so your memories of the game aren't tainted by what happened. It still is a tragic situation regardless.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NightInTheWoods/comments/cxqjp8/end_of_summer_backer_update/

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
What did she accuse him of exactly? I read the post and she talks about being raped but not by him. By someone else, who she has forgiven, and she calls this guy out for mostly being mean and a very bad boyfriend. It’s all vaguely worded to constitute “abuse” but no specifics that could be interpreted as rape other than the “leading me around the house” comment.

So what’s the justification for throwing this guy under the bus like he’s Bill Cosby? I’m not defending anyone I just don’t get why this was such a huge deal. People in relationships are awful to each other; that’s why they break up.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Am I bad for not liking that he killed himself?

I feel like I'm an alien here or something because I see that he killed himself and I'm just thinking about how I do not feel comfortable with applauding his decision.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bad day posted:

What did she accuse him of exactly? I read the post and she talks about being raped but not by him. By someone else, who she has forgiven, and she calls this guy out for mostly being mean and a very bad boyfriend. It’s all vaguely worded to constitute “abuse” but no specifics that could be interpreted as rape other than the “leading me around the house” comment.

So what’s the justification for throwing this guy under the bus like he’s Bill Cosby? I’m not defending anyone I just don’t get why this was such a huge deal. People in relationships are awful to each other; that’s why they break up.

Forcing yourself on someone else sexually is rape/sexual assault

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like I'm an alien here or something because I see that he killed himself and I'm just thinking about how I do not feel comfortable with applauding his decision.

No. Despite him doing some awful things it still feels gross to be celebrating a suicide.

He should have faced justice and had a chance to change.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bad day posted:

I wasn't aware that being mentally and physically abusive was a-ok up until the rape line was crossed, guess you learn something new every day

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

bad day posted:

If you need someone to explain to you that shoving your fingers inside a woman against her will and "leading her around the house" is an incredibly dehumanizing form of sexual abuse and justification in it's own right for her to call him out I don't know what you tell you. Do you really need other examples of her abuse?

Women don't need to dissect every inch of their sexual trauma for you or the world. Saying "This person sexually abused me" should be enough. When a woman says that to you, you don't reply with "How exactly?"

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think applauding Holowkas suicide helps the victims (or anyone else) in any way.

Kanine fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 31, 2019

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

FirstAidKite posted:

What? No. Never cheer suicide. The best thing Alec could have done would have been to come out, admit his wrongdoing, get help for his mental illnesses, and put in hard, serious work towards abuse organizations. He should have made a change in his life and worked towards making amends towards those he hurt, and others who have also been hurt. He should have taken responsibility for his actions.

Suicide was not the right answer. Suicide is horrific and harms everyone around you. Nobody should be comfortable applauding that.

This whole situation bums me out so much. More than any other celebrity from the #MeToo movement. Night in the Woods means a lot to me. I don't know if I can still enjoy it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

More than anything else I just feel awful for Scott and Bethany, as well as Zoe Quinn (who's been through enough poo poo in her life at this point that's all getting stirred up again). Like yeah it sucks that a game I love is tainted in some weird way but the real human impact on people who's work I really enjoy is the worst cost of all this.

I also can't for the life of me comprehend the cognitive dissonance it must take to enjoy NITW and its message and still become a lovely gamergate moron over the situation.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

bad day posted:

If you read that tweet and you think it's "mean" and "very bad boyfriend" rather than "abusive rapey shithead", then you really need to recalibrate your views. Like, did you miss the part where she couldn't leave because he was ostensibly paying her fare back?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kidcoelacanth posted:

More than anything else I just feel awful for Scott and Bethany, as well as Zoe Quinn (who's been through enough poo poo in her life at this point that's all getting stirred up again). Like yeah it sucks that a game I love is tainted in some weird way but the real human impact on people who's work I really enjoy is the worst cost of all this.

I also can't for the life of me comprehend the cognitive dissonance it must take to enjoy NITW and its message and still become a lovely gamergate moron over the situation.

i can guarantee none of the shitheads jumping on zoe quinn have ever played a night in the woods. they are vultures.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
When totalbiscuit died people said worse things and celebrated more and though I'm fuzzy on the details of what he did, I'm pretty sure he did not rape anyone.

Nothing good is happening right now. Refraining from saying more than that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Master Twig posted:

What? No. Never cheer suicide.

Okay good because I've already seen some people saying it's a good thing he is dead and that everything is better now that he killed himself and I've seen it from enough people that I started thinking that somehow I was in the wrong here for not cheering on a suicide

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't think anyone here has said they're happy with his death. Mostly I just feel sad, especially for people like his sister, Scott, Bethany, Zoe, and everyone else who was close to him and has been affected by his actions. They didn't deserve any of this, and they're going through hell because of it.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 31, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i can guarantee none of the shitheads jumping on zoe quinn have ever played a night in the woods. they are vultures.

loving seriously, less than a week ago they would have been calling Scott a cuck on twitter. gently caress all of those shitheads.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Suicide should never be celebrated because it’s a selfish cowardly act and while I’m not surprised that the rapey shithead’s last act was one that only furthers pain and suffering, sympathy should still always be with those close to him and with his victims

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

FirstAidKite posted:

Okay good because I've already seen some people saying it's a good thing he is dead and that everything is better now that he killed himself and I've seen it from enough people that I started thinking that somehow I was in the wrong here for not cheering on a suicide
I think there are a lot of people here who don't assign his life any value, because over the last few years we've had the ideas that all life is precious and no-one is beyond redemption seared out of us. (And if you've still got those beliefs, that certainly doesn't make you a bad person.) But I don't think anyone is happy that he killed himself specifically, since it robs his victims of closure and causes a massive shitstorm centered on a whole bunch of people who don't deserve it.

Speaking of which, I think those of us who backed the game should leave supportive comments on the Kickstarter update - Scott and Bethany were already feeling awful, so I can't imagine what it's going to be like for them now.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Suicide should never be celebrated because it’s a selfish cowardly act and while I’m not surprised that the rapey shithead’s last act was one that only furthers pain and suffering, sympathy should still always be with those close to him and with his victims

uhhhhh

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

pumpinglemma posted:

DID you miss the part where she couldn't leave because he was ostensibly paying her fare back?

And this constitutes imprisonment? I don’t doubt from her own perception she was trapped in his house and unable to leave but nobody seems to have actually imprisoned her. And she doesn’t say she was imprisoned. Nothing she talks about in the tweet seems to be a valid criminal complaint. Saying cruel things to someone might constitute “mental abuse” in 2019 but it’s not illegal. Fingering your girlfriend is assault if she says no, but she just kind of throws that out there as an aside with no explanation.

I understand the post is cleverly written in such a way that people will imagine the worst without technically stating what happened. So people are going to assume the worst. But publicly litigating non-crimes from your interpersonal relationships on Twitter is a bad thing to do, if only because the person you are encouraging total strangers to send death threats to might actually kill themselves.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bad day posted:

And this constitutes imprisonment? I don’t doubt from her own perception she was trapped in his house and unable to leave but nobody seems to have actually imprisoned her. And she doesn’t say she was imprisoned. Nothing she talks about in the tweet seems to be a valid criminal complaint. Saying cruel things to someone might constitute “mental abuse” in 2019 but it’s not illegal. Fingering your girlfriend is assault if she says no, but she just kind of throws that out there as an aside with no explanation.

I understand the post is cleverly written in such a way that people will imagine the worst without technically stating what happened. So people are going to assume the worst. But publicly litigating non-crimes from your interpersonal relationships on Twitter is a bad thing to do, if only because the person you are encouraging total strangers to send death threats to might actually kill themselves.

jesus christ

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

bad day posted:

gently caress off.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

me, extremely intelligent: ah, but you see, there's nothing in the rule book that says this is bad, therefore

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

bad day posted:

But publicly litigating non-crimes from your interpersonal relationships on Twitter is a bad thing to do, if only because the person you are encouraging total strangers to send death threats to might actually kill themselves.

you are flat out making this poo poo up

he killed himself because his years of abuse caught up with him, and that's nobody's fault but his own

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

pumpinglemma posted:

I think there are a lot of people here who don't assign his life any value, because over the last few years we've had the ideas that all life is precious and no-one is beyond redemption seared out of us.

Pretty much. Just because he's dead doesn't make him any less of a shithead.

Feel bad for Zoe, once again his victim despite her doing nothing wrong

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I understand she's dealing with a lot right now but cripes his sister could just say 'the allegations are correct' instead of 'he ~caused harm~'. the wording of this statements just feels like shes doing apologia for his actions. which, i get why, obviously, but jeez.

I don't think his actions deserve a literal death penalty and mental illness is a complex topic in terms of what it can make you do and how you cope with it, but I'm more upset for the people who have to deal with this than for the loss of him.

bad day posted:

hot take but if you are literally forcing a woman to have sex with you via blackmailing them with money that they need to go home then that's rape. you might not physically force them to have sex with you, but that's still rape. being a bad boyfriend would be losing the money or spending it all on weed or something. being a rapist is intentionally withholding the money in order to have sexual and physical control over them.

also, you know, the part where he forcibly sexually violated her. he didnt whip out his dick but if that's your qualification to be a rapist then what do you think happens in cases of one woman assaulting another.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Endorph posted:

I understand she's dealing with a lot right now but cripes his sister could just say 'the allegations are correct' instead of 'he ~caused harm~'. the wording of this statements just feels like shes doing apologia for his actions. which, i get why, obviously, but jeez.

I imagine she doesn't really have the means to confirm allegations one way or the other.

Endorph posted:

hot take but if you are literally forcing a woman to have sex with you via blackmailing them with money that they need to go home then that's rape. you might not physically force them to have sex with you, but that's still rape. being a bad boyfriend would be losing the money or spending it all on weed or something. being a rapist is intentionally withholding the money in order to have sexual and physical control over them.

also, you know, the part where he forcibly sexually violated her. he didnt whip out his dick but if that's your qualification to be a rapist then what do you think happens in cases of one woman assaulting another.

sorry pal but if you look at my official rape score card you'll see that this was all above board

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bad day posted:

youre gonna get banned so im just gonna say before you go: please never, ever date, or have children.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bad day posted:

You're a real piece of garbage and this forum would be better without you.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I hope Zoe calls out a bunch more indie devs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

bad day posted:

Two things.

One, you should really log off the internet and take a good long sit and think about why this might be a really lovely thing to post.

Two, as Scott has said in multiple updates, Zoe's account was corroborated by numerous other stories from others, to the point that women were actively being warned not to be alone in the same room with him. That's pretty good evidence towards being a sexually abusive shithead!

please leave

e: like "Cleverly written" Jesus what is wrong with you?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think cheering on the deaths of abusers/rapists actually fixes anything about the situation besides offering catharsis to people who aren't even personally involved.

If the entire focus on an issue like this is about punishment, the result is the offenders just trying harder to avoid punishment instead of seeking help/actually make amends for what they did.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm glad we can all come together in times like these to recognize some fantastically bad Posting

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

bad day posted:

publicly litigating non-crimes

Did you read her actual post or are you replying on a youtuber's summary because holy poo poo dude this sort of reply is deeply, comprehensively wrong

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Endorph posted:

I understand she's dealing with a lot right now so let me nitpick the wording of a post from someone who is going through hell right as she writes it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Is there a deadpool for Alex Lifschitz?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)