Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Oxxidation posted:

In regards to the ending, I have to wonder how much of the town's up-and-down prosperity was due to the Black Goat, and how much of it was just happenstance that the cultists placed too much faith in. While the Black Goat and its "gifts" are almost definitely real, assuming it's that giant silhouette that Mae chats up, its attitude doesn't jive at all with how the cultists describe it - it talks about "little creatures" who come to it begging for answers but don't listen, insists that the only thing in the universe is the "menacing existence" of meaningless atoms, and alludes to "pulling the tear shut," which suggests it's thinking about retreating to wherever it came from and abandoning the cult entirely. That's a pretty sharp departure from the cult saying that the Black Goat goes "I'm hungry, throw people down the hole to make your economy show good numbers and not bad ones."

If that metaphor holds up, then the Cult of the Black Goat consists of a bunch of conservative, self-centered old men sacrificing the community's poor and disadvantaged in order to benefit a system that they believe they control directly but is actually far outside of their scope or willingness to comprehend. Kind of on-the-nose, but I appreciate the metaphor.

e: also those city council jag-offs were absolutely cultists and I'm glad they're dead

I think the silhouette Mae talks to in the dream is meant to be one of the old forest gods - the "present and uncaring" type of God mentioned by the weird teens - and the Black Goat is the incomprehensible darkness she encounters after falling in the spring.

Ultimately though, it doesn't really change anything - given the emphasis on pattern seeking and the desire to believe life is controllable the game discusses, it definitely seems like the cultists latched on to the first thing they could convince themselves would help, and the actual existence/benefits of those things is kinda irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Arkannoyed posted:

Deleted and redownloaded, started a new playthrough, still no pipe. No one else is having this problem on the PS4 version?

At least in my playthrough, the pipe just sort of showed up a day or two after I got access to that area. No idea why, guess maybe the construction wasn't 100% done there.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

repiv posted:

so far it's only confirmed for the PS4 and PS5, but i don't think they specifically said its exclusive to playstation

website that's now up shows Steam as well, announcement just said PS4/PS5 presumably as part of standard publisher direct shenanigans